Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

S03E09 Spike at your service

View previous topic View next topic Go down

S03E09 Spike at your service

Post by Katarn on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:15 am

It will be on stream soon.
But here is 1080p HD link for those, who don't want to wait and/or watch commercials.
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E09 Spike at your service

Post by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Thoughts on the episode. It wasn't bad, and definitely had lots and lots of hilarious moments, but it wasn't super-duper amazing either. It was good. Twilight Sparkle
Episode 9:
1) So... 3D animated timberwolfs? That's new, not sure if for the better or worse.
2) As for Spike pledging eternal service to AJ... I tell you right now, that can only end badly.
3) Twilight reads a book, the rest of the world doesn't exist for her so don't even bother to disturb. Twilight crazy
4) Spike da Dragon Code Spike
5) Lol, a rock tower, be careful what you ask for, RD. Applebloom
6) AJ playing damsel in distress? Here comes nothin.
7) Timberwolfs are now Transformers, deal with it. Coo
8) The ending was... Kinda weird. That stone was deus ex machina. I mean, what are the odds of a creature like a giant transformed timberwolf choking on a tiny stone like that?
I think it could have been handled better. Though the scene itself of timberwolf chocking and gesticulating at them to wait a moment was rich, it didn't feel quite right in that moment.

Don't even let me start on all those comments of sex and rape during the stream, there sure was ton of shipping material in the episode. Crazy
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 71

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Spoiler:

Yay Timber Wolves are back!

Why is Spike suddenly super clumsy? I'm pretty sure I've seen him mopping many times in the show, and he's never done...that.

Wait...unfinished novel? Did they just make a scene poking fun at horrible fanfic writers? lol awesome

Lol Rarity, your poor pipes.

Twilight has OCD sense now?

Pinkie...what the fuck?

...Fluttershy...why are you standing on buckets...oh, that's why.
Also, RD, where the hell did you learn to do that?

Best acting ever.

Why is it that any time the Timber Wolves are shown, their movements and stuff reminds me of Zoids?

Thou hast pissed off the lupines.

Really? A PEBBLE?!

Overall, it was pretty good. I got a few good laughs at points, but it's not really near the top of my favs list.

------------------
My stories: Cold as Ice   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains FiMFic Page   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains Hub Page
Thanks if you read any of them.

If you have a complaint of any kind, a question or a suggestion, please PM me about it and I will respond as quickly as I can.  

Last wrote:((Camo just likes to kill happiness.))

Well spank my flank and call me sexy!

Until next time, hugs and kisses.

~Miguel
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:16 pm

Formis_Twigod wrote:
Spoiler:
8) The ending was... Kinda weird. That stone was deus ex machina. I mean, what are the odds of a creature like a giant transformed timberwolf choking on a tiny stone like that?
I think it could have been handled better. Though the scene itself of timberwolf chocking and gesticulating at them to wait a moment was rich, it didn't feel quite right in that moment.
I'm kind of surprised that worked, but then again choking sucks.

Note to self: If attacked by giant monsters in the future like cthulu or such use throw something in it's wind pipe.
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 5

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Spike, we need to talk.

Spike, you have a problem.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 pm

he just loves twi's posterior:
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Easily labeled as worst episode of season 3 for me. It contained funny things but was pretty bad. One note Spike is clumsy jokes when Spike has up until this episode been the best little able assistant. And while Timberwolves are nice, they don't get gone into.

So there are good jokes but most of this episode I sat there going uggh... get onto something interesting please.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Spike is a great cook, right? I remember him making stuff for Twilight on more than one occasion.
His ultimate cookies, when they went to see the shooting stars in the Owlowicious episode, showed he's more than capable of baking, as well as making stuff that tastes good to ponies (since he's previously commented on not caring for other pony foods, like daisy sandwiches and the like).

Most of what he does for Twilight is cleaning, so I don't see how he screws that up as well. They really threw a lot of random disabilities on him this episode that didn't make a lick of sense.

What's more, they 3Ded the timer wolves. It looked awkward and out of place.

My least favorite episode this season for sure. I don't want to say it's my least favorite overall, but it very well might be. The script just felt so very forced.

Also, noble dragon codes fit on business cards? Why not a scroll or something else more fitting to some ancient dragon tradition?

Having him summon it like that seemed unnecessary, too, but whatever.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 pm

While I'm always happy for more Applejack, this episode was really underwhelming. The dragon code thing feels like it comes out of no where and Spike's clumsiness gets exaggerated too much for my tastes.

There are a few things I wish could have been expanded on though. The Dragon code has a lot of potential for exploration as well as the golem / magical nature of the timber wolves. If anyone finds any good fics relating to these, let me know.

Probably the worst episode of Season 3 overall.
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:13 pm

For all my gripes, though, every character OTHER than Spike had great dialogue and acted entirely the way they should. I loved when Rarity was overacting and Pinkie was amazingly under-acting for the damsel in distress part.

Also: mustache.

:)

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:47 am

'48 hour spoiler':
You all should see the discussion on the EQD thread. Most of it is griping on the CG timberwolves, Spike being incompetent, and the tag-team duo of Polaski and Merriweather not being the best idea.

I know it's for the sake of comedy, but still is a bit jarring to see Spike being so bad at simple chores. The response to that is usually "because it's a farm he doesn't know how to do that kind of chores." Though I wish to see such a thing, which would be interesting, most of the chores assigned him are just menial cooking and cleanup, which he should know how to do...

I just realized, he doesn't have anyone to hang out with when he's not helping out Twilight...

Also, Somberpony has this to say:
Somber wrote:There are many things to say about the episode. I won't. But I will say
one thing about folks who are complaining about the discontinuity of
Merriweather Williams:

She is writing for Spongebob Squarepants, not My Little Pony.

Spongebob
has every episode start fresh. The characters are who the characters
are. They go through whatever they go through. The episode ends. The
next episode, the characters start fresh. Whatever they experienced
before doesn't matter. A button was pushed and everything is reset for
the next set of wacky hijinks. And there is nothing wrong with that for a
show like Spongebob. I don't put a lot of investment into a show like
Spongebob Squarepants and my expectations are fairly low.

But
Season one and two of MLP established that there was continuity for the
episodes. That what happened in one episode mattered. It mattered to the
character. It matters to the reader. And it's what makes continuity
hiccups so aggravating, but we bear with them because we care about the
characters.

Merriweather Williams has no concept of continuity.
She can not even follow her own established continuity. In Dragon
Quest, Spike rejects his own Dragoness. In this episode, he embraces or
invents it. In Dragon Quest, we have Pee Wee. In this episode, no pee
wee. In other words, Merriweather williams invents everything off the
cuff. If it doesn't fit with the character, who cares? It'll all be
reset for the next episode. The characters are just caricatures. No
continuity. Nothing matters. Thus she writes a cranky Fluttershy, a
slavish bumbling Spike, and a Twilight who neglects her number one
assistant.

Anyway... enough said. We only got 13 episodes. I hope no others are wasted on her.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 am

Yeah the episode wasn't as good has it could have been, and obviously the weakest of this season.

Most of what I think was wrong has already been stated, but I do have one point of difference I see. I'm actually okay with the CGI timberwolves.
Last time we saw them most just assumed they where natural creatures in the world, but after this and their ability to rebuild themselves, indicates they're magical, or supernatural, in nature.
So if that's the case, the CGI just helps illistrates how timberwolves are creatures of magic from a ancient spell long since forgotten.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:09 pm

...did this Merriweather Williams write each character's dialogue, then?
Because seriously, everyone was spot on.

Rarity didn't overact her part, claiming things were the "worst possible thing" or seeming overly selfish or self-absorbed. She acted really normal to the character.
Rainbow Dash was brash and arrogant without being mean or antagonistic, Applejack was her usual brave and polite southern self (though she's always struck me as the easiest one to write for... just write what a normal person would do, then add southern-ness), Twilight was a bit odd toward the beginning of the episode but, once woken up from her reading revelry, she played her part, being sensitive to her assistant's predicament and knowledgeable of what was needed to set things right. Pinkie was even zany without being annoying or overly distracting.

I think each character was personified masterfully in this episode. Spike even had his little never-say-die attitude and astuteness, he was just also impossibly clumsy.

Oh, and I definitely wish we could have had a wrap-up of the letter on friendship being sent to Celestia, mentioning the homework assignment, and her writing back "Twilight, my dear student, one of these days you really need to stop reading the word 'any' as the word 'all'..."

Actually, what would have been awesome is if she had been reading the entire time in a book fort (as a shout out to the fans, books being her fort-ay) and Celestia had to explain that "two fortnights" is actually four weeks.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:04 pm

swicked wrote:

Actually, what would have been awesome is if she had been reading the entire time in a book fort (as a shout out to the fans, books being her fort-ay) and Celestia had to explain that "two fortnights" is actually four weeks.
I still hold out hopes for a Season 4 filly Twilight and Smarty Pants Calvin and Hobbs style episode with hijinks from her imagination and her brother.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Spoiler:
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Rarity : " WE CAN EXPLAIN ! "

Twilight : " Er, actually... "
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:12 pm

swicked wrote:For all my gripes, though, every character OTHER than Spike had great dialogue and acted entirely the way they should. I loved when Rarity was overacting and Pinkie was amazingly under-acting for the damsel in distress part.

Also: mustache.

:)

Bless other people for putting words to things when you can't.

I preferred this episode to many of the others aired so far, but not for the right reasons. I didn't like any of the meat of the it, but the characters dropping the over-the-top, flanderized acts is such a welcome change that it taints my perceptions about the episode overall.

The past couple have been better on this. I really hope that it keeps up. (And then I hear something about hiatus...)
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:14 am

I enjoyed it, although spike was out of character with his clumsiness, he wouldn't be all that useful as an assistant if he could not clean all that well. The poor baking too, we know he can bake. Perhaps if there was another means of making him infuriatingly helpful it would be better.

The Twilight OCD radar was a little on the mark if you know what I mean. I think season Three is a little bit of a genre experiment. They may be watching the feedback from the fans to see which style and what not is working for them. I mean there has only been what? One friendship lesson? Come on, we can get better than that. This is the story, a study on the magic of friendship.
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Sex: Male
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:07 am

Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:The Twilight OCD radar was a little on the mark if you know what I mean. I think season Three is a little bit of a genre experiment. They may be watching the feedback from the fans to see which style and what not is working for them. I mean there has only been what? One friendship lesson? Come on, we can get better than that. This is the story, a study on the magic of friendship.
That's actually a pretty good theory that season 3 is a genre experiment. So far they haven't been sure what the fans like all that we like the show.
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 5

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:11 am

blitzwing000 wrote:
Spoiler:
They totally could have made the episode work with the same plot.

They
could have had Spike being anxious being told by Twilight that she
didn't need him for a few days, and kicked him out of the Library so she
could read. Spike gets totally bored not having anypony to help. AJ
saves his life, so he feels he owes her something and since he has
nothing to do and really wants to help somepony, he decides to repay AJ.
AJ being a pony who needs no help from anypony (even though she got
over that somewhat in Applebuck Season) hesitantly agrees. Spike starts
doing all of AJ's chores super-well and efficient, maybe changing things
around the farm which AJ is not comfortable with changing. AJ starts
getting really uncomfortable because she's not getting to do anything
she wants to do, and she can't stand having no work to do. AJ wants to
get rid of Spike, but Spike has nothing better to do for the whole
weekend still (his self-worth tied into assisting people) and won't
leave AJ alone. AJ tells the other ponies of what's going on, they
devise the silly plan of Spike saving AJ's life. AJ initially dislikes
the dishonesty, but faced with not being able to do any work herself,
agrees with it.

Morale of the Episode would have been:
friendship is about giving and taking, taking doesn't necessarily mean
greed.....you need to be comfortable with both giving and taking.

I
don't think that would have deviated the plot so much, and I think it's
much more solid. I think the morale is especially better since both
Spike and AJ are super giving characters but have problems with taking.

Sigh, so much lost potential. =(

I found this interesting thing in the discussion threads on Eqd. What do you all think of it?
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:12 am

Spike isn't super strong, though. He can't buck trees. He can't till fields. He can't pull carts full to the brim of apples let alone particularly contribute to a lot of the other especially hard labor.

He can bake well, but not on the scale of someone from the Apple family that's been doing so frequently their entire life.

He could be better at cleaning and several other things but I don't see him putting AJ out of work, as farms require a lot of attention and the chores she had him do mostly didn't have anything to do with her bread and butter.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:56 am

shayzorr wrote:
Spoiler:
Come one, come all, to hear the explanation for every issue people had with the episode!
(I will not guarantee that the explanations will be satisfying. That would cost extra.)

How come Applejack and Cherry Berry can tow a balloon that should be able to lift more than one pony into air?
Earth pony magic! They are difficult to pull off ground when they don't want to (and another creature is not involved).

Then what about Spike? How did he pull down the balloon with his measley weight?
Everfree
Forest is famous for its weird weather. A localized low-pressure zone
reduced the balloon's lift just enough to allow Spike to reach the upper
branches and pull himself (and the balloon) down to ground level.

So Spike could scramble down a tree while holding a balloon but be a complete klutz for the rest of the episode?
Absolutely.
Encountering Timberwolves was a harrowing experience. For the rest of
the episode Spike was suffering from post-combat shakes. And later from a
subconscious distress after Twilight let him go so easily. And
continuity! After promising to never leave him in the Crystal Empire,
Twilight just handed him over to Applejack. That could cause all sorts
of mental distress.

Wait, Spike ran into the post where the balloon was tied to before all these traumatic reactions. He was clumsy already!
Not
a question, but explainable. Spike was delirious after smelling the
mildly toxic fumes of his feet, and misjudged distance. It didn't help
that Cherry Berry is not the best knotmaker in Equestria; why else would
the rope coil open when someone touches it.

What about the dirt pie Spike baked? Was that a result of trauma?
No.
Twilight is OCD about labeling her ingredients. Cakes (and thus Pinkie)
live by their trade and label their ingredients carefully. Both
Twilight and Cakes use accurate measures for flours and stuff. Spike is
used to working under these conditions. Both Twilight and Cakes have the
best ovens possible. Apple kitchen has stuff here and there,
measurements are done with granny's old spoon and those cups uncle
Strudel brought from his visit to the old country, and the oven is a
wood-fired old thing. So traumatized Spike was working in less than
optimal conditions and using archaic equipment. No wonder the pie was so
bad!

Why did he break Rarity's kitchen?
She looks
so beautiful when she chews! So close to the most beautiful pony! Must
clean myself to be presentable! Must clean myself faster! Need more
water! Need more soap! Oh no, too much soap! Must turn off faucet! Where
is it! Ha, now a quick twist and... why am I holding a sink pipe?

I give up about Spike. What was Rarity doing in Pinkie's cannon?
Wouldn't you try to hide from mustache-wearing Pinkie?

Why is Twilight all scared up of a few tree-doggies? She has encountered far worse foes!
- Nightmare Moon. Elements of Harmony, one foe to concentrate upon, other ponies backed her up.
- Discord. Elements of Harmony and one foe to concentrate upon, other ponies backed her up.
- Chrysalis. Twilight never defeated her.
- Changelings. Fight or lose, not fight or run. And she lost. Superior numbers sometimes win.
- Sombra. Twilight never faced him. Even his last magical ward was too powerful for her to defeat quickly.
Timberwolves
appeared in superior numbers with the element of surprise while nopony
carried the Elements of Harmony and everypony else was away from
Twilight when they surprised her. Running doesn't seem like such a bad
option under those conditions.

Wasn't this the most incredible series of observations ever? Can you believe your very eyes? As if there was ever any doubt that things could not be rationally explained.

And here is one trying to rationalize certain points of the episode. It amused me, though it doesn't change my opinion of the episode.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down