Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanfic Recs / What Are You Reading

+14
Luminous Lead
Vinylshadow
JadedPony
Loud_Taffy
jacky2734
OneMoreDaySK
O. Hinds
brony all alone
Third Wind
Scienza
RoboRed
Kippershy
Formis_Fluttergod
Valikdu
18 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Fanfic Recs / What Are You Reading - Page 2 Empty Re: Fanfic Recs / What Are You Reading

Post by RoboRed Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:38 pm

Indeed. More so since the next update is something I am REALLY looking forward to since it's supposed to be in EoP.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Fanfic Recs / What Are You Reading - Page 2 Empty Re: Fanfic Recs / What Are You Reading

Post by O. Hinds Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:39 am

The End of Ponies
I've not read it, though.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:53 am

[shrugs]
I'm waiting either to feel like reading it or for The Sweetie Chronicles to update.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:10 am

She is, yes. I mean, I understand why the author did it; visiting pretty much any other FoE story would have sent the rating skyrocketing and horribly scarred Sweetie Belle pretty early. And while we might find such dark grimness amusing, a lot of people wouldn't.

Still, I'd say that that's one of the greatest flaws and strengths of the fic: while I rather like the way Sweetie is being written, the very nature of the story ensures that the setting and other characters keep changing, for good and for ill. Her work with the time loop in The Best Night Ever I liked, for instance.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Haven't read TSChronicles except for the chapter on Puppysmiles. Waiting on the Blackjack one. Really want to see how they pull that chapter off.

Need more fics to put on list. All the ones in my favorites I'm waiting to update. Article 2 and Misunderstandings are the HiE fics that I'm waiting for updates most.

With exceptions, don't really like [Random] fics. Any good recommendations?
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:46 pm

swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:She is, yes.  I mean, I understand why the author did it; visiting pretty much any other FoE story would have sent the rating skyrocketing and horribly scarred Sweetie Belle pretty early.
You've read Pink Eyes, right? 'Cause no, horrible stuff happens around puppysmiles the entire time, the "filly" just remains completely oblivious to it all while raiders rip her open and die horribly, melting around her. She attacks robot armies that have ripped apart entire populations and beats them all to death with a rock.
While meeting with a trainwreck like silver bullet might have been scarring, coming across Littlepip, Calamity and Velvet at the right time probably would have been fine, I would think.

...then again, I don't really know the context, here. Regardless, plenty of other fics.
Eh, it's been a while, and I never finished it. I do know that TSC stayed away from the really dark (well, by our standards) stuff, though.

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Haven't read TSChronicles except for the chapter on Puppysmiles. Waiting on the Blackjack one. Really want to see how they pull that chapter off.
Oh, is that more than a rumor?

OneMoreDaySK wrote:Need more fics to put on list. All the ones in my favorites I'm waiting to update. Article 2 and Misunderstandings are the HiE fics that I'm waiting for updates most.

With exceptions, don't really like [Random] fics. Any good recommendations?
Have you tried Asylum, Vision, and Night's Favoured Child? Those are the first three that come to my mind. Of the Hive and Tastes Like Heresy? Since you mentioned liking from HiE stories, Project: Sunflower? And there's the Winningverse, which swicked and I have of late been making dark speculations about (You could join us, perhaps!)... I read a lot.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 pm

@Hinds
Favorited, Added to Reading List, Favorited. Added, Added. Favorited a long time ago (Pretty sure I have most of the 'good' HiE fics on my favorites list).
Winnningverse is neck deep in romance, isn't it? While I do occasionally enjoy romance in a story (as long as it doesn't come abruptly or for no reason whatsoever), not entirely my cup of tea.

Thanks for the recommendations. I was actually trying to ask for any [Random] stories that y'all enjoy. That genre so far is not my cup of tea.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Aye.  I was hoping that we could get someone else looking at evidence from the present Winningverse, but most of our work revolves around events in almost-completely-romanceless stories set some nine hundred years previously.  We set up a thread here for our discussions; feel free to have a poke around.

Regarding Random stories, I'll go run a search of my Favourites.

Also, swicked, if you're speaking of what I think you're speaking of... are you sure it was unrequited?  I got the impression, particularly from RotPE, that it was two-sided but with both parties feeling that it would be improper to acknowledge it.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Okay, here's what came up, ordered by site rating and omitting any tagged Romance:
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/49368/sunflower-side-projects
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/59831/winning-and-the-pitfalls-therein
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/57796/through-the-lookingglass-and-what-pinkie-found-there
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/81282/on-the-line
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/103728/twilights-secret
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/68479/the-many-deaths-of-rainbow-dash
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/39965/chaos-and-laughter
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/98432/the-royal-family
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/120721/discords-very-first-faithful-student
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/171916/a-series-of-events
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/149157/two-tribes
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Also, your request and my subsequent search have gotten me rereading Winning, and the pitfalls therein., which is still quite good.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:35 pm

Now I have quite a collection of stories to read. Thanks! Depending on how hooked I get on them, I might finish them in a week or two.

Also Pitfalls is one of my favorite AU stories. Pragmatic!Twi is best Twilight, with Badass!Twi very close.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:50 pm

Ah, I didn't know that there were different types.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:09 pm

Is this thread just for MLP Fanfic, or is any fanfic acceptable? Cause I'm currently following fanfics set in the universes of Halo, Mass Effect, Borderlands, Stargate, Naruto, Marvel, and DC Comics as well.
jacky2734
jacky2734
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:18 pm

jacky2734 wrote:Is this thread just for MLP Fanfic, or is any fanfic acceptable? Cause I'm currently following fanfics set in the universes of Halo, Mass Effect, Borderlands, Stargate, Naruto, Marvel, and DC Comics as well.
I think the thread's meant for horse-related derivative works.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Sounds intriguing. I shall take a look.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Loud_Taffy Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:03 pm

I just finished reading Silent Ponyville. I was like WTF Twilight has a Silent Hill spell!?

Could you imagine that in Final Fantasy?

Cloud- cast Silent Hill

Sephiroth- got the f#&k out of there and lost

Cloud- wins at the cost of his soul
Fanfic Recs / What Are You Reading - Page 2 Rainbo11
Loud_Taffy
Loud_Taffy
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 4

Character List:
Name: Loud Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Starting to dip my fingers in Rites. So apparently Unicorn Master Race, as it seems they are the only ones to become alicorns? Dialogue is entertaining enought, but yeah I really see the world dumping that you mentioned.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:24 am

This. I was literally sobbing at the end. I kept having to stop and wait until I could breath and see properly again. This happens to me so rarely that I'm not even sure how to describe how rarely it happens to me. My eyes generally only water even a little due to allergies or a cold. To me, "sad" stories usually, if that have that sort of effect on me at all, almost always top out with a frown and an "Aww, that's sad." This is an exception. I'm sorry, I know that the quality of this composition is likely lacking in some ways, but I'm still a bit swept up. Anyway, it has my recommendation. It is very much in want of upvotes, in my opinion.

But no, swicked, I won't be offended if you laugh when you see the subject matter. I am aware that these two things are likely related. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:39 am

I have that fic on my to-read list. I tried getting through it a couple days ago, but my brain wouldn't stop playing very-mismatched music. And nothing ruins sad and potential feels like mismatching music.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:28 pm

swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:But no, swicked, I won't be offended if you laugh when you see the subject matter.  I am aware that these two things are likely related.  :)
...you say that like you think I'm the only one who knows you put the "loco" in "locomotive".
Well, you're the most vocal about it on here, to my knowledge.  And you really shouldn't say that; there are people far, far more obsessed than I am.  :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 pm

Eh, like I said, I'm not offended.  I'm aware that I have somewhat odd tastes at times.
MN7 Spoilers:

edit: ...Also, what a strange world we live in where the colorful friendship ponies are perfectly normal and it's the interest in railways that's odd. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 am

Anyone like Marvel or DC crossovers with MLP? There's a writer by the name of <a href=https://www.fimfiction.net/user/Onomonopia">Onomonopia</a> that's done a couple of stories, with some overarching plot and mysterious forces working in the background. Balance is heavily in the hero's favor in combat, and the ponies more or less act as morality pets. They're ok to me, not the best stories in the world though.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Loud_Taffy Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:55 pm

I just finished the first ch. of my new FimFic Silent Fractures. come see if you want too.
Loud_Taffy
Loud_Taffy
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 4

Character List:
Name: Loud Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:11 pm

swicked wrote:Just read up to the latest chapter.
Chapter 21 is EPIC.

Also, reading through my post above, it strikes me as funny how I post stuff like that. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention, but it doesn't seem like anyone else on this forum goes on and on about the themes, meaning and the mental/emotional impact and significance of stuff like I do.
I know most of you like me, but I have to imagine y'all rolling your eyes half the time I post stuff like this :P

You sound like me, you might be an INFP personality type. We tend to speak and think in feelings/truths/high concepts. 
http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html  <-- We are suppose to make good writers. I'm thinking about giving it a try.
JadedPony
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : -8

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:49 pm

<b>[Silent Screaming Intensifies]</b>
It said that Article 2 updated, and I fell for it.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:54 pm

swicked wrote:3. I'm actually an awful writer (at least of prose)
That thing you showed me would seem to indicate the opposite.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:08 am

@swicked
But what about all the PH Omakes you make? Those are hilarious.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm

Oh yes, and those!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Once again I've run out of things to read on FiMFic. Some suggestions were enjoyable and I've favorited, others I couldn't get into. For example Austraeoh doesn't seem to be going anywhere for me. Each chapter is like a small snapshot of what happens. Not really interested in that kind of hook. Rereading the ones I've favorited right now. Refinished AVATS, A2, and Misunderstandings. Now rereading Syncopation.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:08 am

That's a classic one. I read it a couple years ago.

I don't know how else to explain it, but it IS good.

swicked wrote: Seems the type to cause crying in someone more open to that than I am.
I did tear up a little at one point. Lyra
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next