Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Fanfic Recs / What Are You Reading

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fanfic Recs / What Are You Reading

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:24 am

This. I was literally sobbing at the end. I kept having to stop and wait until I could breath and see properly again. This happens to me so rarely that I'm not even sure how to describe how rarely it happens to me. My eyes generally only water even a little due to allergies or a cold. To me, "sad" stories usually, if that have that sort of effect on me at all, almost always top out with a frown and an "Aww, that's sad." This is an exception. I'm sorry, I know that the quality of this composition is likely lacking in some ways, but I'm still a bit swept up. Anyway, it has my recommendation. It is very much in want of upvotes, in my opinion.

But no, swicked, I won't be offended if you laugh when you see the subject matter. I am aware that these two things are likely related. :)
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:26 am

O. Hinds wrote:But no, swicked, I won't be offended if you laugh when you see the subject matter.  I am aware that these two things are likely related.  :)
...you say that like you think I'm the only one who knows you put the "loco" in "locomotive".

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:39 am

I have that fic on my to-read list. I tried getting through it a couple days ago, but my brain wouldn't stop playing very-mismatched music. And nothing ruins sad and potential feels like mismatching music.

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:28 pm

swicked wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:But no, swicked, I won't be offended if you laugh when you see the subject matter.  I am aware that these two things are likely related.  :)
...you say that like you think I'm the only one who knows you put the "loco" in "locomotive".
Well, you're the most vocal about it on here, to my knowledge.  And you really shouldn't say that; there are people far, far more obsessed than I am.  :)
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:48 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
swicked wrote:
Well, you're the most vocal about it on here, to my knowledge.  And you really shouldn't say that; there are people far, far more obsessed than I am.  :)
You're young, give it time.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:21 pm

O. Hinds wrote:This.  I was literally sobbing at the end.  I kept having to stop and wait until I could breath and see properly again.  This happens to me so rarely that I'm not even sure how to describe how rarely it happens to me.  My eyes generally only water even a little due to allergies or a cold.  To me, "sad" stories usually, if that have that sort of effect on me at all, almost always top out with a frown and an "Aww, that's sad."  This is an exception.  I'm sorry, I know that the quality of this composition is likely lacking in some ways, but I'm still a bit swept up.  Anyway, it has my recommendation.  It is very much in want of upvotes, in my opinion.

But no, swicked, I won't be offended if you laugh when you see the subject matter.  I am aware that these two things are likely related.  :)
Yo hinds.
I tried to read through this story, but... it just comes off as a thick soup of pedantic mud, to me. I get that these ponies care a LOT about trains, train history, train mechanics, even train spirituality... yeah. I don't, and the romanticism makes me chortle.
“Have you fired a TW3a before, colt?” he asked, settling into his seat. The engineer turned around so that he faced backwards to look out the slowly opening roundhouse bay doors.

“N-no sir, I can’t say that I have,” I stammered.

“Well, don’t worry about that too much,” he said, resting his hoof on the throttle. “Just treat her like a mare, and she’ll be a lady about it.”
It's not that it's difficult to understand, I just can't begin to care this much about trains.
Probably a personal problem, but I can't stand the fic.
...that said, it's hardly surprising. The fic is called "The Railway Ponies".
Disliking it for what it is makes as much sense as disliking March of the Penguins for... well, being all about penguins.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 pm

Eh, like I said, I'm not offended.  I'm aware that I have somewhat odd tastes at times.
MN7 Spoilers:
Now that I think of it, one of the parts of MN7 that made me angriest at the villains was Wildcard destroying that historic locomotive (and probably damaging the tracks as well).  Yeah...

edit: ...Also, what a strange world we live in where the colorful friendship ponies are perfectly normal and it's the interest in railways that's odd. :)
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:26 am

Anyone like Marvel or DC crossovers with MLP? There's a writer by the name of <a href=https://www.fimfiction.net/user/Onomonopia">Onomonopia</a> that's done a couple of stories, with some overarching plot and mysterious forces working in the background. Balance is heavily in the hero's favor in combat, and the ponies more or less act as morality pets. They're ok to me, not the best stories in the world though.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Loud_Taffy on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:55 pm

I just finished the first ch. of my new FimFic Silent Fractures. come see if you want too.
Loud_Taffy
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 4

Character List:
Name: Loud Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by JadedPony on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:11 pm

swicked wrote:Just read up to the latest chapter.
Chapter 21 is EPIC.

Also, reading through my post above, it strikes me as funny how I post stuff like that. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention, but it doesn't seem like anyone else on this forum goes on and on about the themes, meaning and the mental/emotional impact and significance of stuff like I do.
I know most of you like me, but I have to imagine y'all rolling your eyes half the time I post stuff like this :P

You sound like me, you might be an INFP personality type. We tend to speak and think in feelings/truths/high concepts. 
http://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html  <-- We are suppose to make good writers. I'm thinking about giving it a try.
JadedPony
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : -8

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:49 pm

<b>[Silent Screaming Intensifies]</b>
It said that Article 2 updated, and I fell for it.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:07 pm

@ JadedPony
1. Not the point of this thread.
2. My personality varies, from time to time. I put as much faith in those classifications as I put in horoscopes.
3. I'm actually an awful writer (at least of prose), but I've been called a good critic.
4. Good luck.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:54 pm

swicked wrote:3. I'm actually an awful writer (at least of prose)
That thing you showed me would seem to indicate the opposite.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:08 am

@swicked
But what about all the PH Omakes you make? Those are hilarious.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 pm

Oh yes, and those!
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:59 pm

While I don't fault you for liking those, it's rather generous to consider a few lines of dialogue indicative of any significant amount of writing ability -_-
Besides, this is still off-topic. Shush.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Once again I've run out of things to read on FiMFic. Some suggestions were enjoyable and I've favorited, others I couldn't get into. For example Austraeoh doesn't seem to be going anywhere for me. Each chapter is like a small snapshot of what happens. Not really interested in that kind of hook. Rereading the ones I've favorited right now. Refinished AVATS, A2, and Misunderstandings. Now rereading Syncopation.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:54 am

Just finished a fic called Eternal.
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/5921/eternal
It was really good. Really, really good.
Incredibly fulfilling. It's complete and FEELS complete. I wouldn't want more of it.
It's also very difficult to predict. It focuses on the dynamics of the relationships Celestia has with others, especially with Twilight.
But it's more than just that. A lot more.
It has its faults... it reads like molasses. It doesn't have filler or much repetition but still takes a long time and many words to get anywhere. Sometimes this feels appropriate and enriches the fic. In fact, much of the time it does. It's just a bit wearying.
The story itself is very... heavy. Very little is lighthearted or less than serious. It is emotional, too, for good reason. Seems the type to cause crying in someone more open to that than I am.
This heaviness a bit wearying, too.
But it is VERY good, in my opinion, and made me very happy to have read it. 9/10.

Oh, and it's Celestia-centric, so I may be a bit biased.  Princess Celestia

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:08 am

That's a classic one. I read it a couple years ago.

I don't know how else to explain it, but it IS good.

swicked wrote: Seems the type to cause crying in someone more open to that than I am.
I did tear up a little at one point. Lyra

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:30 am

RoboRed wrote:That's a classic one. I read it a couple years ago.
What are the classic ones? I'm not familiar with them.
We should have a list of that sort of thing.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:03 am

http://www.fimfiction.net/group/200821/when-they-were-young

"The Youngverse"
A bunch of stories following the theme of showing what it was like when various characters were young.
I've only read a few so far, but it's fun. Just thought I'd spread the love.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:23 am

Ugh, just wasted a whole lot of time with <a href="http://www.fimfiction.net/story/34838/living-in-equestria">this one</a>. First bunch of chapters pretty much rehashes all the info bronies know about the main cast. Then it goes on to be all Slice-of-Life. No trying to figure out what happened that he landed in Equestria (kinda obvious that it's Twilight failing a spell), or how to get back. Instead it's just him interacting with other ponies in day-to-day events. And that's all. I think he angsts about not being able to return home for about maybe two paragraphs? Didn't read the whole thing. Too dull for my tastes.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:26 pm

HiE stories are weird. I don't think I've liked any I've found so far, though there's a couple I read out of curiosity.
Like this one: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/147701/the-peculiar-journal-of-william-klaskovsky

It's really weird and seems directionless, but is otherwise seemingly well-written.
I don't know what to make of it, so I can really recommend for or against reading it.

Edit:
Actually, there are plenty of short, silly HiE stories I've liked. Just no longer, even relatively serious ones.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:05 pm

That's the general trend I see. Aside from the ones I consider really good... ah I think that's why. I think I don't like directionless stories, or stories without some sort of conflict, as they are more G3/G3.5-ish to my tastes. I'll give your story a shot though.

It's just the majority of the long stories tend to somehow include romance, or just having the main characters casually deal with any problems, if any problems even exist. It's why I like stories from Arad, Loyal2Luna, and The Rogue Wolf. Now there are actually plenty of shorter stories that I enjoy with humans, such as Diary of a Store Clerk, a hilarious tale of a man trying to avoid contact with the canon cast, and Of Papers and Ponies, a crossover with Papers Please.

Update: Ooookay, the story that you put was apparently a sequel to a series of stories, the starting one of which I don't think I'll be reading, so I've put this story down. From what I've read so far, the kid seems like a sociopath, or some kid with more than a dash of Artemis Fowl-esque intellect and arrogance on him.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:53 pm

swicked wrote:HiE stories are weird. I don't think I've liked any I've found so far, though there's a couple I read out of curiosity.
Like this one: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/147701/the-peculiar-journal-of-william-klaskovsky

It's really weird and seems directionless, but is otherwise seemingly well-written.
I don't know what to make of it, so I can really recommend for or against reading it.

Edit:
Actually, there are plenty of short, silly HiE stories I've liked. Just no longer, even relatively serious ones.
Hm, searching my favourites for the "Human" tag and looking for HiEs you might like...
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/5433/article-2
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/118800/outside-context-problems
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/13616/arrow-18-mission-logs-lone-ranger
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/39157/the-best-of-all-possible-worlds
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/5170/project-sunflower
I don't know if they're to your tastes, but you at least have my assurance that they're not more "A teenager who surely bears not resemblance to the author winds up in Equestria and starts dating the authors's favorite pony and also how do commas!".
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:36 pm

@Swicked
*scrunchy face*
I'm loving Eternal so far. Wording is great, characters are rooted and extrapolated from canon!Equestria that doesn't rub me the wrong way about any of the cast. The conflict is established and refreshingly not an external one in the guise of a looming threat over Equestria. Hits hard, especially with friendships come and gone. And I'm only partway through chapter two.

UPDATE: Wow. All the feels. Didn't know what angle the antagonist (which I'm calling Solaria just because) was coming from. Initially portrayed as a mocking voice in Celestia's mind, I was pretty sure they wouldn't go as simple as evil because as a reason, so defaulted to the first explanation when it comes to Celestia and her problems. She dun goofed up something a thousand years ago and it's coming to bite her now. Glad to see I was right, but also very glad to see how the author portrays such a character who has been through so much. Could've ended up a vengeance-driven 'monster', but instead resorts to snarkery that I see in a Trickster!Discord. Too bad this is ChaosGod!Discord in the story, but he wasn't the focus, especially since I can see him playing Solaria's role anyways in trying to guilt-trip Celestia. He did see it though as a bit of foreshadowing. 

Story ain't without its flaws though. Not sure where they were going with all the dialogue revolving around Dash, like with Spitfire. Nor where the author was going with Spike. They kinda just felt thrown in there, like the "Hi, I exist! kbai!" kind of throw in.

So many feels... I need to read something silly and light-hearted now. 

@Hinds
Aside from The Culture, which I might want to read up about before starting that fic, the rest have been in my favorites, and quite a number of other regular commentors for those stories. I like reading comments from regulars as they provide insight into what does and doesn't jive with me, as well as bringing up topics to debate. Also useful for when I stop a fic that makes me feel uneasy.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:28 am

...well, everyone but Twilight, Celestia and Luna were in the fic just because they exist. They don't really contribute anything. Fluttershy is all but invisible in every scene.
Spitfire was funny, though (a great soldier all the way up until she decides not to be), and her past with RD made things a little more interesting, so while it makes the story seem a little messy to have this unimportant side stuff, it helps contribute to the immersion, I think. Just more stuff that's out there in that world other than what is necessary for the main plot.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Mon May 05, 2014 2:21 pm

Wow, there's a whole lot more Cosplayer in Equestria than I remembered. First bunch I still like as a guilty pleasure, as they crossover with eachother, but man can they get silly. Recently fav'd a really silly one about doge cosplayer.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu on Mon May 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Something in Testing Testing reminded me about how, in some stories, Rainbow Dash gets unusual observation/analysis abilities. And that reminded me of Karazor's stories.

By that I mean that you should read them. Like, all of them.
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Tue May 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Mente Materia is out! Hopefully this sequel will expand on the trauma and recovery process of Twilight that felt rushed in the interquel.

Also, VikingZX has a series of blog posts on writing. Anyone feel like checking it out?
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down