Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+18
iLateralGX
cb5
O. Hinds
Katarn
tylertoon2
Derpmind
Meleagridis
StoneSlinger88
Admiral Stoic Rum
RoboRed
Moodyman90
Kattlarv
Frost
Valikdu
Kippershy
CamoBadger
Harmony Ltd.
Ironmonger
22 posters

Page 30 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 30 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ironmonger Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm finding that Robynne Draws blog laughable, and I'm not entirely sure why. I've got mixed and conflicting feelings on this and many subjects.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 30 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Valikdu Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:56 pm

Derpmind wrote:
*picture*

Source

And the flame wars continue.
And this picture caused a ton of "HOW DARE YOU YOU PIECE OF SCUM" reactions. No, really. People flipped tables over this little jab.

That's... well, I don't know how to categorize that fact. I've already used "pants-on-head retarded".
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Most potential rapists are messed up in the head, playing out fantasies in which the person they want to have sex with is somehow okay with it, or don't really mean "no", etc. They don't see themselves as raping.
Actually, the informations I have point to the contrary : Rapists know full well the person doesn't consent, and relish in the fact that they are imposing their will on someone.

It's not about sexual satisfaction. It's about imposing your will on someone in one of the most horrible fashion, and getting away with it.

Basically, the deep end of bullying.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:It's not really a question of if they offend me or not. It's more that such jokes (rape jokes, sexist jokes, etc...), even if they are made in good fun and without ill intentions, participate to a culture that validate those things.

See, rapist men (I don't know about rapist women) think that all men are inherently rapists, and that they (the other men) only posture as "good people" for the sake of social standing. When you do rape jokes, you validate them in their thoughts, support their worldview, and indirectly encourage them to be rapists.

I know it's really not a fun thing to think about, and I know saying such a thing makes me sound as a "no-fun-allowed" kind of guy, but really, I think rape jokes should be avoided.

With a bit of imagination, it's easy to find other things to joke about.
....Eh, sorry, but I'm inclined to disagree.

People sling around jokes about violence and murder all the time. It's far, far less controversial to make a joke about maiming or killing someone than it is to make a joke about raping someone. Looking at most media, you'd think murder was just a fact of life but rape involves first selling your soul to Satan. No one ever argues that murderers are encouraged or validated by murder jokes.

Plus....the folks we're talking about are rapists. I don't think everyone standing in a circle, holding hands and singing songs about how rape is bad is going to prevent them from rapin' away at folks, and they're going to keep on rapin' whether or not they're 'validated' or 'encouraged' by a joke they heard online. By definition, they don't care that they're thought of as monsters, or no matter how many 'movements' that Internet Badasses try to put together.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:08 pm

I think only persons with lack of humour could be offended by Ask Molestia tumblr <.<
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Your allegation makes roughly as much sense to me as a murderer seeing the popularity and theme of most of the video game industry and deciding that killing someone can't really be that bad.
And the thing here, is that these people actually believe that EVERYONE else is like them, that they would rape if they could get away with it ; and these jokes validate this line of thought in them.

It's not that they decide it "can't be that bad", but that they think they can get away with it.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Erf, I'd have to trawl the web for that.

Here's what a quick google search gives :

++http://www.salon.com/2012/07/27/inside_the_mind_of_a_serial_rapist/
++http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgi-bin/MMOnline.dll/portal/ep/theWeekContent.do?programId=1073755753&contentId=13134058&tabId=13
++http://www.coloradotech.edu/Student-Life/CTU-Blog/January-2013/Understanding-Rapists
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:33 pm

swicked wrote:Edit:
Also, people almost never commit crimes unless they're pretty sure they can get away with it, so that's not unique to rapists.
How do you reconcile that with the fact a non negligible number of murderers turn themselves in to the police, at least in the case of "spontaneous" murders (non-premeditated) ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:It's not really a question of if they offend me or not. It's more that such jokes (rape jokes, sexist jokes, etc...), even if they are made in good fun and without ill intentions, participate to a culture that validate those things.

See, rapist men (I don't know about rapist women) think that all men are inherently rapists, and that they (the other men) only posture as "good people" for the sake of social standing. When you do rape jokes, you validate them in their thoughts, support their worldview, and indirectly encourage them to be rapists.

I know it's really not a fun thing to think about, and I know saying such a thing makes me sound as a "no-fun-allowed" kind of guy, but really, I think rape jokes should be avoided.

With a bit of imagination, it's easy to find other things to joke about.
....Eh, sorry, but I'm inclined to disagree.

People sling around jokes about violence and murder all the time. It's far, far less controversial to make a joke about maiming or killing someone than it is to make a joke about raping someone. Looking at most media, you'd think murder was just a fact of life but rape involves first selling your soul to Satan. No one ever argues that murderers are encouraged or validated by murder jokes.

Plus....the folks we're talking about are rapists. I don't think everyone standing in a circle, holding hands and singing songs about how rape is bad is going to prevent them from rapin' away at folks, and they're going to keep on rapin' whether or not they're 'validated' or 'encouraged' by a joke they heard online. By definition, they don't care that they're thought of as monsters, or no matter how many 'movements' that Internet Badasses try to put together.
Re-posting this, as I think it got missed
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:41 pm

No, I did not miss it.

But heh, if you decide to see me as the "Thought Police", then so be it.

I'm not going to go on a crusade, I'm not going to hit you over the head.

But I'll still stand by this position, and avoid joking on certain subjects when I think it shouldn't be joked upon. And when I'll hear a joke like that, I'll just say one thing : "dude, not funny". No more, no less.

Simple as that.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:No, I did not miss it.

But heh, if you decide to see me as the "Thought Police", then so be it.

I'm not going to go on a crusade, I'm not going to hit you over the head.

But I'll still stand by this position, and avoid joking on certain subjects when I think it shouldn't be joked upon. And when I'll hear a joke like that, I'll just say one thing : "dude, not funny". No more, no less.

Simple as that.
I'm not trying to accuse you of being "Thought Police" or anything similar. I'm simply stating that the 'serial rapists' that you've been mentioning aren't going to care one little bit about how grumpy people get with them, or how many jokes people tell. They're the sort of people that like seeing someone beneath them screaming and crying in pain and humiliation; they'll be fucked up no matter how many picket signs we make.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Of course.

But the idea, basically, is to change the way we think, as a society, in such a way that people never begin to think that way.

So, really, "Though Police".

Of course, it's not going to be as simple as "not telling rape jokes". It will require far more efforts, in a much broader scopes, and will intersect with a lot of other issues such as sexism, classism, racism, etc...

However, I think we can agree it's for a good cause ?

And, heh, it's an easy start, no ? To avoid telling some jokes, even if we may find them funny ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Of course.

But the idea, basically, is to change the way we think, as a society, in such a way that people never begin to think that way.

So, really, "Though Police".
Eh, this may make me sound like some sort of paranoid type living in a bunker in the woods, but I'm really not a fan of concerted efforts to eliminate entire concepts from human thought, no matter how good the cause is when it starts.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Well, for example Russian internet is censored by government 'for good cause', protecting (and by protecting i mean delete entirely from net, if possible, block what not possible to delete, even in-game drugs aka stimulators are banned (google eve online drugs banned) kids from information (read 'propaganda') of suicide, drugs, homosexualism.

It's all under banner of 'good cause' and forced on everyone.

Maybe we should just drop this topic?

have some trixie:

Last edited by Katarn on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:00 pm

@ Frost : Understandable.

But not acceptable. Twilight crazy 

(joking)
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Here's my latest.
Have to colour it yet, gonna make it really do Eos justice if I can get the hang of colouring these things properly.
What ya'll think?

I'm thinking of leaving a colourless version for if anyone else wants to use it to colour it to a different alicorn type.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 30 MQqRGt1
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:@ Frost : Understandable.

But not acceptable. Twilight crazy 

(joking)

"2+2=5"

"They've gotten to him!"

"Nah, he's just a fucking idiot."
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:14 pm

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:17 pm

Just to close the subject, I'll quote a conversation from elsewhere :

person 1 wrote:I've never bothered to check it out for myself, because ditching rape jokes isn't a particularly onerous burden, so: is there actual psychological research backing up the 'rape jokes encourage rapists' idea?
me wrote:I don't know.
person 2 wrote:I think it's about the whole rape culture thing and how going "ha ha rape lol" is a bad thing and normalizes it plus the effects it would have on actual rape victims seeing something like this made light of and people thinking something so traumatic is just a joke.

I'm sure [person 3] can explain it far better than I can, though.
person 3 wrote:it's got two parts to it. one part is that a lot of people that have been raped are pretty offended by rape jokes, so you shouldn't say them, in general, because you're being an asshole to no gain. the other part is that it, plus the attitude that rape is committed by some nebulous entity called "rapists", who are distinguishable figures from humanity as a whole, help perpetrate the culture of silence that surrounds sexual assaults, especially those by family and friends. if rape is a joke, then why should people feel bad about it, after all, etc. i don't think that there's a definable daisy-chain of causality between some grotesque tumblr and sexual assaults, but i do think that such tumblrs maintain a culture in which sexual assaults are treated poorly.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:19 pm

CamoBadger wrote:EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:20 pm

I think Camo either refer to Kip's vector or...something else.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 30 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30