Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is this fandom so good at making us cry?

3 posters

Go down

Why is this fandom so good at making us cry? Empty Why is this fandom so good at making us cry?

Post by CamoBadger Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:16 pm

This is a thread to serve the opposite purpose of my "diabetes" thread. Here feel free to post those things that made you cry in our wonderful fandom; whether it be tears of joy, tears of absolute sadness, or a mix of both. ((No need to be tough and say nothing has made you cry in this fandom, I'm pretty sure between the fanfics and some of the vidoes, all of us have found something to bring a tear to our eye. No judging will go on in this thread, because many of us will likely join you in crying for whatever you post.))

I'll start out with this video. It doesn't tell exactly what happens, and leaves you to think of it yourself, but it hints pretty heavily toward one conclusion, and I shed manly tears of happy-sadness (if that makes any sense)
Goodbye My Friend
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Why is this fandom so good at making us cry? Empty Re: Why is this fandom so good at making us cry?

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Dat video. *crying/sad smiley* <<< hint hint

As for myself... Let's see...

Definitely these fanfics:
Decay > The Magic Never Fades Away
The Price You Pay
The Cold Hand of Mercy

These videos:
Always Faithful / Comic Version
True Friendship / Comic Version

And this Comic:
Memory
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 71

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Why is this fandom so good at making us cry? Empty Re: Why is this fandom so good at making us cry?

Post by CamoBadger Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Always Faithful: *insert sobbing smilie here*

True Friendship: Video: tears were formed. Comic + this song, I'll just be over here sobbing for a while, don't mind me...
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scootaloo Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 pm

They toy with our emotions :P
Scootaloo
Scootaloo
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 6

Character List:
Name: Shimmer Mint
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:37 pm

CamoBadger wrote:Always Faithful: *insert sobbing smilie here*

True Friendship: Video: tears were formed. Comic + this song, I'll just be over here sobbing for a while, don't mind me...
Saying I'm glad I made someone sad/cry is weird, but that's the purpose of this thread, right? Twilight Sparkle

Also, inserting crying/sad smiley hint was supposed to tell you to add one to our collection. Twilight crazy

Scootaloo wrote:They toy with our emotions :P
Also, Scoots, don't you think you could scale down that enormous signature of yours a bit? Derpy Hooves
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:27 pm

*sweeps away some spider webs and dust*
Whoa, looks like no one's been here in a while.

Very well then, not entirely tragic or anything since it turned out well in the end, but still makes one feel the feels.
The First of A Thousand Lonely Winters
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:16 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NO GOD NO
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Spoiler:

I don't wanna think about that...
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 pm

...or this...
Spoiler:
FU pashapup...you're too good at making short comics way too emotional.

And no, there is no part 2.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:10 am

So much feels. Shy
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:33 pm

It's things like this that make me dislike the alicorn Twilight idea regardless of how well it may turn out otherwise (only should it turn out that all alicorns are indeed ageless of course). *sigh*
Mortal by *Jykinturah:
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:43 pm

swicked wrote:Cadence grew up. She was clearly much younger at one point, and I'm certain she will continue to age.

Only Celestia and Luna are eternal, in my eyes.

Maybe Twilight's lifespan has been extended by this, but I don't think it'll be eternally.
Well, if we considered things we know for sure, that'd leave us only with knowing that Celestia and Luna are at least a few thousand years old. The rest are just speculations.

I consider the Royal sisters to be special even among alicorns, but then that leaves the question of how many ways there are to become an alicorn and what are the differences for each of them?

Also, growing up isn't the same and growing old. Human body develops up until... 25 or so years, then it all slowly starts going to hell.
It could be that alicorns grow up normally but won't start growing old. Luna also sort of grew up from season 1 to season 2, though that was probably for different reasons.
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:52 pm

I have to agree with formis here I don't think their bodies developing is necessarily a sign of mortality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 pm

swicked wrote:
In any case, I don't buy into fantasies that involve beings aging entirely normally until they hit a certain age, then stopping. You either age slowly, in which case Cadence would likely still be a teen right now, or you age normally, in which case Cadence will maintain her current aging along with Shining.
That's pretty much what I'm hoping for.

But we have basically a bunch of facts about alicorns, each of which we can explicitly connect with only individuals and not alicorns in general. Celestia and Luna have extremely long life-spans. Cadence was growing up normally, but we don't know how old she actually is (she didn't have her parents at the wedding, meaning that they could be dead already, or they simply couldn't come), and Twilight became an alicorn more or less thanks to the Elements of Harmony.
So right now we have no idea which of these facts we can apply to alicorns in general, or if we should treat alicorns as individuals, each with unique properties

To look at it from different angle, we can presume that both Celestia and Luna are and have been single for a long time, not seeking out relationships because they know they'd always outlive their mates and were left only with grief.
Cadence on the other hand didn't seem bothered by it in the slightest. Maybe she hasn't gotten through the experience yet, or she's willing to overcome it, but I think that if she knew she was going to outlive any possible mate and potential foals, she'd be a lot more cautios about starting a relationship, let alone marrying somepony.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't have to be that they simply stop aging altogether after reaching the breaking point where the body stops developing. Their bodies could very well go through the same cycle as everypony else's, growing up and developing, then growing old. However, the amount of magical power they wield could be the thing keeping them alive on its own, their body simply rejuvenating, regenerating faster than it can wither away. Of course that the way they use their magic would then possibly affect their physical state.
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down