Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+39
Somber
RoboRed
CD
SilentCarto
Valikdu
Icy Shake
neoaustin
Frost
Rayndalf
nallar
Gadget Steamhoof
MSCA
Elden Andel
joltius
Tacoman587
DotRook
Vexd
Scootayay
Admiral Stoic Rum
TB3
FoolNeim
Defrak
Bootleg
tylertoon2
Katarn
Epsilon
Scienza
The Truth
Borsuq
PeppyJoe
decumos
Evilgidgit
JadedPony
atikin
FeatherDust
ILM126
Derpmind
WavemasterRyx
Harmony Ltd.
43 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by FeatherDust Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:54 pm

Chapter 76 Commentary:

As far as who's going to go on the mission...
Spoiler:
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:13 pm

...Well, we do seem to have a variety of thoughts and memories on Blackjack's age. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:23 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
ILM126 wrote:Also, someone did a review on Chapter 76. Wow... Wish I could do that :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf30Az5Y2oY
...I was going to watch it now, and then I saw the duration.  :)
Still, thanks for linking it.  I'll watch at least a bit, I think.
Good grief, did you say 'review' or 'reading'?
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:59 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
ILM126 wrote:Also, someone did a review on Chapter 76. Wow... Wish I could do that :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf30Az5Y2oY
...I was going to watch it now, and then I saw the duration.  :)
Still, thanks for linking it.  I'll watch at least a bit, I think.
Good grief, did you say 'review' or 'reading'?
Fact is, that'd actually be an impressively fast reading.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:06 am

Hey, guys! It's been a long time since my last post here. I'm on a vacation abroad, so I don't have proper access to the Internet...
Just managed to finish chapter 76. Very good and well written chapter. I'm glad you took your time to make it look that way!
However, I've got to agree with Mr hawkeye92:

hawkeye92 wrote:Well, it's been a very long time- years probably. I haven't stopped reading and I am still looking forwards to the resolution. However, there's a one big niggling thing about this final part of the story that's bugged me pretty badly.

Spoiler:

It shouldn't really be taken as discouragement, it's intended as constructive criticism, even if the issue is more or less impossible to fix. I suppose it's more a recommendation for other people planning on writing a story, not to fall into that trap.

Although I understand that death of so many main characters was planned, possibly, from the beginning of the story, hawkeye92 is right about it being emotionally draining. With every new death your emotional reaction is less powerful, so is your connection to the remaining characters. At least that is how it works for me, and, apparently, for Mr hawkeye92. But just as he said, there's nothing to do right now, but that's a good point to bring up.

One more thing that bothers me - Scotch x Bastard scene. Sorry to bring it up once again, but I just want to ask why does it bother some of you guys so much? Maybe I'm not a smart guy, but I still don't understand it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not supporting any sexual contacts in young age, especially not with adults, but in this specific scene it doesn't seem wrong to me. Scotch and BJ were risen in the society where sex is not a tabu, but a common activity in every age. Bastard doesn't seem so bothered about having sex with a filly, so he's out of equation here. BJ isn't bothered too much as well, as she herself sees sex as a way to relax and get a break from painful reality, something that Scotch needed so much in this situation. One more point that was brought earlier is that Scotch is actually much more mature psychologically than physically, so I suppose she's mature enough to make her own decisions. So why is it so wrong? Just by it being between (technically) a child and an adult? Please explain me your point of view.

Icy Shake wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:   
Your mother tasted like... apples...

This is... not a quote I recall or can find via document search. What? Is this the Eater speaking directly to her mind?
She's not remembering it perfectly. You're looking for Chapter 72:
“You really think of me as your mom?” I asked when we pulled ourselves together.

She rolled her eyes.  “Well, yeah.  I didn’t want to have sex with her either, and she was one of the few mares that made me feel that way.  Well, Rivets, but more ‘cause she was a million years old and her hoo-hah probably tasted like licking the mouth of a rusty gray water pipe.”

“More like a bag of stale grass chips,” P-21 interjected casually.

Scotch Tape and I both froze, staring at him, and I couldn’t help but shudder.  Scotch scrunched up her face.  “Daddy!  Ew!  I did not need to…”  She clutched her head.  “Ah!  Stupid brain!  Stop thinking about Rivets’s hoochie!”

“What?  It did.  With a slight tang of…” P-21 said as if he were recalling a old vintage of wine he didn’t particularly care too much for.

“Daddy!  Noooo!  There is no tang!  No tang!  Ah, stop thinking, dumb brain!” Scotch wailed.  She covered her ears with her hooves, chanting loudly, “La la la, not thinking about Rivets’s tangy hoochie...”  She paused and cried out, “It’s not working!”

“Ha!  It takes years of practice to master the art of not thinking about it, Scotch Tape,” I said with an amused smile.  Then P-21 looked at me, his eyes narrowed.  “What?” I asked him, arching a brow.  His lips curled in a small smile, and I felt a little nervous sweat run down the back of my neck.  “What?” I repeated nervously, flushing.

“Your mom tasted like… apples,” he said with such certainty that I knew, from that point on, I would never be able to eat Sugar Apple Bombs without thinking about the part of my mom I wanted to think about least.

“Oh…” I closed my eyes.  “I… didn’t want to know that.  Why did I have to know that?”

“You’re evil, Daddy,” Scotch Tape said with a pout.

You might not recall it because it wasn't the original version: this was added in as part of the replacement for (trying to think of how to put this in a way acceptable on this forum . . .) Scotch's "not in my eye!" moment, which had drawn complaints.

Oh, unrelated, but Charity's part of the chapter, and something I heard today, made me think of another way she could introduce herself (in addition to “Welcome to Charity’s, where we ain’t”): "I'm Charity, as in 'all proceeds go to.'" Spike 

May I ask what the original version was? You can PM me if you don't feel like writing it here.

Last edited by swicked on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : as requested)
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 am

I don't have the whole thing, just the fragments left copied into commentary. But here's what I have:
Spoiler:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:47 am

Ha-ha, I like this version more! Too bad you removed it.
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:00 pm

Actually, I was looking through the wrong places. I do have the whole thing:
Old:
New:

Hinds probably also had a post detailing the difference back in December.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:28 pm

Yeah, the new version is much better after all. Although, I still didn't get what exactly got in her eye. O.o
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:34 pm

Thank you for your effort, by the way. I wonder if you have some kind of storage for all the versions that didn't see the light? =)
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:40 pm

As someone who only sees the things that reach the light of day . . . no.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:29 pm

atikin wrote:Hey, guys! It's been a long time since my last post here...
I'm trying really hard (but failing) not to imagine Tree Hugger shouting this post through a megaphone. Applebloom
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:54 am

SilentCarto wrote:
atikin wrote:[size=37]Hey, guys! It's been a long time since my last post here...[/size]
I'm trying really hard (but failing) not to imagine Tree Hugger shouting this post through a megaphone. Applebloom
Ha-ha.   Spike
Actually Maud Pie suits my personality much more, but when I was looking for an avatar I thought I might need a bit more of positiveness.
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:55 am

And why do part of my posts appear with bigger font size???

Last edited by atikin on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:27 am

atikin wrote:And why do part of my posts appear with bigger don't size???
If you edit your post, you'll see [/size] and [size=28] tags all over it. If you don't see those, then you need to toggle the rightmost button on the toolbar above the text ares. (It's the "Switch Editor Mode" button and it's there for stupid web development reasons.) You can also see the format stuff people put in their posts if you click the quote button. As for why those size tags got put in there in the first place, it's because whatever you were using to make your post automatically did that because reasons. (Reasons that are stupid.)
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought. It was a rhetorical question. I'm posting from my phone mostly, so I usually use notes application to compose long posts for it being more comfortable, so it alters the size of the text somehow...
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:36 pm

And I won't edit my previous post already for the same reason. If someone could do it for me I'll be very thankful. 
Anyway, we've gone off topic...

Last edited by atikin on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:43 pm

Not that important. Just to edit my previous post so it'll be in normal font size, because it's not that simple from the phone. Thanks. 
As for the topic related questions - see the post...
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 pm

From the editing chat:
Project Horizons: Going through so many blood swamps that we lose count.

Also, we've got just short of twenty pages done so far. The going is slow, but we are making progress!

@atikin:
What questions do you still have outstanding? Sorry. I've been a bit busy recently (and I still have some reading and commenting to do tonight, in fact, among other things).
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:17 am

Sigh... Another week, another no ending... this will be ended this chapter though.  BJ is already facing the Eater...

Then we'll do the epilogue... then... that's it.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:45 am

O. Hinds:
I just wanted to understand why do people get bothered so much by the Bastard x Scotch scene, because I still don't quiet get it. 
By the way, really liked Glory's reaction to it towards BJ you put in the last chapter after all the complaints. =)
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:53 am

Somber wrote:Sigh... Another week, another no ending... this will be ended this chapter though.  BJ is already facing the Eater...

Then we'll do the epilogue... then... that's it.
I'm both excited and sorry that PH is gonna end so soon! It was a part of my life for so long that I don't know what will fill the void that will remain after I finish it... 
Somber, may I ask what are your future plans? Do you want to start an original project or continue with fanfiction? Or just get some break from writing at all?
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:56 am

atikin wrote:I just wanted to understand why do people get bothered so much by the Bastard x Scotch scene, because I still don't quiet get it.
Ah. I'm afraid that I'm not sure about that either. I agree that it makes sense given the circumstances it took place in. And sure, there'd be a lot of problems with it under many other sets of circumstances, but it's not under those other circumstances.

atikin wrote:By the way, really liked Glory's reaction to it towards BJ you put in the last chapter after all the complaints. =)
That was not mine as I recall, but thanks. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:10 am

O. Hinds wrote:
atikin wrote:I just wanted to understand why do people get bothered so much by the Bastard x Scotch scene, because I still don't quiet get it.
Ah.  I'm afraid that I'm not sure about that either.  I agree that it makes sense given the circumstances it took place in.  And sure, there'd be a lot of problems with it under many other sets of circumstances, but it's not under those other circumstances.
I know, we were on the same side in that argument back then. That's why I asked all the forum, but it feels like it's too late already to get any clear answers...
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by CD Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:44 am

atikin wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
Ah.  I'm afraid that I'm not sure about that either.  I agree that it makes sense given the circumstances it took place in.  And sure, there'd be a lot of problems with it under many other sets of circumstances, but it's not under those other circumstances.
I know, we were on the same side in that argument back then. That's why I asked all the forum, but it feels like it's too late already to get any clear answers...
I think it's because it constitutes pedophilia. I'm generally not on board with the gut reactions of people whenever sex between an adult and a minor is brought up, I think it gets overblown. But I'm also not opposed to there being an arbitrary age limit of 18 years before it's legal because even at that age, teenagers still make stupid decisions they regret. And Scotch was certainly emotionally vulnerable, which could mean this was such a mistake (we'll know for sure in 11 months).

And yes, Scotch is from a very different society and the Wasteland has no legal age enforced by any real government. But the readership will still project their own values onto the characters and consider any adult-on-minor sex acts exploitative.
CD
CD
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:47 am

That's right, but every situation has to be taken individually. Some things inappropriate in particular circumstances can be totally appropriate in others.
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:12 pm

By the way, really liked Glory's reaction to it towards BJ you put in the last chapter after all the complaints. =)
Not to speak for others, but I think it's mostly a sense that the characters aren't showing an appropriate degree of revulsion for something the reader finds distateful. Which I don't understand at this stage of the story, considering how much screwed-up stuff there is in the Hoof.

Huh. Kind of funny to consider what Chapter 70-or-so Blackjack's reaction would be if she walked into the Stable 99 of Chapter 1 (assuming she wasn't familiar with it already), and what Chapter 1 Blackjack's reaction would have been to her...
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:51 pm

I think chapter one's BJ reaction would be more anticipating, because even though stable 99 community was rotten, pedophilia wasn't a norm there as far as I remember. The mares was having sex with the stallions their age (like BJ and her friends "playing" with other colts in one of P-21's records, and not with a grown up ones). Also, more mature mares would choose a stallion they want, and I don't think it would be considered as something wrong for mare to choose an older stallion... 
On the other hand, when the Bastard x Scotch scene occurred, Scotch already had her cutie mark, so I suppose she'd be considered as a grown up mare in the stable, and put on a breeding queue, so it wouldn't be an act of pedophilia at all... That way BJ would actually react the same way, I suppose. 
The question is how would she react to an act of real pedophilia in her stable (like a little filly "playing" with a grown up stallion) and was it possible at all for this to happen?
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by atikin Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Oh, now I see I didn't quiet get your question. I thought you were talking about this scene... 
Well, as for BJ reaction to such a stable, hard to tell, but I suppose she would make a revolution there pretty quickly.
She had changed and learned a lot during her adventures, so such a community wouldn't be appropriate for her anymore.
atikin
atikin
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:48 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
Not to speak for others, but I think it's mostly a sense that the characters aren't showing an appropriate degree of revulsion for something the reader finds distateful. Which I don't understand at this stage of the story, considering how much screwed-up stuff there is in the Hoof.
What about how the second thing Blackjack/Luna noticed was that Scotch wasn't (obviously) raping him? That's the kind of detail I'd expect to jog a reader into remembering character perspective and setting detail they otherwise might not have had in mind right then.

I liked Glory's reaction as well, but also Blackjack's response to it.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next