Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+45
Stringtheory
Scootayay
Elexius
Paper Airplane
NoodleNugget
Jeremyrush
Rboy474
Ki-Tarn
Aonee
nallar
XT Vengeance
Mech
SubjectSigma
Rafafidi
Valikdu
Snipehamster
Somber
Kattlarv
Spitfire
Game Master
RandomBlank
Ametros
Moodyman90
Katarn
Necr0maNceR
Derpmind
Meleagridis
Scyto Harmony
Rickyking
Apple Crumble
O. Hinds
WavemasterRyx
CamoBadger
Orm
Sindri
RoboRed
Ketchup
Kippershy
Princess Celestia
jacky2734
MrMagma
Curebores
Littlepip
Formis_Fluttergod
SilentCarto
49 posters

Page 33 of 33 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 33 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by NoodleNugget Sun May 13, 2012 11:58 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:
NoodleNugget wrote:
Moodyman90 wrote:Have a FoE related question. What is rad away made of? As much as people like to mention how it's orange I want to say it's like orange juiced that's been magically charged or something.
RadAway is an intravenous chemical solution that bonds with radiation
particles and passes them through your system. It takes time to work,
and is also a potent diuretic. It cannot be used to keep away radiation
when entering radioactive areas like Rad-X, but instead is used after receiving radiation to rid yourself of some of it.

It has several adverse effects, most notably headaches, stomach pains, and hair loss.
That's what it is in the regular Fallout universe, FoE could be different. And in a way it is seeing how it's magical radiation rather then the radiation we know of, or rather what we knew of it back in the 50s. Yeah it works the same as far as the stories go but it's different.

well if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and smells like a duck, obviously it's a scootaloo [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 33 2374633749

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 33 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Moodyman90 Mon May 14, 2012 12:00 am

The main reason for my questioning is that for some reason I have it in my head that the vitamin C in Oranges could be enchanted or changed to rid the body of radiation. Or something to that effect. Main thing is that oranges are an ingredient in Rad-Away in some way and a Stable having a grove of orange trees rather then apples would have an easier time making Rad-Away then others.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Mon May 14, 2012 12:06 am

NoodleNugget wrote:well if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and smells like a duck, obviously it's a scootaloo [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 33 2374633749
But it doesn't look like a duck. Instead of an IV, you drink it through a straw and it tastes like artificial orange flavoring. So it's clearly not the same mechanism, even though the use is similar.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Mon May 14, 2012 12:08 am

well I think I remember reading somewhere that the only reason it is vaguely orange tasting is so that it would be palpable for fillies and colts, which leads to believe it is more chemical than magic. if radiation could be solved with magic then they would just make a MAGIC emblem that would eradicate all traces of radiation with just a touch.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Mon May 14, 2012 12:13 am

NoodleNugget wrote:well I think I remember reading somewhere that the only reason it is vaguely orange tasting is so that it would be palpable for fillies and colts, which leads to believe it is more chemical than magic. if radiation could be solved with magic then they would just make a MAGIC emblem that would eradicate all traces of radiation with just a touch.
Thus why I need to reread FoE and PH again. Tis the little details that become the most important.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ki-Tarn Mon May 14, 2012 12:24 am

No it's not orange juice it's Tang! [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 33 3796487374
Ki-Tarn
Ki-Tarn
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 0

Character List:
Name: Alistair
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon May 14, 2012 12:30 am

Aonee wrote:BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 33 Scienc10
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 14, 2012 12:37 am

NoodleNugget wrote:well I think I remember reading somewhere that the only reason it is vaguely orange tasting is so that it would be palpable for fillies and colts, which leads to believe it is more chemical than magic. if radiation could be solved with magic then they would just make a MAGIC emblem that would eradicate all traces of radiation with just a touch.
If that was how magic worked in the FOE universe, they'd have made a magic emblem that instantly turned all of a certain trace element in the air into zebra-kill. Magic seems to be a force in FOE, not a get-out-of-physics-free card. And radiation can definitely be solved with magic (Elements of Harmony + Gardens of Equestria), it just requires some form of power to operate.

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Mon May 14, 2012 1:02 am

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:
If that was how magic worked in the FOE universe, they'd have made a magic emblem that instantly turned all of a certain trace element in the air into zebra-kill. Magic seems to be a force in FOE, not a get-out-of-physics-free card. And radiation can definitely be solved with magic (Elements of Harmony + Gardens of Equestria), it just requires some form of power to operate.

*cough cough* canterlot *cough cough cough* and then going by those rule if they have the ability to cleanse at minimum an entire country and at most an entire planet with just the warm fuzzies shouldn't they have thought about thinking smaller? they obviously had the 'technology' to handle this situation, shouldn't they have used it to its maximum potential? yes there has to be some structure but with the added element of magic(which is apparently some omni capable substance similar to flux) it's potential is limitless implying that they should be able to make magic emblems that tells radiation to buck off(which strengthens the image of 'magic, i ain't got to explain sh*t'). but if we look at things from an earth pony standpoint, using naturally occurring substances to counteract other naturally occurring substances seems just a wee bit more plausible.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Synthetic Mon May 14, 2012 1:05 am

Well, if I am going to stop lurking, might as well do it on a new forum. Hello everypony!
Synthetic
Synthetic
Blank Flank

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Mon May 14, 2012 1:10 am

Synthetic wrote:Well, if I am going to stop lurking, might as well do it on a new forum. Hello everypony!
'ello and welcome! yeah the fact this place is still new makes it easy to jump in. As you can see it's mostly random disscussion right now seeing how the new chapter is delayed. There's also a bit of an RP going on with most of the regular elsewhere.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 am

Hi there Synthetic, welcome to the forum.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 am

Synthetic wrote:Well, if I am going to stop lurking, might as well do it on a new forum. Hello everypony!
Howdy and welcome feel free to join in on any conversations or you can come to the RP thread if you want.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 14, 2012 1:25 am

NoodleNugget wrote:
*cough cough* canterlot *cough cough cough* and then going by those rule if they have the ability to cleanse at minimum an entire country and at most an entire planet with just the warm fuzzies shouldn't they have thought about thinking smaller? they obviously had the 'technology' to handle this situation, shouldn't they have used it to its maximum potential? yes there has to be some structure but with the added element of magic(which is apparently some omni capable substance similar to flux) it's potential is limitless implying that they should be able to make magic emblems that tells radiation to buck off(which strengthens the image of 'magic, i ain't got to explain sh*t'). but if we look at things from an earth pony standpoint, using naturally occurring substances to counteract other naturally occurring substances seems just a wee bit more plausible.

Pink Cloud is a megaspell alchemical gas (I believe), not a planet-wide (heck, let's just say reality-wide) transmutation. There are things like water talismans, but they require power, same as all magic. And the "just the warm fuzzies" are the single most potent energy source known to ponykind - don't disrespect 'em. Also, I'm pretty sure small-scale radiation-cleansing talismans were unnecessary since the pervasive magical radiation wasn't present until after Equestria ended (most of it was caused by the balefire bombs, I believe, which was definitely magical). The only project focused on cleanup (that I recall or know of) was the Gardens - everything else was for winning the war (and Gardens had to be made in secret, out of fear that it would look highly unpatriotic). Thus: single-serving antiradiation meds for ingestion make sense, while widespread use of antiradiation talismans do not. And the earth pony argument only makes sense if radiation wasn't magical in nature, which I'm pretty sure it is.

Hallo and welcome! Fluttershy

Back to top Go down

Post by NoodleNugget Mon May 14, 2012 1:41 am

well I guess both of our answers are possible until evidence disproves one of us. guess we'll just have to wait until moody or someone else goes and rereads for us.

NoodleNugget
Pegasus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Mon May 14, 2012 1:59 am

O. Hinds wrote:
As for 44... Well, the chapter isn't finished yet and I couldn't say much of anything anything anyway at this point. (Urghh... I really want to start reading feedback and discussion!) It could be worse, though; just today we replaced a scene where [REDACTED] [REDACTED] a [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] [REDACTED] instead of [REDACTED], resulting in the [REDACTED] and [REDACTED], among other things. Of course, exactly how unpleasant that was would depend on your point of view, but there's a reason why Blackjack was horrified.
Just like in news report

It's sad, that chapter will be released in mid-week, but I know for sure, it's ALWAYS worth waiting :D
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 14, 2012 2:18 am

*facehoof* Or I could've looked here in the first place and saved some time and effort for both of us. Fallout: Equestria WIKI - Environmental Hazards Of course, this isn't necessarily accurate - they've got some particulars wrong about Enervation, I believe... Hmm, radiation is definitely present from more than just balefire, too, though that doesn't really mean anything other than that the Wiki should talk about it... RadAway is referred to as a "potion" in FOE... Pip refers to "magical radiation" in the water and is pretty clearly talking about normal radiation... and more frequently refers to radiation as "magical radiation" from then on... Homage describes "magical radiation" as "a side effect of powerful and wicked magics released violently on Equestria" in a news report... Ditzy Doo apparently creates "sonic radiation" when she 'booms, though that might be more creative wording than science...

Well, I can't see how nuclear radiation would be present in the Equestian Wasteland anyway, unless their spells were really inefficient (bleeding enough energy to split a whole ton of atoms of normally non-fissile material... honestly, just not sure how it'd be physically possible by normal standards; but I am also not a nuclear physicist...). Hmm... I wonder if Kkat meant to imply that nuclear radiation was something ponies were aware of...? No, probably not; FOE's magical radiation = Fallout's nuclear radiation; when the ponies refer to "radiation," they mean the magic kind, but are aware that there are other sorts just as we are aware that there are other sorts of radiation than nuclear (anything that is radiated is radiation, after all, if I'm not futzing my physics).

Anyway, kind of getting off on a tangent there... but after a short re-skim of FOE, I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong about radiation being magical in nature. Combined with the description of RadAway as a potion (and other potions are definitely magical - healing, impelled metamorphosis), this leads me to believe that RadAway is also magical. (Plus it glows. =P)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Mon May 14, 2012 2:51 am

Radiation in Fo:E is a form of magic, specifically necromancy, that's produced by certain effects (most notably balefire, also includes the Littlehorn Agent) and is generally inimical to all life. It causes mutations over the long term, kills in the short term, and very occasionally raises the dead under unknown circumstances (after which it has just the opposite effect on them, healing and strengthening them). Other than that, it acts similarly to real world radiation, just explained with "evil magic" rather than "high energy particles."

In D&D terms, it's pretty much negative energy. In metaphorical terms, it's evil and/or death. In magical terms, it's an effect generated by a select grouping of rather distasteful spells.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomBlank Mon May 14, 2012 3:37 am

Note, there is no real-life counterpart to RadAway.

For acute radiation sickness you use potent diuretics, prussian blue to bind caesium-137, but not much beyond that can be done - antibiotics to fight infections developing in dead tissue, blood transfusions (damaged marrow can't produce blood efficiently) and hoping for the best... but while in the games you pop 7 RadAways and you're down from 5sv to 0 in seconds, in real life you make peace and say good-bye to your friends and relatives.
RandomBlank
RandomBlank
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri Mon May 14, 2012 3:51 am

RandomBlank wrote:Note, there is no real-life counterpart to RadAway.
Very true. Outside of games, radiation pretty much just builds up until it kills you or something else does, and soaking any of it permanently reduces your life expectancy and increases cancer risks and such (immediate response to exposure can dramatically reduce how much you soak by removing the contaminating material though). But for gameplay purposes the Fallout games needed a way to reverse the process, and stories in similar settings tend to require the same kind of plot device; otherwise there could never be tension from coming close to death by radiation without it being followed up by an actual inevitable death from radiation a few months later.
Sindri
Sindri
Changeling

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomBlank Mon May 14, 2012 4:37 am

Radiation damages chemical structure of whatever it hits. If it hits DNA, it changes the code and will result in the cell multiplication process to fail - with enough bad luck, to fail through endless, unlimited multiplication, causing cancer. But DNA occupies relatively small volume of a living cell, and acute radiation sickness is the result of direct damage to all kinds of cells and their structures. Kill enough cells and the organism can't sustain itself.

Actually, while survivors of acute radiation disease have increased cancer risk, they are off to possibly long, healthy life - it isn't like they are sentenced to cancer, and recent research shows the long-term radiation effects are far less severe than estimated before, elderly population of Hiroshima isn't nearly as frequently affected by cancer as it was estimated.

Still, strong exposure will create a bunch of necrotic tissue within your body, and this is a ripe ground for infections. These infections are the primary cause of deaths within days or weeks past exposure.

---

as for plot element... it could be made harder, more expensive, less achievable. A hero suffering from irradiation, struggling for rescue or fighting the last days despite death sentence is a pretty strong plot device.
RandomBlank
RandomBlank
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomBlank Mon May 14, 2012 7:27 am

On an unrelated note, theory time:

Changelings: they are parasitic insects that lay eggs inside their victims (ponies), the hatched larvae killing them from inside and taking control. The pony body dies and erodes, thus the holes and gnarled horns. The insects eventually grow wings but never leave the body of the host, controlling the corpse for as long as it lasts.
RandomBlank
RandomBlank
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Mon May 14, 2012 7:59 am

RandomBlank wrote:
Wut?
Well...yeah...it could sound reasonable, if we wouldn't keep in mind, that they come from kid's show.
But why then holes in legs/wings? Especially wings, since, from your theory, they grow after...they..'hatch'. And even if they don't, again, why does their wings have holes? It must make them bad flyers.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiroth Mon May 14, 2012 8:03 am

Well, I was wondering if the new system on EqD would be any good for this. Guess I have my answer now. :P

Anyway. Hi! Did I miss anything important in the last couple of weeks, or was it just the usual insanity?
Tiroth
Tiroth
Blank Flank

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Mon May 14, 2012 8:05 am

Tiroth wrote:Well, I was wondering if the new system on EqD would be any good for this. Guess I have my answer now. :P

Anyway. Hi! Did I miss anything important in the last couple of weeks, or was it just the usual insanity?
Hint. DON'T read last 10-15 pages, also, if you want, we have our RP thread.
Glad to have you here.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiroth Mon May 14, 2012 8:09 am

Was that a hint-hint, or a reverse psychology-hint? Also, oooh, shiny new RP thread! Tempting. :D
Tiroth
Tiroth
Blank Flank

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Mon May 14, 2012 8:12 am

Tiroth wrote:Was that a hint-hint, or a reverse psychology-hint? Also, oooh, shiny new RP thread! Tempting. :D
long story short - Kippershy derailed topic, just like Kim did, only...with other...*ahem* object.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiroth Mon May 14, 2012 8:19 am

De-railing can be fun, but I'd guess from the warning that it was less fun and more oh Celestia gimme that brain bleach NOW!

And if so, that link in your sig is probably appropriate. :P
Tiroth
Tiroth
Blank Flank

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Mon May 14, 2012 8:25 am

Tiroth wrote:De-railing can be fun, but I'd guess from the warning that it was less fun and more oh Celestia gimme that brain bleach NOW!

And if so, that link in your sig is probably appropriate. :P
no, it was hell of a fun, only one who didn't appreciate our 'fun' was jacky. But, meh. If you want - read ~ from page 20.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomBlank Mon May 14, 2012 8:42 am

...as usually confusing thickness with circumference...
Totally Kippershy.

-------

https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/viewtopic.forum?t=531

-------

https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/viewtopic.forum?t=641
RandomBlank
RandomBlank
Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 33 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33