Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+17
IncoherentOrange
cb5
Darkbright39
Cptadder
Ketchup
StoneSlinger88
O. Hinds
Meleagridis
Moodyman90
Stringtheory
Ironmonger
Valikdu
Admiral Stoic Rum
Harmony Ltd.
Kippershy
RoboRed
Frost
21 posters

Page 13 of 31 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 13 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 am

@ Swicked :

Well... the Doctrine of my guys is relatively simple :

- If you fight against us, we'll fuck you up.
- If you stand aside and don't impede our operations, we'll leave you alone. We'll even be nice enough as to repay for collateral damages.
- If you help us, you're an ally and we'll protect you as long as you don't do something stupid and contrary to our interests / ethics, in which case we'll fuck you up too.

This apply both on the international scene as it applies to the conquered territories. The Federation being, well, a federation (composed of over 400 different species when they were still in their old Galaxy, biological and synthetics alike), the planets keep a relative autonomy, only being overseen by a planetary governor, and sending representative to the Senate of the Federation. As long as they don't do things that go against the federations interests, pay their taxes and produce resources, the planets are left largely autonomous to govern themselves.

The idea being that every planet is a particular case in itself, and has to be governed by its own rules as long as it doesn't go against the Federation's interest;

As for xenophobic rhetoric / reactions, it's treated the same way as any other political problem : if you don't go against the interests of the Federation and don't break its laws, you're free to do what you want. But if you start shit, then, as always, we'll fuck you up.

United Worlds' Federation : "Mess With Us, We'll Fuck You Up"

For example, in another Galaxy, before the Apocalypse, there was a Coalition of Empires which discriminated non-humans, and proclaimed the superiority of humans. It wasn't my guys galaxy, but they had a number of planets there, and were allied to the people who were fighting these racists. When said racists took over the Galactic Capital of that Galaxy and declared a galaxy-wide charter enforcing their views, we declared total war on them. They were strong adversaries, but after two or three weeks of battle IRL, we overcame and they surrendered.

I conquered the capital sector of a foreign Galaxy, and their capital too. While I was the guardian of my own galaxy's Capital. Rainbow Dash
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 13 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:43 am

Of course, I wasn't able to do that alone. It is the fact I have allies who are strong on their own and share "my" views that we, together, are able to crush any and all menace to the galactic stability.

Like for example overthrowing dictators who would want to impose their rules on a galaxy, or eliminating powers mad enough to use WMDs, thing like that.

They aren't saints and have unbelievable amount of blood on their consciousness, but as hard as it is to believe, they try to be a force for good.

Kind of like the US. Spike
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:45 am

swicked wrote:How can you adequately strike fear in your enemies when you have so few options?
"Fuck with us, we'll erase you from the map".

That's the extreme case, of course. Our allies have other, subtler abilities (like swiping their bank accounts, or diplomatically rallying their empire under their nose).

It really is on a case by case basis.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:51 am

United Worlds' Federation : "Mess With Us, We'll Fuck You Up"
This should totally be written on the side of all the ships.Spike
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:58 am

Sadly, the game is in French so this wouldn't work.

Though if you wanted to go Latin you could put something like "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc". Spike
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:23 am

swicked wrote:@Harmony
"they try to be a force for good"
You said they only care about their own long-term survival, nuking their own fleets to ensure their enemy's demise.
It really doesn't sound like they have any real concern for morality.
Well, you know, their troops, how to put it... It's an all voluntary force, and mind-upload is universal among frontline units (plus the ground troops are power armored, and the on-board nanotech revive them if they are killed but not -destroyed-). And they've kind of mastered nanotech to the point they can build entire fleets in a few days. So it's not as if soldiers dying or fleets being reduced to sub-atomic particles was really more than a mild inconvenience.

As long as its them and the enemy doing the dying, it's business as usual.

As for "force for good", it's a long term view on things. If all the troublemakers are put out of the picture and the Galaxy is in peace and united (at least enough to be able to organize the exile to another galaxy when the time comes), it become so much easier to ensure survival.

Swicked wrote:On a seperate note, has anyone ever played a game of fallout New Vegas with 1 Charisma and never put anything into speech?
You just use speech so constantly to finish, even skip, quests entirely that I image the experience would be really, really annoying :P
I guess it's time to put points in barter and guns ?

Also the occasion to do an evil karma playthrough.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:33 am

Even though I haven't touched much on it in-game, it's a recurring point in my characterization of the Federation's troops that they act as if they were robots, machines, acting with ruthless mechanical efficiency and little regard for their own casualties beyond how it affect their operations.

What import to them is "the mission" (remember they were originally mercenaries), the mission being in most case "destroy the enemy / protect the civilians".
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Not FoE related art :

http://derpiboo.ru/353059
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Also :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn682-IQNXw
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:05 pm

swicked wrote:@hinds
You can post my thoughts, I guess I'm just surprised you did so without telling me.
Ah, thank you. I didn't see any reason to tell you, since you, as you said, posted them publicly. Oh, and I'm emailing them, not posting them.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:39 pm

So, uh...I've been snooping around the FoE community quite a bit lately, hiding in the shadows and gathering data, and I'm noticing that some people hold contempt for us Cloudsvillians.
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 13 I_dont_even_cat

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Maybe they see us as a group of cronies sucking up to Somber and flattering his ego to bask in his popularity by proxy ?

Or alternatively they're just asshats. *shrug*
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Maybe they see us as a group of cronies sucking up to Somber and flattering his ego to bask in his popularity by proxy ?

Or alternatively they're just asshats. *shrug*
Something like that. ArcaneScroll once called this forum 'a place of rabid fanboyism' or something like that, it's been several months ago. Others say similar things, more specifically towards PH fans.

I'm not trying to start anything with this discussion, I just don't get why some people act like assholes towards this forum. It's a little puzzling to me.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:12 pm

The fact one of the rules of the PH comment thread is "do not put down Somber" can lead people to believe certain things.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:26 pm

True, but that also sounds like those people jump to a conclusion without actually verifying it, then just leave and seeth with contempt somewhere else.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Ironmonger wrote:So, uh...I've been snooping around the FoE community quite a bit lately, hiding in the shadows and gathering data, and I'm noticing that some people hold contempt for us Cloudsvillians.
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 13 I_dont_even_cat
The internet in general on every site holds contempt for any other site or for differing opinions.  However there is a difference between contempt and finding something silly or such.  Like how I think it's silly to build all this head canon about the FoE universe and making a timeline of the events after FoE saying that ALL FoE side fics have to fit in with head canon even though the only KKat approved sidefic is Project Horizons, BUT that's not contempt.  Rather that is having a differing opinion.  There is a massive difference between contempt and having a different opinion.  Contempt is something like how I hold contempt towards the Twilight franchise for one love interest being interested in a underage girl and the other love interest being interested in a child, that's hard core contempt.

It's okay to find something silly, it's okay to have a different opinion, it's okay to dislike something so long as you have actual reasoning for the dislike and make the reason know.  What isn't okay is to have a dislike for something or someone for unknown reasons or for reasons you don't want to express.  Like it's okay for someone to dislike Project Horizons cause they don't like post apopcalyptic fanfics or such, so long as
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:43 pm

I already knew that. What I'm saying is that the few references to Cloudsville that I've heard made by others outside the forum use it like a derogative remark. That's a little eyebrow-raising.

Sorry if I'm not being clear on my thoughts, I've never been good at putting thoughts into words.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Hey Swicked, another piece to the file :

Another player's character commenting on one of my allies' speech on the current situation wrote:[...] I do not question your methods, expeditious justice is the only applicable one this galaxy, this is a fact which has been discussed time and times again. What I criticize is people acting for personal motives loudly claiming that they act for the common good.

My character's answer wrote:Acting for the common good is acting for yourself. In a galaxy where we all share the same fate, we do not have the luxury to ignore this reality when it so clearly and cruelly impose itself to us.

That we got touched by these attacks, does not change that the use of Weapons of Mass Destruction [note : given the kind of firepower casually used in this setting, the expression takes on a whole new level] is an unforgivable crime, whatever the circumstances surrounding their use. We are finishing today the cleansing of the Triumvirat's last remnants [note : an organisation which also used these weapons a few weeks ago] in this galaxy, in answer to the unspeakable crime commited by its members.

The indescribable losses we have suffered only reinforce our determination, as with our conviction that the use of WMDs shall not, can not be tolerated, under any circumstances.

You are right, we do not out of selfless reasons. It is indeed and in fact a struggle for our survival. Not only our's but the that of all this Galaxy's people.

Should we tolerate such behaviors, such policies menacing to bring us on the brink of extinction, what would remain of us ? A few pale survivors, shaked by fear and unable to resist to the divine cruelty once the hour of the Apocalypse will have rung ?

We are only pragmatics. All remaining traces of the Triumvirat will soon be erased. The aggressor will disappear. All who help him will share his fate.

Survival, not only our's but also that of all in this galaxy, come at this price.

If you are not ready to pay it, then be content to stay on the side and out of our way.

We will not suffer from the self-destructive pulsions of a galaxy commiting suicide by its vain and aimless intestine struggles.

And should you not wish to become a collateral damage, forgotten, crushed under the treads of history, join us.

The weak shall perish.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:52 pm

cb5 wrote:Like how I think it's silly to build all this head canon about the FoE universe and making a timeline of the events after FoE saying that ALL FoE side fics have to fit in with head canon even though the only KKat approved sidefic is Project Horizons, BUT that's not contempt.
For my defense, as I feel kind of targeted here, I have to say never once I have pretended to impose my views upon anyone. That whole thing in that other thread is not an attempt to impose a One World Order my vision of what should be, but rather playing and toying with ideas.

I am sorry if it came to you as anything else.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Ironmonger wrote:I already knew that. What I'm saying is that the few references to Cloudsville that I've heard made by others outside the forum use it like a derogative remark. That's a little eyebrow-raising.

Sorry if I'm not being clear on my thoughts, I've never been good at putting thoughts into words.
Let me guess they called cloudsville "a**kissers"?

Every website at some point insults another website.
EQD insults FA and anything that doesn't have four hooves.
Youtube bronies insult non-bronies.
DA bronies insult people who insult them.
/mlp/ insults ponychan.
Ponychan insults /mlp/.
Knowyourmeme insults mylittlebrony.
Garrys mod bronies insult second life bronies.
Harmony Ltd. wrote:
cb5 wrote:Like how I think it's silly to build all this head canon about the FoE universe and making a timeline of the events after FoE saying that ALL FoE side fics have to fit in with head canon even though the only KKat approved sidefic is Project Horizons, BUT that's not contempt.
For my defense, as I feel kind of targeted here, I have to say never once I have pretended to impose my views upon anyone. That whole thing in that other thread is not an attempt to impose a One World Order my vision of what should be, but rather playing and toying with ideas.

I am sorry if it came to you as anything else.
I'm not talking about you.  I'm talking about the people that go, "Fallout Equestria is the greatest achievement of all mankind and you can't be a brony unless you like it!" or the people that have a really hard time realizing it's not real and that mlp doesn't actually exist.

And an example of what I mean by that is due to mlp some people created a religion thinking celestia is real and calling her their godess.

Last edited by cb5 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:58 pm

cb5 wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:So, uh...I've been snooping around the FoE community quite a bit lately, hiding in the shadows and gathering data, and I'm noticing that some people hold contempt for us Cloudsvillians.
The internet in general on every site holds contempt for any other site or for differing opinions.  However there is a difference between contempt and finding something silly or such.  Like how I think it's silly to build all this head canon about the FoE universe and making a timeline of the events after FoE saying that ALL FoE side fics have to fit in with head canon even though the only KKat approved sidefic is Project Horizons, BUT that's not contempt.  Rather that is having a differing opinion.  There is a massive difference between contempt and having a different opinion.  Contempt is something like how I hold contempt towards the Twilight franchise for one love interest being interested in a underage girl and the other love interest being interested in a child, that's hard core contempt.

It's okay to find something silly, it's okay to have a different opinion, it's okay to dislike something so long as you have actual reasoning for the dislike and make the reason know.  What isn't okay is to have a dislike for something or someone for unknown reasons or for reasons you don't want to express.  Like it's okay for someone to dislike Project Horizons cause they don't like post apopcalyptic fanfics or such, so long as

my guess is they're from 4chan FOE threads, maybe? I know those guys don't hold you lot in high regard
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:05 pm

Well I know we've been called the Somber Hugbox before.

Meh, they're entitled to what they think just as we're entitled to what we think. I can't fault them and I try my best not to. But I am only human plus I'm on the internet so I am an ass and a dick about certain things just like everybody else.

But this is nothing new. Separations within fandoms are common. Like Original Series versus Next Generation.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:11 pm

I know I probably made myself look a little dumb, but that was some seriously confusing shit. Applejacks

Anyway, thanks, people, for explaining that.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 pm

Ironmonger wrote:I know I probably made myself look a little dumb, but that was some seriously confusing shit. Applejacks

Anyway, thanks, people, for explaining that.
Basically almost every website complains about other websites and some people on the internet are so crazy they can't tell the difference between reality and fiction.

Short version:  People on the internet are crazy.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:17 pm

cb5 wrote:Short version:  People on the internet are crazy.
Shocking I know.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:29 pm

More like people are crazy, but the internet helps take away restrictions. But in the end it's the same thing.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:More like people are crazy, but the internet helps take away restrictions. But in the end it's the same thing.
I'm cuckoo. I'm cuckoo for cocoa puffs.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Did you fly over the nest ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Moving onto something different, does anyone here know of any really good artists who do pony customs. You know, really good custom blindbags, paint-a-ponies, stuff like that? I'm hoping to eventually commission someone to make one of my favorite FoE character.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 pm

"There is no such thing as bad publicity"

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 31 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22 ... 31  Next