Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Somber on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:02 pm

I really do miss folks like Sindri and Derpmind and others. But I'm guilty of it myself. I remember coming in here and posting two, three, or four times a day. Now it's exceptional if I do it once a week. For a time it was simply because everyone else was so chatty that I didn't feel like I could add to it. I do miss their feedback though. Feedback is the most precious thing to me... telling me what works and what didn't. Ideas. Suggestions. Even wild mass guesses that prove frustratingly accurate.
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:03 pm

They may come back some day.

Flood their PM boxes and all that.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:09 pm

@people who have been gone for a while.
Kim is also missing, but she'll be back. She always does come back.

@Loopy Cantercorns.
They certainly weren't normal. Wearing the bones of their 'progenitor' was weird enough. And they were using blood magic, and I think Littlepip did at some point in Canterlot as well. Alicorns don't usually use that magic, IIRC.
I'm getting the feeling I'm getting a few mix-ups in there.
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:27 pm

If memory serves about the Cantercorns, something about the city caused them to break free or just cut them off from the Goddess' control.

Only two of note was the one in the kitchen that I'm guessing was based off Dog/God from the New Vegas DLC Dead Money since it was arguing with itself and eventually blew itself up.

The other was the apparent leader of the Cantercorns, who used blood magic granted by the Black Book and was wearing Luna's bones.

Just throwing this out there, and I don't remember if it was explained in story or not, but I'm going with a mix between the Pink Cloud's necromancy magic, the presence of the killer signal from the radios and the influence of the Black Book cause them to be, the way they are.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:Just throwing this out there, and I don't remember if it was explained in story or not, but I'm going with a mix between the Pink Cloud's necromancy magic, the presence of the killer signal from the radios and the influence of the Black Book cause them to be, the way they are.
I don't think the pink cloud causes anyone to be anything but dead, really... It's just poison. Some ponies in its influence learn to manipulate it, like the filly with the pink cloud cutie mark, but it doesn't really do anything else.
The sound from the radios did drown out the goddess, iirc.
It was just the black book that could teach that blood magic... which begs the question, why didn't the black book want to meet the goddess? It's got its own consciousness, it wants to be used, were all the alicorns it meant so messed up it could influence them no more than to teach then a couple new spells? Because, otherwise, I'd of thought it'd want them to take it to their goddess.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Sindri still come here from time to time IIRC, but Random Blank I haven't seen around here in a long while.
The last time I remember seeing Random Blank was when he was last mentioned. We were having a discussion on something and I said Ask Red Eye covered the topic once, I think, and some time later he posted a link to the entry.
I think he may occasionally lurk.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:48 pm

In a round about way it was from the Pink Cloud that the radios where making that sound, but other then heavy concentration of Pink Cloud the radios where the only thing different about Canterlot.

I was grasping for straws and grabbed the different ones.

For whatever reason I gonna say the Black Book is kinda like the One Ring but not picky on who owns it. It corrupts the owner and makes them possessive and protective of it, in hopes somebody more powerful will come along and kill them and take possession of it. No fun if it's just handed over to the strongest around.

Cut off from the Goddess, the alicorns fell pray to it, the leader probable getting in her mind that she could be just as powerful as the Goddess if not more so if she kept it.

Once Littlepip got it, the book was tempting her with it's power, getting her to use the blood magic. Just that Littlepip had main character plot armor which helped stave off the corruption so she could destroy it.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:51 pm

swicked wrote:
Moodyman90 wrote:Just throwing this out there, and I don't remember if it was explained in story or not, but I'm going with a mix between the Pink Cloud's necromancy magic, the presence of the killer signal from the radios and the influence of the Black Book cause them to be, the way they are.
The sound from the radios did drown out the goddess, iirc.
It was just the black book that could teach that blood magic... which begs the question, why didn't the black book want to meet the goddess? It's got its own consciousness, it wants to be used, were all the alicorns it meant so messed up it could influence them no more than to teach then a couple new spells? Because, otherwise, I'd of thought it'd want them to take it to their goddess.
The radio thing makes sense, as the Goddess' presence manifests in voice, which would be disrupted by evil magic speakers.
The book might have seduced them with power the Goddess couldn't offer: Necromancy. Even if it did tell them to take it to the Goddess, then they might have ignored it in favor of keeping it for themselves.
I specifically remember Littlepip learning blood manipulation on the fly, using telekinesis.
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Wow, I just had a interesting thought. Imagine what would have happened if twilight and trixie's talk when the bombs fell was delayed Like if Twilight stopped five seconds to get a sparkle cola from a vending machine and instead of trixie standing above the vats it was twilight. The wasteland would be a completely different place.
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 5

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Retl on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Indeed it could be. Wonder if anyone's going to write a story on that possible divergence.

Unrelated: Early in Project Horizons, the stable is described just a step away from completely failing and taking everyone in it with it. I have to question if that's a trait Blackjack effectively inherited from the environment, seeing how she screwed up early in, nearly broke then, then screwed up again and stayed borderline stable since.

Then again, she had more extra chances than her stable ever did.

Last edited by Retl on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Too short to be meaningful contribution to discussion. Added additional ponderings.)
Retl
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 6

Character List:
Name: Toy Bloon
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

http://Retl.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Given her cutie marks represent a game of chance and gamble, maybe that means that getting away with gambits through sheer luck is her special talent ? Spike
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Given her cutie marks represent a game of chance and gamble, maybe that means that getting away with gambits through sheer luck is her special talent ? Spike
this is now my new headcanon
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Retl wrote:Indeed it could be. Wonder if anyone's going to write a story on that possible divergence.

Unrelated: Early in Project Horizons, the stable is described just a step away from completely failing and taking everyone in it with it. I have to question if that's a trait Blackjack effectively inherited from the environment, seeing how she screwed up early in, nearly broke then, then screwed up again and stayed borderline stable since.

Then again, she had more extra chances than her stable ever did.
That would be a pretty good idea for a fanfic. Like a alternate universe fallout equestria. It would be a even more bloody equestria cause no goddess means no red eye doesn't have alicorn backup meaning no manehatten raider town and no lacunae. It would be the enclave and red eye literally fighting to the death until both sides are completely dead and everyone getting boned in the end cause a power vacuum in already a post apocalyptic wasteland is not good. At least with the original littlepip was able to fill the power vacuum of red eye and the enclave when they were destroyed, not with that parallel timeline. That would be cool idea of equestria with no SPP and no elements of harmony megaspell and no alicorns.

It could be. If she was taught how to keep it together even when things are screwed up from early on it would explain her high resilience.

Last edited by CannonFodder on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Retl on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Given her cutie marks represent a game of chance and gamble, maybe that means that getting away with gambits through sheer luck is her special talent ? Spike

Sweet Celestia! That simply has to be it!
Retl
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 6

Character List:
Name: Toy Bloon
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

http://Retl.info

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Somber wrote:Even wild mass guesses that prove frustratingly accurate.

How many times has this happened and whose done it? I'm curious to know.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Kippershy wrote:

How many times has this happened and whose done it? I'm curious to know.

I'm curious as well. Don't even have to mention anything about anything in future chapters, there's enough behind us there's got to be plenty of examples from them.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:36 pm

. . . Sorry, I'm just such a massive bookworm of fiction that unless spaghetti men from mars invade chances are I can tell where a story is going. Seriously people find it annoying whenever they go to the movies with me cause I'll hold up three fingers, two fingers, one finger and then a jump scare or a surprise happens in the movie.
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:38 pm

CannonFodder wrote:
. . . Sorry, I'm just such a massive bookworm of fiction that unless spaghetti men from mars invade chances are I can tell where a story is going. Seriously people find it annoying whenever they go to the movies with me cause I'll hold up three fingers, two fingers, one finger and then a jump scare or a surprise happens in the movie.

But they telegraph jump scares so badly these days. You don't even need to count down.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Caoimhe wrote:almost like something you'd tell an upset child that learned his/her fav character died off screen for comfort.
Quite amusing that you should phrase it that way, since my favorite character died off screen.

Somber wrote:
*hugs*

And I'm sorry...
Spoiler:
http://wavemasterryx.tumblr.com/post/42233891985
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 pm

WavemasterRyx wrote:
Spoiler:
Single most fitting piece of artwork to summarize project horizons ever! Also if that were real the glass had better be shatter proof and explosion resistant.
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:16 pm

WavemasterRyx wrote:
Caoimhe wrote:almost like something you'd tell an upset child that learned his/her fav character died off screen for comfort.
Quite amusing that you should phrase it that way, since my favorite character died off screen.

Spoiler:
My friend who read the story chose Strawberry Lemonade as his favorite character after Steelhooves died. When she died, he was apparently hysterical.

Nice picture by the way. That star up there is probably laughing at Blackjack.
Ketchup
The Condiment

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Meleagridis wrote:About those Cantercorns. I may be recalling this incorrectly, but I'm fairly certain that there isn't any evidence saying they regressed to pre-Goddess identities. It is debatable that the people they became might have resembled their past selves, but I don't recall anything supporting that.

I think they just went loopy.
The ones in Zebratown specifically noted they were starting to remember their former identities now that they were cut off from the Goddess. One of them mentioned she remembered she used to be male the previous night. You also had Flask (the God/Dog alicorn in the MAS basement), who recovered her cutie mark and may well have recalled some of her former life. That said, Nightseer probably is the best analog for Lacunae, since she developed a whole new personality after being cut off from the Goddess.

swicked wrote:I don't think the pink cloud causes anyone to be anything but dead, really... It's just poison.
Nope, it had the specific effect of blocking alicorn telepathy. Alicorns are otherwise immune to it, or at least resistant. The alicorns could safely walk around Canterlot Castle unprotected, but Flask had to get some of the Canterlot dragonlings to deliver the spell-in-a-box because she couldn't get close enough to the dragon to cast the field mouse spell directly. So presumably there exists some concentration of Pink that will harm them as well.

swicked wrote:It was just the black book that could teach that blood magic... which begs the question, why didn't the black book want to meet the goddess? It's got its own consciousness, it wants to be used, were all the alicorns it meant so messed up it could influence them no more than to teach then a couple new spells? Because, otherwise, I'd of thought it'd want them to take it to their goddess.
The black book was locked in Rarity's desk, remember? It didn't have much of an opinion one way or the other, but Trixie specifically needed Calamity (to manipulate the cloud mechanisms) and Littlepip (to pick the lock) in order to retrieve it.

CannonFodder wrote:Wow, I just had a interesting thought. Imagine what would have happened if twilight and trixie's talk when the bombs fell was delayed Like if Twilight stopped five seconds to get a sparkle cola from a vending machine and instead of trixie standing above the vats it was twilight. The wasteland would be a completely different place.
That assumes it was chance that the bomb went off at that moment. I don't believe in that kind of coincidence.

The Zebras were on the verge of losing the war, and they knew it. Equestria was about to crack the secret of bypass spells, which would make their in-situ spellcasting overwhelmingly powerful on the battlefield. The Ministry of Image was experimenting with the blackest of black magic. And worst of all, Twilight's alicorn project was on the very eve of coming to fruition. They had smuggled a bomb into Maripony itself -- or more likely into the Diamond Dog tunnels beneath -- which means they had a very good idea of what and where, and it's a bit much to think they didn't also know when. The missile strike against Cloudsdale and the Manehattan bomb bracketed the first alicorn test within minutes! That's no coincidence. I have no doubt that the experiment was being observed by a cloaked zebra assassin, who was tasked to pull the trigger and destroy the entire project at the worst possible moment. And when would that be? When the test subject was walking across a flimsy catwalk. That way, the subject would be dead (supposedly) even if they could somehow manage to fill the goblet and levitate it back across the room after the bomb went off.

Last edited by SilentCarto on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:30 pm

WavemasterRyx wrote:

Somber wrote:
*hugs*

And I'm sorry...
Spoiler:

This is...uh...wow. Ryx, you've outdone yourself with this. This is easily my favorite image of BJ now up there with Fore Trekker's "Reaper."

I'm not sure if this is quite big enough to work as a wallpaper for my phone but I think I'll give it a shot.
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm

@Ryx
Those stained glass drawings are gorgeous, well done.
Overlong Analysis Cobalt
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:36 pm

@Ryx,
Those are amazing. Great job, Ryx.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name: Azure Sunrise
Sex: female
Species: Hippogryph

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 pm

I can never post enough how much I love Ryxarts. :)

Anyway since I don't have anything to complain about (other than this boring Super Bowl), I'd love to eventually hear about abandoned plot ideas for PH if Somberino would ever wish to share. Eeeeeee
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:58 am

SilentCarto wrote:That assumes it was chance that the bomb went off at that moment. I don't believe in that kind of coincidence.

The Zebras were on the verge of losing the war, and they knew it. Equestria was about to crack the secret of bypass spells, which would make their in-situ spellcasting overwhelmingly powerful on the battlefield. The Ministry of Image was experimenting with the blackest of black magic. And worst of all, Twilight's alicorn project was on the very eve of coming to fruition. They had smuggled a bomb into Maripony itself -- or more likely into the Diamond Dog tunnels beneath -- which means they had a very good idea of what and where, and it's a bit much to think they didn't also know when. The missile strike against Cloudsdale and the Manehattan bomb bracketed the first alicorn test within minutes! That's no coincidence. I have no doubt that the experiment was being observed by a cloaked zebra assassin, who was tasked to pull the trigger and destroy the entire project at the worst possible moment. And when would that be? When the test subject was walking across a flimsy catwalk. That way, the subject would be dead (supposedly) even if they could somehow manage to fill the goblet and levitate it back across the room after the bomb went off.
You're assuming it was a cloaked zebra. That theory immediately falls through the floor with basic physics. THAT close to the vats and there would be nothing left from a megaspell detonation. While the crater at maripony means they got extremely close they did not thread the needle. Maripony was designed to withstand a megaspell even if it was that close, otherwise there would be nothing left. If when the first bomb went off it had hit directly on top of maripony chances are there would be nothing left. Basically what I'm getting at is if you want to level a base capable of withstanding a nuclear strike then you drop the bomb RIGHT on top of it, not close enough, not enough to kill everyone, but RIGHT on top of the building.
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:04 am

There is another problem with your theory SilentCarto
FoE explicitly states it was a balefire missile that took out Maripony and we see the giant surface crater above the labs.

And a third problem
Mairpony was well known enough to be known, ala the Naval Science Labs in Washington DC or Los Alamos National Labratories. Even if they don't have a cloaked zebra brushing Twilight's mane as she sleeps it's still well known enough to end up on any kind of major service list for strategic weapons.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by BrentOGara on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:03 am

Cptadder wrote:...a cloaked zebra brushing Twilight's mane as she sleeps...

This is now my most disturbing thought. Perhaps I don't need to sleep tonight.

As for SilentCarto's theory, it's clear from Blackjack's dreams of Psalm that it was ponies who fired the first megaspells. Adding in what BJ learned from the computers in the nuthouse, and it's clear that Garnet and Horse were part of a group of ponies that planned and executed the end of civilization for their own petty reasons. They even used poor crazy Jetstream to deliver a megaspell targeting talisman to Roam (and not to aim a teleport spell!), with a window of activation of only a few days... indicating they had a (relatively) tight time-table, and were intent on launching the megaspells for a specific purpose at a specific time. The ponies who killed the Cakes and ransacked the Museum knew to the minute how much time was left until the spells launched.

I agree that someone didn't want Twi to successfully create Alicorns, and timed the apocalypse to prevent it, but it was Ponies, not Zebras who had their hooves on the button.

BrentOGara
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Boing on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:31 am

I agree with everything you wrote SilentCarto, but this:

SilentCarto wrote:
CannonFodder wrote:Wow, I just had a interesting thought. Imagine
what would have happened if twilight and trixie's talk when the bombs
fell was delayed Like if Twilight stopped five seconds to get a sparkle
cola from a vending machine and instead of trixie standing above the
vats it was twilight. The wasteland would be a completely different
place.
That assumes it was chance that the bomb went off at that moment. I don't believe in that kind of coincidence.

Seems to me it was a complete coincidence that the missile struck at that exact moment. The zebras likely knew what tests were being done and on what day, but I think their only intent was to destroy the facility, research and everypony there. That the bomb set off a chain of events that created the goddess and who was at it's heart was fully unforseen.

Oh, and...
SilentCarto wrote:
swicked wrote:It was just the black book that could teach that blood
magic
... which begs the question, why didn't the black book want to meet
the goddess? It's got its own consciousness, it wants to be used, were
all the alicorns it meant so messed up it could influence them no more
than to teach then a couple new spells? Because, otherwise, I'd of
thought it'd want them to take it to their goddess.
The black
book was locked in Rarity's desk, remember? It didn't have much of an
opinion one way or the other, but Trixie specifically needed Calamity
(to manipulate the cloud mechanisms) and Littlepip (to pick the lock) in
order to retrieve it.
There are other mentions of necromantic magic in both FOE and PH and the black book's time is mostly accounted. There's pink cloud, perhaps balefire, as well as others. If I remember rightly Lacunae at one point mentions that there might be another black tome in Hoofington as her reason for being there. The Starkatteri(sp?) were legendary in zebra culture and it seems to me their forbidden knowledge was increasingly used (secretly I'm sure) as the war continued and the zebras became more desperate.

Also, hello all. Nice to find a good place to discuss FOE stuff.
Boing
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 am

CannonFodder wrote:Single most fitting piece of artwork to summarize project horizons ever! Also if that were real the glass had better be shatter proof and explosion resistant.
Heh, Well thank you Cannon! Yes, shatter proof, explosion resistant, taint proof, and it would have to taste better than the ballistics glass in Hightower. I'm certain Blackjack would want that most.
Ketchup wrote:My friend who read the story chose Strawberry Lemonade
as his favorite character after Steelhooves died. When she died, he was
apparently hysterical.
Nice picture by the way. That star up there is probably laughing at Blackjack.
*nods* Yeah, SteelHooves and Strawberry Lemonade are my two favorite characters in FoE. Both their deaths hit me really hard... SteelHooves wasn't as bad because I'd been spoiled to it, and had time to prepare myself... But Strawberry... I think I cried all night and most of the next day... If you ever get a chance, please offer your friend my sympathy.
I'm very glad you liked the picture though. Who knows how the star feels, maybe it just wants to give Blackjack advice on mid-air spins!
Vergil wrote:This is...uh...wow. Ryx, you've outdone yourself with
this. This is easily my favorite image of BJ now up there with Fore
Trekker's "Reaper."
I'm not sure if this is quite big enough to work as a wallpaper for my phone but I think I'll give it a shot.
Well thank you, sir, I'm honored that you think so highly of it.
I do apologize for it not being bigger, I just have trouble working with larger canvases, but I do hope that it works out for you still.
Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:Those stained glass drawings are gorgeous, well done.
Guarddogjr wrote:Those are amazing. Great job, Ryx.
Caoimhe wrote:I can never post enough how much I love Ryxarts. :)
Thank you all, very much!

Boing wrote:Also, hello all. Nice to find a good place to discuss FOE stuff.
Welcome to the forum, Boing.
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 375

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top