Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coming to terms with being a brony.

+9
Scootaloo
Moonlight
Fluttershy
Elipsilon
Apple Crumble
Ferrous_Oxide
aruigus808
CamoBadger
Spitfire
13 posters

Go down

Coming to terms with being a brony. Empty Coming to terms with being a brony.

Post by Spitfire Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:10 am

Coming to terms with being a brony. My-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-times-are-changing-for-the-better

That said. I find myself everyday thinking "I never though so-and-so would happen". it used to be more people saying odd thing (when I was a freshman), last year it was more things out of context, but this year, it's things like this.
just 4 months ago I would never have thought of ponies being cool, awesome, or anything else that we know they are. I never would have though that I'd be a prominent member on a fourm for them, help admin a MC server (come play guys!), share pony memes, or have a good chunk of my music I put on my MP3 player be pony related (my friend put literally like 90% of it there, I just added pony and such after he gave it to me). I never thought I'd have done art for basically the first time in 8 years of my own free will, clean my desktop just to see the wallpaper (my first pony wallpaper, an RD one), or totally procrastinate school work for ponies (guess waht I'm supposed to be ding now? Luna ).

My mane point (ha, pony pun) is that I'm 4 months in, and I have come to terms with being a brony. I did before, but I admit it now. I used to scoff at the word, and think I was just a bystander, but no longer. I am a brony, and it is cool.

that said I'm in a bit of a rut now. I've come to terms with being a brony, and gotten involved, but where to go from there?
The next step is either going into something on the ponynet creatively (ha. haha. hahahahah...) or in real life..
I've tested the waters breifly IRL, and I don't think it'd be received to well by most.. but I'm going to start taking small steps come after winter break.

That all said, what about you people? Where are you all with being a brony and how have you come to terms with it?
Spitfire
Spitfire
Hydra

Brohoof! : 6

Character List:
Name: Wildfire
Sex: Herm
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Coming to terms with being a brony. Empty Re: Coming to terms with being a brony.

Post by CamoBadger Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:54 am

I personally have, as well as being a military brony which for me was actually harder than coming to terms with being a brony back home.
I was very nervous about bringing it up when I first left for Afghanistan, mainly because I've already got a reputation for having something wrong with me, so I didn't want to increase that.
I was surprised when I learned that it was surprisingly well recieved among my teammates, and I haven't recieved very much judgement from it (a few guys make derogatory comments toward me for it, but I ignore them).
A few guys have started telling me that they understand because they've gotten into what are considered 'kids shows' before (Last Airbender is apparently a big one among the team) and a few have actually said that they're tempted to watch the show with me, and ask me questions about the show and the ponies they see on my computer.
As a result I'm much less nervous about it and am very open with talking about it. I haven't brought up that I write FF for the show yet, I'm still a bit nervous of letting that out, so I guess I haven't completely come to terms with that yet.

I have found that people my actual age are less receptive and more judgemental of it in general, and it's actually the older group that seems to be more accepting, those with children, nieces/nephews, etc. So I can see why some people are nervous about revealing it while still in highschool, where the students are for the most part terribly judgemental and not willing to give that sort of thing a chance.

Think I may have gotten a little off the topic for a moment there, and I'm sorry about the length of my rant. The short way to say it is that I have come to terms with being a brony for the most part, but in a few ways I'm still nervous about it.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Coming to terms with being a brony. Empty Re: Coming to terms with being a brony.

Post by aruigus808 Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:14 am

I've come almost full terms with being a brony. You know, I went through the typical cycles of a brony(anger, curiosity, bargaining, hiding, and acceptance) but it wasn't all that bad for me. I guess being a brony was like becoming an otaku. Same kinda of cycles for me. I would never have become an open brony if it wasn't for my otaku friends. Especially one of them, if she wasn't there then I wouldn't have gotten my MLP collection started Chicken

And I also agree with Spitfire, I would have NEEEEEEEEVER thought I'd be doing this 6 months back Crazy I also would have never thought that ponies would help me start drawing on the computer. Since I always wanted to draw stuff for the signatures I made but I never really had the confidence or inspiration to do so. So thanks to you guys, I would have never done that Rainbow

from,
aruigus808
aruigus808
aruigus808
Mascot

Brohoof! : 2

Character List:
Name:
Sex: Stallion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferrous_Oxide Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:42 am

I never would have thought I would like it either. Then the first episode. Then the rest. And then I charged headlong in reckless abandon. I think I came to terms with being a brony the first time I visited EQD. Especially since I spent the next few days working through the backlog of everything.

As for the creative stuff, it started with doodles on the edges of my papers. I realized at the end of one class that I had more ponies than notes on one of the papers, and so I decided to go ahead and actually work on drawing them.

And the community is wonderful. It is one of the few places on the internet that isn't fueled by hatred and rage, and it's a safe haven from the troubles of the world. Yes, sometimes the waters get a bit worked up in the bay, but it is still sheltered from the full brunt of the storm.

To finish this off: I am brony. I am proud. I will not back down. I will not change to fit social norms. And I will like whatever I want. I am a brony. And, together, bronies are strong.
Ferrous_Oxide
Ferrous_Oxide
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 13

Character List:
Name: Ferrous
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

http://ferrousoxidemolecule.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Apple Crumble Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:45 am

The first thing that came to mind when I was watching MLP was: "WTF Am I watching?". 6 months ago I didn't though I would actually like the show. I've seen the commercial of the toys and their merch but I always though it was crappy (OMG BURN THE HERETIC). Then after the 3rd episode I accepted that I genuinely liked the show. I was a closet brony back then. I didn't want anyone to know since we don't have the hub or any channels that show MLP so the others can't relate to me.

Then one day, We were at our computer lab and I was browsing my email. My classmate saw what mlp meant. After that, I was open now. I can't hide it anymore since then. Well, there were reactions like: "WTF GAY". After that, nothing.Then I converted some people.

After that I though why I liked the show. The plot was good, I really liked where it was going. The motto of bronies what was: Love and Tolerate which changed something in me (I don't know what). And what Ferrous_Oxide said the community was good but sometimes some forums are filled with trolls and narcissistic ponies.

Well after all that I guess I'm a brony through and through.
Apple Crumble
Apple Crumble
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 1

Character List:
Name: Apple Crumble
Species: Earth pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Elipsilon Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:01 pm

I occasionally have on of those "What the hell am I even doing?" moments whenever I'm doing something pony-related. But it eventually goes away when I remember how awesome ponies are.

In terms of being an open brony, I told a friend that I saw the show and dropped some references/memes on Facebook. I'm pretty sure that anyone who pays close attention to my profile would be able to figure out that I'm a brony; but so far I don't think anyone has figured it out yet.

The motto of bronies what was: Love and Tolerate which changed something in me (I don't know what).
Yeah, I noticed that I became more tolerant of other people. Even though most of the times it's just to spite them xD

In fact, one of my favorite things to say is "Haters gonna hate, just love and tolerate"
Elipsilon
Elipsilon
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluttershy Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:47 pm

I never came to terms with it. It met me and I met it and I loved it every step of the way. I guess I came to terms with it after seeing a few funny clips, but I always feel like I'm okay with something even after 2 seconds of seeing it.
Fluttershy
Fluttershy
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 12

Character List:
Name: Fluttershy
Sex: Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:51 pm

I hapchancedly saw part of an episode one night on tv, and decided it seemed pretty cool if not at least much better than the frilly girly earlier generations. Eventually, on the suggestion of my cousin (who is the only family member i feel like I relate to) I started watching the series, and became obsessed with it... AND I'M GLAD I DID! Twilight crazy
Moonlight
Moonlight
Hydra

Brohoof! : 23

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scootaloo Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:42 am

My one internet friend became obsessed and had pony pictures everywhere. All over her accounts and website and my first thought was ,"are you serious?" Then staring at her pony pictures, I slowly started to think they were cute and I was tempted to put pictures all over my stuff. That was around last year or so in October I think. Maybe September. I never in a million years would have thought that I would become as obsessed with ponies as I am today.
My real life friend would tweet all about the show and at the old forum I used to go on, just about every person's picture had to do with ponies. I was really confused why this pony thing was so cool. I totally don't remember how I got the idea of searching pony videos on Youtube but I did. I continued to watch pony videos and just convinced myself that it was just something to do in my spare time. I never told anyone about me watching ponies. After watching just about every little scene video, I decided to watch a full episode. I was curious as to how those cut out scenes fit in with the show.
I watched the full episode and at the start, I was like I really shouldn't be watching this...it feels wrong. But as the episode ended, I was all like I WANT TO WATCH MORE! It slowly became my way on living through the day. The show made me feel happy and warm inside. It was such a great show and it taught me many things and I think it's making me be a better person and it gives me confidence. Within the last month, I've watched every single episode and I've loved it. Back then, I was hesitating and I was denying being a brony but I'm as positive as ever when I say I am officially a brony. I'm pretty open with it now. I don't really care what people think. I like what I like and this show is my favourite :) I'M A BRONY FOREVER!
Scootaloo
Scootaloo
Pegasus

Character List:
Name: Shimmer Mint
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Permafrost Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:31 am

Well,I guess it was once I got started on my little marathon where I watched all of season 1 for the first time over a weekend...since then my loyalty has lied with the brony community...and I take my loyalty very seriously...I will stay with this community,all the way til the show is over,and even then I will probably stay...many have tried stopping me in watching...my parents,relatives,and friends...I am not one to swear loyalty and not keep it.I will be a brony forever...*raises glass*...To Celestia...To Luna...To the mane 6...To Equestria!
Permafrost
Permafrost
Earth Pony

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Star Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Everday at High school I feel like im sneaking around as a brony. My Parents foumnd out a few weeks ago. My mom kindof supported it saying that I could use some happness in my life due to my voilent video games and books. My dad just looked at me and started throwing out the jokes. But I think he's warming up to it every I evven caught him listing to the Rainbow Dash Version of You're going to go far kid. And he's even asked my a total of two questions pony related. The 1st what makes you enjoy this and who is your favorite pony. I'm trying to get over it but even in JROTC today we were playing charades and some one had unicorn. I was the first to guess it in 10 seconds flat. I did find a place that will make me a Class A and B name tag that saus Shadow Star and even Derpy Hooves. Im still thinking to myself WHAT ARE YOU DOING! but then I realize I LOVE MY LITTLE PONY! I think im close to becoming an open brony.
Shadow Star
Shadow Star
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 4

Character List:
Name: Shadow Star
Sex: female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferrous_Oxide Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Diamond Mint wrote:I will be a brony forever...*raises glass*...To Celestia...To Luna...To the mane 6...To Equestria!

Cheers to that!
Ferrous_Oxide
Ferrous_Oxide
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 13

Character List:
Name: Ferrous
Species: Earth Pony

http://ferrousoxidemolecule.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spitfire Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Ferrous_Oxide wrote:
Diamond Mint wrote:I will be a brony forever...*raises glass*...To Celestia...To Luna...To the mane 6...To Equestria!

Cheers to that!
Queen Pinkie Pie
Spitfire
Spitfire
Hydra

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Re-doing this because I feel theres more to it than I've said as of yet. I have been a brony since maybe September or August, and immediately accepted that fact after the first few episodes I watched and liked. I never really had any opposition to it after seeing my first snippet of its animation styling, and since my cousin was into it and she's the only family member I can agree with on most things, I figured it might actually be pretty good. That said, I delved into it willingly with little hesitation. It was easy straying from the social grasp, because I never really liked society anyway. As for my family, they accept it, somewhat indifferently, although there was some grief initially given. As for peers, they don't know yet for the most part, although my long distance friends have either picked up on it or are also indifferent to it. After a while, I came across brony net and from there, I found this site and since then, ponies have been filling up most of my free time, influencing what I draw, what I watch, what I even listen to! I have no regrets except that I sometimes envy the candy colored ponies living in an alternate denison hidden behind the screen of my television. Now that my feverish fan phase is over, I can really see what Lauren Faust meant by "Friendship is Magic" and I owe it all to you guys. It is my New Years' resolution to spread the love and tolerance and again, I am in all of your debt for spreading it to me. Thank you, everypony, for everything.
Moonlight
Moonlight
Hydra

Brohoof! : 23

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:50 am

I personally, always did, and still do, HATE the word "brony". It just sounds weird and I refuse to associate with it in itself. If it's the only way I can explain to someone why I'm carrying a bag with Derpy Hooves on it, then I'll mention it, but I mostly use "fan" or "fan of the show" or more recently due to a spike in numbers in my school: "MLP obsessors club" (which just sounds worse.)

I guess I finally decided to say I was part of the community when I had heard that Lyra and Blues had been given odd names in blind bag toys, and publicly whined about it in front of my friends. This in combination with buying a $67 Derpy plush was the point where I had to say; "ok this isn't just an occasional thing, it's serious."

Honestly I stopped having "what am I doing moments" right after I finished with the first few episodes, but before that they were common and they were BAD.

Giggle at the Ghostie was the worst example of a "What the FUCK am I doing??!!" moment, and I think it was for a lot of us.

But I don't worry now, even the haters at my school love my Derpy bag, and only one person still gives me shit about it, and he's my best friend so its just that kind of 'shit-giving' . This might actually have something to do with some "popularity" I apparently have, because all of my friends insist they are the lowest of the low in the school and I am somehow above them; (maybe I appear "cool" before you get to know me? Idk, I still spend most of my Fridays alone in my room).

I have completely forgotten that MLP is a show for young girls and when it's brought up I equate it with how Spongebob would never be considered a little kids' show by my generation, or Animaniacs by the generation before us. Beneath the E/I required lessons and cheesy gags to make a small child giggle, the show has real value and is honestly, like Animaniacs, more entertaining for the adults that have to watch with the kids, than the kids themselves.

For all these reasons I never have trouble counting myself as a part of this fandom, the collective creativity here rivals or exceeds that of even the most dedicated circles in Anime, Gaming and Furry fandoms, the other groups I would associate with in the past.

All in all, it wasn't hard for me to become this odd person I am now spending god awful amounts of my own cash on things the public sees as a girly cartoon. My lifestyle hasn't changed much, I still spend massive amounts of time working on programs and just organizing my computer (physically organizing the case, and organizing files). My friends still seem to want to hang out with me the same amount and I can still win prizes from crane machines all the time. I like ponies, and that's just something I added to my Smörgåsbord of an awesome life.
Derpy Hooves
Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 31

Character List:
Name: Taters

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:15 am

Everything you just said deserves a brohoof

CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:23 am

Lyra wrote:Everything you just said deserves a brohoof
(\ WAPAH!

I typed it all in a half-asleep daze, and I was saddened because I was finally going to buy Garry's mod, because it was on sale. I signed onto steam to see it was full price, meaning I couldn't afford it on the remainder of my cash from the holidays :( oh well, I'll just spend that money on food tomorrow.

bronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybronybrony....

Thought I might get used to it... nope still haven't.
Derpy Hooves
Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Spitfire Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:39 am

on top of that, I had a 50% off a valve title thingy, llet me see if it'll work for Gary's mod if I still have it.

EDIT: I still have it, add me on steam (RexMundi15) and I'll give it to you damn, does not work for Gary's mod...
still, if anyone else needs it, or one for codemasters, let me know.
Spitfire
Spitfire
Hydra

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:57 pm

Spitfire wrote:

on top of that, I had a 50% off a valve title thingy, llet me see if it'll work for Gary's mod if I still have it....

Yeah i have that too, it maddened me that it didn't work for garrys mod, otherwise when it was on sale it would have been $1
Derpy Hooves
Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvertongue Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:49 am

You know I've said it before and I'll say it here:

The fandom of this show is probably the most amazing and most kind fandom I've ever seen in my entire life so far. Being able to meet my fellow bronies and pegasisters...gosh I can't even describe the amazing feeling. I have never felt so easily bonded with any other type of community. I'm not sure what it is but...friendship is definitely magic with this community. The magic I get with being around and talking with this community has been better than any fandom community that I've ever been in.

There's still those third party people who are constantly shunning the fandom, or even those people that keep shouting that question, "BOYS LOVE THIS SHOW???"

In the long run I really don't find this show to be solely for young people (girls) and I'm not even basing that on the fandom. It's not about how girly it may seem, the show is about the morals that bring people together in order to be friends and how important friendship is in our daily lives. The love of others is probably one of the most important things we as human beings could ever need, and there's practically no show out there that does it better than MLP. The proof is in the fandom, by how friendly and how kind each one is to one another in sharing this amazing interest. I'm kind of sick of people that don't bother watching the show because they think it's too girly, or freaked out that so many people in the fanbase are adults. Well that's WHY they watch the show. If there's any age group that needs to learn the morals and lessons that MLP: FiM provides it would definitely have to be adults in my opinion. So many adults in this day and age grow up to be immature, judgmental, crime circulated individuals, or are just plain non friendly. It's because of these negative things that so many adults feel alone or left behind, that when they watch the show they feel changed. They feel changed because the show is about bringing people together, and the community definitely helps to serve that message. The show is an AMAZING teaching tool that does that.
Silvertongue
Silvertongue
Foal

Brohoof! : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Spitfire Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 am

Well said, well said.

Something I've been hesitent to say..
Like some people I've heard of, I always skip past the opening intro, for, it still pushes the lines for me, IDK why, but it does. the opening tune is also likely the most neglected pony song on my mp3 player.

That said, I caught myself singing the song in my head the other day, I fell conflicted, but, accepting
Spitfire
Spitfire
Hydra

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:11 am

I skip it as well, but I do that with every show I watch. Because in shows like this, where they give a little set-up blurb before the title sequence, I don't want to stop to watch something I've seen in every other episode already, so I skip it and get to the episode!
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down