Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 2 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:44 pm

CD wrote:I hope it's okay if I make my introductory post here. I caught up on this story today and Hinds encouraged me to join the forum, so now that I won't have to worry about spoilers, I've done so. It's been a long read, but a fun one, and I'm anxious to see the next chapters posted.

I should probably say something relevant to the discussion running at the moment, but can't think of something that's not been said better before. Anyway, congrats to the writer on making such an epic fanfic and spawning hundreds of pages worth of discussion.
Welcome!

Sindri wrote:
CD wrote:Yeah, I've kinda noticed. I was actually interested in reading some of the reactions to chapter 33, but it's easier to go diving for quarters in quicksand.
Well, if we go through by date then-

Wait, I don't think there's a record of when chapters were first released. And the doc has almost certainly been edited since then...

Hey Hinds, do you have it written down anywhere?
I think that I know a way to find out, but my internet connection is currently being terrible. Oh, on that note, I've heard that there's a group on FaceBook amassing complaints against Windstream Communications to send to the FCC. It somewhat makes me want to get a FaceBook account just to join them.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:40 pm

Holy crap, hard to believe that 33 was a year ago. D:

I of course caught on to this shindig later on but the sense of time of it all is nuts.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Quotidian on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Jeez. It really has been a long time, hasn't it?

On a semi-related note- and I don't know if this has been posted before -there's this guy on YouTube called CrazedRambling who's doing a reading of Project Horizons. He's pretty good, and he works fast as well. Usually puts out a chapter a week, and he's up to chapter five right now.

Quick warning, though. It'll make you read all of P-21's dialogue with a British accent.
Quotidian
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 49

Character List:
Name: Drifter
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Quotidian wrote:Jeez. It really has been a long time, hasn't it?

On a semi-related note- and I don't know if this has been posted before -there's this guy on YouTube called CrazedRambling who's doing a reading of Project Horizons. He's pretty good, and he works fast as well. Usually puts out a chapter a week, and he's up to chapter five right now.

Quick warning, though. It'll make you read all of P-21's dialogue with a British accent.
eh, I'm incredibly picky with my readers so I'm going to have to pass on this one
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:08 am

Ick, I dislike British accents.

I might check it out, though, as I rather like audiobooks. You can get through books pretty quickly when the work continues telling itself whether you're distracted or not.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:03 am

I like audiobooks in theory. But they don't work out for me because they're SO SLOW. And the voices always sound more realistic in my head. It's damn impressive that this person's done all of FoE on audiobook, and is crazy enough to give a crack at PH too, but I can't listen to a male voice narrating what is technically female narration. Also, and this is just my opinion, but a neutral voice for narration just doesn't work for me. It's supposed to be Blackjack's mental self-narration, and that should have personality behind it. But mostly all audiobooks are TOO SLOW for me. Still, for everyone who an audiobook actually works, it's great to see this guy doing the impossible.
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:08 am

Derpmind wrote:I like audiobooks in theory. But they don't work out for me because they're SO SLOW. And the voices always sound more realistic in my head. It's damn impressive that this person's done all of FoE on audiobook, and is crazy enough to give a crack at PH too, but I can't listen to a male voice narrating what is technically female narration. Also, and this is just my opinion, but a neutral voice for narration just doesn't work for me. It's supposed to be Blackjack's mental self-narration, and that should have personality behind it. Still, for everyone who an audiobook actually works, it's great to see this guy doing the impossible.
this is very much the case for me, especially if the narration doesn't sound like the voice I'd imagined (which is never), third person stories work better, especially if the reader has a smexy voice, and is good at voice acting
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:14 am

No one, NO ONE will remove my headcanon of P-21's voice being Ira Glass.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Retl on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:17 am

I pretty much rely on (primarily Text to Speech) audiobooks to get through all fanfiction, including Project Horizons. It's a lot harder for me to get stuck in a loop of reading one paragraph over and over until I abandon the story when the reader keeps going to the next thing before I've had time to get too puzzled on whatever detail.

Synthetic voices don't get stalled with the whole living thing. They also can't apply any accent I don't like to any particular character since they're all going to read it the same way. They also can't have microphone quality issues. Very little will get in the way of the story except text structure itself... or interpretation limits of whatever software is doing the reading.

That said, I like CR's reading of Project Horizons thus far.

(I posted MP3s and Youtube streams of Zamzar TtS of Project Horizons up to the current chapter. Come to think, I probably should have asked Somber's permission to do that before I shared it.)
Retl
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 6

Character List:
Name: Toy Bloon
Species: Earth Pony

http://Retl.info

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 am

Derpmind wrote:but I can't listen to a male voice narrating what is technically female narration.
Ah, yeah, that'd probably kill it for me, too.
I hate flat reads as well.
The speed issue, though, is not one for me. I read slow as it is, and audiobooks allow me to get through these stories while I do other stuff, which is key in my so often absurdly stressful life.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:27 am

[quote="swicked"]
Derpmind wrote:I hate flat reads as well.
agreed, flat reads just kill the immersion from the very outset, come across any good audiobooks, pony or otherwise?
the gold standard for pretty much all audiobooks for me is the reading of the Upheaval series by the one and only Forest Rain, his narration has raised my standards to the point where I can barely listen to anyone else. Link to playlist
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:42 am

As much as I like to see attempts at audiobooks, it's better suited to professionals by far.

Recording an audiobook is an exhausting process. Narrators, no matter their existing acting credentials, are trained heavily for the process. The medium they read from is heavily edited and modified pre-read to put emphasis on the right words and settings with key points scattered every other sentence (or more) to indicate what the proper diction should be.

Characters and narration are given specific voices to reduce listener confusion and have to be memorized until they become second nature. As a tool, an in-character recording of the actor is usually played back after a cut to let them get in the proper mindset. Sometimes these cuts and refocusing occur after single sentences, especially for group conversations.

Several hundred, if not thousand takes are performed to make sure the story is conveyed properly and the process for just one chapter can take up to 8 hours or more with many breaks in between because fatigue is so high and stressful on the voice, especially when dealing with multiple voices for characters. Better hope a character sounds the same at the end of the story as they did in the beginning, because that requires a retake.

Basically, if you've got literally no time to live a life and have several trained professionals with you, then you should consider doing an audio book. For a story as long as PH? Shit, you better be the damned best narrator in the freaking world to undertake that.

Hell, I notice in a lot of these amateur recordings that narration fatigue occurs within MINUTES of starting.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:48 am

[quote="stringtheory"]
swicked wrote:
Derpmind wrote:I hate flat reads as well.
agreed, flat reads just kill the immersion from the very outset, come across any good audiobooks, pony or otherwise?
the gold standard for pretty much all audiobooks for me is the reading of the Upheaval series by the one and only Forest Rain, his narration has raised my standards to the point where I can barely listen to anyone else. Link to playlist
I rather liked the bartimaeus trilogy, and the audiobooks for it actually really enhance the story, for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8FaYwJHHSw

The narrator has just such a perfect voice throughout the entire thing.

Edit:
To be honest, I never tried reading the colour of magic... I've only been doing the audiobook, but I rather like it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvRwcIf_Uqs

Last edited by swicked on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:51 am

Caoimhe wrote:*snip*
hate to go fanboy here, but you should really try Forest's readings, he was a professional voice actor (though he never got an agent, so it wasn't worth the effort), he does character specific voices for all the characters, maintains a consistant level of quality through out the narration, and once again is one of the few readers I can listen to, heck I've listened to worse professional narrations then his (note: EXTREMELY subjective opinion here)
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:57 am

swicked wrote:Ick, I dislike British accents.
...I don't think that I've ever heard someone say that before.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:00 am

O. Hinds wrote:
I have to agree, though I can see why someone could dislike a British accent, it's just so extremely rare, you're the first person that I 'know' to admit it
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:00 am

In any case, with my internet back up to speed, I found it!
33 was released in January of 2012, no earlier than the 22nd and no later than the 24th.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:03 am

Sindri wrote:Then there's the name; Brood of Coyotl would be easiest to interpret as children of Coyote, a traditional trickster/Meddler spirit, so there's almost certainly a connection to Discord.
In fact, Coyotl is the Nahuatl (Aztec) word for Coyote.

Interesting idea. I had assumed they were just an entire tribe that went in for extreme cyberization, but the blanks-with-robot-controls idea may be just freaky enough to work. I sort of doubt that Coyotl is another chaos spirit, though the star dream definitely leaves that possibility open. I'd tend to suspect a Zebra version of Doctor Robotnik, though.

...and if the zebras have their own Tree of Life at Dawn Bay, we may have another source for a new Blackjack body! Maybe that's what Discord's kiss is good for -- a one-time cloning at an appropriate facility. Get Out of Mutation Free. ("But we'll need a supply of Flux to make it work," Glory says. And then BJ starts puking up Flux.)
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:03 am

stringtheory wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
I have to agree, though I can see why someone could dislike a British accent, it's just so extremely rare, you're the first person that I 'know' to admit it
Um, okay...
This somehow sounds really ominous.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:06 am

Irish accents are the best. *flex*

stringtheory wrote:
Caoimhe wrote:*snip*
hate to go fanboy here, but you should really try Forest's readings, he was a professional voice actor (though he never got an agent, so it wasn't worth the effort), he does character specific voices for all the characters, maintains a consistant level of quality through out the narration, and once again is one of the few readers I can listen to, heck I've listened to worse professional narrations then his (note: EXTREMELY subjective opinion here)

I'll check 'em out for sure. I was basically scraping everything I learned from an interview I did ages ago with an actor coming off of an audiobook project. He described it as the most grueling, torturous event of his career and I can't help but subliminally hear all the things he talked about every time I listen to an audiobook.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:07 am

SilentCarto wrote:...and if the zebras have their own Tree of Life at Dawn Bay, we may have another source for a new Blackjack body! Maybe that's what Discord's kiss is good for -- a one-time cloning at an appropriate facility. Get Out of Mutation Free. ("But we'll need a supply of Flux to make it work," Glory says. And then BJ starts puking up Flux.)
And yet, at the same time, I can't imagine Discord giving her the chance to have a less interesting body than she already has.
She'd probably come out the other side made out of lemon squares.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:16 am

Caoimhe wrote:Irish accents are the best. *flex*
http://www.youtube.com/user/youspinmerightrounds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:22 am

I don't like amateur audiobooks. Some try to read flatly, and inevitably fill it with narm or just kill all impact. Some make up voices for the characters, which are rarely skilled and almost never appropriate. And of course most mix the two approaches, like the FoE reading a friend of mine has been listening to which tries to convey all the narration in a flat masculine voice and then suddenly switches to a terrible redneck accent for Calamity. I've yet to find a decent one, and even if I did reading is faster and gives me more information.
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by CD on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:03 am

O. Hinds wrote:In any case, with my internet back up to speed, I found it!
33 was released in January of 2012, no earlier than the 22nd and no later than the 24th.

I've been able to find it on EQ Daily around that date. The amount of feedback this story has gotten is indeed humongous.
CD
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 pm

Sindri wrote:Some make up voices for the characters, which are rarely skilled and almost never appropriate.

This is the biggest mistake. Voicing characters in audiobooks is an exercise in tonal diction. IE, it's to separate who's who using subtle nuance. If they try to disguise their voice too much they end up doing some one person show audio drama that sounds like a story for children since due to the pacing and (general lack of acting skills), every character sounds crazy and weird.

See, for instance, that one attempt at FoE with different actors with the dude that made Red Eye sound like fucking Snidley Whiplash.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:54 pm

So, having found the tracks from the two first Fallout games' OST [*], here's something :

Stable 99 "Trust in the Overmare; obey the Overmare."
Generic Hoofington Exterior
Hyppocratic Research
The Enclave's Base in Hoofington (I don't remember how it's called... "something-something Skyport" ?)
The Core / Hoofington's Tunnels
Chapel
Flank (at least the first time BJ got there)
Megamart (I'm a little unsure on this one, is Megamart bustling with enough activity to be compared with Fo1's Hub ?)
Harbingers

[*] : http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Vault+Archives/4421803

Last edited by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:04 pm

I've been willing to accept a lot of problems in audiobooks. It's because I don't see them as an alternative to reading, but as an alternative to whatever else I would be listening to while driving (news or talk radio, except perhaps for short trips). In fact, I'm not sure I've yet listened to an audiobook for which I had not already read the text version.

On voicing characters, I'm with Caoimhe; there's a lot of room to do it wrong (Whiplash Eye, I think, made it even harder for me to buy Red Eye as charismatic than when I only had to contend with the content and construction of his speeches), especially when accents are brought in. Sadly, I feel that in the context of pony fiction, I haven't had too much room to justify a distaste for inappropriate or illogical character accents ever since Shining Armor came on the scene at the end of season two.
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:The Enclave's Base in Hoofington (I don't remember how it's called... "something-something Skyport" ?)
The Rainbow Dash Skyport.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Thanks.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Bringing the AP round killing Big Macintosh topic back from the dead, I found the passage saying it was an Ironshod product that killed him, but it doesn't exist in the current revision of the chapter, just in the PDF I have.
Chapter 13 PDF wrote:
I winced as I leaned back, blinking at the amber letters. If the Marauders were shaken by Stonewing’s death, then the Loss of Big Macintosh must have destroyed them. The more I thought about it, the more it felt like his death, his sacrifice, had sent ripples through Equestria. Applejack had bitten off her cousin’s head over the bullet used, all the worse given it’d been one developed at Ironshod Farms R&D. Whoever that mare was in that memory by the lake, she’d been left all alone and pregnant. The Marauders hadn’t just lost their core, but each other as well.
Chapter 13 wrote:I winced as I leaned back, blinking at the amber letters. If the Marauders were shaken by Stonewing’s death, then the loss of Big Macintosh must have destroyed them. The more I thought about it, the more it felt like his death, his sacrifice, had sent ripples through Equestria. My thoughts drifted back to that mare in the memory by the lake, left all alone and pregnant with his child. The Marauders hadn’t just lost their core, but each other as well.

So that might explain some things. It was changed, for some reason.
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down