Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox One, Halo, and other things Microsoft has announced.

+12
Ametros
Formis_Fluttergod
Harmony Ltd.
IncoherentOrange
Ketchup
Kippershy
XT Vengeance
Orm
StoneSlinger88
Frost
RoboRed
CamoBadger
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Xbox One, Halo, and other things Microsoft has announced. Empty Xbox One, Halo, and other things Microsoft has announced.

Post by CamoBadger Tue May 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Everyone, the new Xbox is being announced now, you can see the announcement live right now here

Those who aren't already watching have missed a few things, such as:
- New Console
- Interactive TV (apparently you can be in an xbox live party and watch TV together)
- Halo is being made into a live action TV show by 343 and Steven Spielberg.

DISCUSS, GO
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Xbox One, Halo, and other things Microsoft has announced. Empty Re: Xbox One, Halo, and other things Microsoft has announced.

Post by RoboRed Tue May 21, 2013 1:53 pm

FORZA.

FORZA FORZA FORZA FORZA.

Fooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Five.

Last edited by RoboRed on Tue May 21, 2013 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Xbox One, Halo, and other things Microsoft has announced. Empty Re: Xbox One, Halo, and other things Microsoft has announced.

Post by CamoBadger Tue May 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Hm. The new CoD doesn't look terrible. I'll at least give the single player a try I think (even though I know they're going to have that dog die at some point and I'll break down like a baby).

Other than that, they didn't really show much. At least E3 will be pumped full of new things, and I do have to wonder what the other 7 xbox-only games will be. They said they have 15 and that 8 are brand new franchises, so that means the other 7 are older franchises...

Are there even that many xbox-only franchises around?
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue May 21, 2013 2:10 pm

World at War was the last CoD game worth playing
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue May 21, 2013 2:13 pm

Also, does the 'new' controller look almost exactly like the original xbox controller to anyone else? It might be a little thinner, but to me it looks like they reverted to the superior controller.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Tue May 21, 2013 2:24 pm

The black and white buttons may have been a little annoying, but the placement of the bumper buttons on the 360 controller felt really weird trying to use them at the same time as the triggers.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Orm Tue May 21, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm happy the confirmed that it's not always online.
That'l shut up the people bitching about it.

Aside from that, I thought it was... okay.
I wished they didn't focus on the TV parts so much, but this was meant to show the system not the games.
So I'm interested as to what will be shown at E3.

Now I just hope I don't have to get/use a kinect with it.
Orm
Orm
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name: Searchlight
Species: Ghoul Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 pm

It comes with a kinect, so the "get" bit isn't much of an issue.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue May 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Orm wrote:I'm happy the confirmed that it's not always online.
That'l shut up the people bitching about it.

Aside from that, I thought it was... okay.
I wished they didn't focus on the TV parts so much, but this was meant to show the system not the games.
So I'm interested as to what will be shown at E3.

Now I just hope I don't have to get/use a kinect with it.
It looks like the console comes with it, but if I had to guess they'll probably offer a version that comes with a a kinect, and then one that doesn't come with it for those of us who don't want one.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by XT Vengeance Tue May 21, 2013 2:32 pm

Shit. I missed it already? Goddamn work.
XT Vengeance
XT Vengeance
High Inquisitor of Jackassery

Brohoof! : 40

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Orm Tue May 21, 2013 2:35 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
It looks like the console comes with it, but if I had to guess they'll probably offer a version that comes with a a kinect, and then one that doesn't come with it for those of us who don't want one.
That's what I mean.
I don't want to pay an extra 100$ for something I'm never going to use.

Oh yeah, I was happy to hear about the blu-ray too.

XT Vengeance wrote:
Shit. I missed it already? Goddamn work.
You didn't miss anything.
They just showed some of the new things the system has.
Orm
Orm
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by XT Vengeance Tue May 21, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm watching a video of it on IGN. ALL HAIL THE DORITOS POPE! MAY HIS HOLY FOUNTAIN OF MOUNTAIN DEW FLOW FREELY FOR ALL!
Xbox One, Halo, and other things Microsoft has announced. PopeKeighley
XT Vengeance
XT Vengeance

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue May 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Damn you, now I want doritos...

Also, I'm happy about the blu-ray as well, but I'll probably keep my other player for movies.

Because I don't want to be in the middle of a movie and suddenly a loud *beedoop* goes off and the corner of my screen gets invaded by a giant "Buttfart McGee is Online and Wants Friends to Play Shamtopia 6: Legends of the Shamfort"
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by XT Vengeance Tue May 21, 2013 2:43 pm

CamoBadger wrote:Damn you, now I want doritos...

Also, I'm happy about the blu-ray as well, but I'll probably keep my other player for movies.

Because I don't want to be in the middle of a movie and suddenly a loud *beedoop* goes off and the corner of my screen gets invaded by a giant "Buttfart McGee is Online and Wants Friends to Play Shamtopia 6: Legends of the Shamfort"
That's what the away setting is for...only achievements pop when you are away.
XT Vengeance
XT Vengeance

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Orm Tue May 21, 2013 2:44 pm

You can turn off notification on 360.
So It's most likely going to have that option too.
Orm
Orm
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue May 21, 2013 2:45 pm

XT Vengeance wrote:

That's what the away setting is for...only achievements pop when you are away.
I don't know how to activate away mode or whatever it's called. I just watch movies on a separate player.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by XT Vengeance Tue May 21, 2013 2:46 pm

You hit the guide then move over to preferences in the settings bar. There should be an option to appear offline, away, busy, or online.
XT Vengeance
XT Vengeance

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Orm Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Xbox One, Halo, and other things Microsoft has announced. Xboxspecs
Orm
Orm
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by XT Vengeance Tue May 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Orm wrote:
Spoiler:
Everything about this looks great to me. Plus, the new controller looks sexy.
XT Vengeance
XT Vengeance

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Tue May 21, 2013 3:30 pm

I'm damn proud of Microsoft.

Utilising DDR3 instead of GDDR5 is a great thing. DDR3 has a lower frequency than GDDR5 but the way it computes things is a whole lot more efficient. The OS will no doubt take 1.5-2.5Gb of that memory but that would still leave 5.5Gb (or perhaps more) of free memory to play around with compared to the current 512mb of DDR memory.

The fact they're using octo-core (something I already knew) means that with the fact they're running three OS' at once, they'll also be fully utilising multithreading and thus that will encourage software developers (including game developers) to follow suit to get the true power out of the console.

What does this mean for me on the PC? That I'm going to want to hit up to 24Gb of RAM to make sure I have enough to record and flawlessly play while also doing all the other things I do at the same time.
Likewise, my choice to move onto Steamroller once that's released looks like it'll do good, though I hadn't expected anything else anyway.

I'm really hoping this marks a new golden age for all these things because all that extra power can really make a big difference and mean that this generation of console can last a lot, lot longer than the current one has.
Less than a gig of RAM total has been holding back the industry by quite a lot, but I really can't envision developers going for something that takes more than what they're putting into these new consoles for quite some time because to do so would take so much time, effort, money and hard drive space (or solid state drive space, in my case) that it wouldn't be worth the effort:reward ratio do to so .

Really, this is proving itself to be a great thing and I really hope it lives up to my expectations, even if I have no plans to buy one myself it only spells the best for me as a PC user.

Oh, and then there's the move onto the x86 architecture.
THAT is going to be a massive boost. The Playstation 3 Cell processor and Xbox360 PowerPC processors were simply awful to design for and really held back developers who decided to go for any of the consoles as a choice.
Now porting a game over to the PC from console or from PC to console won't be anything more than simply running it through the associated compiler and letting that do the work to optimise the code for the specific OS.

(Where-as right now, you have to write separate code for every console and PC)
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Tue May 21, 2013 3:32 pm

And if anyone wants me to explain anything I've just said, feel free to ask.
Being the resident /g/entleman I will be more than happy to explain anything and everything I've just gone on about, because I'm no /v/irgin.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Tue May 21, 2013 3:41 pm

There's a reason I built my computer with room to upgrade. I love already matching the new console specs.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by XT Vengeance Tue May 21, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't have an 8 core processor, but my quad works fine.
XT Vengeance
XT Vengeance

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by XT Vengeance Tue May 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Rooster Teeth just announced from a Xbox press official in the UK that Kinect will have to be connected to the Xbox One at all times.
XT Vengeance
XT Vengeance

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Tue May 21, 2013 3:47 pm

If the demonstration is to be believed, it's much quicker than the 360's painful sluggishness(I've got a rather old one, I don't know if any improvements were done with slim models or with hard drive speed) and it's UI is similar to Windows 8, which would work well with a game system, it's alright with the 360.
Multiple architecture is neat, not something that's particularly common. Hopefully it'll get used, unlike many of the powerful features of, say, the Gamecube.

Voice control is neat, probably won't use it much, though. Kinect isn't something I care about.

The specifications look robust enough to last for a while, as the 360 somehow managed to achieve. It's more powerful than my machine, for sure.

I don't watch much television, but it's functionality is quite neat.

Glad(very excited) to hear that they're doing a series for the Halo universe. And Spielberg, too.

And that new Call of Duty? Looks like something new, finally. Also, dog.

@Kipper
That's pretty simple stuff, actually.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Tue May 21, 2013 3:56 pm

That dog's either gonna die, or be the last thing your character sees as he dies. Either way I'm gonna be like Camo and tear up.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Tue May 21, 2013 4:00 pm

StoneSlinger88 wrote:That dog's either gonna die, or be the last thing your character sees as he dies. Either way I'm gonna be like Camo and tear up.
It's strange how we empathize with animals more than people in fiction, when the opposite is often true in real life.

But yeah, me too.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by XT Vengeance Tue May 21, 2013 4:00 pm

I don't know if it'll effect me as much as
Gears of War 3:
but it might.
XT Vengeance
XT Vengeance

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Tue May 21, 2013 4:04 pm

I never liked
Spoiler:
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Tue May 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Ketchup wrote:
StoneSlinger88 wrote:That dog's either gonna die, or be the last thing your character sees as he dies. Either way I'm gonna be like Camo and tear up.
It's strange how we empathize with animals more than people in fiction, when the opposite is often true in real life.

But yeah, me too.
Eh, somewhat true for me, but even in real life I've got a bit more empathy for dogs when they die. Even more so for service dogs; seeing them die is fuckin' awful, and I can't even imagine how the handler must feel.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next