Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+16
Frost
O. Hinds
Tytan
Scienza
Katarn
Kattlarv
brony all alone
Valikdu
Harmony Ltd.
Ironmonger
Ketchup
StoneSlinger88
iLateralGX
Vinylshadow
tylertoon2
Stringtheory
20 posters

Page 15 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 30  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Frost Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:55 pm

I do enjoy some Scary Butt Fun. 

On a related note, debate is ongoing as to weather the SHARP training in my company is counterproductive or merely unproductive. The highlights:

Instructor: "A'ight, so let's say PFC Engel (points to PFC Engel, who was the 'victim' in every example the entire class) what does he do?"
"Scream"
"Cry like a bitch"
"Lube it up"
"Take it like a man."

Instructor: "Say your wife is raped on-post. What do you do?"
*All together*"Find 'im and kill 'im"

Instructor: "If you've been assaulted, should you shower?" *various answers in the negative* "Right. There's evidence on you."

"There's cream filling still in the donut!"

Instructor: "Alright, what did we learn today?"
"You can't rape the willing"
"If you're both drunk, get to the cops first"
"Don't go drinking with SGT Brutus."

Honorable mention:

Instructor: "Alright, someone come up here and read this slide."
Team Leader: "Banning, get dat ass up there."
Instructor: *points* "You. You are why we're here."
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Stringtheory Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:58 pm

Mister Frost wrote:*snip*
Did anyone actually think it would turn out any differently... Trollestia
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Stringtheory wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:*snip*
Did anyone actually think it would turn out any differently... Trollestia
It's the gambler's fallacy. Maybe, this time it'll work...
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:09 am

At first I was confused what SHARP means. So I Googled it. Was looking at pictures of TV's and some other stuff for a while. And only on page 2 (at the very bottom) I've found it's meaning.

PS
Poor PFC Engel.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:48 am

I've been consuming media again! (Oh no!)

-As I am wont to do, I belatedly acted on the recommendations of friends and binged on that Madoka Magica anime via Netflix, where it is available. Shit's strong. Dunno if it's come up here or not, but it's strong. Without going into spoilers, I think what worked best was the fluid relationships between the characters, as well as the overall storyline becoming very compelling. I liked that the creators were willing to tell the viewer to go fuck themselves. That's an admirable trait. The use of different art styles was well done, too. Bottom line, it was punishing, enjoyable, and tightly put together. Very recommendable. I'm probably extremely late to the party on this one.

-Speaking of punishing, new William Gibson novel's out! Called "The Peripheral". Gibson's also the kind of creator who's willing to tell the audience to screw, though in a different way: he just has a tight focus in on the perspective of his characters, which means that the reader is going to be tasked with filling in a lot of blanks, often just to figure out basic things like "what exactly is this character up to right now?". His prose is just beautiful, as usual. The concepts he throws around are a bit less foreign than I imagine the ones he was using in "Neuromancer" were at the time of its publication, but we're probably a more informed public than folks were back then, too; and in fairness there were still plenty of times where I felt perfectly lost in this one. Haven't finished it yet, but I'm having a damn good time on this particular ride. Got lots of stuff about transhumans, 3D printing, telepresence, some stuff I can't reveal without spoilers, and it's filled with both grit and gloss. The alienation both produce is fantastic. Not late on this one, it's brand new!

-Last one's for any extreme punk/metal (it rides the boundary) or noise fans out there - not sure if there even are, but if there are, Merzbow and some band called Full of Hell made an album that doesn't seem to have a title. It starts out with some grind-y punk that's done pretty well, and unfolds into some lovely noise stuff as it goes on. Again, following the theme of this post, it's pretty punishing, but the noise stuff's actually quite pleasant, depending on your tastes. Relaxing. It's possible the release is only average at best, and I just have been neglecting this part of my musical palate for long enough that it tastes extra-delicious. Still, probably worth a listen if you like screaming, blastbeats, shrieking distortion, wailing trumpets, and, literally, all that noise.

-A question: how worth reading is Worm? I've read superhuman/superhero fiction before, both times with darker takes than you usually see in comics and a focus on characters rather than *BIFF*s and *POW*s and all that, but both times I've not felt completely engaged. (Was a couple of the Wildcards books by George RR Martin et al. and Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson) Anyone willing to make the case for it, or say how far into it I should read before I'd know whether or not it's working for me?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:48 am

@Stringtheory

I rewatched Fate/Zero and I got a theory about the ending but I'm not 100% on it.

Fate/Zero spoilers:

Last edited by Last on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:32 am

I think they chalk that sort of thing up to "Plot convenience"

"Why didn't character A use the same method as character B, where B's tactic worked a lot better at doing the same thing?"

@SHARP (Sexual Harassment Assault Response & Prevention, right?)

Well, that's one way to learn about it; a little rough around the edges, but I'm sure they're drilling the right things into your thick skulls and toss in some crude humor to prevent you from being bored to tears...
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:47 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:but I'm sure they're drilling the right things into your thick skulls
Jibes and insults are how I talk to my friends, yes. We are not friends. It is not funny or endearing. I don't give a shit about your opinion of me or the Army at large ( notwithstanding the fact that veterans are statistically more law-abiding and have a higher rate of college graduates than the general population) but your clumsy insults are only compounded by the fact that you completely misunderstood the post.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:52 pm

And there's a handy who's who guide for when they introduce a whole bunch of characters and you're like 'wait, what?'

At least, I have that in my PDF version...

-

My apologies, Frosty
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:55 pm

swicked wrote:@Cobalt
I liked worm. All of it. If you start reading and your only problem is the bullying, that eventually stops. Otherwise, if you don't  like it, then stop whenever.
It didn't hook me right off the bat. It was just good. It got progressively more and more addictive as the story continued.
Gotcha, good to know. Sounds like something to make some time for.

In other news, it's snowing over here! Not much yet, but slow and steady. We're expecting 4 to 8 inches last I heard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:19 pm

It's usually 30-40ish here in the mornings--of course, when you're used to 80 degrees at midday by now, you're outside for upwards of two hours at a time working or PT-ing, and your "winter" uniforms suck a hairy chode, that 30-40 feels closer to some sort of Alaska bullshit-type cold.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:24 pm

I regret nothing:

I love winter; it's beautiful....as long as you're inside, by a roaring fire with a cup of cocoa in your hooves...

-

Do your winter uniforms include skirts?

-

Oh hey, Artemis Fowl goes to Equestria
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:Do your winter uniforms include skirts?
I'm torn between not dignifying that crude attempt at cleverness with a response and taking the opportunity to remind you how fucking stupid you are.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:08 pm

Last wrote:@Stringtheory

I rewatched Fate/Zero and I got a theory about the ending but I'm not 100% on it.

Fate/Zero spoilers:
Fate/Zero spoilers:

Oh, another good show is Aldernoah.Zero. It plays nearly every mecha stereotype in the book (princesses on the run, political drama, OP supermechs (but they're the enemies), cold militaristic MCs) perfectly straight, but yet is totally awesome. I blame the awesomeness on the amazing animation, the absolutely fucking perfect soundtrack, the fact that the MC wins through guile, not bullshit asspulls, and the fact that he doesn't fuck around. It takes until the third episode for all that to rev up to full speed and from then on enjoy the ride and feel free to vent your rage at the finale with the rest of us.

Last edited by Stringtheory on Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:08 pm

@ Fate/Zero:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Last wrote:
@ Fate/Zero:
Considering it's a prequel to Fate/Stay Night and that they drop HUGE spoilers in the prologue again for Fate/Stay Night, yes you are supposed to know the source material. However, when that source material is an 100+ hour Visual Novel...
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:58 pm

They made an animated prequel for a visual novel? Not to insult visual novels, but they seem to have a very specific fanbase. Why would you expand or continue a story using another media? That seems like a very strange decision to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:10 pm

Last wrote:They made an animated prequel for a visual novel? Not to insult visual novels, but they seem to have a very specific fanbase. Why would you expand or continue a story using another media? That seems like a very strange decision to me.
You obviously don't know how big the Fate series is...it's now gotten two animes (one's reviled, the other one is currently airing and is done by the same studio as Fate/Zero), one movie by the same studio who did the original anime and the third route will be made into a movie by Fate/Zero studio as well. Not to mention the huge number of other stand alone spin offs. Not to mention Fate/Zero was originally a Light Novel written by Gen Urobuchi (who did Madoka Magica). Not to mention it's the highest selling Visual Novel in Japan, not to mention it's got a clean (no sex scenes) release on the PS2 and now a re-release on the Vita.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:46 pm

swicked wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:
Vinylshadow wrote:Do your winter uniforms include skirts?
I'm torn between not dignifying that crude attempt at cleverness with a response and taking the opportunity to remind you how fucking stupid you are.
Is it a jab regarding the SHARP training? That people who take it become feminized?
Meh, I guess should probably just drop it given his penchant for saying stupid stuff that makes little sense because he's one of those "haha I'm so random and crazy" people.
I'm not sure how a (fairly ineffectual) class about not raping people is supposed to feminize someone. I think he misinterprets things similarly--I trade jabs and insults with my friends, so he thinks he can do likewise. I and others in the military take jabs and inside jokes at the system's expense, so he thinks criticizing it (while not knowing a damn thing about it) makes him both funny and 'edgy'.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:25 pm

He has demonstrable poor ability to learn from past mistakes.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:54 pm

@String

I don't think being popular really cchanges how questionable that desicion is. It to me sounds like if JK Rowling had written Sorcerer's stone and then decided to release Chamber of Secrets exclusively as a movie. As great as books are more people watch movies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:05 pm

Last wrote:@String

I don't think being popular really changes how questionable that decision is. It to me sounds like if JK Rowling had written Sorcerer's stone and then decided to release Chamber of Secrets exclusively as a movie. As great as books are more people watch movies.
Here's the quote from the wiki:
Type-Moon wiki wrote:The project began when Nitro+ writer, Gen Urobuchi, met with Kinoko Nasu [creator] and Takashi Takeuchi [co-creator, illustrator]. Takeuchi suggested a prequel proposal to Urobuchi, who had been experiencing writer's block while attempting to write a happy story. Urobuchi, who was known for his tragic stories, agreed to become the writer for the project. Though Urobuchi is the writer for the series, the project was supervised by Kinoko Nasu, who looked over the draft for the new characters and the plot.
I guess the closest comparison with your Harry Potter example is if J.K. Rowling hired some other writer who was well known for working with the themes she wanted to totally flesh out the backstory of say, Voldemort and supervised the production.
I guess releasing it as Light Novels would've been less of a risk than jumping straight to an anime?
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:16 am

Damn you, swicked!
Now I'm getting weird looks from my co-workers and I can't stop grinning like an idiot XD
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Epsilon Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:17 am

I knew exactly what this was before even starting it and I still can't stop giggling like an idiot. I needed this so much, thank you.

Also, pleasure to meet you folks here in the general discussion![Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Y1yPLGI
Epsilon
Epsilon
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:26 am

@Epsilon
Hey there!

@swicked
Ah, I remember the audio from that from a ways back. Classic internet stuff. Great art to go with it, very expressive.

edit: oh, yeah, and happy Thanksgiving for those who're celebrating it (or those who wanna be wished a happy day, I suppose, nothing wrong with that)! I gotta admit to really enjoying this holiday. Seeing family, eating good food, a day or two off... This one's especially nice 'cos my mum just got out of hospital and it looks like it was nothing chronic so she should be 'k.

Last edited by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:28 am

Heya, welcome to our (in)sane corner of this forum. Crazy
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Epsilon Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:44 am

A pleasure to meet you, Kyle and Cobalt.

And yes, a happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it!

By the way, I noticed there was an associated (invite-only) group on Steam. Does anyone still use that? The relevant threads seem rather old now...
Epsilon
Epsilon
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:47 am

@Steam group
I don't think so. I mean, I don't get any notifications about any planned plays anymore...not that I've participated in most of them anyway.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:26 am

I found a pony song covered by a legit German Melodeath band. My day is made.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:41 am

You've only found it? I've been listening to it for like 2 years or so. At first you can't get, that it's song from MLP.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 30  Next