Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+22
Necr0maNceR
RoboRed
IncoherentOrange
Quotidian
Cptadder
Admiral Stoic Rum
CamoBadger
iLateralGX
O. Hinds
StoneSlinger88
Ketchup
Sindri
Ironmonger
Moodyman90
OneMoreDaySK
Valikdu
tylertoon2
Stringtheory
Frost
Harmony Ltd.
Meleagridis
Kippershy
26 posters

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Frost Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:57 pm

If they had the capability of making Directed Energy Weapons, they'd be smart and just make magnetic-propelled ballistics anyway
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ironmonger Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Sindri wrote:
Yes, just like how every modern rifle is designed to be able to muzzle-load a classic musket ball, just in case, and why an axe blade comes permanently attached to every crossbow.
If the reek of sarcasm was any heavier, this page would be a landfill.

Anywho, what Frost said.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:15 pm

So, RE Voltaire in Equestria...

That was a pretty good read.

I second Hind's recommendation of the stuff.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Mister Frost wrote:If they had the capability of making Directed Energy Weapons, they'd be smart and just make magnetic-propelled ballistics anyway
There are significant advantages in theory of energy weapons over projectiles. A laser doesn't have a travel time for example, or a recoil, so if nothing else they'd be great for extreme ranges and microgravity. And once power production advances enough, you can get steady bombardment from an energy weapon as long as your reactor is running but every shot with a projectile takes physical ammunition that needs to be carried. There will almost certainly come a time when the available technology makes personal energy weapons more practical than slug throwers for some if not most purposes. That time is a long way off, and probably past a long period of dominance by electromagnetically propelled projectiles, but it will come.

But trying to make a weapon do two things at once just doesn't work. An energy weapon and a slug thrower would have little if anything in common, mechanism-wise. If you try to combine the mechanisms, parts that used to be perfect for one purpose are forced to instead be adequate at two and neither weapon works as well. Or if you try to just stack the mechanisms without them interacting, you get an incredibly unwieldy and inefficient tool. Adding more guns to your gun does not give you a better gun.

And the weapon pictured is clearly not electromagnetic, just from looking at that barrel.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Someone said "pulse rifle" ?

This is a

Pulse

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 AT_43_D_by_fuchsiart

Rifle

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 AT_43_F_by_fuchsiart
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:29 pm

I could just say I was talking in perceptive of the film but no, I'll own up to my stupid idea. Though in all honestly if the film was to pull off some kind of bullshit like that there's no stopping them.

Although I love how you left off the fact that the military still trains soldiers to be able to use bayonets.

And as a show that this hasn't been my first stupid weapon idea, back in high school I came up with a sword hidden inside a guitar. Looking back yes it's a stupid idea because even if the sword was of a decent quality, hiding it inside a guitar would ruin the sound.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:30 pm

unrelated :

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 Ava_by_fuchsiart
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:31 pm

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 16 At_43_b_by_fuchsiart-2ffb52b

"That's not really what I meant when I said I was into twins...."

"You'll take what you get."
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:Although I love how you left off the fact that the military still trains soldiers to be able to use bayonets.

1.) The training alone helps build an agressive mindset, preparing the soldier to make the kill without hesitation.

2.) Adding CQB capability to your ranged weapon is not the same as duct-taping one ranged weapon to another
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 pm

So this is unrelated but apparently the horse farm up the street from my house raises zonies. Is it wrong that I want to go find one at the farm and call it Professor Zodiac?

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Point taken and I concede.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:I love how you left off the fact that the military still trains soldiers to be able to use bayonets.
Well yeah, a bayonet is a magnificent combination that costs you nothing and significantly widens your combat options. You take advantage of overlapping structural components that are required for both the rifle and the spear to give you a weapon that can be used as both without detracting from either. Similarly, an underslung grenade launcher reuses the stock and grip to give you all the capabilities of a (heavier than it should be) rifle and a (kinda shitty) grenade launcher without the bulk of carrying separate weapons. Heck, a lot of old pole arms gave you the capabilities of a pike and an axe and a pick/hook because it was cheap and the heavy part (the pole) was the same.

But adding a rifle that shoots bullets to a rifle that shoots lasers? You gain nothing, and it costs a lot from both because the important components can't overlap without crippling the functionality of both weapons. It's like an assault rifle that is also a musket for no reason.

And as a show that this hasn't been my first stupid weapon idea, back in high school I came up with a sword hidden inside a guitar. Looking back yes it's a stupid idea because even if the sword was of a decent quality, hiding it inside a guitar would ruin the sound.
Hold on. I think we can get this to work, we just need to make a sword with the right resonance...
An axe/base would probably be easier though. Coo
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:45 pm

But wouldn't a resonant sword risk to have structural problems coming from its tendency to resonate when being struck against another object ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Sindri wrote:Well, it's a future gun, it could have like fifty tiny rounds in that box.
...Except that you can see the barrel and the bullets clearly aren't that tiny.
Sooo...
Mister Frost wrote:A pulse rifle with a muzzle brake?

*remembers the huge-caliber barrels with muzzle brakes in ME3*
Le ugh...

I think that we all agree that, in many (if not most) cases, fictional guns are required to just look cool, not functional.

Last edited by Valikdu on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:48 pm

Valikdu wrote:
Sindri wrote:Well, it's a future gun, it could have like fifty tiny rounds in that box.
...Except that you can see the barrel and the bullets clearly aren't that tiny.
Sooo...
Mister Frost wrote:A pulse rifle with a muzzle brake?

*remembers the huge-caliber barrels with muzzle brakes in ME3*
Le ugh...

I think that we all agree that, in many (if not most) cases, fictional guns are required to just look cool, not functional.

Yeah, that sounds about right

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Sword-guitar
*remembers the outro of The Frozen Throne, where Arthas plays awesome metal with the Frostmourne-guitar*

That's a great idea!
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:But wouldn't a resonant sword risk to have structural problems coming from its tendency to resonate when being struck against another object ?
Well, pretty much anything will resonate if you hit it right. I don't think you should have much problem with it in a sword blade unless you make it silly long or thin. But I admit that I know very little about making swords.

And of course now I'm thinking of some horribly impractical rock-powered vibro-blade, because it would be awesome.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 pm

That sounds like Tzeentchi-speak...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Ukelele shotgun.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Ukelele shotgun.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:55 pm

Ironmonger wrote:
Oh my god, lol.

Guarddogjr wrote:So this is unrelated but apparently the horse farm up the street from my house raises zonies. Is it wrong that I want to go find one at the farm and call it Professor Zodiac?
DO IT.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Well this is the part where my sword-guitar idea was stupid at.

The "idea" was that you'd take the shape of an acoustic guitar, the head would be the sword handle with the whole neck and body being a sheath for the sword itself. To add to the impracticality, the bridge would pop off but the string would still be connected to the head. Once again the idea was it could also act like a flail but would most likely get in the way and cause self injury.

Finally the body of the guitar would be like a shield if made with sturdy enough material.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:Ukelele shotgun.

That's funny, in America we just pronounce existing letters differently, don't need yo shitty-ass bootleg A's and O's.

That's why we should have wiped out Norway years ago
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Frost and I should start a youtube channel.

*insane laughter*

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Taking back the "sane" from "insane"
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Mister Frost wrote:That's why we should have wiped out Norway years ago
Well, Norway IS an oil-producing country... Princess Celestia
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:That's why we should have wiped out Norway years ago
Well, Norway IS an oil-producing country... Princess Celestia

I didn't say Nuke them. All we have to do is send a high-ranking ember of their government a link to TvTropes.

Within months, their country will be gone.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:24 pm

Tonight is Russian-Themed Disco night

Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Mister Frost wrote:TvTropes
I think they would rather take the nuke.

I know I would. Applebloom
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:26 pm

P.S. : "Irak got weapons of Mass Destruction and some oil too but that has absolutely nothing to do with anything..."
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 24 ... 32  Next