Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

S03E13 (Finale) Magical Mystery Cure

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: S03E13 (Finale) Magical Mystery Cure

Post by CamoBadger on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:40 pm

So...

Am I the only one that couldn't stop feeling like this was a forced (and extremely rushed) plot point done just for shiggles?

------------------
My stories: Cold as Ice   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains FiMFic Page   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains Hub Page
Thanks if you read any of them.

If you have a complaint of any kind, a question or a suggestion, please PM me about it and I will respond as quickly as I can.  

Last wrote:((Camo just likes to kill happiness.))

Well spank my flank and call me sexy!

Until next time, hugs and kisses.

~Miguel
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:48 pm

CamoBadger wrote:So...

Am I the only one that couldn't stop feeling like this was a forced (and extremely rushed) plot point done just for shiggles?
...yeah, you are. Everyone else thinks this was forced on Studio B by Hasbro, and it was done for marketing reasons.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 pm

swicked wrote:...by the way, is anyone at all curious why Starswirl the Bearded was working on a spell to create alicorns?
And if he really did fail to complete it?

I don't think it was to make alicorns. It seemed to be some kind of destiny related spell.

Now all we really know about Starswirl was that he was a very famous and powerful unicorn, but nothing else. The show implied the spell did what it did because the Element of Harmony was there, but we don't know if Starswirl even tried to cast the spell himself.

If he was powerful enough to cast it himself/ the Elements wasn't needed, then he probably ruined the lives of his friends and to paraphrase Celestia "Even Starswirl didn't know friendship like you do" and wasn't able to help them.

Or he he wasn't able to cast the spell in the first place and just gave up on it.

Just a few things bouncing around in my mind.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Or Starswirl had no friends and became Starswirl the Undying, terrible Lich villain of Season 4!
...One can dream

Seriously making an alicorn does not seem to be the intent of the spell, just the bending of reality. How we went from swapping the essences of people to turning Twilight into an alicorn is not exactly... clear....
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:59 pm

Cptadder wrote:Or Starswirl had not friends and became Starswirl the Undying, terrible Lich villain of Season 4!
...One can dream

I'll take this over anything I come up with any day. Maybe Twilight getting the spell "right" as everybody thinks is what awakens him from his slumber and attacks.

Anybody else think it was odd the whole town stayed angry until Pinkie went back to normal? I mean, it could have been from the fact the spell wasn't 100% broken at the time, but it implied they rely on Pinkie to keep everybody happy.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:

Anybody else think it was odd the whole town stayed angry until Pinkie went back to normal? I mean, it could have been from the fact the spell wasn't 100% broken at the time, but it implied they rely on Pinkie to keep everybody happy.
You forget the town had additional reasons to be angry. The weather being the big thing, if I went home and got lightning at, rained on and snowed on while it 90 degrees. That's enough to ruin anyone's day.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:35 pm

So I was sitting here thinking some more about the finale and how I felt about it.

Ya know... alicorn Twilight... Umm... other then the obvious of gaining the title of Princess and you know... wings... what changed? She's still Twilight. Just with Princess in front of her name and now has wings.

"Games Ponies Play" did more to change her with the "keep calm" breathing technique.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Well, for one, she has her own castle, now.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Yeah and it'll make a great playset when it comes out, but there's nothing saying she has to stay there. At least not during the day.

If they end up taking away her wings or not for season 4, I really don't see where it's going to matter. I could be underestimating stupidity again, but Twilight is a princess now because of the magic of friendship so it's unlikely they're going to separate her from the others.

I guess where I'm getting at is... the episode doesn't matter. At least to me. I don't hate it, I liked the songs and good with what happened in it..., but over all in terms of how I enjoy the show and everything about it, the episode doesn't add to or takes away anything for me.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:42 pm

So, have you guys heard, there's 5 more background ponies next season.
They're called Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash.

------------------
My stories: Cold as Ice   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains FiMFic Page   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains Hub Page
Thanks if you read any of them.

If you have a complaint of any kind, a question or a suggestion, please PM me about it and I will respond as quickly as I can.  

Last wrote:((Camo just likes to kill happiness.))

Well spank my flank and call me sexy!

Until next time, hugs and kisses.

~Miguel
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:If they end up taking away her wings or not for season 4, I really don't see where it's going to matter.
...the more I think about it, the less likely I think it is that they will.
I thought Cadence was going to be a one-shot, but once hasbro had their pink pony princess, they just started pushing her harder and harder.
Now they have the main character as a princess. They're making toys of it. Lots of toys.
If she just immediately loses them... no.
Just no, I don't think that's going to happen. Princess Sparkle from now until the show implodes.

Edit:
What if the show did change? What if Hasbro just kept feeling like they could do more and more?
What if it became about Twilight and Cadence? What if it turned into something flat-out barbie? Shopping and boys? Girl power and being a free spirit?

I mean, honestly, if they started driving this thing straight down the crapper I don't know how much I could take o_o

I don't really want to sound all doom and gloom, but it freaks me out to think about it. I like pony too much and what could honestly be done to fix this?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 am

Also :

http://derpiboo.ru/246285
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Tia on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:35 am

I just have to say, I absolutely lost it when Celestia started singing.

------------------

Happily Married to Rainbow D. Dash
Tia
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 7

Character List:
Name: RainbowJJP
Sex: Colt
Species: Pegasus

http://rainbowjjp.malware-site.www

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:41 am

Don't worry, what you're experiencing is called a "fangasm". It'll pass. Hopefully.

... Last time we had to call an exorcist...
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Just finished watching it. My continuity and logic are shot to heck. But as a standalone, it was fine-ish.

So was this the musical episode of the series or what? It went from song to song without stopping. Really felt rushed.
Things my borked brain was thinking:
1) How the world did Twilight cast that spell with seemingly no exertion at all? Is she that overpowered? There is no way a spell that alters reality like that can be so simply cast. Argleblargle
2) What was Celestia thinking sending that by post office? What happens if some non-existent malicious group got their hands on the package?
3) Is Twilight apparently the only one keeping them together or something? Because they apparently forgot about each other 'till she mentioned them.
4) Anyone reminded of Fo:E's Unity according to Somber with the screens and all?
5) They don't have tech reminiscent of screens. Why isn't Twilight asking questions at that point?

I'm so conflicted about this episode.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Late to the party. But nowhere else to gab about it.

I had problems with the finale. A lot at first, but less when I rewatched it a little less bitterly. Still not a fan. Did anyone else get bothered by the way Celly's mane moved like a gif on a sheet of cardboard at the end?

Anyways, other than the mane problem above I'm going to skip over most of the real issues that bugged me and focus on something irrelevant to the actual episode. Namely the (hopefully unintentional) implication that a person should only ever do one job for the entirety of their live-long lives. Now I realise that there were a few things to squish into the episode and the whole switcharoo wasn't the only focus. This, however, does nothing to stem the disappointment in how the whole thing was handled. Personally I would have really preferred something a little different. I'm not suggesting sticking to the switch- By all means go back to the status quo (barring, well, you know). But before getting back to things as normal but maybe it wouldn’t be the end of the world to suggest that, with a little nudge in the right direction, a person could discover new talent and make a life for themselves outside their comfort zone? Say that in place of each of the characters bumping each other aside, they provide the fundamentals their friends are missing and each of them can make their own ‘destiny’ from there?

Long long opinions on how each character could handle it and a picture:
Instead of RD just setting Rarity aside on the whole weather thing, Rarity learns the basics and the no-nos of weather manipulation (say... less blizzards). Once she knows how to avoid the constant draughts and snowstorms she begins more cautious experiments. Mixing swaths of cirrus clouds in the sky. The perfect pattern of snowfall in the winter. Perfecting the emergence of a rainbow from behind a white cloud after a heavy rain. So long as she doesn’t damage the citizens or the crops, the town happily lets her use the sky as a canvas and even allows some riskier ‘pieces’ outside the borders of town. Same Rarity, but instead of famous dresses she’s hoping to be recognized as a weather artist.

Now let’s say she can show AJ some basics on proper aesthetic design and shore up her craftsmanship. Surely that means that AJ is now free to apply this knowledge practically? Now she’ll be making rugs and carpets and curtains, and sewing flexible yet sturdy uniforms for those few working ponies that require it with less of the ‘burlap sack’ design? Perhaps. But honestly, why can’t she make something elegant? It’s the standard that one is either rough-and-tumble or elegant and fine. If you have a hardworking bone in your body, leave creativity and beauty to other people because it isn’t in your nature. This just bugs me. What is so wrong about someone with a practical bent having an appreciation of finery as well? Does she have to be making hard hats? Why not jewellery, necklaces and the like? Maybe it’s asking for too many morals in what is already an unreasonable demand. Maybe a cowgirl can sell a pretty ring and not be any less strong or independent for it.

Next up: Pinkie. Now if you think rock farming is silly, then replace each instance of ‘rock’ in the following paragraph with ‘potato’ or some equally earthy and useful fruit or veggie. Ahem.

Not knowing how to farm apples makes sense. Not knowing how to take care of the rest of the farm, however, has a few holes. Namely that she grew up on a farm. But even if AJ taught her the basics of farm maintenance, there is still something very important missing from the picture: anyone other than Pinkie. Apple Family seems to have skipped town in shame after AJ got some diamonds on her butt. But that shouldn’t leave Pinkie all alone. Picture this: The farm is in ruins (as it is in the ‘we are sad and things are bad’ montage). The trees are dead and Pinkie is there, alone, amidst a farm she can’t run solo. Carriage pulls up and out step some only vaguely familiar faces. Finally together, the Pies set to work to save the farm in the best way they know how. Before long, the very first Ponyville Rock Farm is up and running. For a moment Pinkie is back in familiar territory... but not everyone is in the same shape they used to be. When the father must step back to take a minor role, Pinkie is left in charge of the farm and her sisters, becoming the most eccentric landowner in the town. Though she’s still figuring out the responsibilities of management, the rock farm thrives under her positive attitude, limitless energy, and innovation.

Someone like that has something to teach a pegasus struggling with comedic timing. Now theoretically, Fluttershy might actually make a decent party planner. She’s shown to actually know a bit about style, and with a bit more knowledge she could arrange all manner of events to the best of their potential from behind the scenes, safe from prying eyes. But that’s not what I’d like to see. She’s shown to actually have a pretty quick and dry wit when the mood strikes her. Did you know that over-the-top funnymen Rob Williams and Jim Carrey self-identified as being intensely shy as children, using comedy to overcome their social fears? And they are far from the only examples. Yes, I am seriously suggesting that Fluttershy could have been a comedian. Seriously! There is obviously a very snide side of her which we have seen in extremes at least twice now. What if she could let that out on stage? Stage personality can be VERY different from the comedian’s actual personality. Who’s to say that she can’t let out her inner Flutterbitch on stage, where she knows all those harsh and nasty things she says will be harmlessly accepted or even welcomed, and lock her back in the shy-box when the curtains close? Or she could use something closer to home, with a quiet self-deprecation act. Or hell, go full Harpo Marx and don’t say a damn thing. Call me crazy but I could see it.

Now let’s say that RD could now learn some basics of animal care, along the lines of, ‘feed animals in your care.’ Now if she could keep care of the animals and earn back their respect, I would like to see a little more of coach Rainbow from May the Best Pet Win. Not content with pets and critters sleeping in all day, her cottage becomes a training facility. The animals within all end up as skilled performers. obedient pets, or useful beasts of burden. Word spreads and soon Rainbow is the town’s renowned animal trainer, when she isn’t taking forays into the Everfree forest just for kicks.

Now each life is switched to specifically exclude the character's innate talents and proclivities- in my opinion, this is all the more reason to show that your destiny is no rigid thing, and is subject to change. It's a very minor nit that I've picked with a full-bore automatic drill, but this really bugged me. This could have been its own thing, should have been its own thing, and I also forgot to use this picture. I guess I'll throw it at the start of the spoiler.

swicked wrote:...by the way, is anyone at all curious why Starswirl the Bearded was working on a spell to create alicorns?
One that channeled the power of the elements of harmony, the god-stoppers, to do so?

...and if he really did fail to complete it?
Twilight was working on a spell to create alicorns (sort of- she obviously didn't know what it was going to do). Starswirl was working on a spell involving changing destinies... one that was left incomplete... and he was forever after known as one of the most powerful magicians in history... with no understanding of close social ties... there is a thing here somewhere, I just don't know what.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
Long long opinions on how each character could handle it and a picture:
Instead of RD just setting Rarity aside on the whole weather thing, Rarity learns the basics and the no-nos of weather manipulation (say... less blizzards). Once she knows how to avoid the constant draughts and snowstorms she begins more cautious experiments. Mixing swaths of cirrus clouds in the sky. The perfect pattern of snowfall in the winter. Perfecting the emergence of a rainbow from behind a white cloud after a heavy rain. So long as she doesn’t damage the citizens or the crops, the town happily lets her use the sky as a canvas and even allows some riskier ‘pieces’ outside the borders of town. Same Rarity, but instead of famous dresses she’s hoping to be recognized as a weather artist.

Now let’s say she can show AJ some basics on proper aesthetic design and shore up her craftsmanship. Surely that means that AJ is now free to apply this knowledge practically? Now she’ll be making rugs and carpets and curtains, and sewing flexible yet sturdy uniforms for those few working ponies that require it with less of the ‘burlap sack’ design? Perhaps. But honestly, why can’t she make something elegant? It’s the standard that one is either rough-and-tumble or elegant and fine. If you have a hardworking bone in your body, leave creativity and beauty to other people because it isn’t in your nature. This just bugs me. What is so wrong about someone with a practical bent having an appreciation of finery as well? Does she have to be making hard hats? Why not jewellery, necklaces and the like? Maybe it’s asking for too many morals in what is already an unreasonable demand. Maybe a cowgirl can sell a pretty ring and not be any less strong or independent for it.

Next up: Pinkie. Now if you think rock farming is silly, then replace each instance of ‘rock’ in the following paragraph with ‘potato’ or some equally earthy and useful fruit or veggie. Ahem.

Not knowing how to farm apples makes sense. Not knowing how to take care of the rest of the farm, however, has a few holes. Namely that she grew up on a farm. But even if AJ taught her the basics of farm maintenance, there is still something very important missing from the picture: anyone other than Pinkie. Apple Family seems to have skipped town in shame after AJ got some diamonds on her butt. But that shouldn’t leave Pinkie all alone. Picture this: The farm is in ruins (as it is in the ‘we are sad and things are bad’ montage). The trees are dead and Pinkie is there, alone, amidst a farm she can’t run solo. Carriage pulls up and out step some only vaguely familiar faces. Finally together, the Pies set to work to save the farm in the best way they know how. Before long, the very first Ponyville Rock Farm is up and running. For a moment Pinkie is back in familiar territory... but not everyone is in the same shape they used to be. When the father must step back to take a minor role, Pinkie is left in charge of the farm and her sisters, becoming the most eccentric landowner in the town. Though she’s still figuring out the responsibilities of management, the rock farm thrives under her positive attitude, limitless energy, and innovation.

Someone like that has something to teach a pegasus struggling with comedic timing. Now theoretically, Fluttershy might actually make a decent party planner. She’s shown to actually know a bit about style, and with a bit more knowledge she could arrange all manner of events to the best of their potential from behind the scenes, safe from prying eyes. But that’s not what I’d like to see. She’s shown to actually have a pretty quick and dry wit when the mood strikes her. Did you know that over-the-top funnymen Rob Williams and Jim Carrey self-identified as being intensely shy as children, using comedy to overcome their social fears? And they are far from the only examples. Yes, I am seriously suggesting that Fluttershy could have been a comedian. Seriously! There is obviously a very snide side of her which we have seen in extremes at least twice now. What if she could let that out on stage? Stage personality can be VERY different from the comedian’s actual personality. Who’s to say that she can’t let out her inner Flutterbitch on stage, where she knows all those harsh and nasty things she says will be harmlessly accepted or even welcomed, and lock her back in the shy-box when the curtains close? Or she could use something closer to home, with a quiet self-deprecation act. Or hell, go full Harpo Marx and don’t say a damn thing. Call me crazy but I could see it.

Now let’s say that RD could now learn some basics of animal care, along the lines of, ‘feed animals in your care.’ Now if she could keep care of the animals and earn back their respect, I would like to see a little more of coach Rainbow from May the Best Pet Win. Not content with pets and critters sleeping in all day, her cottage becomes a training facility. The animals within all end up as skilled performers. obedient pets, or useful beasts of burden. Word spreads and soon Rainbow is the town’s renowned animal trainer, when she isn’t taking forays into the Everfree forest just for kicks.
Would you mind trying to fanfic that idea ? Pinkie Pie

One that channeled the power of the elements of harmony, the god-stoppers, to do so?

...and if he really did fail to complete it?
Twilight was working on a spell to create alicorns (sort of- she obviously didn't know what it was going to do). Starswirl was working on a spell involving changing destinies... one that was left incomplete... and he was forever after known as one of the most powerful magicians in history... with no understanding of close social ties... there is a thing here somewhere, I just don't know what.
I heard a theory that Discord is actually Starswirl the Bearded after he failed some... experiment.
Spoiler:
All the different animal parts he's made of ? That'd be his friends. Now they will always be together, for all of Eternity.
When Celestia said he didn't understand Friendship as Twilight does, it doesn't mean that he didn't have any friends...
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:17 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Would you mind trying to fanfic that idea ? Pinkie Pie
Well I've written a small essay on the alternative fortunes of candy coloured ponies. In for a penny...

Spoiler:
All the different animal parts he's made of ? That'd be his friends. Now they will always be together, for all of Eternity.
When Celestia said he didn't understand Friendship as Twilight does, it doesn't mean that he didn't have any friends...
Gur... buh? Huh... well...
I, for one, have my fingers crossed for a little more worldbuilding now.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Shed into a new light Discord's total change in attitude when he understood Fluttershy was the "first friend he ever had", eh ?
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:07 pm

Unrelated to the current discussion, but related to the episode :

http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art/One-Trick-Pony-355491985
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down