Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

S03E10 Keep Calm and Flutter On

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

S03E10 Keep Calm and Flutter On

Post by Cptadder on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:21 am

New episode in a few hours. EQ Daily Stream link
Youtube link when we get one

Can't want for the return of Discord, should be a fun twenty two minutes of reality bending madness.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E10 Keep Calm and Flutter On

Post by Cptadder on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:04 pm

My thoughts
Mr Beaver Beaverton? Why Do I feel like there is a the 3rd or the 9th that Fluttershy was leaving out of that.
So Celestia calls Discord evil, interesting point of view since he's Chaos which is neither good nor evil much like how order is not good nor evil just a state of being.
Also evil bunny and evil squirrel were hilarious, but evil beavers will be great

Second commercial break
So many visual gags, discord eating spells, making the cottage rotate, Angel bunny not taking this shit and a tiny bit of Discord feels

And that's the end
Best episode?
No, it's a functional one, I like the idea of reforming Discord but I dislike the fact they keep calling what he did evil. He's chaos not evil, neither good nor evil he simply is. Also I felt the 22 minute format limited things as the befriending itself was sudden, even if Dapper Discord was a fun dinner guest and the shear number of puns per minute were amusing. The most amusing thing was the end bit with Fluttershy saying Discord could be a good friend once you get to no him only for everyone to wince from Celestia on down.

OAN Spike can skate pretty well and what does the future of Discord hold?
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Necr0maNceR on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 pm

I agree that Discord's change seemed a bit sudden, and a little too easy, but I still found it to be a very enjoyable episode. Discord was still Discord, and that's what really matters. He was still the same lovable trickster, and all his gags were funny and just the type of thing you would expect him to do. I was afraid that they wouldn't be able to get him right the second time, but they did.
Necr0maNceR
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:16 pm

I can't even give this episode the "well at least it was constructive"

The only think i can say positive about it was discord was awesome at parts, and they at LEAST let him say "most of the time". Discord using his powers for the advancement of Celestia (someone that obviously like harmony) is just a bad concept in all. It completely ruins his character of being the embodiment of everything that's not harmonious.

That said, why in the world would someone that thrives from chaos even want a friend? It was rushed because of runtime and an exceptionally stupid use of an episode. Unless this gets turned around within the rest of the season i'm going to continue hating this episode.

EDIT Because what's above just sounds angry

This episode just bugged me. It bugged me since i first read the TVGuide synopsis and it still bugs me after seeing it. This show has the curse of being a kids show and even though it stopped having the Educational/Informative certification it is still stuck with the limitations of having to satisfy parents with what their kids learn. This leaves so much that they can't do with the episodes lessons. Think about "A Friend in Deed": that episode had so much more real life lesson potential. Pinkie Pie could have learned the fact that sometimes you simply can't be friends with everyone.

This episode could have done the same thing, sometimes you just can't change people. They wouldn't have even had to portray Discord as a "bad" character, like they did by calling him and his actions "evil". They could have ended the episode by him escaping or being turned to stone again, and *GASP* Celestia admitting that she was actually wrong.

That would have given 2 real life lessons that are far more relevant than "Sometimes you have to compromise for your friends." Which still doesn't make sense to me, because friendship shouldn't even be desirable to Discord. Celestia admitting that sometimes even she is wrong (Like with Chrysalis, remember she's already been wrong once) and Fluttershy learning that sometimes you just can't change everyone.

There, that's my less angry review of the episode.

------------------

Happily married to Twilight Sparkle since February 15th, 2012. Pinkie Pie was my best man. (unorthodox weddings FTW)
Lyra is senile, it's canon.
Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 31

Character List:
Name: Taters
Sex: Stallion
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Derpy Hooves wrote:
That said, why in the world would someone that thrives from chaos even want a friend? It was rushed because of runtime and an exceptionally stupid use of an episode. Unless this gets turned around within the rest of the season i'm going to continue hating this episode.
As I said over at EQ Daily Discord is the Element... you know what let me just quote myself.

Cptadder wrote: Note that word Element, we've seen Honesty, Kindness, Loyalty, Laughter, Generosity and Magic, toss in Love for Cadence and you have the idea of certain pony's embodying fundamental ideas.

And Discord is the Element of Chaos, not the Element of Evil or the Element of Crystaaallls (Poor Sombra).
Discord is the Element of Chaos as Fluttershy is the Element of Kindness, it's core to the fundamental makeup of there character. But Chaos in and of itself is meaningless, burning ice, freezing lighting and the sound of the void. Without something to mark the order from the chaos it's just a meaningless potentiality. Discord is not just Chaos but change as Celestia these days can be seen as not the Element of Harmony combined but instead as the Element of Order. Discord oppose her as she opposes him, after these long years Celestia has come to embody stability and the rule of Law, the natural ORDER of things.

Look back at her actions as if you were someone trying to force things into order, to reduce the chaos and make things more predictable. First she needs the elements harnessed as she can no longer use them her selves, she needs her dark half back so she needs Luna reformed and ready to go. She has a niece running around best get her a husband and calm things down. Her actions can be framed may different ways (Thus Trollestia and Molly) but at the end of the day she's pushing for stability and a nice neat little kingdom that runs itself without her having to do much of anything.

Which is why she finds the best pony (One of the bearers of the elements) to reform her greatest enemy to her side and her will.
Thus Discord must be chained in stone but in friendship, bent to her will and of his own choice.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:58 pm

...did you all see that look that Celestia had at the very end? Everyone else was happy he'd been reformed, but she looked away and looked... well, she looked guilty. Really, really guilty.

At the beginning of the episode she said she needed them to reform discord because she needed the use of his magic. She did NOT say that she thought he could use his magic for good. She said that SHE could use it.

All in all, I think she intends to use Discord and his magic in a way that the mane six would not approve of.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm still sticking by that the show is just finally hitting it's wall to what it can and can't do as a kids show to satisfy the larger fanbase. Had they treated this concept better I could see how it would have worked better. But with a 22 minute runtime and the storyline limitations of being a show made for kids, there's no way they could have ever conveyed everything you explained and made it work.

I also feel like this season has been full of this. They give us Discord, yeah, but they had to find a way to make him relevant, and they did that by unexplainably having him turn 178 degrees. We wanted more Scootaloo, and they gave us that by having Rainbow Dash suddenly show exceptional care for this little filly she barely even had a relationship with before (which as happy as I was to see, it still has no basis). And then we never see Scoots and Rainbow Dash again. We wanted Trixie back, and they bring her back for one episode as an actual villian that for forced reasoning has a vendetta against Twilight, and then after treating the episode really well, giving us some fantastic Trixie and fixing her mistakes, she simply RUNS(trips) OFF, never to be seen again. There's an obvious trend of trying too hard to satisfy the larger fanbase while hitting walls with what they can and can't do with a 22 minute runtime and the limitations of a childrens' show. This episode just hit the pinnacle of where unless they continue to show discord, its just more irrelevant fanservice.

I'm happy to have Discord back, but as it stands this episode is pointless to me and I can't even say that this episode was even enjoyable like the others. It was fun yes, but that's all.

And i honestly did notice Celestia's odd activity at the end of the episode, I'm still hopeful that will develop into something good

------------------

Happily married to Twilight Sparkle since February 15th, 2012. Pinkie Pie was my best man. (unorthodox weddings FTW)
Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Derpy Hooves wrote:And then we never see Scoots and Rainbow Dash again.
You mean all of two episodes ago?
You know, we haven't seen Sweetie Belle in that amount of time, either... let alone their parents.
When's the last time we saw Tank? Or Owlowicious (sp)? Was it just the last time they were relevant?
Let's be mad at them for that, too.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:31 pm

swicked wrote:
Derpy Hooves wrote:And then we never see Scoots and Rainbow Dash again.
You mean all of two episodes ago?
You know, we haven't seen Sweetie Belle in that amount of time, either... let alone their parents.
When's the last time we saw Tank? Or Owlowicious (sp)? Was it just the last time they were relevant?
Let's be mad at them for that, too.

I have been mad at them for that. Especially Tank, at least they threw Owloycious in once

But its the fact that this season has been SO FULL of stuff like that. They saw the fanbase liked the idea of Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash together so they put them together, There was no basis for it.

That's exactly the problem i predicted with season 3. They are pushing everything they can positively while they are more and more straying from what the show began as great for. It's original interesting stories, they didn't have to be relevant before but in trying to satisfy the "us" fanbase they are building themselves new storyline devices that they can't maintain with what freedom they're given.

The show is still great, the episodes (sans this one) have been great, written well and entertaining. But they are just taking the wrong direction this season, which makes me fear it might be the last one.

------------------

Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:43 pm

Admittedly, it annoys me a little that Rainbowdash and Scoots decided on a "big sister" thing. Lauren didn't really have that in mind for them, after all. It was more that Rainbowdash was fantastic at flying and Scoots was handicapped. You don't often see professional athletes deciding to have that sort of relationship with kids they don't even know.

...but, at the same time, it played true to Rainbow Dash's character, to me.

She was a jerk for most of that episode. Her taking Scoots under her wing struck me as her pandering to the kid. She doesn't intend to go much further than that. This isn't any sort of REAL commitment. She's certainly not going to take time out of her busy schedule of flying, eating and napping to teach Scoots anything.

But saying, in that one instance, that she'd do so? Sure, she could do that, no problem.

I wouldn't mind an episode in which Scoots has decided to carry through with this. She's following Rainbow around even more than before, like Pinkie was in the Gilda episode. Rainbow doesn't want to even try to teach a pegasus who can't do more than hover a little how to fly, let alone any other life lessons.
In the end, though the influence and advice of the others (using sweetie belle's and Applebloom's techniques to get their own sisters to do stuff and finding that they fail against Rainbow Dash) Scoots learns to back off a little and Rainbowdash learns the value of helping out someone who needs it.

Rainbowdash is obscenely selfish and I wouldn't mind her learning how to be a bit more generous with her time and energy (and not just by saving people or doing stuff she likes like destroying barns... actually helping people on a more personal level) as opposed to her regular "stop being a prideful ass" lessons that she never actually takes to heart.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Oh dear don't depress me even more haha.

Either way, everything i wrote was mostly in anger, i didn't mean to imply i hated the show now or something, i still love it and i'm still excited for the next 3 episodes, but I just feel we've been spoiled so much that they won't really be able to keep it up.

------------------

Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:12 pm

my thoughts:

Overall: Hilarious. Discord is still amazingly funny.

How it ended: ...eh. Not the best, but not the worst. It fits the theme of the show, but it just seemed...blegh that Discord did it because he 'never had a friend'
Maybe Discorderly Conduct has made me discount that belief.

------------------
My stories: Cold as Ice   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains FiMFic Page   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains Hub Page
Thanks if you read any of them.

If you have a complaint of any kind, a question or a suggestion, please PM me about it and I will respond as quickly as I can.  

Last wrote:((Camo just likes to kill happiness.))

Well spank my flank and call me sexy!

Until next time, hugs and kisses.

~Miguel
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Okay It was a good one, it really was, in my opinion. The only thing I did not like, was the terms Good and Evil, rather, i think the expressions of selfish and for the benefit of others would be better.

Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Sex: Male
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:49 pm

They would use the terms "good" and "evil", because from THEIR point of view, where Harmony is the most desirable outcome, Chaos for Chaos' sake IS an Evil notion.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:25 pm

They've taken the synthesis ending!

...ouch, stop hitting me!
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Anyway, my sentiment on this episode is that, if it wasn't bad and I like what the direction they took with Discord, it felt completely very rushed, and could have easily taken two episodes worth of time for the characterization to be developed correctly.

Here it felt too sudden.

I mean, Discord is Oooooold. I would think it'd be hard to change so radically someone who has lived this long.

Though the fact Fluttershy was the first friend he has ever had in all that time may have been that powerful on its own.

Still, I regret they couldn't take more time to elaborate on that relationship.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Valikdu wrote:They've taken the synthesis ending!

...ouch, stop hitting me!

Anyway... The episode was great and quite fun. But yeah, Discord's reformation was a bit sudden/rushed, and it would be nice if they threw in some actual consequences for all the storylines they (re-)opened in the third season. Without that the episodes can be great, but the continuity of the show suffers in the long run.
Damn the "show for little kids" limitations the creators are subjected to, and the 22 time limit. At least as long as they plan on creating episodes like these where some continuity IS needed for them to be meaningful. How
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 71

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:change so radically
Chaos.

Anyway, I doubt anyone gave him the chance before. Celestia and Luna probably blasted him to stone ASAP when they first found him.
Fluttershy, being insanely pleasant, thought it was nice for him to be spinning her house about if that made him feel comfortable.

I doubt it'll have any kind of lasting change on his personality, but for now he's willing to do her a favor because he actually feels she'd do the same for him.
I mean he's the spirit of chaos, not a jerk. Well, not a jerk assuming the people he's dealing with's only objective is to put him in stone for another 1000 years.
I know I'D of reacted pretty similarly to someone trying to do that.

I guess my point is that I don't even see this as being too overly out of character for him. Slightly jarring, but he's whimsical. Plus, now he gets to mess with Celestia, all the while claiming to be reformed and knowing Fluttershy's got his back should he get any lip from any princesses.

They also had him snapping more often to activate his powers, which is a nice call-back to Q.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Valid points, but the story-telling still felt rushed.

Not that I expect the writers to work miracles given the limitations they are subjected to, and they still managed to do an adequate work given what they were, but I still regret how much better it could have been handled if there had been more time available.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Also? I'd like it if they did a little less continuity for a while and just showed more interactions.

They've had episodes centering around a specific pony, like Applebuck season and Sonic Rainboom. We've had several where we've just followed a particular character around... even Spike.

They've had ones centered (primarily) around the actions between two of them, like Fall Weather Friend and Look Before You Sleep.

But there are some combinations of two that we haven't really seen.
I'd like a more typical episode like one where where Rarity's trying to teach Dash how and why it's nice to be more feminine due to Dash not really respecting Rarity's ways. One in which Pinkie has to help Fluttershy with some animals that have been displaced due to a flood and needs to learn to hold in some of her energy... while Fluttershy learns not to be overly protective. Maybe a world-building episode in which Twilight investigates what really is earth pony magic, with Applejack being her test subject, following her around and learning things the "earth pony way".

Those type of give-and-take episodes, in which you pit two conflicting ways of life against each other and have each pony come to understand the other a little better, really make me happy. They all have the same theme... that of understanding. I feel like that's the most important theme, though, when it comes to friendship.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:02 pm

That was fucking amazing. I loved it.
Though, I love Fluttershy in general.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE So worth it.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:36 pm

Ah, I love the smell of dead fanons in the morning. Don't you?
jacky2734
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:39 pm

jacky2734 wrote:Ah, I love the smell of dead fanons in the morning. Don't you?
...if you refer to PH's having Discord as never being forgiven... Discord is chaos. He screwed up later, doing "bad" things, and was locked up again, this time for good.
Done and done.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by jacky2734 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Cptadder wrote:My thoughts
So Celestia calls Discord evil, interesting point of view since he's Chaos which is neither good nor evil much like how order is not good nor evil just a state of being.

Although it is true that chaos is not inherently evil, Discord is not just chaos, he's also disharmony as well. He throws things out of balance with no regard to who it hurts, and that is what makes his actions evil.
jacky2734
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 36

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Post by Scootaloo on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:16 pm

The change for Discord was sudden and felt fake. However, they did their best with the show time they had.

To make it more believable, however, was that because they didn't give us a good background for Discord, I came up with the theory that he never had friends growing up so when Fluttershy said she wouldn't be his friend anymore, he panicked.

But I did enjoy the episode. They kept him in good character throughout and didn't destroy his character. Yay!
Scootaloo
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 6

Character List:
Name: Shimmer Mint

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Scootaloo wrote:To make it more believable, however, was that because they didn't give us a good background for Discord, I came up with the theory that he never had friends growing up so when Fluttershy said she wouldn't be his friend anymore, he panicked.
I agree with this. Back during hearth's warming the ponies were pretty much racist against each other. Now imagine how what it would be like for a non-pony or a draconequus to grow up then. Stick a one of a kind hybrid with godlike powers into that era and it's going to end badly, very very badly.
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 5

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpy Hooves on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:14 pm

Reading through these responses has reminded me how awesome this fandom is, and reminded me how much I ACTUALLY love this show.

also i looked at my collection of toys on my shelf and yeah...

Yeah i love this show...

Relevant image that just appeared on facebook.
Spoiler:

------------------

Derpy Hooves
Royal Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Derpy Hooves wrote:

Relevant image that just appeared on facebook.
Spoiler:
Where's the source?
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 5

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 pm

When my little sisters go "What?" I know it's not just me.
Oh sure they enjoyed Discord turning everything topsy-turvy, but that sudden friendship thing? I really think that could have been done better if expanded upon.
Not the worst episode (as if I'd start a war on which is), but one I like for the comedy, and not story building. Though as Swicked says, there are subtle notes that hint to something over the horizon.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:00 am

Derpy Hooves wrote:Reading through these responses has reminded me how awesome this fandom is, and reminded me how much I ACTUALLY love this show.
...because why? Because other people didn't like the episode, too? Because some had ideas as to how it could be better? I'm not sure what I'm seeing here that's "awesome".

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top