Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Page 19 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 34  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:50 am

swicked wrote:
Last wrote:
Frost wrote:
As always, Duffelblog offers another perspective

Definitely puts it in perspective.

I wonder exactly what people are pissed about, conservation? Like the article you posted mentioned yesterday Cecil was up in age.
Was the hunter specifically aiming to kill an elderly lion?
I thought lions were endangered and that you weren't supposed to hunt them at all.
But it's no excuse for a big uproar, in any case.

The article Frost posted says that the man paid 50,000 dollars in permits, so I assume the hunt was legal if that's what you're asking. Unless he bought permits for a different animal* or from someone not associated with whatever Zimbabwe's version of the department of fish and wildlife is.

As far as looking for elderly lions I heard the guides are supposed to do that, wish I knew more I can only speculate. If I had to guess the price of the permit probably reflects how few are issued, which I think speaks for their efforts to conserve the creatures. If the guides are agents of the department of fish and wildlife then I'd guess they do attempt to find the elderly lions.

But of course that's all just me guessing.

*Heard that could be the case but I only heard it from one source. The source also suggested it was the guide's fault.

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:21 am

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/cecil-the-lion-knee-jerk-reaction-may-hurt-wildlife-zimbabwe-guide-n402926

Well shit, the hunt might have been illegal. Still looking through articles to verify. (specifically ignoring ones that say "Death of beloved lion" they obviously seem to be pandering for the click dollar) Though to be fair I doubt the social media outrage has anything to do with the legality of the hunt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:26 am

Lions aren't categorized as 'Endangered' yet; and certainly weren't at the time of the hunt. The main issue was that he thought the hunt was legal, unaware that the lion had wandered off a game reserve. Apparently, if anyone, his locally-hired guide was at fault. But he's not an Evil Rich White Man, so you can't blame him.
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:26 am

Well, the office building in working in is undergoing a power outage, the interior rooms look straight out of a horror movie, good thing the room I'm in has a window.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:57 am

Frost wrote:Lions aren't categorized as 'Endangered' yet; and certainly weren't at the time of the hunt. The main issue was that he thought the hunt was legal, unaware that the lion had wandered off a game reserve. Apparently, if anyone, his locally-hired guide was at fault. But he's not an Evil Rich White Man, so you can't blame him.
Well, if they weren't endangered,then that really should close the issue. The fact that he paid someone $50,000 isn't really an excuse for ignorance of the law as they apply in his country of origin, otherwise. I'm certain there are countries that would let you get away with a great many things if you paid them $50,000 first.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:34 pm

What remains of the legal issues is that the lion was from a reservation, but was shot while it was off the reservation. Palmer's story is that he didn't know it was from a reservation and many say Cecil just wandered off, while others say Palmer baited him off (which, if he were going to do, I doubt he'd pay $50,000 for)
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Yeah, and doubtless that kind of question arises every time something's killed anywhere near a reservation.

You'd think $50,000 could cover some kinda "hunter's insurance". Much like buying insurance from the rental car place allows you to move on hassle-free if you get in an accident while the dealer handles the legal issues, there should be an insurance to protect such big game hunters should Greenpeace or whatever catch word and raise a stink.

This potential legal situation is easily forseable so there should be a way to streamline it or forgo it entirely.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:14 pm

Romantic beyond belief:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:17 pm

swicked wrote:Yeah, and doubtless that kind of question arises every time something's killed anywhere near a reservation.

You'd think $50,000 could cover some kinda "hunter's insurance". Much like buying insurance from the rental car place allows you to move on hassle-free if you get in an accident while the dealer handles the legal issues, there should be an insurance to protect such big game hunters should Greenpeace or whatever catch word and raise a stink.

This potential legal situation is easily forseable so there should be a way to streamline it or forgo it entirely.
I'd have to look into it more, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case--by all appearances, this is at worst an unfortunate mistake that Palmer and US/Zimbabwean authorities could have smoothed out with the worst case being a fine or probation, possible prohibition from returning to Zimbabwe (with likely leniency from the fact that it's a mistake).

But now the court of public opinion has their filthy, cavity-ridden teeth on it and they'd like to condemn without evidence and without due process. Because everyone likes law and order until it gets in the way of what they want.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:30 pm

In the US the three most hated occupations (by those outside of the careers) are probably lawyers, politicians, and cops.

No, I do not think everyone particularly "likes" law and order. We take the thing for granted and anyone actually a part of the process is as hated as possible within the bounds of the process itself.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Poor choice of words, then--my point being the hypocrisy of it all.

They hate cops, but nine times of ten are the first ones to call or threaten to call the cops when things don't go their way.

They hate and deeply mistrust the politicians that they, themselves, voted into office.

They hate lawyers until someone offends them slightly, then they'll threaten to sue.

The crowd calling for Palmer to be ostracized, brutalized, or simply harshly punished for his actions are essentially spoiled children, looking for their chance to appear superior by condemning someone else--you'll note that there's hardly an outcry when 550--700 per year are attacked by lions, but now one of those poor, cute widdle kitty cats is dead, so there should be an uproar.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:04 pm

Good points on most of that, less so with the polititians. We only barely elect for most federal positions. State governments, though... yeah.

In any case, you raise an interesting point. Lions attack humans. Why haven't we just killed them all? What value do the things bring to the world?
It's kinda one of those arguments of pragmatism vs... what, romantacism? Whatever causes us to still fund the arts (and sports?) when the same money could be used to research medicine and destroy our enemies.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:38 pm

HOLY SHIT, SLAYER'S COMING HERE

...on December. Well, something to look forward to.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:12 pm

swicked wrote:Good points on most of that, less so with the polititians. We only barely elect for most federal positions. State governments, though... yeah.

In any case, you raise an interesting point. Lions attack humans. Why haven't we just killed them all? What value do the things bring to the world?
It's kinda one of those arguments of pragmatism vs... what, romantacism? Whatever causes us to still fund the arts (and sports?) when the same money could be used to research medicine and destroy our enemies.
Because, despite the environment improving steadily since the 1970's (when environmentalism and conservation really took off) people are still of this conception that the world will be utterly destroyed if the South Chilean Dung Beetle went extinct.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:33 pm

I would personally find it pretty hilarious to watch Disney's Lion King in a world where the things didn't exist anymore.
"The Circle of Life" song particularly.

I can imagine fan edits where the lions are just not there anymore. The animals all just bowing to a rock.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Or, since Lion King sans lions would simply be The King, the lions are all superimposed with Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, and historical kings from Vlad the Impaler to Alexander the Great
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:42 pm

Frost wrote:What remains of the legal issues is that the lion was from a reservation, but was shot while it was off the reservation. Palmer's story is that he didn't know it was from a reservation and many say Cecil just wandered off, while others say Palmer baited him off (which, if he were going to do, I doubt he'd pay $50,000 for)

Getting conflicting reports myself. Some people are saying luring a lion off is illegal and shooting a collared lion is illegal. While others are saying that's simply not the case and the issue is that Palmer was told by the guides he hired that they had permits when they simply did not.

At least on the collaring issue I'm inclined to believe it's untrue. While it's not the freshest in my memory I remember watching a show years ago in which a hunter shot a bear and simply cut off the collar, while the people studying the bear were upset they only seemed to wish the collar had been returned to them.

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:52 pm

Frost wrote:Or, since Lion King sans lions would simply be The King, the lions are all superimposed with Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, and historical kings from Vlad the Impaler to Alexander the Great
For the sake of the story I imagine just those four will do, standing in for Mufasa, Scar, Simba, and Nala. The question is which is which?
Who would you rather seen trampled to death, torn apart by hyenas, have sex with his sister, and nearly get raped by her uncle?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:16 pm

@Last: the former scenario is what I've been hearing is Palmer's testimony as well--if it proves to be the case, then I'd imagine he wouldn't be subject to very heavy penalty (perhaps some fines). In any event, he's already contacted the (US) authorities. 

@Swick: This is turning into Marry, Fuck, Kill; Celebrity Edition.

Mufasa: Alexander the Great

Scar: Michael Jackson

Simba: Elvis

Nala: Vlad the Impaler

Now all that's left is to try and get the picture of Elvis and Dracula fucking out of your head.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:27 pm

@Valikdu
Niiiiice. Only shame is that you're not getting Kvelertak and Anthrax, too, if my research is accurate (they're touring together but Slayer has a few solo shows or something).

@swicked/Frost
Which one was hotter, Alexander the Great or Vlad the Impaler? 'Cuz, like, if we're watching incest no matter what, I'd rather not see Elvis or Michael Jackson incest. Also, my understanding is that for European royalty this was already almost the norm, so at least it wouldn't be too weird for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:55 pm

*Speaking from my firsthand knowledge as a person who's into the cock*

You kiddin'? Is that even a question?

Vlad:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 Vlad-tepes-impaler-dracula
Look at that boot-fucked-ass motherfucker. 

Compare:

The intensity:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 Alexander_the_Great

The wisdom:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 EmilysQuotes.Com-army-sheep-lion-Alexander-the-Great-courage-war-great

The physique :
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 220px-Alexander1256

The piercing, marble stare:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 Arno_breker_alexander_the_great_arno_breker

How Vlad gonna step to that? Look at that guy. All colorful and fleshy and shit. How is he gonna compare to Alexander, deliciously carved from perfect, rock hard marble.....

incomparable.
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Deliciously unrelated:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 Tumblr_mknis9Glus1ryd09zo1_1280
for fans of surrealist art
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:45 am

gifs:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 165806
i:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 166347
like:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 166423

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:41 am

Words can not express how fucking excited I am :

And I can't remember the last time I was so excited for a movie that has such a solid R rating.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:11 am

Tytan wrote:
Words can not express how fucking excited I am :

And I can't remember the last time I was so excited for a movie that has such a solid R rating.
YES! Though this trailer wasn't quite as exciting as the previous ones, probably because it was trying to be at least partially serious instead of completely silly.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:46 am

scienzabait:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 9c3bd6394f2392cf317d21a2517cf7da-d941wa1
http://astronomieart.deviantart.com/art/Cloudchaser-551002537

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:12 pm

If you ever feel anxious at work, remember that there are people who routinely have to handle fragile pieces of equipment costing the price of a high-end sports car or a little house. You're probably not one of these people.

I, on the other hand, can't say the same. [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 DphLwa7
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:14 pm

lel:
[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 NJ1aLQd
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:If you ever feel anxious at work, remember that there are people who routinely have to handle fragile pieces of equipment costing the price of a high-end sports car or a little house. You're probably not one of these people.

I, on the other hand, can't say the same. [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 19 DphLwa7
Mine wasn't quite that expensive, and only sometimes fragile. On the other hand, I was also in high school at the time, and there were certain other details with one of them . . .
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Excited: [link]

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 34 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26 ... 34  Next