Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+20
Plasticube
Downloaded Skill
StoneSlinger88
O. Hinds
Derpmind
Kattlarv
Valikdu
Aonee
Stringtheory
Kippershy
Katarn
Tytan
cb5
Ironmonger
Ketchup
Harmony Ltd.
Frost
Moodyman90
Scyto Harmony
RoboRed
24 posters

Page 15 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Frost Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:17 pm

cb5 wrote:
Moodyman90 wrote:Well they was the cheapest and safest things at the time. Obviously that changed but they where useful while they lasted.

Though the fact the shuttles got scrapped means that the economy around the Kennedy Space Center took a major hit because there's nobody going down there to watch the show anymore.
Me and my cousin went down there to see the last shuttle launch, it was worth it.
BUT, amount of tourism the kennedy space center took in vs the costs of actually launching the space shuttle is not even close to worth it.

Personally the biggest problem with our current ideas on space and space travel is we like to go big.  We always invision the far future as having city sized space craft able to transport hundreds of thousands of people and land on a alien planet and exit no problem.  Realistically speaking if we ever do have large space craft able to transport that amount of cargo chances are it will be constructed in space and never enter a planet's atmosphere or land on any planet and instead shuttle cargo back and forth using smaller craft.

When we ever start colonizing space we'll all probably have a shuttle to take us to a interplanetary vessel instead, because the idea of us ever making something capable of transporting millions of people into space in one go is too fucking ridiculous.
This. The only way to build a spaceship with the functionality of, say, an aircraft carrier, would be to build it in orbit, preferably with materials mined from low-gravity environments to get around the atrocious costs of transporting matter to space (even with things like SKYLON).
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 15 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:20 pm

I wasn't talking about the space center itself, I was talking about the whole area around it. The locals who made a living suckering the money from the tourist who showed up and all.

Kennedy itself will probably still be a good place to visit if for nothing else than the history, but the local places who made a living off the huge crowds aren't going to last, if they haven't completely disappeared already.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Why can't we just build a giant glass shield over the planet, attach a shitton of rocket boosters to it, and travel the universe that way?

=D

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Mister Frost wrote:This. The only way to build a spaceship with the functionality of, say, an aircraft carrier, would be to build it in orbit, preferably with materials mined from low-gravity environments to get around the atrocious costs of transporting matter to space (even with things like SKYLON).
Well, a space elevator would solve the problem of getting materials from the earth up to orbit

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:Why can't we just build a giant glass shield over the planet, attach a shitton of rocket boosters to it, and travel the universe that way?

=D
Two words: the Sun, where are we going to find a light bulb big enough to replace it?
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:I wasn't talking about the space center itself, I was talking about the whole area around it. The locals who made a living suckering the money from the tourist who showed up and all.

Kennedy itself will probably still be a good place to visit if for nothing else than the history, but the local places who made a living off the huge crowds aren't going to last, if they haven't completely disappeared already.
The problem with that line of thinking is that government breaks down when you try to not break any eggs.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:47 pm

@StringTheory
They don't call them "space heaters" for nothing. We just fire up a bunch of those and glue them to the dome! Heat problems solved.

Everyone would then wear headlamps for the whole "darkness" problem, and eat vitamin D gummies. (What I'm trying to say is, I want a modern, satirical version of 19th century speculative fiction)

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:48 pm

I'm sorry but I'm unable to understand your analogy. 

Anyways, I'm saying that it sucks for the locals, but I suppose it was bound to happen eventually.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:52 pm

stringtheory wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:This. The only way to build a spaceship with the functionality of, say, an aircraft carrier, would be to build it in orbit, preferably with materials mined from low-gravity environments to get around the atrocious costs of transporting matter to space (even with things like SKYLON).
Well, a space elevator would solve the problem of getting materials from the earth up to orbit
True--I'd honestly forgotten about those.

Though we'd likely see companies that made small, personal interplanetary spacecraft that were affordable via that--build and store them on-planet, devoid of the power to actually escape gravity themselves, and have them go up/down the space elevator once they've made the journey from, say, Earth to Titan.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
stringtheory wrote:
True--I'd honestly forgotten about those.

Though we'd likely see companies that made small, personal interplanetary spacecraft that were affordable via that--build and store them on-planet, devoid of the power to actually escape gravity themselves, and have them go up/down the space elevator once they've made the journey from, say, Earth to Titan.
Eh, me personally I'm gambling on by the time we have a space elevator space mining will have taken off and we'll all be cyborgs by then. Why spend all those resources and stuff when fuck it you can just get your brain transported to a new body off world that doesn't actually need food as we know it? The current estimate for how many people will be able to colonize space by 2100 is only a million, but I'm going to have to call bullshit on that cause by then we can just have nanomachines mine a asteroid for resources and people's brains transported in jars to their new homes and their new bodies assembled there.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:13 pm

cb5 wrote:Eh, me personally I'm gambling on by the time we have a space elevator space mining will have taken off
That's part of the issue. The cost of sending out mining equipment is prohibitive without something like a space elevator.
cb5 wrote:and we'll all be cyborgs by then.  Why spend all those resources and stuff when fuck it you can just get your brain transported to a new body off world that doesn't actually need food as we know it?  The current estimate for how many people will be able to colonize space by 2100 is only a million, but I'm going to have to call bullshit on that cause by then we can just have nanomachines mine a asteroid for resources and people's brains transported in jars to their new homes and their new bodies assembled there.
As absurdly complex as space travel is, even more complex is running brain/computer interfaces that don't leave the brain a scrambled, gibbering mess. Assuming that it's really "uploading" and not "copying", as in "Oh, I'm glad that some other version of me is off to see the stars. I'm still fucking stuck here, though"

The cyborg thing, though, is on the horizon. I think it was just the other day the someone posted the article of Harvard crafting biomechanical flesh
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:38 pm

I want a prehensile penis.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 pm

StoneSlinger88 wrote:I want a prehensile penis.
 I want two
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
cb5 wrote:Eh, me personally I'm gambling on by the time we have a space elevator space mining will have taken off
That's part of the issue. The cost of sending out mining equipment is prohibitive without something like a space elevator.
cb5 wrote:and we'll all be cyborgs by then.  Why spend all those resources and stuff when fuck it you can just get your brain transported to a new body off world that doesn't actually need food as we know it?  The current estimate for how many people will be able to colonize space by 2100 is only a million, but I'm going to have to call bullshit on that cause by then we can just have nanomachines mine a asteroid for resources and people's brains transported in jars to their new homes and their new bodies assembled there.
As absurdly complex as space travel is, even more complex is running brain/computer interfaces that don't leave the brain a scrambled, gibbering mess. Assuming that it's really "uploading" and not "copying", as in "Oh, I'm glad that some other version of me is off to see the stars. I'm still fucking stuck here, though"

The cyborg thing, though, is on the horizon. I think it was just the other day the someone posted the article of Harvard crafting biomechanical flesh
Personally my money is on us becoming hybrid beings.  If you ever have watched stargate sg-1, I'm talking about the replicators, but with organic parts.  Like I highly doubt most people will completley give up having a physical organic looking form, but like be 50% oranganic and 50% machine and our maching parts outwardly will look organic.  If we do go that way if we run into aliens their first reaction will probably be, ". . . shit" cause the benefit of something like that is if you made someone eat a grenade they would just reassemble themselves.

They are actually working on a brain machine interface right now, the reason why it's not here yet is they're being extremely cautious cause if you fuck up then that person is paralized.  It may not be here yet, but I'd rather them take their time making sure it is safe first.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
 I want two
One for each hole! Praise the Good Lord Phallus!
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 pm

While biomechanical people, even ones looking outwardly normal, would be extremely physically apt compared to their squishy counterparts, it'll be a long, long time before anyone's at the "pulling themselves together after getting 'naded in the damn face" stage
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:54 pm

StoneSlinger88 wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:
 I want two
One for each hole! Praise the Good Lord Phallus!
I want to get an A.I. installed in both of my penises so they can be Logical Phalluses
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:08 pm

I want one to shoot maple syrup because maple-flavored nipples are the best nipples.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:19 pm

I'll be conducting penetration tests in my basement if anyone is interested. BYOL (Bring Your Own Lube).
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 pm

StoneSlinger88 wrote:I'll be conducting penetration tests in my basement if anyone is interested. BYOL (Bring Your Own Lube).
Oh, no. I'll have to study all night for this test.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Tutoring available 6 - 9.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:53 pm

StoneSlinger88 wrote:Tutoring available 6 - 9.
Hm. I think I'll need some more time. Can I see you after class, or is that reserved for students who've been naughty?
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 pm

I go out to do legitimate work and acquire a tasty burger, and I come back to this. What the deuce...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 pm

You know better than to leave us alone Robo.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Blackjack's New Theme :
tylertoon2
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:You know better than to leave us alone Robo.
Especially when he's welcome to join in, mmhmm.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 pm

I would, but I'm a little too much in a state of "wtf" after the maple syrup nipples comment.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Meh, not the worst I've heard.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:02 pm

OH GOD HILARIOUS
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 pm

RoboRed wrote:I would, but I'm a little too much in a state of "wtf" after the maple syrup nipples comment.
We were discussing dual prehensile sentient penises, and you draw the line at syrup nipples?
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:12 pm

MY BRAIN IS STILL A LITTLE FRIED FROM BEING HUNGOVER OKAYGOD
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 31  Next