Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+61
cb5
ARoundCorner
Warbalist
Walker006
U_Flame
Plasticube
Mister Nikel
Ametros
thatguyvex
nebulous
Regolit
MLPOCG
Retl
Cptadder
CamoBadger
Katarn
maxuglov169
delorean
Boing
FoolNeim
Mobius04
Tacoman587
tylertoon2
WovenTales
Luminous Lead
RoboRed
Stringtheory
Aonee
StoneSlinger88
Harmony Ltd.
Snipehamster
Train Dodger
Mr. Snrub
squeak-anon
Leoman
Moodyman90
Caoimhe
hawkeye92
Quotidian
CD
Downloaded Skill
The Holy Tuna
Overthepacific
Valikdu
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Ketchup
AGurdel
jacky2734
Admiral Stoic Rum
Vergil
WavemasterRyx
Derpmind
OneMoreDaySK
Somber
Exodus Hero
Meleagridis
O. Hinds
Sindri
Icy Shake
SilentCarto
65 posters

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:42 am

AGurdel wrote:
wc output:
Should be approximately 1.11 million words.
Naller is reporting 1091955, though, and I think that that's a bit higher than the true wordcount due to some other stuff being included (assuming that the counting software is working). I'm not sure how to account for the discrepancy, but it's still quite a lot of words.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by AGurdel Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:30 pm

After stripping every character that's not a letter or whitespace, wc is reporting a word count of 1108654.

Word counts for chaper 42:
wc: 30073
wc (after stripping): 30047
Notepad++: 30596
gedit: 30946
OO-Writer: 30727

The relative difference between OO and wc is greater than the difference between the Naller count and my wc count.

My input files are the text files you can download from google docs and the notes after the footnotes are probably a large portion of the difference. I could run wc against the "Naller document", if you tell me where I can find it.

AGurdel
AGurdel
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:13 pm

https://nallar.me/fics/
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by AGurdel Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:01 pm

I removed the parts that belong to the index page and get:

wc: 1114494
OpenOffice Writer: 1143081
wordcounter.net: 1146107
wordcountonline.net: 1150687
count(" "): 1089975

I repeated the last one with the whole Nallar document and got 1091787. That's not the reported 1091955, but it's close enough to say, that that count is based on the number of spaces in the document.

I would go with the word count of wc, which after all does nothing except counting lines, words and characters. Those GNU tools are usually quite good.

\edit
Couldn't stop playing with Python...
Code:

>>> nallarfile.count(" ") + nallarfile.count("'")
By that definition "don't " is two words, but "don’t " is one. If you also count the "’", you get 1125504 "words".
AGurdel
AGurdel
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:52 am

sigh... I am such an idiot... re- re visions to 54 fights.... and adding like 3 pages... ugh....
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:00 am

Try not to stress out too much over this stuff, Somber; perfectionism never reaches its goal. But I do look forward to reading the revisions. :) Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:00 am

@Somber
Silly Somber, are you contacting and coordinating with your editors for this? Methinks sometimes you might want to save ideas for later chapters, or are trying too hard to revise. Sometimes you just have to let it be. Story I liked, first edition was based on a drunken rant. Then they're doing a rewrite and it lost its charm.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Exodus Hero Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:48 am

Somber wrote:sigh... I am such an idiot... re- re visions to 54 fights.... and adding like 3 pages... ugh....

Man, I don't get why your re- revising it. Hell, I like the first one, but I'd be a liar if I said I'm not looking forward to reading more pages of the story. Also, stop being so down on yourself man, you're your own worst enemy when you talk down to yourself like that. Cheer up, you are blessed with many friends on this thread. Try and stay happy, even when times are dark. :)
Exodus Hero
Exodus Hero
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name: Penny Dust
Species: Filthy Mud Pony

http://exodushero.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Okay, the revision is in! This one is in one large block, so you may find it below for your convenience.
Spoiler:
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:27 pm

@Revision
That was a damn fine read.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Okay, the revision is in! This one is in one large block, so you may find it below for your convenience.
Spoiler:
I don't think the word 'ponies' is what is supposed to be there.

I like this revision, it was rather fun to read.
Ketchup
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Ketchup wrote:
I don't think the word 'ponies' is what is supposed to be there.

I like this revision, it was rather fun to read.
Ah, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:52 pm

Very nice.

Spoiler:

Oh, and I'm late on this, but Somber, I wish you the best of luck finding work after the school year ends. I'm very sorry to hear that news.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:20 am

Icy Shake wrote:Very nice.

Spoiler:

Oh, and I'm late on this, but Somber, I wish you the best of luck finding work after the school year ends. I'm very sorry to hear that news.
Ah, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:25 am

54 was an unfortunate mess, particularly with the legate. I also wrote 15p the day we were brushing, which didn't help. I like suggestions were I can actually do something about them.

Huge hugs to the editorial team though. They put in time even for tweaking a chapter.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:39 am

@Revision
More realistic fight there, but and we don't get to figure out what happened with Lancer, unless we get to use the old revisions as basis for what happened. So I guess it will hold if Lancer reappears with one eye.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:54 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:No need to disregard them, I think; we've got two practically-immortals (possibly three, if this other universe gets Twilicorn) in charge of things.
You're assuming Twilicorn is in fact immortal. I'm not sure that's the case. Cadence appears to have aged at a normal rate from teen to adult and had no apparent misgivings about marrying Shining.
Twilicorn is just non-canon for FOE. That was the first event in the show that simply can't be explained by any method. There's too much Unicorn!Twilight stuff written already for FOE. That was the point of BJ's musings about the thread of fate; she wonders if there's another universe out there where fate was more kind, which would be the Alicorn!Twilight continuity the show is following.

Second: Twilicorn is almost certainly immortal*, at least in terms of author intent -- Faust said she originally intended Twilight to ultimately become Celestia's successor, which she obviously couldn't be if her life were shorter than Celly's. Things have changed a bit since then in the writing process, but I think the clear implication is that Twilight is the same sort of being that C&L are.

* Or possibly quasi-immortal, with a lifespan measured in millennia; it may be that this is why Celestia needed a replacement; she's coming to the end of her vast but finite lifespan.
FeatherDust
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:23 pm

With regards from 4chan about the latest revision:

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 2 1364729890033

Sorry, but that last revision? I haven't read it first hand, but I read the overview from someone else and... I don't even know what to think any more.
I'll not speak any more on this, don't worry, but yeah.
Really finding it hard to understand why all that needed to be put in.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:04 pm

It just goes to show, you can't please everyone and shouldn't try. And when it's a choice between pleasing people who are reading your story 'cos they like it and 4Chan (who also happen to be reading it to hate it), the choice is clear.
Spike

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:36 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Okay, the revision is in! This one is in one large block, so you may find it below for your convenience.
Thanks!
Ch. 54 Re-revisions:
Edits:
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Kippershy wrote:With regards from 4chan
We don't need to hear this crap.
More importantly, Somber doesn't need to hear this crap.

Stop dragging crap from 4chan here.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Valikdu wrote:
Kippershy wrote:With regards from 4chan
We don't need to hear this crap.
More importantly, Somber doesn't need to hear this crap.

Stop dragging crap from 4chan here.
Hear hear. If you haven't read it, I will personally thank you to shut your mouth about things you know nothing about. I really doubt there's anything in the world that you won't hear sucks from someone on 4chan. I mean, really. If we gave a flying feather what 4chan thought, we would in fact be on 4chan finding out.

Consider my jimmies rustled.

Last edited by SilentCarto on Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Overthepacific Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:53 pm

Kippershy wrote:

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 2 1364729890033

Lol, I love trailer park boys.

But another revision? Right as I get back too.
Well, I'll get on that then.
Overthepacific
Overthepacific
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 30

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:00 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
Thanks!
Ch. 54 Re-revisions:
Edits:
Ah, thank you as always. There are two things that I've not changed, though:
Spoiler:
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:16 pm

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:It just goes to show, you can't please everyone and shouldn't try. And when it's a choice between pleasing people who are reading your story 'cos they like it and 4Chan (who also happen to be reading it to hate it), the choice is clear.
[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 2 779695502

I know I said I wouldn't, but...
I was liking it. Now I'm not sure what to think at all...
Maybe it's me and how I've been feeling lately, but it's getting harder and harder to enjoy PH as of late.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Kippershy wrote:
Have you read the change yourself yet?
Meleagridis
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Overthepacific Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:30 pm

Well, I reread the legate scene anyway, since that seems to be the hotspot with the revision.

Spoiler:
Overthepacific
Overthepacific
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 30

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:26 pm

@Kipper
One way or another (or maybe both), it's probably the echo chamber effect. I'd like to think we're more reasonable over here, as well as more accountable for our statements, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:32 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
Kippershy wrote:

I skimmed it. I don't have it in me to give it a proper read because I was told what happens, confirmed key moments to find out if the post was bullshitting me or not and realised it wasn't.
I haven't got it in me to give it a proper read.

I suppose I should at some point, but not tonight. I should really be asleep right now, but the Flutterrape threads need me.
Kippershy
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:47 pm

Kippershy wrote:
Meleagridis wrote:
Kippershy wrote:

I skimmed it. I don't have it in me to give it a proper read because I was told what happens, confirmed key moments to find out if the post was bullshitting me or not and realised it wasn't.
I haven't got it in me to give it a proper read.

I suppose I should at some point, but not tonight. I should really be asleep right now, but the Flutterrape threads need me.
Seriously, Kipper - stop letting people ruin things for you. There are multiple ways to read something, and most of those guys are not reading it for any reason except to hate it at this point, whether or not they are doing so intentionally. The things they take away will shape how you read it, inevitably.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 32 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17 ... 32  Next