Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

+9
Stringtheory
StoneSlinger88
Ironmonger
Ketchup
O. Hinds
Meleagridis
Kippershy
CamoBadger
Harmony Ltd.
13 posters

Page 2 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next

Go down

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions - Page 2 Empty Re: [Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:25 pm

(continued)

https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/t973p450-official-project-horizons-comment-crew-chat-thread#162858
RoboRed wrote:Related, posted this morning: http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-largest-ships-ever-conceived-476070485

https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/t973p450-official-project-horizons-comment-crew-chat-thread#162870
O. Hinds wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:(The name "Elusive" isn't mine, just to be clear; I found it being used for R63 Rarity somewhere else.)
That was what I was pointing out. Rarity

O. Hinds wrote:...I hadn't thought of it like that, but I suppose that there are similarities, yeah. Interesting.
Oh, random: I think that Elusive City's mass transit system is an urbanaut-style monorail. I also seem to recall that my latest detailed thoughts about this city had it being roughly crescent-shaped. I had a pretty fun time researching floating structures for its non-seaplane/amphibian new airport.
Well, first thing first... Is it a fleet of ships, a single monolithic structure, or a mix between the two ?
A mix. It started out as just ships anchored near each other. Once enough industry was available (factories in Masozi and raw materials from the earliest days of the recolonization), the ships were moved right next to each other and linked close together with flexible connectors (sort of like the Raft from Snow Crash but more high-tech and less run-down). More and more ships have been added over time, and the connections between them have become increasingly complex (including the aforementioned mass transit system). Purpose-built structures have also been added, particularly for handling traffic in and out of the city (the new dry airport is one very large floating platform).

Regarding the pictures you posted, I suppose that parts of the city might look something like that. There's not much housing up on the top decks, though; the city tries to produce as much food as possible on-site.

https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/t973p450-official-project-horizons-comment-crew-chat-thread#162902
O. Hinds wrote:To anyone who's interested, WovenTales's SPP map is finished (version 1.0, at least) and linked in my signature.

Oh, CamoBadger, there's a tower in what might be the are of ATR. You can probably get away with ignoring it and still not eliminate the possibility that it exists in the world of ATR, but I thought that you might want to know.

https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/t973p450-official-project-horizons-comment-crew-chat-thread#162906
CamoBadger wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:To anyone who's interested, WovenTales's SPP map is finished (version 1.0, at least) and linked in my signature.

Oh, CamoBadger, there's a tower in what might be the are of ATR. You can probably get away with ignoring it and still not eliminate the possibility that it exists in the world of ATR, but I thought that you might want to know.
Oh, sweet! It's a little far to be seen in ATR most likely, but it's still good to know!

https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/t973p450-official-project-horizons-comment-crew-chat-thread#162915
O. Hinds wrote:
CamoBadger wrote:

Oh, sweet! It's a little far to be seen in ATR most likely, but it's still good to know!
Ah, nice; from the sound of it, you've found it to be just the right distance away: close enough to be included if you want but far enough to be plausibly left out if you don't.

Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions - Page 2 Empty Re: [Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:29 pm

My work here is done. Please feel free to discuss your own headcanon on Fallout Equestria here.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Ho-lee.

That in any particular order?

I'll be honest, I'm tempted to make a field guide just to keep track of it all.
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:43 pm

It's in chronological order / order of posting.

You can read it sequentially.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Oh, and feel free to do so. It's probably going to keep expanding, so there'll come a point where it'll be NEEDED.

So better to start early.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:15 pm

Yeah, like I said before, I'm not reading all of that. Hell no.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:20 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't even know what else to discuss now. You guys hit almost everything (from my skim anyways), so I wouldn't know where to begin.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Just go with the flow and tell us what goes by your mind.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Man, I don't even know. My brain has been stuck in my story's setting since I started writing, so I've forgotten almost everything about other areas. The only other stuff I can really remember is some things from Murky, PH, and a bit on Broken Bonds/Coltchester.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Well then, tell us about your story's area if you want to.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Oh, and feel free to do so. It's probably going to keep expanding, so there'll come a point where it'll be NEEDED.

So better to start early.

Foooo... um... well.
[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions - Page 2 Blackjack_salute_by_shardii-d58a3h0
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:57 pm

I suppose I can do that. I don't think that talking about geography will spoil anything.

New Oatleans stuff:

Probably very poorly worded and confusing, but I hope it makes some sense...
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Point Lookout ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:04 pm

Applejack

I may have gotten a little bit of inspiration from it.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Spike

No worry, from a distance that looks pretty decent as a setting.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Nothing wrong with using Point Lookout as inspiration.
Someone was actually asking about that in the FOE thread over on /mlp/ (4chan) last thread. (If there was any P.L inspired stories)
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:08 pm

I'm not following the story of it, not even close, but I took some elements from it like the swampfolk.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Inspiration is good. As long as it's not trying to 1:1 scale carbon-copy something. Then it's not even bad, it's just without any interest.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Wow, I hadn't realized that our discussion had gotten that large. Thanks for doing that, Harmony Ltd.!

CamoBadger wrote:I suppose I can do that. I don't think that talking about geography will spoil anything.

New Oatleans stuff:

Probably very poorly worded and confusing, but I hope it makes some sense...
Going by my map, the marshes would need to be more to the SW, since due south is the sea.

Hm... Do you think that I ought to add another transit route line from New Oatleans to the line down to the canal and SHR? That would increase the chances of zebras from the Northern areas traveling to the city, maybe. As for zebras arriving by sea... Most of the settlers probably wouldn't be Northern anyway, and there are plenty of other ports on the Sea of Equestria. But New Oatleans, especially if I add the new transit line, will be the closest major settlement to the PR by land. It's also the closest Equestrian city to the Sea of Equestria outlet of the canal (which it's looking like I might need to think of a name for). Of course, oceangoing ships from most of the PR would probably have an easier time heading up to San Frantello or Manehattan... New Oatleans is still the closest city in the east of Equestria, though...

I need to be getting back to work, unfortunately, but there's another problem for you to ponder while I'm gone:
Kkat wrote:I didn’t need clarification on what The Sealing was. Nopony who lived in a Stable would. But I did wish to know more about the Stable whose floor plan I had in my PipBuck. “Stable Three?”

SteelHooves grunted. “The Let’s-Get-Along Stable,” he snorted derisively. I saw Velvet’s ears perk at that.

“It was clearly an experimental Stable,” SteelHooves rumbled. “Virtually all of the zebra citizens of Equestria were ‘randomly assigned’ to Stable Three. They would have made up half of the Stable’s population.”

Xenith frowned at the unpleasantness of the interruption but nodded at SteelHooves’ assessment. “It was long before even my grandparent’s time, but the stories passed down say that the Overmares told all in the Stable why they had been chosen. And why the Stable had no texts of history or posters of current events.”

Ah. Instead of altering things, Scootaloo and her friends had simply filtered out as much of the Ministry of Image’s influence as possible.

Velvet Remedy questioned, “Overmares? Plural?”

Xenith nodded. “One pony and one zebra.”

My experience with Stables was clawing at the back of my mind. Still, if there were survivors… “What went wrong?”

“Why would you assume something went wrong?” Xenith gave me a questioning look. “Zebras and ponies can live together quite harmoniously if each gives the other the opportunity.”

SteelHooves again provided the answer I was looking for. “Stable Three was built within the limits of the one city in Equestria with more than a hoof-full of zebras,” he informed us. “Canterlot.”
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:53 pm

...fuck *throws away story*
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Heh. Needs I remind you of my own stance on "canon" in a shared universe ?

You know, my official statement about canon, not just in Fallout Equestria but also pretty much any franchise is the following :

I don't give a fuck

I just try to respect what I consider to be the spirit of the thing and its major plot points. As long as it respects the core themes of the work, it's okay in my book.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:03 pm

For example, if I ever get around to writing my own thing, I fully expect it to have holes when to it comes to "complying" with FoE's or PH's canon.

Really, just aim for self-consistency. That's generally enough to make a story good.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:03 pm

You make a good point. Honestly I doubt that every city in Equestria was "HERE IS OUR ONE ZEBRA! STARE AT THEM AND 'OOOO AND AHHHH'".
So whatever, I'll do what I want, YOU HEAR ME KKAT! I. DO. WHAT. I. WANT!

Seriously though, it's only because that makes me go 'wut' all over.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:09 pm

So whatever, I'll do what I want, YOU HEAR ME KKAT! I. DO. WHAT. I. WANT!

Kkat :
Spoiler:

Anyway, I think I'll need to start reading your story to give more comments - if you want them, that is.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:10 pm

What part exactly makes you go "wut" ?
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:12 pm

That apparently only Canterlot has an actual zebra population and every other city in the entire kingdom is apparently like "lol, I've never seen a zebra in my life".
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Yeah. You'd figure that with Zebraland being right next to Equestria there would have been some exchanges.

Though while reading the original FoE I had been left under the impression that the Zebra homeland was some kind of archipelago, or at least a continent away...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:16 pm

CamoBadger wrote:That apparently only Canterlot has an actual zebra population and every other city in the entire kingdom is apparently like "lol, I've never seen a zebra in my life".
I was about to make some point about how zebras couldn't have been even half the population of one major city in Equestria, since then the MoI's propaganda would obviously never work... but then a fragment of my mind gave a polite cough and held up a mental image of a history book... and a newspaper. So... Hooray for abundant real life stupid bigotry for making the stupidity of the bigotry that your story implies quite believable?

Okay, so that just leaves the transportation route thing. I'm thinking that, while New Oatleans is on no really amazing travel routes to and from the PR, it is on several pretty good ones. As a crossroads it gets a slightly higher zebra population, which leads to more zebras settling there because of the preexisting population, which starts a constructive spiral. That sound good?

Also, I don't have time for it now, but I'll dig around my records later and see if I've got some more pre-typed headcanon to toss up.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:21 pm

That sounds like it would work to me.

And yeah, hooray for ridiculous bigotry making a story more realistic! Gotta love how messed up and true it is at the same time...
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 33  Next