Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Fanfic Recs / What Are You Reading

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fanfic Recs / What Are You Reading

Post by swicked on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:06 am

Rites of Ascension
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/39849/rites-of-ascension

Story about, primarily, Twilight's ascension into alicornhood (if it were a more gradual process) and the growing rebellion within the empire after Celestia was defeated and locked away by not just her sister, but Crysalis, then Discord, and Sombra not being handled personally, and... you get the picture. Ponies are pissed and many have lost faith in the government.
So, now that Twilight's been brought into the fold as the new "Grand Mage" (a title Celestia and Luna give to those undergoing the ascension process so that they can get used to their alicorn duties and stay close to Canterlot to learn their alicorn state secrets), she has to help deal with this rebellion that happens to be focusing a rather large effort on killing off this pony that appears to be a pretty big deal, even if they don't know exactly why she's apparently so important...

It's a pretty fun read. The author ADORES his headcanon. He drops lore, backstory, world building, the physics of the arcane, etc. every couple pages. If he isn't doing so, it often seems like he's just having his characters go somewhere to do it some more. He even has a second "story" that's just third wall-breaking explanations of MORE of his headcanon along these lines as explained by the various characters in the fic.

His prereaders/fans claim him to be a master of foreshadowing, but it seems more like he throws so much into the story constantly that he could literally do anything with the following chapter and it will have been foreshadowed somehow. Casual mentions of forgotten schools of magic, name drops with the follow-up being that their whereabouts are currently unknown, references to past friends or foes that could reemerge or did poorly-documented things Twilight may or may not eventually learn about, characters listing off multiple possible plans an enemy could take or has taken with no idea what, exactly, WAS done... a regular Chekhov's Armoury.
All of this with everything not ultimately touched-upon becoming "red herrings". I have a difficult time trying to speculate with this much stuff just laying around.

Still, the story is pretty engaging, so I would recommend it. 7/10.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 am

Hm, yes, it does seem to be pretty good so far (about midway through the second non-prologue chapter); thanks.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:06 pm

Odrsjot has been concluded. The journey continues with Urohringr.

Last edited by RoboRed on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:04 pm

The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments by Wanderer D

The Sweetie Chronicles is one to be thanked for for introducing me to a handful of great fanfics, but it's also a great fanfic in itself. The story revolves around Sweetie Belle (obviously), who has been studying magic under Twilight Sparkle, and proving herself to be quite adept at it. However, an accident occurs which fragments Twilight across time and space, and Sweetie makes it her mission ot rescue her lost mentor. It's alsmot like a Quantum Leap sort of thing the way its plays out.

The interesting part is this: each jump takes her to some random place in another fanfiction, with Sweetie taking the form of the Sweetie Belle from that fic. Some of them are funny, some of them are frightening and suspenseful, others full of emotion. And along the way, Sweetie grows as a person every time she jumps from one world to the next. She deals with her own worries, anxieties, problems, observations from the places she visits, and questions she has. There's more substance to this fic than world-jumping.

Worried about crummy fics? Don't be. I mean, for one thing, this is Wanderer D we're talking about. Popular fic writer, one who offers blog posts giving tips and advice on how to better write other fics (often posting advice from other popular fic writers such as Pen Stroke, Cold In Gardez, Vimbert, etc), and esteemed mod of FIMfic. (And he loves Project Horizons, too! I mean seriously, can we fault this guy?) He picks quality fics before starting to write. I've actually started following almost all the fics linked in this one. They are really good works by themselves.

This is a really great story, and I recommend it.

RoboRed wrote:
- The Sweetie Belle Chronicles (something I've also been meaning to post about and will later) is scheduled to have it's next chapter have Sweetie cross into the twilit wastes of EoP.
Hooray me: King of the slow people. I actually did it.

Last edited by RoboRed on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:20 pm

I can also recommend that, though it's been an unpleasantly long time since the most recent update.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Indeed. More so since the next update is something I am REALLY looking forward to since it's supposed to be in EoP.

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:31 am

RoboRed wrote:Indeed. More so since the next update is something I am REALLY looking forward to since it's supposed to be in EoP.
...what's that acronym stand for, again?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:39 am

The End of Ponies
I've not read it, though.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:45 am

O. Hinds wrote:The End of Ponies
I've not read it, though.
Ah.
What's it about?
I mean, other than the last pony going back in time to see her friends again and probably try to forestall the apocalypse.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:53 am

[shrugs]
I'm waiting either to feel like reading it or for The Sweetie Chronicles to update.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:55 am

Ah.
Well, I have enough fics to go through without adding another just because of its rating.
I feel severally disinclined to trying Sweetie Chronicles entirely because I heard puppysmiles is in it.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:10 am

She is, yes. I mean, I understand why the author did it; visiting pretty much any other FoE story would have sent the rating skyrocketing and horribly scarred Sweetie Belle pretty early. And while we might find such dark grimness amusing, a lot of people wouldn't.

Still, I'd say that that's one of the greatest flaws and strengths of the fic: while I rather like the way Sweetie is being written, the very nature of the story ensures that the setting and other characters keep changing, for good and for ill. Her work with the time loop in The Best Night Ever I liked, for instance.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:09 am

O. Hinds wrote:She is, yes.  I mean, I understand why the author did it; visiting pretty much any other FoE story would have sent the rating skyrocketing and horribly scarred Sweetie Belle pretty early.
You've read Pink Eyes, right? 'Cause no, horrible stuff happens around puppysmiles the entire time, the "filly" just remains completely oblivious to it all while raiders rip her open and die horribly, melting around her. She attacks robot armies that have ripped apart entire populations and beats them all to death with a rock.
While meeting with a trainwreck like silver bullet might have been scarring, coming across Littlepip, Calamity and Velvet at the right time probably would have been fine, I would think.

...then again, I don't really know the context, here. Regardless, plenty of other fics.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Haven't read TSChronicles except for the chapter on Puppysmiles. Waiting on the Blackjack one. Really want to see how they pull that chapter off.

Need more fics to put on list. All the ones in my favorites I'm waiting to update. Article 2 and Misunderstandings are the HiE fics that I'm waiting for updates most.

With exceptions, don't really like [Random] fics. Any good recommendations?
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:46 pm

swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:She is, yes.  I mean, I understand why the author did it; visiting pretty much any other FoE story would have sent the rating skyrocketing and horribly scarred Sweetie Belle pretty early.
You've read Pink Eyes, right? 'Cause no, horrible stuff happens around puppysmiles the entire time, the "filly" just remains completely oblivious to it all while raiders rip her open and die horribly, melting around her. She attacks robot armies that have ripped apart entire populations and beats them all to death with a rock.
While meeting with a trainwreck like silver bullet might have been scarring, coming across Littlepip, Calamity and Velvet at the right time probably would have been fine, I would think.

...then again, I don't really know the context, here. Regardless, plenty of other fics.
Eh, it's been a while, and I never finished it. I do know that TSC stayed away from the really dark (well, by our standards) stuff, though.

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Haven't read TSChronicles except for the chapter on Puppysmiles. Waiting on the Blackjack one. Really want to see how they pull that chapter off.
Oh, is that more than a rumor?

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Need more fics to put on list. All the ones in my favorites I'm waiting to update. Article 2 and Misunderstandings are the HiE fics that I'm waiting for updates most.

With exceptions, don't really like [Random] fics. Any good recommendations?
Have you tried Asylum, Vision, and Night's Favoured Child? Those are the first three that come to my mind. Of the Hive and Tastes Like Heresy? Since you mentioned liking from HiE stories, Project: Sunflower? And there's the Winningverse, which swicked and I have of late been making dark speculations about (You could join us, perhaps!)... I read a lot.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 pm

@Hinds
Favorited, Added to Reading List, Favorited. Added, Added. Favorited a long time ago (Pretty sure I have most of the 'good' HiE fics on my favorites list).
Winnningverse is neck deep in romance, isn't it? While I do occasionally enjoy romance in a story (as long as it doesn't come abruptly or for no reason whatsoever), not entirely my cup of tea.

Thanks for the recommendations. I was actually trying to ask for any [Random] stories that y'all enjoy. That genre so far is not my cup of tea.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:36 pm

SK, have you already read everything recommended so far in this thread?
Additionally, the branch of the winningverse I am reading has essentially no romance outside a single unrequited love. It is set in the past and full of deception and intrigue, instead. I hate shipping and romance so yeah, I'm with you, there.

Plus, hinds and my discussion mostly involves the idea that the whole thing is wrapped up in a MASSIVE conspiracy :D

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Aye.  I was hoping that we could get someone else looking at evidence from the present Winningverse, but most of our work revolves around events in almost-completely-romanceless stories set some nine hundred years previously.  We set up a thread here for our discussions; feel free to have a poke around.

Regarding Random stories, I'll go run a search of my Favourites.

Also, swicked, if you're speaking of what I think you're speaking of... are you sure it was unrequited?  I got the impression, particularly from RotPE, that it was two-sided but with both parties feeling that it would be improper to acknowledge it.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Also, your request and my subsequent search have gotten me rereading Winning, and the pitfalls therein., which is still quite good.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Now I have quite a collection of stories to read. Thanks! Depending on how hooked I get on them, I might finish them in a week or two.

Also Pitfalls is one of my favorite AU stories. Pragmatic!Twi is best Twilight, with Badass!Twi very close.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:00 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Also, swicked, if you're speaking of what I think you're speaking of... are you sure it was unrequited?  I got the impression, particularly from RotPE, that it was two-sided but with both parties feeling that it would be improper to acknowledge it.
Different type of unrequited. Unsatisfied and unrealized.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Ah, I didn't know that there were different types.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:09 pm

Is this thread just for MLP Fanfic, or is any fanfic acceptable? Cause I'm currently following fanfics set in the universes of Halo, Mass Effect, Borderlands, Stargate, Naruto, Marvel, and DC Comics as well.
jacky2734
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:18 pm

jacky2734 wrote:Is this thread just for MLP Fanfic, or is any fanfic acceptable? Cause I'm currently following fanfics set in the universes of Halo, Mass Effect, Borderlands, Stargate, Naruto, Marvel, and DC Comics as well.
I think the thread's meant for horse-related derivative works.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Designing Intrigue

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/53321/designing-intrigue

Canon with Rites of Ascension.
Rarity is a spy.
This thing is an absolute blast to read so far. 9/10.
Rites released a new chapter, recently, that is also quite awesome.
I like this CvBrony  Dancing PinkiePie

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Sounds intriguing. I shall take a look.

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:53 pm

RoboRed wrote:Sounds intriguing. I shall take a look.

There's only two short chapters to this Rarity thing so far and all I can really say about them without spoilers is that they are VERY fun.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Loud_Taffy on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:03 pm

I just finished reading Silent Ponyville. I was like WTF Twilight has a Silent Hill spell!?

Could you imagine that in Final Fantasy?

Cloud- cast Silent Hill

Sephiroth- got the f#&k out of there and lost

Cloud- wins at the cost of his soul
Loud_Taffy
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 4

Character List:
Name: Loud Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Starting to dip my fingers in Rites. So apparently Unicorn Master Race, as it seems they are the only ones to become alicorns? Dialogue is entertaining enought, but yeah I really see the world dumping that you mentioned.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down