Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+15
tylertoon2
Kippershy
O. Hinds
Moodyman90
Derpmind
Harmony Ltd.
RoboRed
WovenTales
Ketchup
Valikdu
Katarn
StoneSlinger88
Ironmonger
Admiral Stoic Rum
Frost
19 posters

Page 1 of 29 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:22 am

swicked wrote:
Katarn wrote:I'll just leave it here.
...is the power armor making her sad?
She's sad because it doesn't fit, and everyone knows that power armor is OP. =P

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Frost Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:33 am

Although realistically useless in a post-apoc world. Not like your average scavver (or even average BoS chapter) has the time or resources to keep up with the ridiculous maintenance that thing would need
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:37 am

technology based on fifties... have you heard the expression they just don't make 'em like they used to?
Admiral Stoic Rum
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Sex: Male
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:49 am

@Swicked
Thanks :) it's from the Stalkerloo tumblr, one of the more recent posts.

EDIT: I guess if power armor was overpowered that'd actually run the danger of burning it out, right? =P

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:52 am

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. 363232__safe_princess%2Bcelestia_warhammer%2B40k_space%2Bmarine_astartes%2Bpattern%2Bbaldness_blood%2Bravens_indrick%2Bboreale_artist-colon-tomgrakk_bloody%2Bmagpies

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:35 am

Mister Frost wrote:Although realistically useless in a post-apoc world. Not like your average scavver (or even average BoS chapter) has the time or resources to keep up with the ridiculous maintenance that thing would need

The BoS had an entire Order devoted to defensive technology/maintenance/repairs, as well as most everybody knowing how to do at least routine maintenance on the armor and weapons.
StoneSlinger88
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:48 am

That armor, though, would be extremely, extremely maintenance-intensive, and a lot of components would get damaged and worn out, especially considering that a lot of delicate parts seem exposed to elements and abuse on the back. All well and good for a nation with a constant supply of freshly-manufactured parts, not so much for a bunch of glorified scavengers. 
Also, I've finally gotten around to reading the liveblog Kat linked to. He's quite perceptive
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:06 am

I love how we can speculate about game universe and talking about how 'it's not realistically' stuff in it. Don't forget, it's all magic SCIENCE!
Also, in FoE it's pretty much the same thing, only vice versa.
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:16 am

Mister Frost wrote:Also, I've finally gotten around to reading the liveblog Kat linked to. He's quite perceptive

Um. I don't remember Kat linking to a blog; maybe you mean the one I linked?
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 am

Mister Frost wrote:That armor, though, would be extremely, extremely maintenance-intensive, and a lot of components would get damaged and worn out, especially considering that a lot of delicate parts seem exposed to elements and abuse on the back. All well and good for a nation with a constant supply of freshly-manufactured parts, not so much for a bunch of glorified scavengers.
The BoS do dedicate one of their orders to maintenance of weapons and armour, and most chapters have people trained to do that from a young age. They come from a US Army unit equipped with the knowledge of how to properly maintain the armour, and spare parts might not be as rare as it seems. Most Fallout games take place on the West coast, where most of the defensive efforts would have been focused for the mainland United States. With knowledge of where facilities containing armour units are, they would all have been looted if possible by the fledgling Brotherhood. This gives the next best thing to spare parts: spare suits. The BoS featured in Fallout 3 got their outdated T-45d suits from the Pentagon, meaning they presumably also have spare suits for their small number for maintenance.
They scavenge anything that has technological value, which could also include metalworking machinery that could be used to create spare parts if necessary. The fact that they are small overall and that not all of them have power armour might help.
The suits themselves are designed for combat, and were used in-universe to great effect. Without any actual figures related to the maintenance load the incur of the forces using them, though, there's only speculation. The Enclave also possess the ability to manufacture powered armour from various facilities that probably could not before the war, as well.

Regardless, everything Fallout should have a sticker on it saying 'don't look at this closely'. It's a spoof of retro-style technology in general, and the practicality of all Fallout technology pretty much relies on the assumption that everything was made to at least have a chance to withstand an apocalypse. And everything probably was, even.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:28 am

Valikdu wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:Also, I've finally gotten around to reading the liveblog Kat linked to. He's quite perceptive

Um. I don't remember Kat linking to a blog; maybe you mean the one I linked?

Yeah, sorry, I get you guys confused all the time
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:33 am

Ketchup wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:That armor, though, would be extremely, extremely maintenance-intensive, and a lot of components would get damaged and worn out, especially considering that a lot of delicate parts seem exposed to elements and abuse on the back. All well and good for a nation with a constant supply of freshly-manufactured parts, not so much for a bunch of glorified scavengers.
The BoS do dedicate one of their orders to maintenance of weapons and armour, and most chapters have people trained to do that from a young age. They come from a US Army unit equipped with the knowledge of how to properly maintain the armour, and spare parts might not be as rare as it seems. Most Fallout games take place on the West coast, where most of the defensive efforts would have been focused for the mainland United States. With knowledge of where facilities containing armour units are, they would all have been looted if possible by the fledgling Brotherhood. This gives the next best thing to spare parts: spare suits. The BoS featured in Fallout 3 got their outdated T-45d suits from the Pentagon, meaning they presumably also have spare suits for their small number for maintenance.
They scavenge anything that has technological value, which could also include metalworking machinery that could be used to create spare parts if necessary. The fact that they are small overall and that not all of them have power armour might help.
The suits themselves are designed for combat, and were used in-universe to great effect. Without any actual figures related to the maintenance load the incur of the forces using them, though, there's only speculation. The Enclave also possess the ability to manufacture powered armour from various facilities that probably could not before the war, as well.

Regardless, everything Fallout should have a sticker on it saying 'don't look at this closely'. It's a spoof of retro-style technology in general, and the practicality of all Fallout technology pretty much relies on the assumption that everything was made to at least have a chance to withstand an apocalypse. And everything probably was, even.

In all honesty, I prefer Metro's approach: even after a few decades, shit's already falling apart. Pre-War tech is actually a big deal, not just being fucking everywhere like in Fallout. 

If only some shit about an "unsupported graphics card" didn't make the game so jerky, laggy and slow that it was totally fucking unplayable
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 am

You confuse Valikdu for Kat...?
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:46 am

Occasionally, yeah
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:57 am

They have different avatars, names and..well..gender.

I wonder what makes you mistake on for another?
Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:01 am

Kat as in Katarn. You.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:04 am

...ME?! o_O

Well...we have different avatars and I've spent last year or so in our RP den and didn't look at other part of forum...

Katarn
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by WovenTales Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:00 am

swicked wrote:
Valikdu wrote:I've found something really interesting.

This is a liveblog on TVTropes which is basically a Let's Read for the original FoE. The author is a (very) caustic critic, but raises a lot of valid points.
...good. It isn't  that good, particularly on its own.
What it really sells is a world; the rest is average to sub-par.
I definitely agree with that. Kkat (there are a lot of "Kat"s around) did manage to join the worlds of Fallout and MLP much better than anyone imagined was possible, but the story itself isn't as good. Its the recursive fanfiction that really makes Fo:E worth the read; as good as PH, MN7, and All that Remains are, they all need knowledge of the war and the wasteland. PH could probably stand on its own, but a lot of the details of the ministries (and the Stable Dweller jokes) would have to be inferred, and it helps to know Filly and Red Eye's roles in Equestria when following Murky. All that Remains is probably the most easily detachable, but even so, it's written to explore the other side and liking the zebras is much more meaningful when we know the war. "The best thing about Fo:E is that it allows you to read these other, completely amazing stories" isn't much praise (and is perhaps not giving it quite enough credit), but as much as I enjoyed the original (and the second reading I'm giving it), that's pretty much how I feel.

That's part of the reason I don't quite get people complaining about how Somber changes the backstory. It might have been one of the strongest parts of Fo:E, but there's still room for improvement. What PH tells us about the war turns it from a terrible (but somewhat abstract) event to a tragedy. Kkat gave us war; Somber makes us part of it. Ponies aren't trying their best and failing, they're trying their best at something ultimately worthless or unproductive. I remember tearing up a couple times in Fo:E at a character's death (Rarity, Zecora) or at a particularly well-described ruin (Ponyville, I think), to name a few, but I never had the same sense of crushing inevitability that PH gave me a couple times (most notably during the Littlehorn dream). Besides, how is tweaking a few details of the war era so much worse than, for example, saying that Fluttershy was banging Cloud Kicker during flight camp?

Maybe not the best time to say it, but it's late and we're already on the subject of annoying complaints about PH, so what the heck. Why do people insist on saying it's too long, or too slow, or not focused enough on the main storyline? It's not a novel, and I'd be surprised if it was ever intended to be. It's a serial, and you can't try to force it into a novel. Sure you can still make the same complaints, but they don't have the same weight. A serial is supposed to be long, and PH is just able to fill a large number of issues without (I guess arguably) artificially postponing the plot. Likewise, it's not supposed to be telling the story of EC-1101 to Project horizons from Point A to Point D, taking into account a few intermediate stages to slightly hide the linearity, plus three or four sidequests. It's a character piece that explores Blackjack and the wasteland, using EC-1101 to keep from feeling completely directionless but never pulling it before the main focus. If nothing else, it should be compared to something with a similar aim, rather than the standard modern fantasy template.

So that's a unnecessary rant over. Sorry. Shy The fact that I wrote the entire thing probably means I should have been asleep a while ago. Good night/morning/whenever!
WovenTales
WovenTales
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:26 am

WovenTales wrote:That's part of the reason I don't quite get people complaining about how Somber changes the backstory.

It's especially grating since Somber didn't really CHANGE anything that already existed in FoE. He added more layers and clarity.

Somehow, some people manage to go too far in their admiration of FoE. Like, into worship territory. You may check the second liveblog (the one by Seraphem) in my post for a good example; the author also hates PH (although he hadn't given a coherent explanation as to why).

Besides, how is tweaking a few details of the war era so much worse than, for example, saying that Fluttershy was banging Cloud Kicker during flight camp?

Spoiler:
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:37 am

Valikdu wrote:
Besides, how is tweaking a few details of the war era so much worse than, for example, saying that Fluttershy was banging Cloud Kicker during flight camp?

Spoiler:
God, I love the Winningverse...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:39 am

WovenTales wrote:Maybe not the best time to say it, but it's late and we're already on the subject of annoying complaints about PH, so what the heck. Why do people insist on saying it's too long, or too slow, or not focused enough on the main storyline? It's not a novel, and I'd be surprised if it was ever intended to be.

Here's an interesting video.

I'd say that, in this regard, FoE is more like F3 and FoE:PH is more like New Vegas.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:15 am

That video was brilliant, Val.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:49 am

i don't know why I'm laughing so hard at this:
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:53 am

gib money plox

i report u
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:59 am

@FO:E
I've never thought that Fallout Equestria was particularly bad in any one aspect, being good in some of the basics, even, but it definitely excels in world-building, and I love good world-building.
Mister Frost wrote:If only some shit about an "unsupported graphics card" didn't make the game so jerky, laggy and slow that it was totally fucking unplayable
Oh, and yeah, it requires powerful machines to run it, should have mentioned that. Sorry.
Valikdu wrote:

I'd say that, in this regard, FoE is more like F3 and FoE:PH is more like New Vegas.
That raises a good point, and I agree. I still don't like NV as much as 3 for other reasons, though.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Valikdu wrote:
WovenTales' beautifully excellent post wrote:Maybe not the best time to say it, but it's late and we're already on the subject of annoying complaints about PH, so what the heck. Why do people insist on saying it's too long, or too slow, or not focused enough on the main storyline? It's not a novel, and I'd be surprised if it was ever intended to be.

I like the cut of that man's cortex. Thank you, Valikdu, for pointing me to a newly subscribed tube channel.

Maybe this is simplifying it too much, but FoE kinda felt sometimes like the more involved world-building parts were sidequests, and therefore optional. And Rainbow Dash is an entire DLC missing. Fallout: New Hoofington has a main plotline only to tie everything together, because otherwise it would be Blackjack's life (still awesome to read) instead of BJ's quest.

Also, does this conversation feel like we should move it back into the main discussion thread? We're kinda getting serious here.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Eh, it's okay. Not like I really needed that $35 anyway, I guess. 

Anywho, I've completely given up on the Winningverse. It started out with some vaguely funny sex jokes and......not much else in the comedy department.....and quite weak on the actual story aspect....but I stuck around out of the hope it'd get better, and I actually shrugged and decided that maybe this story had some merit to it when some actual drama started popping up. But then it went from tension and teasingly vague backstory to a neverending train of wangst and bullshit dramatic love triangles--

Sidenote:

There's also the subplot of Cloud's tension with her mother and family after her decision to not go through with joining the military, having bolted just before graduation. 

Christ, if I wanted to deal with an overemotional bitch who's stuck in a menial job because they're too much of a pussy to commit to joining the military, I'd go talk to my brother. 

But, regardless, this creates tension with the other members of her Clan, because her family is the remnants of a warrior-clan from back when Pegasopolis was ruled by warrior-clans, according to the first few chapters of the spin-off that I bothered to read. Maybe I'm just letting my opinions color my perception again, but this comes off more to me as a bunch of Old Money fucks missing the time when they were relevant in the world. 

Spoiler to those who've not read it:

We're treated to more emotional bullshit with Cloud's increasingly annoying potential girlfriends, and a small fight scene in which a young woman who's had a few years of martial arts training (and has been out of practice for several years) is able to defeat someone that's sort of a fusion of spy and SF operator. And, as it's later revealed, something of a renegade super soldier. 

And we're treated to a scene of Celestia and Cloud Kicker at the Clan's long-time hero, Shadow Kicker--(that's seriously her fucking name. Seriously)--'s grave, where Cloud goes on a rant and whine about blah blah blah--

This is the point that I unfavorited the story, I followed Channing Qordwrath and went to the bathroom to clear the bile from my throat

Last edited by Mister Frost on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:17 pm

It's a group of stories that feature different characters in the show--some major, some minor--and drain anything enjoyable until nothing's left but sexual tension and high school-esque relationship drama
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Oh, don't worry. You're completely right.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:02 pm

swicked wrote:What is the winningverse, if you don't mind me asking?

Google reveals a fimfic group about a series of stories regarding cloudkicker, but nothing particularly informative regarding what it entails...

Actually, it's really just this one story. There's a bunch of derivative stuff, but most of that's short stories. Not that you're likely to like reading it, Swicked, but not everyone will agree with Frost's assessment if they take a look themselves.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 29 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next