Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by swicked on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm

I know that was his original plan, too.
Glory is better than... I think it was Viper... though.
He kept her because he thought she was a better fit, and I'd agree. Glory makes a better match for BJ and the team, assuming her sister wouldn't have turned out just as small, timid, intelligent and quirky.
I think she balances the team, and I've never heard somber bemoan her before.
Can any of the editor's attest to if somber regrets Glory's existance?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Snipehamster on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 pm

swicked wrote:Glory is better than... I think it was Viper... though.
Dusk.

swicked wrote:Can any of the editor's attest to if somber regrets Glory's existance?
Not to my knowledge. Though in my opinion the fact that she originally didn't have a role planned out is becoming steadily more obvious.

Snipehamster
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 37

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:30 pm

P-21 hasn't really had a point in forever. Is worry about him being killed off if it wasn't for Scotch... who also doesn't have much point, Glory being better than her at nearly anything.
Together, though, I feel P-21 and Scotch form half a point, though I still think they could leave the group. They have a reason not to follow BJ... each other's safety.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 pm

swicked wrote:I know that was his original plan, too.
He kept her because he thought she was a better fit, and I'd agree. Glory makes a better match for BJ and the team, assuming her sister wouldn't have turned out just as small, timid, intelligent and quirky.

I think it's safe to say it's just a case of "grass is greener" mentality, if he had stuck with Dusk or whoever he would probably regret that for whatever reason.

@Somber crisis

This whole situation just makes me mad Scootaloo
Reminds me why I fucking hate 4chan and their mentality especially the MLP board board there, it's the only part of this fandom I truly hate. I wish Somber could be happy, because all of this criticism is just going to lead to stupid decisions, yes PH ain't perfect, and yes he deserves criticism for some of his decisions, but ajefgegwegweg

I don't know, I like this place better when it's Crazy and fun and sometimes heartwarming. That or random speculation.

Somber, just know that you and this story are still awesome despite it's flaws.

@Hugbox
Because you know, extreme negativity and uncontrollable bashing of anything less than perfect is far better than actually encouraging people to continue working and improve.

@Unicon chaos

I heard from one guy that they had a whole two hours of warning before they got thrown out, and the after parties were awesome. Hopefully Somber had a good time regardless.

Stay positive people.

Last edited by tylertoon2 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Snipehamster on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 pm

swicked wrote:P-21 hasn't really had a point in forever. Is worry about him being killed off if it wasn't for Scotch... who also doesn't have much point, Glory being better than her at nearly anything.
Together, though, I feel P-21 and Scotch form half a point, though I still think they could leave the group. They have a reason not to follow BJ... each other's safety.

One does have to question the sanity of a father leading his tween daughter into a hellhound den...

Snipehamster
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Snipehamster wrote:
swicked wrote:P-21 hasn't really had a point in forever. Is worry about him being killed off if it wasn't for Scotch... who also doesn't have much point, Glory being better than her at nearly anything.

One does have to question the sanity of a father leading his tween daughter into a hellhound den...

They at least had the good sense to keep her in Deus and besides apart from Tenpony or another heavily fortified settlement, there is no safer place for her than between some of the biggest bad-asses of the wasteland that would put her protection above almost anything. Not to mention after the last attack, the last thing they want to do is leave her where she could be kidnapped or killed.
tylertoon2
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:41 pm

...and what role did Dusk have that isn't being filled by Glory?
I thought a dashite was always supposed to be part of the fic.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:42 pm

...and what role did Dusk have that isn't being filled by Glory?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Snipehamster on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm

swicked wrote:...and what role did Dusk have that isn't being filled by Glory?

No idea. Glory's introduction was long before my time.

Snipehamster
Stallion/Mare

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:45 pm

Snipehamster wrote:
swicked wrote:...and what role did Dusk have that isn't being filled by Glory?

No idea. Glory's introduction was long before my time.

I don't know, maybe he just wanted to prove he could kill off a major character?
tylertoon2
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 pm

RETCON RETCON RETCON.

While FoE did a great deal of worldbuilding, much of that was setting creation. Kkat had two main things to do with the backstory: Explain how the apocalypse happened, which was done mostly through the mane 6, and set up lots of Chekhov's guns and other plot devices. And yes, that's a lot of stuff. But there's whole acres of uncovered territory in the original story. Heck, the holes made the world seem bigger! We only have sparse details about Broken Hoof despite how important it is. Rainbow Dash and the Ministry of Awesome is the most obvious example, but there's just so much that's ambiguous, questionable or unknown. Take a look at our forum everyone, why do we do so much speculation over everything? It's because the mysteries are fun! We're not here to nitpick that a memory orb in PH contradicts a character's idle speculation in FoE, we're here to have fun! All those mysteries were there before, and Somber's amazing at tunneling into them and making finding more.

If a chapter's written that has some kind of mistake or that some of us dislike, it's not the end of the world (again.) We're here to have fun. We find this story beyond entertaining. If Somber really does mess up, then we should help him fix it and have fun with it anyways. PH is a serial story, and as such of course it could improve with some revisions, but those can come later. There are no stone walls that would require that the story be stopped. I'm looking forward to our hearing how Somber rephrases our WTF moment to the Security group's collective WTF moment. I'm looking forward to the Legate's unlikely sob story. And if some months from now the story gets some heavy edits, well, all the better for the future.

Snipehamster wrote:Though in my opinion the fact that she originally didn't have a role planned out is becoming steadily more obvious.
If that was ever 'obvious' in the story it's long past that point. Even without the Killing Joke, Glory's had so many important in this story that a list would be very tedious to bring out. Maybe it seems different from your perspective as an editor somehow, but as a reader I'm just not seeing what you're saying. And if it was hard to make her have a relevant role then all the better for doing such a good job of it.
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 pm

So, like. I know hinds emailed him but Somber isn't stranded, is he? I can throw him some cash if he needs, assuming he has a Paypal card to use it with.

How the fuck can convention managers be that incompetent? Holy hell.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:07 pm

swicked wrote:I know that was his original plan, too.
Not as far as I know.

Derpmind wrote:
Snipehamster wrote:Though in my opinion the fact that she originally didn't have a role planned out is becoming steadily more obvious.
If that was ever 'obvious' in the story it's long past that point. Even without the Killing Joke, Glory's had so many important in this story that a list would be very tedious to bring out. Maybe it seems different from your perspective as an editor somehow, but as a reader I'm just not seeing what you're saying. And if it was hard to make her have a relevant role then all the better for doing such a good job of it.
I don't really see this either.

@Swicked:
You seem to be doubleposting.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Caoimhe wrote:So, like. I know hinds emailed him but Somber isn't stranded, is he? I can throw him some cash if he needs, assuming he has a Paypal card to use it with.

How the fuck can convention managers be that incompetent? Holy hell.
I've not heard anything back from him yet. Perhaps I ought to request his cellphone number for situations like this...
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Somber wrote:I just got home. I'm exhausted, depressed, and broke. If the trend
continues, I expect to discover I'm fired tomorrow. I also read the
4chan comments and the comments in the forum and it looks like I
botched PH. I haven't been so discouraged to continue since ch 37 of
FoE came out.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm

I sure hope that's self depreciating motivation he's working with there. Be well, kiddo.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
FoE came out.

Tyler.Exe has stopped working, please reboot and try again
tylertoon2
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 pm

@Hinds ...I seriously have no idea why my phone double-posts so often.
It's frequently stopped due to the first post preventing the second as it qualifies as a "new post" to review before posting. But sometimes it doesn't.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:34 pm

FoE came out.

...Fuck.

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:46 pm

I just hope that's just the exhaustion from the con speaking.

While I have no authority or power to enforce this, I request that we just drop the current discussions. There are those of us here who enjoyed the last chapter and there are those who didn't, up to and including members of the brushing team and I think we can agree on that.

Other then that, we've been at this for over a week and the only real thing of note that's changed since the beginning has been Sniperhamster going "This is how I would have written PH if it was my story."

People bring up something they don't like, somebody else brings up justification for why it's like that and repeat. The place has gone stagnate and it's not moving forward.

I wish Somber well. I hope he can get over this weekend and its events and can continue on. As I said before, I've stuck by PH for over 50 chapters, I'm willing to give Somber some leeway at times. And while I didn't have too much of a problem with the last chapter, that doesn't mean I never had a problem with any others before. But I kept with it and those problems got corrected over the course of the story as a whole.

I know not everybody can do that, but please, can we drop everything right now, and just wait and see what comes next?
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Somber wrote:Well the con was good.  Once I got out of my friday slump, saturday
was awesome.  De Lancie was great, and I got to talk to some
screenwriters and [REDACTED] and... then
everything broke down.  The vendors were almost running for the hills
when they heard that the hotel was going to try and fine them.  There
were one or two small panels.  Then I was told I could either stay,
sign a paper, and be charged double or I could be evicted, fined
almost two hundred dollars, and charged double anyway.  It was just a
disaster.

And I got a 200 dollar ticket on the way down, so... damn it... no show for me.

So yeah.  I'm not broke broke YET.  I'll be down to my last 1-2
hundred dollars after bills are paid at the end of the month, but it's
going to suck until my next paycheck.
Redaction mine by Somber's request. :)
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:57 pm

So... anyway. Now that I'm home, I can post on this forum. That was why I was saying things on 4chan. I couldn't log into this one on my phone.

So. The con. The story as I understand it was that the con counted on a lot of attendees. Like 800-1000 or so. When they didn't get enough ticket sales, they allowed people to put down a "reservation" or something in lieu of payment. Big mistake. Instead of cancelling, which would have sucked, they went ahead thinking they could drum up enough money to cover the difference. Bigger mistake.

Then the Hotel found out and asked for ALL of their money, now, saturday night. The con organizers folded like wet tissue. They con was basically taken over by the media guys, but by then we were past the critical point. Anyone with a room through the con was threatened to be evicted, which included ALL the VA's, unless they could pay out of pocket. All the airfare went to the hotel, so the VA's had to pay again. The fund drive was to get the VA's home, and I hope it was successful. I understand anyone with a room reserved through the con, and I'm not sure who did and didn't count, had to pay full price. Like yours truly. Oh, and if I didn't pay, they would have evicted me and charged me anyway. Yeah. Thanks, Rivera.

The tragedy is the con itself was pretty enjoyable. Oh, I had an emotional dive Friday afternoon at the concert, but once I got past that, Saturday was good. With a little panel improvement for writers and artists, it would have been even better.

So yes... the lesson is... if your con counts on having 1000 attendees, and you only get 600, don't continue on gambling on the 400 to materialize out of nowhere. You'll go bust... big time.
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:57 pm

For the record I still haven't finished the chapter :P

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Somber wrote:Well the con was good.  Once I got out of my friday slump, saturday
was awesome.  De Lancie was great, and I got to talk to some
screenwriters and [REDACTED] and... then
everything broke down.  The vendors were almost running for the hills
when they heard that the hotel was going to try and fine them.  There
were one or two small panels.  Then I was told I could either stay,
sign a paper, and be charged double or I could be evicted, fined
almost two hundred dollars, and charged double anyway.  It was just a
disaster.

And I got a 200 dollar ticket on the way down, so... damn it... no show for me.

So yeah.  I'm not broke broke YET.  I'll be down to my last 1-2
hundred dollars after bills are paid at the end of the month, but it's
going to suck until my next paycheck.
Redaction mine by Somber's request. :)

Well looks like we have an opportunity to do some good here folks.

Lets get some donations going!

Unfortunately do to my age and parents and what not I cannot Directly contribute, but I was planning on buying some money on steam soon. Soooooo...

Whoever can donate the most wins a twenty dollar game on steam of their choosing! Bare in mind it might take me sometime to get the card, but I should be able to before the end of the month. So go at it! Get those paypal accounts rolling!

@Somber

Glad to hear you've enjoyed some of the event anyway. They really need to get better people on board to organize such things...
tylertoon2
Hydra

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Git'r'done.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:14 pm

I know what I'll do when work ends tomorrow.
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Somber:
I don't think you "flubbed" the chapter at all. I can't disagree more strongly with the people complaining about it. While snipe might have some valid points, they are in general minor issues of structure or overall characterization and have little to do with the current chapter.

And really, when I start seeing "if it were my story" followed by vast changes to the plot, I kind of tune out. It's not anyone's story but yours, and I'm here to read what you wrote, not what anyone else thinks would be better or less "anime" (whatever that means to them). I might even dislike a certain story element, but if I do, that's MY issue. It's not your responsibility to ensure I love every word. My favorite books have bits that make me roll my eyes. Doesn't mean the story is bad or wrong.

My personal reaction to the Legate was "WHAT?! Oh, hax! What is this?!" But it isn't aimed at you, the author. I trust your ability to tell a story. I'm not saying "I don't understand this, what's wrong with you". I'm saying "I don't understand this, what could it mean? Is the Legate an immortal? Is he THE immortal? Is he lying about the Caesar's dominion over the elements? What's up with that armor?" And so on. My dismay is the dismay of the characters learning there's always a bigger fish, not throwing away a book in a fit of pique.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is -- believe in yourself. We'll still be here to read it no matter what 4chan thinks.

And no, kipper, I won't be having any respect for 4chan. Sorry.

Last edited by FeatherDust on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:28 pm

To speak in crude terms, 4chan is like the Black Hole of the internet, a singularity of the worst the 'net has to offer ; instead that in lieu of being a black hole you could more accurately picture it as a giant asshole suffering from a severe case of explosive diarrhea, directing the foulest humors of its intestines to all it can reach.

Always.

Forever.

What I mean is, don't pay attention to anything 4chan has to say. That'd be silly.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:54 pm

4chan is the "internet hate machine"(tm). I think it's sufficient to just call it that.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Due to the magic of free textbooks for Java programming (don't blame them for my errors, that's just being used to Eclipse and its magical, magical highlighting of screwups - the downside of cybernetic systems is that they work crappily when separated) I have some extra cash. So, yeah, is this a thing we're doing?

Also, Somber, please don't get too down about this latest chapter. I doubt anyone who's committed to reading PH is going to stop reading, whatever their reaction, and I also don't think anyone thinks that any perceived problems with it outweigh all the amazing work you've put into this story. I certainly don't. I mean, I also thought that the chapter was highly entertaining and did not see more than a few flaws in it, none of which were the big two topics people are focusing on, but even if I did, I am not one to throw babies out with bathwater, and I doubt many others are, either. I trust you on this, in that you've either got a plan that's gonna kick ass, or that you can make whatever changes you decide to make to said plan work, and work well. You always have.

Please say if you're in need of money, and know that we do, ultimately, have your back.
Overlong Analysis Cobalt
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top