Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+23
Downloaded Skill
Kattlarv
Valikdu
Scyto Harmony
Aonee
StoneSlinger88
Harmony Ltd.
Ironmonger
tylertoon2
Kippershy
Meleagridis
RoboRed
Katarn
Ketchup
O. Hinds
Scienza
Frost
Stringtheory
Tytan
CamoBadger
Moodyman90
cb5
27 posters

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Katarn Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:55 am

Well, I kinda liked it. Even brought tears to my eyes few times.

Though if you ask me what exactly I like about it, I couldn't tell you.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 2 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by RoboRed Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:59 am

I liked it.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:05 am

swicked wrote:
Last wrote:Out of curiosity Swicked did you happen to go to 4chan and see them talking about PH in a negative light while singing the praises of pink eyes?

I seem to remember you bringing up a similar topic a little while back. Curious if you're venting or not.
Been lurking on there for over a month now, I think. Not much more to vent.
They never stop talking about how much they hate Project Horizons, though. Ever.
They bring it up every single day. Always.
Sometimes they say it went bad after BJ didn't perma-die, other times they say there's absolutely nothing at all worthwhile in the entire thing and the story should have never been written. Then they start talking about Somber and every time he's gone on there and talked about his friend who burned to death or whatever else and just get really nasty.
Again, they do this EVERY day. They are the PERFECT example of an echo chamber, in that they all but literally echo non-stop.

They only bringing up how perfectly wonderful Pink Eyes is every third day or so.
The only complaint they have about Murky Number Seven is that it was slow during some stretch, otherwise it is a masterpiece.
I will never understand how kip can say, with a straight face, that these people are capable of legitimate, let alone sensical, criticism.

But that's neither here nor there. I do not care for Pink Eyes, but even Somber likes it and has included it in the canon of his fic. Pink Eyes is in the afterlife scene of the Birthday chapter, per his latest posts in the PH thread.
I get that everyone likes it because it is cute. That anyone I talk to simply repeats, over and over, that it's "their type of story" and is "heartbreaking" and, above all, "cute".
I was wondering, though, if anyone here doesn't like it, honestly. I want to see if I'm the only one.
Actually we had this discussion I think four days ago.  My point was that the characters are actually interesting and that the problem with so many fanfics is that the characters have about as much personality as bella from twilight.  Only a few fanfics actually have characters that have personalities that aren't the color of mud, and that if a fanfic's characters don't actually have a personality then it's a bad fanfic.

The reason why there's so many bad fanfics and by the flip coin why people like pink eyes is that people do NOT like fanfics where the characters have about as much emotions as microsoft sam.

If you want to know exactly everything people hate in a story then go watch The Last Airbender.

Personally I liked Pink Eyes cause puppysmiles actually had a personality that was memorable.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 am

Well, I did read it at one point. Then cute thing wandering around the horrible wasteland novelty got old for me (You could say that FO:E and all the side stories are guilty of that. They all have little magical horses and you wouldn't be wrong. But this story I felt took it to the extreme.)

I kinda wanted to continue reading it but I got sick of puppy. I still liked the griffon that was like a big sister when I quit but it was so long ago I have no memory as to why. Maybe if I reread I would like it but the only things I can remember about it are puppy was cute and I liked the griffon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:22 am

I liked Pink Eye, and I guess I still do. Oh it's silly as all hell and it get's weird when it goes into the bit about the Nightmare or whatever, but I liked it. Probably helps it was the second FoE fic I read after the first one and the lighthearted nature of what is a really dark story was probably welcome after the original story which did kinda drain me emotionally.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:23 am

Moodyman90 wrote:I liked Pink Eye, and I guess I still do.
It might be the whisky, but this made me laugh
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:24 am

CamoBadger wrote:

Medical jokes from the drunk dotor? Yes. This is going to be a good night.  Spike 

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:32 am

Last wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:

Medical jokes from the drunk dotor? Yes. This is going to be a good night.  Spike 
sadly, no. That was my only one, for I must go to bed becase class in the morening.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:32 am

Trying to explain to people why they like Pink Eyes is like someone trying to explain why they like Project Horizons; some people just don't get it.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:38 am

swicked wrote:
cb5 wrote:Trying to explain to people why they like Pink Eyes is like someone trying to explain why they like Project Horizons; some people just don't get it.
I'll never really understand that.
I always know why I like or dislike something. I mean, I may occasionally forget the reasons after enough time has passed, but I always know why when I decide one way or the other.
Some people just like things cause they like them; some people just dislike things cause they dislike them. What? Were you expecting a deep philosophical discussion or something?
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:02 am

swicked wrote:
cb5 wrote:
swicked wrote:
cb5 wrote:Trying to explain to people why they like Pink Eyes is like someone trying to explain why they like Project Horizons; some people just don't get it.
I'll never really understand that.
I always know why I like or dislike something. I mean, I may occasionally forget the reasons after enough time has passed, but I always know why when I decide one way or the other.
Some people just like things cause they like them; some people just dislike things cause they dislike them.  What?  Were you expecting a deep philosophical discussion or something?
o_O
When you think about it trying to make sense of something that doesn't have any logic to it is futile.

Sometimes people just go-

when they dislike something.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 2 Empty The keys are rocks it is time for bed

Post by Meleagridis Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:09 am

swicked wrote:
I was wondering, though, if anyone here doesn't like it, honestly. I want to see if I'm the only one.
Grating. Couldn't finish. Memes memes memes. Still gonna try, it and the other Big Side Fics. Need to get the references. At least it's short. Heroes... maybe not. But another try couldn't hurt. Murky? Scared for my clock. Only so much time in one life. Probably worth it.

swicked wrote:By the way, you all, I went and saw Frozen.
It's pretty good. The story's pretty disjointed, in my opinion, but... I don't know. It made me happy.
Especially since they subvert a major Disney trope near the end.

Want to see that, I do, but I think about the replacement of every female character with a dashing dude and Jar-Jar Binks the snowman and I just get this sneer. I try not to let petty things like values get in the way of my entertainment, but this is head tiltingly bad. Even for Disney.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 am

So apparently people singing in Klingon exists
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 am

Meleagridis wrote:replacement of every female character
my reaction to this link:
Can't people on the internet just for once just enjoy a good movie?
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:29 am

*flies in from out of nowhere*
Are we performing metacriticism? Because I'm interested in that. =P I would just like to say that I have yet to read a piece of "serious" criticism on tumblr that wasn't asinine, filled with problematic logic, self-righteously ignorant, and generally holding something to an infinitely higher standard than the poster held themselves to. Whether or not these things are problems is, I suppose, up for debate. Once you get on the metacriticism rollercoaster, the ride never ends. And it's less spooky scary skeletons and more name-calling.

@Pink Eyes
I haven't finished it, and maybe never will, but it was... fun, in its way. Most of the characters and places and conflicts were kind of forgettable, the comedy wasn't all that funny most of the time, the shtick belonged in a shorter piece and overstayed what welcome it had, and it really needed editing (all IMO). That said, I can see why a lot of people liked it. It had a pretty warm and fuzzy center to it, a sort of tragic element that worked best because it wasn't directly addressed much, and, well, some people like memes and suchlike. It's not a story I'd have written, and it's not really my cup of caffeinated beverage, but I can see a lot of stuff in it that would be appealing to folks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:25 am

I didn't like Pink Eyes one bit. The narrator was awful in my mind and that meant I couldn't get through it. I only got up to the bit where she was talking about 'horse-tiles' and greeting this ghoul or something. Maybe a small bit after that.

As for your comment Swicked. They can make very good points, but more and more as time has gone on, they don't.
The points have been made. There's nothing new because everything Somber does follows the same old routine of what they don't like on it.
Also, you whine about how they treat Somber? He is as much the problem. Of course there's that one or two idiots who go HUUR DUUR LETS H8 HIM HUUUR DUUUR - but Somber doesn't have a golden track record for rising above replying to those trolls.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:08 am

Ironmonger wrote:@Stringtheory

I don't have any reason to mind. My dad had to have a surgery to reposition his stomach because it was strung up through his diaphragm and putting pressure on his heart, which also cut off blood flow to the stomach. After that, he had a heart attack which severely weakened every part of him. Then, they found some kind of odd mass on his bladder which could be cancer, and now there's something ambiguous on his brain scan. We expect to lose him before long, but he's just taking it in stride, so I am too.
(Also referring to your previous post)

That is just terrible to hear . I can't imagine going through that, despite what you say it's a really bad idea to keep this stuff bottled up and you really should talk to someone. We are always here by the by if you ever want to drop by just to talk about it. Just make sure it's someone, you gotta let that stuff out.
tylertoon2
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:37 pm

tylertoon2 wrote:

I don't have any reason to mind. My dad had to have a surgery to reposition his stomach because it was strung up through his diaphragm and putting pressure on his heart, which also cut off blood flow to the stomach. After that, he had a heart attack which severely weakened every part of him. Then, they found some kind of odd mass on his bladder which could be cancer, and now there's something ambiguous on his brain scan. We expect to lose him before long, but he's just taking it in stride, so I am too.
(Also referring to your previous post)

That is just terrible to hear . I can't imagine going through that, despite what you say it's a really bad idea to keep this stuff bottled up and you really should talk to someone. We are always here by the by if you ever want to drop by just to talk about it. Just make sure it's someone, you gotta let that stuff out.

Knowing that my friends care means a lot to me. Thanks.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Ah yes. In that case, you would be right. They love both as if their lives depended on it and any ill feelings towards either is quickly met with calling the poster in question any variety of names while telling them their tastes are shit.
When All That Remains is in question, many will bring up the rape backstory and then never go any further, ever... as if they never let Murky Number Seven off the hook when that originally had off-screen rape of the protagonist.
I won't lie, as time goes on I've grown sick of the place, but I'm still drawn there because of habit mostly.

They have their moments of clarity, but mostly its shit.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:00 pm

swicked wrote:Out of curiosity, who here liked Fallout Equestria: Pink Eyes?
I'm ambivalent towards it. While it had a wonderfully original and adorable main character, there wasn't that much else that I really enjoyed from it. To be honest, I'm not really sure why folks always elevate to one of the three "main" FoE fics (PE, PH, and the Original), since MN7 and Heroes are better.

swicked wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:
swicked wrote:
Scienza wrote:
Moodyman90 wrote:
@OAC and everybody else I guess:
No, Supes can't hit the speed of light. At least not without spending a few minutes in the center of the Sun. The Flash is always faster. Especially Berry "Ran so fast I tapped into the Speed Force and outran Death" Allen.
But why would he want to outrun Death? She's so adorable.
You're thinking of Marvel.:
Skeleton...
With a rack...

what the fuck marvel
They redesigned her for the deadpool game so that she now just looks like a witchdoctor with a huge rack.
http://marvel.wikia.com/Death_(Earth-TRN284)/Gallery?file=Death_%2528Earth-TRN284%2529.jpg
Still not Sandman Death cute...

Spoiler:
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:15 pm

re Pink Eyes:
Eh, I think I mentioned this before, but I never never finished it.  There were some clever bits, I seem to recall, but, while I don't hate it or anything, I don't particularly like it, either.

Last wrote:Well, I did read it at one point. Then cute thing wandering around the horrible wasteland novelty got old for me (You could say that FO:E and all the side stories are guilty of that. They all have little magical horses and you wouldn't be wrong. But this story I felt took it to the extreme.)

I kinda wanted to continue reading it but I got sick of puppy. I still liked the griffon that was like a big sister when I quit but it was so long ago I have no memory as to why. Maybe if I reread I would like it but the only things I can remember about it are puppy was cute and I liked the griffon.
Aye, based on my recollections, that was a big reason why I stopped, worldbuilding issues being another.

Meleagridis wrote:Grating. Couldn't finish. Memes memes memes.
Hm, that I don't remember, but it could have been another reason.

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:I haven't finished it, and maybe never will, but it was... fun, in its way. Most of the characters and places and conflicts were kind of forgettable, the comedy wasn't all that funny most of the time, the shtick belonged in a shorter piece and overstayed what welcome it had, and it really needed editing (all IMO).
And this.  I've probably talked about Pink Eyes enough now, especially since so many quotes were involved.

Meleagridis wrote:Murky? Scared for my clock. Only so much time in one life. Probably worth it.
I'd say it is.  There's one chapter that I ended up skimming, but that's notable precisely because it's such an outlier (and, honestly, most people probably wouldn't have a problem with it).  There's also a bit in the latest chapter where Fuzzy cut some corners on the out-of-universe design of a particular machine… but, again, that probably bothers only a very small segment of the readerbase (well, um, probably just me, actually).  On the whole, the story is quite good.
MN7 is also currently broad-strokes part of my headcanon, so knowing it could be useful for our collaborations (which reminds me: I've not seen you in the headcanon thread in a while).

Scienza wrote:I'm ambivalent towards it. While it had a wonderfully original and adorable main character, there wasn't that much else that I really enjoyed from it. To be honest, I'm not really sure why folks always elevate to one of the three "main" FoE fics (PE, PH, and the Original), since MN7 and Heroes are better.
Aye, my big three are PH, FoE, and MN7; extending it to a big four adds ATR.

Last edited by O. Hinds on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Shit, man, I can't even imagine what you're going through.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Good luck, Ironmonger.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:23 pm

Scienza wrote:

It's more of a mental battle than anything. I know what's going to happen, but I don't want it to happen. The most difficult part is going to be getting used to the fact that he will no longer be present.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:40 pm

@Death
God, I love the Sandman series. It's not perfect, but what I remember of it still holds up remarkably well; as much as I love American Gods, it's damn hard to argue that Gaiman's best work is anything but that series. I'm still kinda peeved that it has to exist in the same universe as Superman because of DC's crazy policies. It and Hellraiser should be allowed to exist in their own completely and irrevocably separate universe.

Unrelated note, just read the first two pages of Finnegans Wake. To attempt to describe it in two words: Finnegucking sinane. And I thought Vance loved neologisms... It's fun for your brain, though, and some of the little quips he comes up with are brilliant. And another unrelated note, I... might be going on a date on Wednesday. So that's weird.

@Iron
I dunno what to say, man, no more than what's already been said. I can only imagine what that must be like, and know that the odds are good most of us will one day not have to imagine it, which is scary. You've got my sympathies, and everyone's ear when you need it.

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Ironmonger wrote:
Scienza wrote:

It's more of a mental battle than anything. I know what's going to happen, but I don't want it to happen. The most difficult part is going to be getting used to the fact that he will no longer be present.
Relevant:

"Life's a Piece of Shit, When You Look at It."

I know how you feel.  My grandma at any moment could drop dead cause she's doing bad as well and has less than five years left.  It could be today or five years from now or she could die on the toilets.  I just hope she doesn't drop dead in front of my little cousin, cause that would suck.

Here's hoping that your dad does NOT brain cancer though, cause brain cancer fucking sucks.  If it is brain cancer don't even bother trying to stop him from taking antipain medication, cause brain cancer is fucking brutal.
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:01 pm

You know, this is partly why I love Cloudsville so much. Regardless of what happens, nearly everyone is treated like a family member or a friend. I don't find that in many places.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by cb5 Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Ironmonger wrote:You know, this is partly why I love Cloudsville so much. Regardless of what happens, nearly everyone is treated like a family member or a friend. I don't find that in many places.
If everyone is like a family member does that make all the sexual flirting incest?
Derpy Hooves 
cb5
cb5
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Only if Cloudsville is in Alabama.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:36 pm

cb5 wrote:
Ironmonger wrote:You know, this is partly why I love Cloudsville so much. Regardless of what happens, nearly everyone is treated like a family member or a friend. I don't find that in many places.
If everyone is like a family member does that make all the sexual flirting incest?
Derpy Hooves 

Nope. Wincest.
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 2 Mlfw242_small

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next