Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+14
Icy Shake
RoboRed
Epsilon
StoneSlinger88
brony all alone
Valikdu
Katarn
Scienza
Whiskey Rebellion
O. Hinds
Frost
Harmony Ltd.
Tytan
Stringtheory
18 posters

Page 17 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 17 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ironmonger Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:07 am

I found something close to my mobile desktop idea. However, this is still far heavier than what I had in mind, and the concept isn't anything new; it seems to be based on existing industrial PCs.  Despite those two points, I'm glad to see that something like this exists.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 17 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Tytan Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:18 am

Fuck I should be asleep.

http://www.newegg.com/All-All-in-One-PCs/SubCategory/ID-3309?Tid=23501

Don't know if this helps, and not to be to technical, but these should be all pcs with all the bits in the monitor.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:00 am

@Tytan

I've already looked at a lot of those designs, but I'll give them another look. The four issues that come to mind regarding that type of All-in-One are cooling, high center-of-gravity, cost, and upgradability. The second one can be mitigated with a proper stand, but that would inevitably enlarge the small footprint of the design, which goes against one of the perks of that form factor. The first one is tricky because, even with parts from Intel and Nvidia, the PC might start to throttle. It's just hard to efficiently cool the small space that houses the components. That could be fixed with a larger housing, but then one runs into balance issues with the case's stand and added stress on the hinges that tilt the screen.

I'm working on a clamshell-style All-in-One made of steel for strength and aluminum and plastic for saving weight. The idea is to outperform gaming laptops while still being semi-portable, completely upgradeable, and relatively cool.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:16 am

@Iron
You can fix parts like motherboard (and everything on it) to wall. With suitable isolation material. Fix power block to same wall, same to drives. Since there will be no 'small box for hardware to suffocate in' it would give decent cooling effect, but it might look ugly...but somewhat original. Also there is problem of all this pile of expensive shit to just falling on the floor/desk/cat/you and smashing to pieces.
My friend once 'built' his PC in something like pizza box.

Though like I've said to you some time ago - for good cooling effect you should look for Cooler Master, Aero cool, etc chassis and then build everything around it.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:42 am

@Katarn

That first bit is an interesting thought... I like it. I'll keep that in mind for an office project, but right now I need something more portable.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Guess what I just pre-ordered?

This is going to be so cool. Rainbow
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:26 pm

...the reviewer wasn't kidding that you can get stuck in Pillars' character creation screen for hours. I'm just reading all the lore there now.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Harmony wrote:Guess what I just pre-ordered?

This is going to be so cool. Rainbow
Neat.
Though the "TOUCHLESS GESTURES", "No more looking down to fumble with knobs, buttons or touch screens." bit is another thing making me think of this:
Douglas Adams wrote:For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive -- you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was waver your hand in the general direction of the components and hope.  It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program.

On another note, I've been reading about and watching some videos of teletypes recently.  Pretty impressive machines, I think.  I also found one page describing the noise as a "fabulous electro-mechanical cacophony), which seems to me like a nice phrase.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:21 am

Well, yeah. Actually I only intend to use it for vehicle & navigation data (speed, RPM, next-turn-to-goal, speed limits & potentially radar zones if I were to subscribe to such a service...).

The notification & entertainment data seems like it'd be hazardous.

Once I have it in my hands we'll see how I can set it up. They promise a high degree of user customization (in term of which data you can choose to display).
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:29 am

O. Hinds wrote:On another note, I've been reading about and watching some videos of teletypes recently.  Pretty impressive machines, I think.  I also found one page describing the noise as a "fabulous electro-mechanical cacophony), which seems to me like a nice phrase.
This makes me think of something...

From my training on airplanes from a period where electronics wasn't what it is today, and seeing that teletype in action; I have to say it is impressive just how much ingenuity people in the 20th century have had to come up with to give some degree of "intelligence" to things at a time where microprocessors or even transistors didn't even exist yet.

I really respect mechanical engineers. The amount of thought they have to put into mechanisms to do something that we today can solve far more easily with a few printed circuit boards and some lines of code is impressive.

Of course, what we do today is built on the foundations of what they did before, but still... Have you seen how complex these old mechanisms are?

Though this impression I have may be born only from the fact these mechanical constructs allow us to perceive their complexity, whereas modern electronics could as well be magic from how it do things without letting us see just how exactly it does it.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:27 pm

I have had similar thoughts.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:39 am

For over a week now, this is has been and still is what wakes me up in the morning.

Where has my life come to?...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:04 am

You sick bastard....
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:23 pm

For all those who liked Ruby Quest or are interested in horror point and click adventure games, I'd like to recommend, now six years old, The White Chamber. From the little I've played so far it's basically the same setup as Ruby Quest (wake up in a pod with amnesia and weird shit is happening in the facility you're in). The art's beautiful 80's style anime graphics, in fact the same guy who did the TIE Fighter short also did the art for it, so it's amazing:
Sample Screenshot:
I haven't gotten very far yet, but I've already found two bad ends one due to my own curiosity getting the better of me, and the other from not figuring out a puzzle in time.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Stringtheory wrote:For all those who liked Ruby Quest or are interested in horror point and click adventure games, I'd like to recommend, now six years old, The White Chamber. From the little I've played so far it's basically the same setup as Ruby Quest (wake up in a pod with amnesia and weird shit is happening in the facility you're in). The art's beautiful 80's style anime graphics, in fact the same guy who did the TIE Fighter short also did the art for it, so it's amazing:
Sample Screenshot:
I haven't gotten very far yet, but I've already found two bad ends one due to my own curiosity getting the better of me, and the other from not figuring out a puzzle in time.
Oooh, I've been meaning to play that. Ruby Quest was the shit.

On an unrelated note:
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Scienza wrote:
On an unrelated note:

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 17 EqTy0

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:58 pm

The new daily show host has been announced.:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:34 am

On an unrelated note:
 I wonder what preparsatans were made in anticisatan of that event.
Downloaded Skill
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:48 am

For anyone who is still sore over "Magical Mystery Cure," or who just likes the Mr. Plinkett review format: a long-ass analysis of how that episode ruined everything. Guy knows the format, and makes the points both comprehensively and engagingly.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:08 am

Ah, yes, I read that earlier and found it interesting.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:10 am

I really wish this was actually a thing.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:06 pm

Hijinx and Tomfoolery
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Downloaded Skill wrote:

On an unrelated note:
 I wonder what preparsatans were made in anticisatan of that event.
Related?...

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 17 Tumblr_nls3wik95n1r5nwzoo1_1280

I certainly agree with the sentiment.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:32 pm

I empathize with this picture:

Spoiler:
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Valikdu wrote:I empathize with this picture:

Spoiler:
Wow, I never realized they put that much research into the military stuff, guess I'm a normal person then... Trollestia
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:15 pm

Valikdu wrote:I empathize with this picture:

Spoiler:
Dem Flanker-D's, tho...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:14 am

Happy birthday, swicked!
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:38 am

Oh, happy birthday!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:07 am

Happy birthday indeed!

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:51 am

Have an adequate another-year-of-being-inexorably-drawn-into-the-reaper's-dark-embrace, Swick.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 31 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 31  Next