Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+23
Downloaded Skill
Derpmind
Moodyman90
Overthepacific
OneMoreDaySK
Meleagridis
WovenTales
Quotidian
Stringtheory
Ketchup
_Sindri
Valikdu
CamoBadger
Kippershy
Cptadder
iLateralGX
O. Hinds
StoneSlinger88
Frost
Sindri
RoboRed
Ironmonger
Harmony Ltd.
27 posters

Page 18 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 18 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ironmonger Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:54 pm

I just wish there were a few more wrestlers like Andre the Giant, the only other I know of being remotely that intimidating is Mark Henry. Khali is intimidating, but he's mostly just tall. Andre was fucking scary.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 18 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by O. Hinds Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm a bit late to this, but another option would be an attack rotodyne. That's a fictional design, but... well, I like rotodynes. There's a reason that they're the Pax Roamana and Alliance's primary VTOL aircraft.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Andre the Giant has always been my favorite, especially after seeing him in The Princess Bride. He was so dedicated to wrestling, his last match he was in tremendous pain the entire time but kept going to give Hulk Hogan a proper start in the industry.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:14 pm

O. Hinds wrote:I'm a bit late to this, but another option would be an attack rotodyne. That's a fictional design, but... well, I like rotodynes. There's a reason that they're the Pax Roamana and Alliance's primary VTOL aircraft.
so they're helicopters with wings/fixed wing aircraft with rotors, interesting idea, though wouldn't the rotor cause a huge amount of drag when operating as a fixed wing aircraft, while the wings would just be dead weight when using the rotor? or is there some kind hybrid of the two where they both work at the same time? or am I completely misunderstanding the design completely?
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:46 pm

I just stumbled upon this :

Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:48 pm

O. Hinds wrote:I'm a bit late to this, but another option would be an attack rotodyne. That's a fictional design, but... well, I like rotodynes. There's a reason that they're the Pax Roamana and Alliance's primary VTOL aircraft.
That's nice specs on paper there, but I'd be curious to know if they have any basis on reality.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:02 pm

I found a thing
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:07 pm

"We'll be home by Hearth's Warming, just you wait......."
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:10 pm

stringtheory wrote:
so they're helicopters with wings/fixed wing aircraft with rotors, interesting idea, though wouldn't the rotor cause a huge amount of drag when operating as a fixed wing aircraft, while the wings would just be dead weight when using the rotor? or is there some kind hybrid of the two where they both work at the same time? or am I completely misunderstanding the design completely?
A rotodyne's rotor is always its primary source of lift; stub wings, if present at all, are only addons.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
That's nice specs on paper there, but I'd be curious to know if they have any basis on reality.
Not really, sadly. There hasn't, to my knowledge, been real development work with rotodynes since the Fairey, and hence it's difficult to know just what the configuration could do with modern technology.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:03 pm

I finally understand why they were talking about making an Airborne Laser for ground strikes.

It could loiter in the skies at high altitude (high enough to be safe from most ground-based AA-defense) for hours on end, and be targeted over a large area "on-the-fly", with a very high degree of precision.

The only problems would be that :

1/ if it use the kind of laser they use for ABM defense (chemical lasers) then it will only be able to shoot for a limited amount of time / shots (depending on the quantity of reactive chemical it has on board).
2/ that kind of laser does not blow things up, but heat them until they melt / explode by themselves.

Point 1 could be solved if we make enough progress with non-chemical lasers to reliably generate a very-high power laser in the adequate wavelength (so as to minimize the amount of energy lost from the atmosphere's opacity to the wavelength).

Point 2 wouldn't be much of a problem against vehicles and buildings, if the laser is coupled with good targeting equipments. And would probably be as effective against personnels than explosives is used right (after all, incendiary weapons are pretty effective anti-personnel weapons...).

The only problem with lasers is that it's easy enough to defend against them by generating the right kind of smokescreen / throwing reflective particles in the air to disperse the laser ray. That's where it become really important to choose wisely the wavelength your laser will use, or even better, for you to be able to modulate the wavelength of the laser on-the-fly.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:I finally understand why they were talking about making an Airborne Laser for ground strikes...
For ground strikes aren't projectile weapons a lot more practical? You can get similar range if you're not fighting gravity, and you get a lot more energy delivered to the target with a slug than a beam, at a fraction of the cost. Lasers are much better for missile interception and other fast targets (at least until they finish the first round of railgun development), but subluminal shots are more than adequate for anything tied to the dirt.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:19 pm

What'd ya do to get blocked? Honestly, pages nowadays are too uptight anyhow. Everyone's all "That's disturbing, Frost" and "Christ, Frost, put the knife down." It's a fucking buzzkill
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Mister Frost wrote:What'd ya do to get blocked? Honestly, pages nowadays are too uptight anyhow. Everyone's all "That's disturbing, Frost" and "Christ, Frost, put the knife down." It's a fucking buzzkill
I know! Half the time when I ask why the only response I get is somebody babbling about a "sea of blood" or something. I mean really, how am I supposed to know how much blood is objectionable? I've never come anywhere near a lake of it, let alone an ocean!

Point is, people need to clearly identify how much bloodshed is acceptable, and post it where I can see. 'No deeper than three inches on the floor of any room' or 'no more than 30% of the surface area of the average onlooker coated' or something.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Did you at least follow up by hanging him?

It's actually a misnomer that Witches where usually burned. A great deal of the time, they were hanged instead. Regardless, what page was this, and what did you correct his ass on?
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Sindri wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:What'd ya do to get blocked? Honestly, pages nowadays are too uptight anyhow. Everyone's all "That's disturbing, Frost" and "Christ, Frost, put the knife down." It's a fucking buzzkill
I know! Half the time when I ask why the only response I get is somebody babbling about a "sea of blood" or something. I mean really, how am I supposed to know how much blood is objectionable? I've never come anywhere near a lake of it, let alone an ocean!

Point is, people need to clearly identify how much bloodshed is acceptable, and post it where I can see. 'No deeper than three inches on the floor of any room' or 'no more than 30% of the surface area of the average onlooker coated' or something.

Fuck that noise. Just look at the 3.14th amendment of the U.S. Constitution: The right of the people for a fucking bloodbath shall not be infringed.

It's thought that this was intended to placate the British, who were still quite a menacing threat at the time: Their red coats would fade quickly, due to the primitive dyes of the time. To help, America started the tradition of spattering blood over all who looked like they needed a good blood-spattering
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Semi-related: I'm of the belief that Science and Religion can be friends. For instance, I'm a Christian, but I believe in Evolution, and it makes sense if you look at Genesis as a metaphor

*Steps off soapbox*

Ahem

I've been practicing my own demon-speak recently. It's not been going well. I can create the effect of black clouds and thunder behind me, but I can only speak with around 800 voices rather than the requisite 1000
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Semi-related: I'm of the belief that Science and Religion can be friends. For instance, I'm a Christian, but I believe in Evolution, and it makes sense if you look at Genesis as a metaphor

*Steps of soapbox*

Ahem

I've been practicing my own demon-speak recently. It's not been going well. I can create the effect of black clouds and thunder behind me, but I can only speak with around 800 voices rather than the requisite 1000
Fun fact: Pope John Paul II said that evolution was true.

And I think the book you've got has a translation error; that's supposed to be 1000 mouths, not voices.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Fun-fact: most Catholics then proceeded to ignore him.....so.... I'll shut up now. I'm not Catholic, so I don't have much room to speak.

*puts on condescending glasses and shakes head*

Trust me, Sindri, I'm the expert here. How many pestilence-flies can you expel from your lungs?

Trick question. It's measured in swarm-volume, not fly-number
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 pm

swicked wrote:
He posted a comic comparing religion to science, religion starting with conclusions and then finding facts, science starting with facts and then finding conclusions. I pointed out that the scientific method actually involves creating a hypothesis (IE, potential conclusion) to test pretty nearly first thing, though the comic was funnier the way it was. He claimed that the facts the comic was referring to was observable phenomena in the universe requiring explanation. I pointed out that that's how creationists start, though... they see the phenomena, then say "God did it."

In his latest post he stated that Christianity and science can be compatible... something I agree with, in many cases. Regardless, I accused him of the foul art of witchcraft, that he was speaking in the tongue of the demon and so forth, and then he blocked me.

It's weird how touchy "scientists" are these days.
Why did you accuse him of witchcraft and demon-speaking? That confuses me.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:04 pm

Oh, that is pretty funny.

This'll probably make very little sense:
My opinions on the coexistence of religion(in this case, general Christianity) pretty much boil down to the theoretical parts of sciences and the religious dogmas that are to be taken as fact, being God's will(if I understand it). They conflict on Creationism. Applied sciences aren't affected, as much of the universe works in observable ways.
You can't pit the two broad terms against the other, it's silly.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Fun-fact: most Catholics then proceeded to ignore him.....so.... I'll shut up now. I'm not Catholic, so I don't have much room to speak.
Actually, at least for American Catholics, a large percentage of them just ignore what the Popes have said when it contradicts modern thought. Plenty of them believe in evolution; from what I hear, it's more the protestants that go for with the whole "logic and reasoning are the devil's work" shtick. Though I heard this from an ex-Catholic who still identifies as one, culturally, so who knows! =P

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:Fun-fact: most Catholics then proceeded to ignore him.....so.... I'll shut up now. I'm not Catholic, so I don't have much room to speak.
Actually, at least for American Catholics, a large percentage of them just ignore what the Popes have said when it contradicts modern thought. Plenty of them believe in evolution; from what I hear, it's more the protestants that go for with the whole "logic and reasoning are the devil's work" shtick. Though I heard this from an ex-Catholic who still identifies as one, culturally, so who knows! =P
According to the most recent polls from Quinnipiac, 54% of American Catholics support gay marriage versus only 47% of Americans overall. And yet Catholics still have a reputation as crazy primitive fundamentalists among the other factions of Christianity.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:15 pm

WE INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM FOR:

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:40 am

BTW, thanks for the headphone recommendations, guys; I got a cheap Koss hang-on-ear-thing pair, and the sound quality is absolutely lovely. Totally works for my standards. And they don't make my ears smell like dish soap or anything!

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:45 am

Sindri wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:I finally understand why they were talking about making an Airborne Laser for ground strikes...
For ground strikes aren't projectile weapons a lot more practical? You can get similar range if you're not fighting gravity, and you get a lot more energy delivered to the target with a slug than a beam, at a fraction of the cost. Lasers are much better for missile interception and other fast targets (at least until they finish the first round of railgun development), but subluminal shots are more than adequate for anything tied to the dirt.
Well, the reason why they would be using laser in this case would be to conduct strikes from really high / far away, which would be really hard to do and would force the need for either a purpose built high-altitude gunship or the use of a lot missiles from normal jets ; instead of just converting a boeing 747 to fit the laser and targeting equipments into it.

Also, one of the advantages of a laser is that it is able to fill a great variety of missions, it's more flexible :

One minute you're supporting your troops' advance by melting tank crews, the second you use your laser to destroy enemy aircrafts, then you use your laser to wipe an area where enemy troops were concentrating.

That above would have demanded you use three distinct weapon systems (anti-tank missile / anti-air missile / carpet-bombing). Here all these missions can be done with only one system, at the condition that it be well linked in the various battle networks and integrated in the command structure.

Also, it should be able to provide anti-ballistic missile protection.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:58 am

Note that this is still in the context of a seaborne operation, where you are relatively far from any friendly base, have a limited capability to bring your own support with you (let alone a reduced number of troops), and were such High-Altitude Long-Endurance capabilities would be called for.

So being able to call a 747 derivative, with their ludicrously long range, to pretty much anywhere in the world from mainland America would be a pretty interesting capability to have.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:22 am

Random, but does anyone else get unexplained, extreme and debilitating pain in the arms and hands?

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 am

Ironmonger wrote:Random, but does anyone else get unexplained, extreme and debilitating pain in the arms and hands?
what kind of pain is it? because it could be any number of things
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:30 pm

I found a thing.

On a dark night filled with sparkly magic, a group of unidentified enthusiasts of some sort attempt to give Nightmare Moon some sizzle, utterly separate from Princess Luna. But, when the spell is interrupted by Celestia's slav... guards, something totally expected is created.
Now, a little black alicorn filly named Nyx finds herself held captive by Twilight Sparkle, only to be haunted by memories and emotions from her past.
Is she Nightmare Moon reborn or is she simply a science experiment? Can Twilight Sparkle protect Nyx from those who would call her out on fillynapping?
Or, will Nyx be forced to inherit the poor fashion sense that may not even be hers and become the greatest evil Equestria has ever known?
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/90150/class-sins
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Ironmonger wrote:Random, but does anyone else get unexplained, extreme and debilitating pain in the arms and hands?
Well, I had some kind of pain in the right foot yesterday, but that was after running for half an hour non-stop. Spike

In other words, no, I do not share your predicament.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 32 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25 ... 32  Next