Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions on an episode about death.

+6
Scootaloo
IncoherentOrange
Ketchup
jacky2734
Sky Cloud
CamoBadger
10 posters

Go down

Opinions on an episode about death. Empty Opinions on an episode about death.

Post by CamoBadger Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Before I start, I know this is a very heavy topic, and that it doesn't sound like something MLP would end up doing. However, I've recently had a conversation with a fellow brony (not a joking one either, dead serious about it) regarding the show possibly doing an episode about how to deal with the death of someone close to you.

Honestly, if they were to do this, I would be glad they did (no matter how much I would cry). Dealing with death is an important lesson for everyone to learn at some point in their lives, and honestly I feel it would be good to at least understand it before it happens in reality. I know there are those here and everywhere who have already dealt with it, and who will tell you there is no way to prepare for it, but every little bit can help. The loss of someone you care for is one of the worst things a person can go through, so an episode about how to cope might stop a few people from going the absolute wrong direction after it happens.

I would have to say that the most likely course of this episode would be the passing of Granny Smith. Because this is the death that most people go through first, it would have more impact for most of the people watching, and would make the most sense. From there, the episode could go on to the Mane6 helping AJ and her siblings to get through the grief of their loss, after all friends and family are the best support you can get after that experience.

Again, I know it would be a heavy topic for a children's show, but I feel that if any show could handle it well, it would be FiM.

So, what are ya'll's opinions on this? Do you think it would be good or bad to have this happen in the show and why?
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Opinions on an episode about death. Empty Re: Opinions on an episode about death.

Post by Guest Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:07 pm

I believe it be great! im saying that since i like death and depressed shit, too lazy to add detail, maybe i will later on why.

Back to top Go down

Opinions on an episode about death. Empty Re: Opinions on an episode about death.

Post by Sky Cloud Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:08 pm

i think it would be interesting in the least
Sky Cloud
Sky Cloud
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:24 pm

Having thought about his before I fully support this idea. I'm not sure if it's completely out of the question, We've had Fluttershy dealing with feelings of worthlessness. (At least that's how I interpreted it.)

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:26 pm

TheLastDefender wrote:Having thought about his before I fully support this idea. I'm not sure if it's completely out of the question, We've had Fluttershy dealing with feelings of worthlessness. (At least that's how I interpreted it.)
This is true. It was more subtle, but I noticed it as well (more hidden under the "I can't fly" thing, but still there)
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:26 pm

It'd be one of the most interesting episodes if they did. However, it's also less likely than them making an animated movie based off of Past Sins.

Lauren Faust even stated that she'd preferred AJ's parents to have been stated to be deceased, but the execs didn't feel that it set with the tone of the show which is still technically meant for girls between 6-12.
jacky2734
jacky2734
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:04 pm

It would be a fantastic moral, because death is something that is inevitable for every living thing (barring the immortal jellyfish, AFAIK.) and perhaps even add more realism to the setting as a whole.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Well, certainly, an episode with this theme would work. Like my brother said, it happens and always will happen, and covering it as part of a moral would work wonderfully, given how good the series has been so far about that.
IncoherentOrange
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:33 am

That's a very good idea Swicked, this seems like an episode we might actually get. However it doesn't deal with the immediate emotion that comes from someone's passing, but it shows a family celebrating a loved one's life which sounds like a much brighter message.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:50 am

Swicked, you should write something. Quite a creative and convincing story you have there.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scootaloo Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:03 pm

I think it would be good. Not all the time but a few episodes, sure why not? I mean, to keep it kid friendly or at least not rated 18+, they would have to make the death not all full of extreme content right?
Scootaloo
Scootaloo
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 6

Character List:
Name: Shimmer Mint
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:18 am

Wow.

Now the reason that I used to want a Pinkie/AJ episode was for straight up comedy, they made a classic comedy duo. But swicked's idea completely flips the obvious formula on its head, and is really a situation that the character needs to be in. I won't be able to think of the season as complete until I see this now. However...

I will be honest and say that I just don't see death happening. Not unless the show is due for a cancellation and goes the way of Moonlighting. While I'd love to see the staff give one last ridiculous hurrah and throw out the most unrestrained episodes imaginable, I'd sure be put out at the whole 'cancellation' thing.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:48 am

I think I've read a fanfic similar to that, except Pinkie was preparing a party in memory of Granny Pie.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 am

CamoBadger wrote:I think I've read a fanfic similar to that, except Pinkie was preparing a party in memory of Granny Pie.

I've seen a comic like that. [link]

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Crumble Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:57 am

I would be astonished if FiM can pull that off. That the episode be about death and would still be a kid-friendly episode. But I'm guessing kids that are watching the show (The Girls 6-12 I mean.) would not be able to "take" it? They're only children.

I would love an episode about someone's death. Like you guys said, it's a good moral and it's inevitable. But, I don't want someone dying either.

It's like My Little Dashie, when Dash is getting taken away. Losing someone that you have so much attachment to. I just broke down and MANLY tears were shed.
Apple Crumble
Apple Crumble
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 1

Character List:
Name: Apple Crumble
Sex: Male
Species: Earth pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:38 am

It would be interesting to see if they can pull it off, and it would be good for the target age group to see an episode like that.

Granted, I was 5 when my grandfather died, and I would lose 3 more family members before I was 13, so I admit I look at the issue differently then others... but I never really saw the reason to hide death to protect children. It's a part of life, something that happens every day, and sooner or later its going to happen to somebody close to you.

Which would be that if they did do an episode about death, it should be about helping other accept the lose and moving on, but never forgetting the good memories. But that's just me and my opinion.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:39 pm

I would definitely want to see an episode like this, but I don't think it would involve granny smith. Think about when a show did this when we were younger, 99% of the time a death that taught a lesson was of a character that was never shown on screen. I'm pretty sure there was an episode of Arthur where a characters family member died.

The problem with mlp doing it is the "vibe" when watching a show like Arthur is far different from watching FiM. When watching Arthur the characters are dealing with real life issues on a daily basis. Everything already seems real enough and as the show's primary focus is to educate (more about social education than academic) It seems normal to have that happen. FiM is more about escaping reality, even with the realistic stories and problems that are faced (the reasons the show does so well) everything is always fairly exaggerated either by the nature of the show or the actions of the characters. This exaggeration would have to be toned down for an episode about something as serious as death, and though I would love it to happen it would probably just change the feeling in the show too much. Also as we can mostly see, the target audience for Arthur is kids of all ages whereas the "target" audience for FiM is very young girls who's parents will buy toys. Of course we all know how much the writers care about them anymore, but the general feel of the show still hasn't changed since the beginning and this kind of jump WOULD be difficult.

I just realized I wrote a lot, so I'll stop since I'm on my phone and my thumbs are cramping up.

Also if you didn't notice I kind of like Arthur, it wasn't really a show I watched growing up (I was a nickelodeon kid[that one kid with cable]) but it was one I always appreciated and I still catch episodes occasionally on PBS second chance.
Derpy Hooves
Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 31

Character List:
Name: Taters
Sex: Stallion
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down