Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Royal Equestrian Armored Division

+5
Fuzzy
Vergil
StoneSlinger88
Harmony Ltd.
RoboRed
9 posters

Page 17 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25 ... 34  Next

Go down

Royal Equestrian Armored Division - Page 17 Empty Re: Royal Equestrian Armored Division

Post by hawkeye92 Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
- SerB states that the FV4202 will not be changed (SS: in real life it had much inferior armor than it has in game), the only change planned is to introduce its historical gun as stock gun (SS: 20pdr Type B)
Yeah I get my historically accurate Tier X! Woo!
To be fair though, if the rate of fire on the 20pdr is completely insane like it should be it might be an interesting gun.
hawkeye92
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 7

Back to top Go down

Royal Equestrian Armored Division - Page 17 Empty Re: Royal Equestrian Armored Division

Post by Fuzzy Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:18 pm

hawkeye92 wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
- SerB states that the FV4202 will not be changed (SS: in real life it had much inferior armor than it has in game), the only change planned is to introduce its historical gun as stock gun (SS: 20pdr Type B)
Yeah I get my historically accurate Tier X! Woo!
To be fair though, if the rate of fire on the 20pdr is completely insane like it should be it might be an interesting gun.
Albeit unable to penetrate anything in tier 10 centric games without serious gold ammo spam, given the FV is far too slow to outflank, it's even slower than the 7/1.

There's also the issue that it can't DPM well. To DPM well you need two things. To have a good DPM gun (obviously) and to be able to survive being visible for a long time. The Centurion 1 can almost manage this with its turret. The 7/1 struggles with it. The FV with its weaker turret armour and exposed unrealistic commander's hatch is worse at hull downing than the two before it. (While also having a worse camo rating) So it simply can't sit there unloading into stuff or it dies, instantly.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 68

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NgCmMMuecDRzbX05uIsZN1sN5HdH

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Well, there goes my smile.
It makes sense it's slower I guess, but it isn't sounding to me like it's a tank I'll want to get.
hawkeye92
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:52 pm

It's really a shame. I enjoyed the FV4202 in the test server. It was fun to drive and has a very respectable gun. The speed wasn't even that big of a factor for me. But its great hull armor and gun depression are negated by the fact that its entire turret is a weak spot without that mantlet programmed in. Without it, it's not much more than a slower, slightly better armored Leopard 1.

(I can't harp on that cupola too much, though. Experience with the AT8 & AT7 has taught me that it's negligible if you move around enough and the gun is accurate enough to offset it. And the FV4202 has more than enough accuracy and mobility to negate the issue.)
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Just do what I did and stop at the Cent 7.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:11 pm

Butyou'rebiasedbecauseyouliketier9salotmore. :P

Anyways, some things I've been meaning to ask in general: 1) How does 8.8 handle 8.7 replays and 2) how has the voices file changed since the update because of the national voices? I need to be aware of any changed I need to make for my voice pack, and I've been scrounging up replays for clips so I can make a video for the pack and post it on the NA (and maybe EU) forums. I haven't had a chance to run the update, and I don't want everything breaking.

Last edited by RoboRed on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 pm

I'll almost certainly stop at the Centurion 7 and instead of eliting it just keep making xp until I have something like 400k, then elite to crew train, so then I can buy whatever will eventually replace that tank at tier 10.
It'll take probably a year to get there (I don't normally grind like I am with the VK at the moment), but itll be a couple of years until WG implements it anyway, so no worries.

Spoiler:
hawkeye92
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:15 pm

RoboRed wrote:Butyou'rebiasedbecauseyouliketier9salotmore. :P

Anyways, some things I've been meaning to ask in general: 1) How does 8.8 handle 8.7 replays and how has the voices file changed since the update because of the national voices? I need to be aware of any changed I need to make for my voice pack, and I've been scrounging up replays for clips so I can make a video for the pack and post it on the NA (and maybe EU) forums. I haven't had a chance to run the update, and I don't want everything breaking.
I will not deny this fact.

Existing voice packs work fine as long as you don't select "use national voices" in the options. Replays though I don't know.

Incidentally, I also love the hell out of the centurion just because it's a centurion.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Do you know if it's possible to get a voice pack to only play for a specific nation if national voices are selected?
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:21 pm

Well from some testing, with the new basic XVM installed (damage log and map only), replays from before 8.8 don't work. Instead of loading normally they got into the login screen then eternally connects. Instead of loading and playing the replay.

Also yes you probably could modify each individual nation, you'd just have to find the voice diles for them I guess and replace them in the mods.
hawkeye92
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:12 am

Well, well, well, well, well...

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/09/19/japanese-tree-announced/
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:35 am

The Chi-Nu Kai should also be there, as a premium at T5.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:41 am

Yep.

Not sure if I'm going to be getting that, but I'm still squirreling away free xp for when the tree is released.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:08 am

Look at all those poorly armoured boxes rolling around at sub tier 8.
Their historical armament doesn't look too fantastic either but we'll have to see what happens.

The tier 10 is going to be another L7 carrying tank. It's thing might be DPM because it had a system to bring shells closer to the breech for the loader to load. Of course it begs the questions, did it actually work and that sounds like a catastrophic explosion waiting to happen depending on the design.

Historically the penetration of the Japanese L7 was about 10mm less than that of the British one. Although they were using imported British ammuniton so there could have been other factors causing that discrepancy in results.

Also, allegedy there's going to be an official GuP voice pack. Which I'm not too surprised at really.
hawkeye92
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:46 am

They might not have fantastic armor, but depending on their armament and how fast / agile they are, this could be interesting.

I just hope they won't steal the French shtick of "here's a (potentially badass) gun we strapped on a quickly moving treaded box, try not to shoot at it too much, okay ?" Spike 
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:46 am

It'll be very strange if the Japanese end up with the stronger guns than the British or German line. Given historically, Japan's guns have not been great and they mounted extremely small calibres.

Heck, the Matilda was still fighting in the East in 1945 and was nearly impenetrable even then with only 70mm of armour.

I'm not entirely sure what the Japanese really will have to go for them. Great off road mobility perhaps, given the terrain they were designed to fight in? Great stealth from their small sizes? Hard to spot tanks that can roll away over terrain you can't follow them perhaps? High rate of fire but weak guns?
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
Unicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:43 am

They're probably going to HAVE to mount un-historical guns at higher tiers, because otherwise they would only be able to play as scouts or baits - in other words, mostly un-enjoyable for the ones driving them.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:58 am

News:

- There will be a Girld Und panzer voicepack, officially. Unknown if Japan only or not.

Mods will bring it over regardless.

- according to Storm, statistically the Mountain pass encounter is doing fine (a lot of people are complaining about it)

What. How could they possibly not see what's wrong with it? This sums up their problems in a nutshell, this is a colossal error.

- Storm states that while the big maps are “in the future”, he is warning players from wanting such maps too much, as their gameplay is “very specific”, this is one of the reasons, why their development is not pushed that hard

Specific as in, it means other nations get a chance instead of being forced into close quarters with crazy Russian tanks?

- apparently, Foch and T57 Heavy will not be nerfed in 8.9

Needs to happen soon. Along with the Foch 155. At least the Jagdpanzer E-100 and FV215b are one shot wonders, this thing gets multiple shots.

- in 8.9, cca 15 tier 1-5 vehicles will be buffed

I'm predicting one of them won't be the Matilda. Its reign may be over depending on how they go. Even a couple more able to reliably penetrate it could be a serious problem.

- STB1 will have the L7A1 gun (SS: it will have lower penetration though, because of some of it specifics – 257 was it?)

Seems they know about the Japanese L7 having lower pen.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
Unicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Fuzzy wrote:It'll be very strange if the Japanese end up with the stronger guns than the British or German line. Given historically, Japan's guns have not been great and they mounted extremely small calibres.

Heck, the Matilda was still fighting in the East in 1945 and was nearly impenetrable even then with only 70mm of armour.

I'm not entirely sure what the Japanese really will have to go for them. Great off road mobility perhaps, given the terrain they were designed to fight in? Great stealth from their small sizes? Hard to spot tanks that can roll away over terrain you can't follow them perhaps? High rate of fire but weak guns?
High mobility and gun depression would be ideal, given the background. And the turret armor listed in the STB1 article is slightly better than that of the Patton. I wouldn't mind something like that.

Fuzzy wrote:News:

- There will be a Girld Und panzer voicepack, officially. Unknown if Japan only or not.

Mods will bring it over regardless.
I like the anime, but I'll probably never use the voice pack. The novelty will wear off quickly.

Speaking of voice packs, I updated my client on my laptop and took a look at how they separated the voice files for national crews. Fortunately, it looks like it's very possible and easy to use a custom pack to play for just one nation. Unfortunately, it appears there's no separate pack for British tanks from American tanks, judging from the fact that there's just a "ingame_voice_en.fsb", and nothing separate like the others (voice_de, voice_ru, etc.). I'm gonna try a complete shot in the dark later by copying packs and changing tags, just to see if there was something built in for later changes (though I highly doubt it, given the way WG treats the British...). But hey, it's worth a shot.

Also speaking of my laptop: with the help of a friend, I discovered how to connect to the campus secure wi-fi, which has unblocked ports. I can now play WoT on campus. Sweetie Belle 

- according to Storm, statistically the Mountain pass encounter is doing fine (a lot of people are complaining about it)

What. How could they possibly not see what's wrong with it? This sums up their problems in a nutshell, this is a colossal error.
I haven't played it yet, but I only ever play standard battles now. So, eh...

- STB1 will have the L7A1 gun (SS: it will have lower penetration though, because of some of it specifics – 257 was it?)

Seems they know about the Japanese L7 having lower pen.
Because historical accuracy really matters. Yup.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Part 1 of the IS-6 event begins tomorrow for the NA server.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Fffff...I guess this means no T29 tier 7 shenanigans tomorrow. At least I can get work done on my Crusader and Type T-34. (And VK3001H, since those dicks didn't reimburse me much for knocking my progress down a tier. Gotta get cash.)

And I WILL be on tomorrow. No class, morning shift at work, homework that I can start later in the weekend. And if anyone tries to bug be about stuff tomorrow, I'm going to tell them to fuck off, because I have not played tanks in a week and a half. I wanna unwind and get shit done.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Also, Ace Combat.
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:41 pm

I saw the trailer through facebook. Dat Stonehenge. Almost makes me wish I had a PS3.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm going to buy a ps3 just to play that. Also for BLu-Ray player and stuff like DUST 514. With the PS4 on the horizon they'll be going down in price no doubt.
hawkeye92
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:03 am

#animemusic
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:02 am

Made me laugh probably more than it should.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:31 pm

Somehow much to my surprise I platooned up with a much better VK4502B driver and kicked some serious ass today. To the point where we had a seven win streak followed by a game where we lost but I got hero medals and tons of money and xp as a result.

I also managed to get seven kills on a draw in that platoon, following another seven kill game I'd had earier on in the day.

So, yeah, the VK can have its' good days as well, to balance out the horrible ones. But it still is a very situational tank.

I'm now 140k into my grind for the Maus. If I can play a lot over the weekend and don't get hit by wekend terrible team fever I should have a Maus early next week.
hawkeye92
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:20 pm

You know, I'd understand you going through all that if it was to get a decent tank,

But the commentaries I've heard regarding the Maus are... Well, "underwhelming" might be a way to phrase it.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:29 am

Well, got some games in (finally). Good news: had a lot of fun. Bad news: I played shitty. And Vergil wasn't with me (he was playing stupid Skyrim). Also, my mods didn't get installed correctly, so I had to play without being able to hear gunfire. And you would not BELIEVE how much that throws me off. Sniper mode was messed up - had to use shift to activate it. I'm not sure if that was the new crosshairs or QB's XVM pack or what. Slipping my voice pack in place of the ingame_voice_en file didn't work. Apparently there's more to the national voices than I first thought. For now, it's either use that for everything, or be stuck with the crummy English voices part of the time.

IN other, happier news, I was searching phontoman's youtube for vids or comments on the upcoming Japanese Chi-Ha (he loves the Chinese one), when I found this little gem:

Some people just need to sit back and uninstall this game...
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye92 Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:56 am

Thing is, the chi-ha at the moment is a fairly classic Chinese style tank for WoT, where it has completely ludicrous gold ammo. Even in regular tier three and four games Phontomen likes using the gold shells with well over a hundred mm of pen, because already having the highest pen gun at tier three isn't good enough.

Personally I don't like the Chi-ha. Although it has good pen and great damage it's inaccurate and slow to aim, wheras for a slight loss in pen which is only noticable at tier 5+, you get a much better long range worker with great depression on the German tank.

Also because it fits in with the Chinese tree and uses a more or less Chinese gun which is also used on the tier four Stuart, I wouldn't take the current Chi-ha as how the Japanese are going to work.

Given Wargaming likes making tanks that weren't necessarily so great in real life look awesome (*cough* Is-3 *cough*) and really good tanks irl bad, I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese tree turns out to be awesome. Since in reality they were almost without exception pretty poor. They were probably more reliable and probably more comfortable than Soviet vehicles but overall they were pretty underwhelming.

The only tanks with 75mm guns were held back so they never got to fight and potentially be a match for the Shermans coming in, although by this point there were Pershings in the fleet ready to be offloaded so there probably wouldn't be much contest anyway.
hawkeye92
hawkeye92
Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 34 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 25 ... 34  Next