Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Conviction Discussion thread

+6
Valikdu
Y1
OneMoreDaySK
Admiral Stoic Rum
Frost
RoboRed
10 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Conviction Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Conviction Discussion thread

Post by Guest Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 pm

He isn't? Damn, that sucks. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Back to top Go down

Post by OBS.GS.§S Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:19 pm

After just beginning to read this Fic, I can already say that it is a shame that there will be no more chapters coming out. Though I am happy to hear that it will be coming out as a complete Novel, I am slightly saddened to hear it will not feature ponies, though I understand and support the author in pursuing their own original IP, perhaps it will be even better than this version! I wish them the best of luck, I can only imagine how exciting and breathtakingly difficult an endeavor it is to tackle not just writing a Novel, but one where the entire world is of their own creation.

That being said, I would like to share an idea I came up with of how Generosity and Kindness might manifest themselves in this universe.

Though as a disclaimer I have not read even half the Fic yet nor discussed it with anyone, so keep that in mind if the ideas are terrible.

Generosity:

Kindness:
OBS.GS.§S
OBS.GS.§S
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 5

Character List:
Name: Flashpoint
Sex: Female
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomManta Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Just thought I'd give y'all a little bit of a heads up. I was (one of?) Conviction's main editors, and I keep fairly regular contact with y1. A bout a month or so back I convinced him to resurrect this fic, and lo and behold, a new chapter will be coming just as soon as I finish editing it.

Last edited by DoomManta on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total

DoomManta
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:17 pm

DoomManta wrote:Just thought I'd give ya'll a little bit of a heads up. I was (one of?) Conviction's main editors, and I keep fairly regular contact with y1. A bout a month or so back I convinced him to resurrect this fic, and lo and behold, a new chapter will be coming just as soon as I finish editing it.
The actual ponyfic or the original IP? Either one would be awesome. Rainbow
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomManta Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Stringtheory wrote:
DoomManta wrote:Just thought I'd give ya'll a little bit of a heads up. I was (one of?) Conviction's main editors, and I keep fairly regular contact with y1. A bout a month or so back I convinced him to resurrect this fic, and lo and behold, a new chapter will be coming just as soon as I finish editing it.
Actual ponyfic. 

I always was of the opinion that reworking Conviction into an original story wasn't practical due to the background that it builds off. The damn thing already has a 40k word prologue, and that's without having to explain anything about this whole Luna/Celestia war thing.

DoomManta
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:21 pm

DoomManta wrote:
Stringtheory wrote:
Actual ponyfic. 

I always was of the opinion that reworking Conviction into an original story wasn't practical due to the background that it builds off. The damn thing already has a 40k word prologue, and that's without having to explain anything about this whole Luna/Celestia war thing.
Yeah, you'd probably need a prequel novel or two to properly flesh out the background, still would probably be a great read.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Ain't that some shit. I'll be lookin' forward to it.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Cool, I'm looking forward to the new chapter.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomManta Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:29 pm

swicked wrote:
Quick question: How many places have you posted this announcement?
Just curious how many other places are talking about the fic.

Last time I really looked (which admittedly was a while ago), this is the only discussion I found that wasn't in Conviction's comment section. So, nowhere else.

DoomManta
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:16 am

swicked wrote:Hmmm... that's unfortunate. It's a good fic.
Hopefully you and Y1 will be willing to comment on here from time to time. I really don't care much for fimfic's comment system.
I like to do reading reviews sometimes and the lack of ability to collapse long comments into spoiler tags (plus the fact that the page width there's less than half what it is here, at least on my screen) makes the whole thing pretty cumbersome.
Well, it's miles light-years ahead of fanfiction.net in terms of design so I'm hardly complaining.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:24 am

swicked wrote:Well, I don't go there, so I can't say I care.
That's probably for the best.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:43 am

Stringtheory wrote:
swicked wrote:Well, I don't go there, so I can't say I care.
That's probably for the best.

No real rating system. Hard to actually find good writing.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Stringtheory wrote:Well, it's miles light-years ahead of fanfiction.net in terms of design so I'm hardly complaining.

FF vs FiMF:
-

As to Conviction itself...

I like it. The chapters are interesting enough to keep me reading, yet not long enough to make me have to pause halfway through and go do something else.

Rather brutal at points, but I'm rather used to that at this point.

Poor Song/Slight.

Hm...one thing that perked my ears up though was that she has "Light" in her name...

I wonder if she'll eventually warm up to Celestia.

Heh, doubt it, since she's more-or-less vowed to wipe out the Harmony Bearers for slaughtering her family.
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:
Stringtheory wrote:Well, it's miles light-years ahead of fanfiction.net in terms of design so I'm hardly complaining.

FF vs FiMF:
I too started out on fanfiction.net and I don't doubt there probably are good MLP fics on it still. However, my main criticism of it is one of design. Fimfic is a sleek web 2.0 design that gets updates fairly regularly, while fanfiction.net should be brought up on charges of Crimes Against UI Design.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Agreed...

Trivial griping:
-

Really hope Song makes some friends; otherwise she's definitely going to die a gruesome death in rather short order...
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Rare is the tale with the nerve to plunge the depths of true darkness. Most lose their nerve for the sake of keeping characters 'relatable'. To me, a character with strange and vastly different morality and motivations is far more interesting to explore than Average Joe #3617

And I likewise agree with the point of hate vs. love. Yeah, yeah, love is wonderful and puts light in the soul or what-the-fuck-ever, but it's hate that'll drive someone to the ends of the Earth and to the depths of depravity to tear down and destroy in days or hours what took years or decades to build. The notion of a thousand-year-old empire being cracked and damaged, if not outright gutted, because one of one bloody-minded soldier with nothing to lose, is a poetic sort of not-really-irony that I can't resist.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:31 pm

I've yet to see a ponyfic dive straight into True Darkness, a few that I've read had the chance to at a few points but the author always steered away from that path. The main problem I see with True Darkness is audience apathy setting in pretty quickly so you have to have light spot in order to keep the audience invested and that revokes True Darkness status...

Last edited by Stringtheory on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Given the aversion to violence and more 'permanent' solutions to her enemies in the series proper, I expect whatever becomes of Slight and the quest for vengeance to be so brutal and tragic that Celestia loses her stomach for war and violence in its entirety.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:02 pm

It appears we are of an accord, then.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:25 pm

swicked wrote:
Vinylshadow wrote:Really hope Song makes some friends; otherwise she's definitely going to die a gruesome death in rather short order...
I haven't read this in a long while, but I really hope she doesn't make friends at all. At least, not anytime soon.
No one could care as much about her mission as she does and I don't want anyone to temper her. To try and give her a reason to think outside of that mission.
She isn't dark-enough yet. She has despaired and raged, but there isn't enough hate in her. I want her to become something explicitly unsettling. A real monster.
She gave mercy to that medic, But she eventually becomes a legend as something horrible. Even a glimmer of happiness should not come so easily in this tale.

Palpatine, is that you?

-

An immortal, all-powerful Alicorn as an Element Bearer that doesn't get up off her ass and immediately track down whoever killed a Bearer?
I hope Celestia isn't that moronic...

If I was Celestia, I'd come up with a way to track down Nightkin to either slaughter them all or put them all into safe custody and teach them that Celestians aren't evil; that Nightmare Moon and Luna are not the same pony; Incorporate them into the regular guard so that they will be ready to welcome Luna home

But, with how the story's going so far...

Theory:

Or something like that; I don't know. I try to steer clear of using the Everfree in my stories since it's been done thousands of times (Nyx, Dawn. Lero, etc)
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:46 pm

You could also get away with vague answers, or telling a half-truth

"Is the pony who killed Loyalty here?"

"Yes"

"Truth."

She never said who it was, so Honesty thought it was Slight, since she was the who that admitted it.

Maybe something along the lines of "I can help you find the pony that killed Pyra." and lead him a merry Chase...

*winces at unintentional pun*

Although if we run into another "Finds two elements together; kills one, the other gets away" scene, I'm going to be annoyed at using the same scenario more than once...or I might let it slide if it's well executed - preferably with the death of two Elements at once
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:06 pm

swicked wrote:Is the fact that Loyalty was killed by someone she thought was an ally poetic?
I wonder what it would be like if every one of them died like that. A subversion of their element, I mean. A deception.
The elements allow them to detect the presence or absense of their element in others, making it both a strength and weakness. Pyra could never have been killed by a traitor. She'd see them coming. Only by someone loyal... but to the other side.
For Honesty, Slight could convince someone of something who would then tell the Honesty guy. Due to the extra degree of separation, Honesty guy would believe a messenger who thought they were telling the truth and wouldn't suspect the message.
Thus he could be lured to his death... or, possibly, betrayed. Or led to kill or do something that'd get him killed. I dunno.
I think that's ironic and I can't help hoping for it.
I would absolutely love for all the bearers' deaths to be ironic, especially considering the self-righteousness we've seen so far (the "good guys", element bearers included, are more than happy to slaughter an entire training camp/fort; children, servants, and surrendering combatants included) I really do want to see the attributes that made them so assured in their own righteousness and gave them so much self-proclaimed moral authority being used to bring their whole world crashing down on their head.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Loyalty killed by traitors
Honesty killed by deceit
Generosity killed by greed (selfishness?)
Kindness killed by cruelty
Laughter killed by anger
Magic killed by...hm...a pony stripped of their magic?

Virtues killed by sins; how delicious~
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomManta Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Pyra wrote:We’re rescuing those damn foals, you hear me?
(chapter 6)

While the Celestians absolutely did slaughter all the Nightkin, in their minds they were storming hell to save civilians from their demonic captors (or something like that). It's not like they're monsters who blindly kill their fellow ponies...

DoomManta
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:27 pm

swicked wrote:You cannot imagine my grin right now :D

Conviction Discussion thread - Page 4 Happy13-1 ?
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
swicked wrote:Is the fact that Loyalty was killed by someone she thought was an ally poetic?
I wonder what it would be like if every one of them died like that. A subversion of their element, I mean. A deception.
The elements allow them to detect the presence or absense of their element in others, making it both a strength and weakness. Pyra could never have been killed by a traitor. She'd see them coming. Only by someone loyal... but to the other side.
For Honesty, Slight could convince someone of something who would then tell the Honesty guy. Due to the extra degree of separation, Honesty guy would believe a messenger who thought they were telling the truth and wouldn't suspect the message.
Thus he could be lured to his death... or, possibly, betrayed. Or led to kill or do something that'd get him killed. I dunno.
I think that's ironic and I can't help hoping for it.
I would absolutely love for all the bearers' deaths to be ironic, especially considering the self-righteousness we've seen so far (the "good guys", element bearers included, are more than happy to slaughter an entire training camp/fort; children, servants, and surrendering combatants included) I really do want to see the attributes that made them so assured in their own righteousness and gave them so much self-proclaimed moral authority being used to bring their whole world crashing down on their head.

No, they didn't kill the children, or the servants. And combatants surrendered? The only one I know of was the dickhead who just pretended to surrender. It's hard to feel bad for the nightkin when the leader they worship is okay with so many horrible things involving the children they kidnap. Maybe celestials are just as bad but all I know of is the way they treat their enemy. This is how the nightkin treat the people under their care.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:35 am

Fair enough, but I don't agree with that interpretation. I don't think he ever planned to surrender.

Well, I didn't see any others, I wasn't shown any I think it's safe to say they don't exist.

Not disagreeing, it definitely was, but consider what NMM wanted to do with Goldy on her first night at the castle. Considering the things that these people do ranging from what is child abuse to beating slaves I have a hard time caring about the fact that a group wanted them dead.

The nightkin might be victims of nmm but that sympathy runs a little dry when they bring in others to be her victims.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Long live the Glorious Solar Empire?
Vinylshadow
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Okay, but that doesn't change the fact the nightkin kidnapped and abused children.

Vinyl, have you read the story? I'm confused why you're posting here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:03 pm

I'm confused why he's posting anywhere
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species: