Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

S03E05 Magic Duel

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Katarn on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:13 pm

Orm wrote:I just imagined the old shop owner guy from Gremlins.
I know that probably isn't the reference but still.

No, it was Uncle!
Spoiler:

Well..or him:
Spoiler:

Also, on derpibooru you can find him under Uncle Curio tag...so yeah..it's Uncle! :D
avatar
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Posts : 12959
Brohoof! : 351
Join date : 2012-05-09
Age : 30
Location : Kiev, Ukraine

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by CannonFodder on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:44 pm

swicked wrote:...I don't think the bits were real. Trixie had been out of work since the incident and she'd never really seemed all that wealthy to begin with.
Or she stole them which is why she didn't want to return them for her money back.
avatar
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Posts : 328
Brohoof! : 5
Join date : 2012-11-05

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Cptadder on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:47 pm

Orm wrote:Maybe she saved up some bits while working at the rock farm.
Hey working mines is profitable work, it's just boring, backbreaking and dangerous. Rock farming is probably the first two.
Alternatively she robbed Pinkies parents. I prefer to think it was just life savings after all her primary source of income dried up after what Sparkle did to her.
avatar
Cptadder
Alicorn

Posts : 1751
Brohoof! : 118
Join date : 2012-06-03
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by swicked on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Cptadder wrote:
Orm wrote:Maybe she saved up some bits while working at the rock farm.
Hey working mines is profitable work, it's just boring, backbreaking and dangerous. Rock farming is probably the first two.
Alternatively she robbed Pinkies parents. I prefer to think it was just life savings after all her primary source of income dried up after what Sparkle did to her.
I dunno, there's just something to the way she threw down the bag full of bits, not bothering to negotiate or try and find some semi-reasonable price, that makes me think she didn't work for them. That it didn't mean all that much to her and she had just gotten them somehow and fenced them on this guy.

Maybe her thirst for revenge was strong enough that she got tunnel vision and, as soon as she heard of the amulet, she just gathered up everything she had to give up for it.
I just don't think so, though.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6601
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by jacky2734 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:49 pm

Also, since nobody's brought this up, is an Applesauce facial a real thing?
avatar
jacky2734
Alicorn

Posts : 4272
Brohoof! : 36
Join date : 2012-05-09
Location : Colorado, USA

Character List:
Name: Kage/Searing Willow
Sex: male/male
Species: Gryphon/Deer

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:03 am

jacky2734 wrote:Also, since nobody's brought this up, is an Applesauce facial a real thing?
<a href='http://www.crunchybetty.com/homemade-applesauce-face-mask-shampoo-and-deeeelish-dish'>Apparently so</a>

Also, I'm suffering from lack of Derpy. wat do?
avatar
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Posts : 1698
Brohoof! : 56
Join date : 2012-05-14

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Cptadder on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:20 am

OneMoreDaySK wrote:
Also, I'm suffering from lack of Derpy. wat do?
Derpy was spotted in the crowd during Twilight's show to the delegation from Saddle Arabia.

jacky2734 wrote:Also, since nobody's brought this up, is an Applesauce facial a real thing?
If it's one thing I've learned in all of my years... none of which were spent anywhere near the beauty industry. It's that people can be convinced to pay money for just about anything as an anti-aging treatment or to reduce lines and wrinkles. People are that desperate to look good, or look decent just a little bit longer we will stick anything on anyone in hopes of finding something that makes you look like your thirty well into your fifties.
avatar
Cptadder
Alicorn

Posts : 1751
Brohoof! : 118
Join date : 2012-06-03
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:36 am

Cptadder wrote:
OneMoreDaySK wrote:
Also, I'm suffering from lack of Derpy. wat do?
Derpy was spotted in the crowd during Twilight's show to the delegation from Saddle Arabia.

Eh, I actually saw two characters with the Derpy vector, but none with both eyes on screen. Close enough.
Also, why does it irk me that Fluttershy went complete Cowardly Lion this episode. At least Trixie didn't harm anyone seriously, nor did she bully any animals. Still, seeing someone bully her friends and get away with it is something I didn't expect from her.
avatar
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Posts : 1698
Brohoof! : 56
Join date : 2012-05-14

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by CamoBadger on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Well, I have very little to say about this episode.

1) Bullshit: where did Trixie get all that money? Rock farm? Bullshit.

2) Dark magic is cool.

3) Thank god Zecora is here and being amazing, I love that zebra.

4) Incoming sob stories about Trixie (as if they didn't all exist anyways). I still hate her with such a passion it hurts. I don't give a crap if she was 'corrupted' by the amulet, she was always a bitch and always will be.

5) Can you say 'fanservice'?

That's all from me.

------------------
My stories: Cold as Ice   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains FiMFic Page   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains Hub Page
Thanks if you read any of them.

If you have a complaint of any kind, a question or a suggestion, please PM me about it and I will respond as quickly as I can.  


Last wrote:((Camo just likes to kill happiness.))

Well spank my flank and call me sexy!

Until next time, hugs and kisses.


 ~Miguel
avatar
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 13890
Brohoof! : 588
Join date : 2011-11-29

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Orm on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:03 pm

So what your saying is, it was your favourite episode of all of season 3 so far. Spike
avatar
Orm
Alicorn

Posts : 4425
Brohoof! : 51
Join date : 2012-02-22
Age : 24
Location : Canada

Character List:
Name: Searchlight
Sex: Male
Species: Ghoul Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Harold_Genhi on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm sure Trixie sold her cart, the left over fireworks, her hat and her cape since we see her without it. There is also the savings she had left over from her job and even though she would have lost business, her business wasn't completely stagnant as shown through Snips and Snails still being loyal to her and her show. She would have still made some money, but not a workable amount of money. Equally, when you have built up that much demand for revenge you'd cut back on food and travel and even sleep under the stars to save your money in which to later use for revenge. She could have easily stopped buying food and just ate grass in the meadows which given the case seems to be the lowest of low form of food and would probably be disgusting. We also don't know how much time has passed between when Trixie's business collapsed and how much she worked up until she tossed the large bag of money onto the counter. Given that a cherry can cost two bits the amount of money she threw onto the counter is also not that much. It was probably her life savings or revenge savings. I feel that it was completely plausible for Trixie to have that much money. (She could have also rented herself out as a dominatrixie *rimshot*)
avatar
Harold_Genhi
Earth Pony

Posts : 100
Brohoof! : 1
Join date : 2012-01-06
Age : 25
Location : Quadrant V

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by swicked on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:52 pm

@Harold
You are willing to believe she'd starve herself, become homeless and turn to prostitution, but stop short of breaking the law for her revenge? She was already after a dark, forbidden artifact... Why wouldn't she steal or mug people to attain it? Pretty easy when you have a spell that'll hogtie a pony in an instant.

She lost her cart and all of her belongings. Any meager life savings, and possibly some loans, went into a new cart that was immediately defaced in the flashback. She sold her outfit and was working on a rock farm which, if appearences are to be believed, isn't even particularly profitable to the owners that get most of their labor through family.

My headcanon is, again, she just stole the money, and stole some more after she got the amulet, maybe even using to to wipe out some ponies' memeries that they were even looking for a thief in the first place. Then she got her clothes, maybe even a new cart, and set off to get her revenge.

That way she'd be more than willing to let the thing go. She had all she needed and if she couldn't use the amulet it functioned as little more than evidence of her misdeeds. She might be out to try and make up with the people she stole from now, assuming she didn't just take from ponies that wouldn't miss the bits. Either way, I really don't think she raised money legally to buy something illegal.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6601
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Harold_Genhi on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:05 pm

@swicked
The prostitution was a joke notice the "*rimshot*"? Equally if you believe that she would steal money to get it... why wouldn't she just steal the amulet instead of stealing the money to buy the amulet? And yes I willing to believe that she would do that for revenge. And it isn't starvation. It would be stopping from getting organic farm grown roses to eating daffodils in the meadows. She wouldn't starve just have less quality food. (hard to starve when there is grass everywhere.)

I just don't see Trixie stealing from ponies. Sure she does cheap tricks and "steals" pony's money that way, but to assume she would turn to a life of crime is as unsupportable as my, "she will raise enough money legally". Only can have our own opinions on such matters since there is nothing even remotely expressed in the show to support either of us.

And equally my views are to just add another possibility factor. Of such, I remove the ideas from other people's theories and express another idea. One that doesn't add more blame and fault to her apart from her high and mighty ego trips.

It was just another view that doesn't condemn her anymore. Take it how you will.
avatar
Harold_Genhi
Earth Pony

Posts : 100
Brohoof! : 1
Join date : 2012-01-06
Age : 25
Location : Quadrant V

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Harold_Genhi on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Equally, nowhere was it ever stated that the Alicorn Amulet was illegal. It was a dark artifact being sold in an antique store. There were just legends about it and was put in the store as a conversation piece as to draw customers in, which if you've gone to an antique store, there is almost always one that is either not for sale or has a huge price tag on it. This was this shop owner's drawing in piece. Normally uses it to draw attention to other similar objects around the store. The shop owner probably didn't even believe in the story he was telling. Probably assumed it to just be an old amulet that may be a replica of the actual amulet. He obviously never put it on, nor seen someone put it on. He would have no idea of the validity of the story, nor would anyone else.

Just a thought to consider.
avatar
Harold_Genhi
Earth Pony

Posts : 100
Brohoof! : 1
Join date : 2012-01-06
Age : 25
Location : Quadrant V

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by swicked on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Because it's difficult to steal one of the most valuable objects in a dark magic shop. Much more difficult than breaking into a house while the owner is on vacation, or cornering someone in an alley. Plus, the dark magic shop owner would be more likely to make her really pay for crossing him.

I think she tried to live legitimately but, when she learned of the amulet, or committed herself to getting revenge, she turned to theft just long enough to suit her goals.

Your argument for why he sold it is the belief that the shop owner didn't know the difference between a legitimate artifact and a fake, when the real one is clearly that potent? No offense, but I find that absurd. Given the nature of ponies and talents/cutie marks, I'd just as soon believe some books in Twilight's library could be made of wood or rebound phone books and Twilight wouldn't know the difference.

Edit: actually, Twilight is probably a poor example. More like... if Rarity had dresses that were just made of cardboard and some of Applejack's trees were plastic.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6601
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Harold_Genhi on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:18 pm

And the quick assumption that revenge would drive someone to thievery in my eyes is equally absurd and based around the thought that any evil will do every evil. Petty thievery seems below her and contradictory to her "Great" part of her ego title. And she never had a new cart when she returned to ponyville. She never got a new cart so I don't know where that absurd idea came from. She only got her hat and cap back after she enslaved ponyville. They made statues and banners why not give her back her hat and cape. And she could have sold that hat and cap to such fans like snips and snails. They'd buy a strand of her hair for a ridiculous amount of money.

My basis for the shop owner not knowing if the amulet was potent or not is based on the mystery of the amulet. It only had legends around it. He never tested it. For all he knew it was a lie. Hard to test its potency when you are an Earth pony with almost no concept of how magic is supposed to function. It is an artifact and a rare one that is worth its own fortune of gold just for that. It would be like having an old document that you know is rare, selling it for $300 for its rarity and then the customer finds a signature that is even rarer setting the actual price up to $3000 dollars. Assuming every shop keeper is savvy to their goods is a gross misinterpretation of reality.

In my eyes, any and all ideas are equally plausible as I have stated. She could have resorted to thievery for all I care, but there is nothing to indicate it. There is nothing indicating that the Alicorn Amulet was illegal either. Dangerous, yes, illegal, no. So no theory can ever be proven. We have our own opinions and that is it.
avatar
Harold_Genhi
Earth Pony

Posts : 100
Brohoof! : 1
Join date : 2012-01-06
Age : 25
Location : Quadrant V

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by swicked on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Rewatch her flashback, when she's talking about how she got mocked in other towns. You will see she had a cart, and it got graffiti all over it. So it's not so much a notion to say she had one as it is an observation.
I even already said it was in the flashback. If you're not gonna read my post I see hardly any point in continuing.

Your point about him being an earth pony makes even less sense. Why would he go about selling things without ever bothering to figure out what they are worth beforehand? If that were true it's a wonder he's still in business.

Honestly, is assuming a shopkeeper would have one of the most valuable items in their collection appraised really that much of a "gross misinterpretation of reality"?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6601
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Harold_Genhi on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Sigh... you said she bought a new cart. What about her already existing cart? Where did that one go? Flashback further proves my point that it was her already existing cart and she never had to spend what "little" life savings she had on a new cart. And seeing as you've been on my case about everything with some sort of I'm right and you are wrong complex I've been questioning what the point is to continue. She never spent any money on a new cart nor does she ever get a new cart in the whole episode. She was missing her hat and cape. Good assumption to assume she pawned those off, probably to the few that still loved her. She worked on a rock farm and as we have no basis of how long this happened we can't say for certain how much she made from that job. We equally can't assume anything on if she stole anything because nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing supports that loose claim. Your only weak supporting evidence was "Why would she legally make money to buy something illegal", which I've already drawn out was never stated to have been illegal only dangerous. So you have no support for your claim. Congrats. I have that she was missing her cart, her cape, her hat, and she had a job. Could she have stole people's money? I will have to repeat myself again since you can't seem to get it, potentially, but nothing can indicate that as true or false so it is all based upon opinion. Let me repeat that, based upon opinion. So once you have a little bit more evidence to why she had to have stolen people's money to have gotten that much money, you are left with what you have been doing. Berating my opinion. Prove yours. Support yours. Too bad you can't because for the last time it is an opinion. Just as mine is. You concluded A. I concluded B. Nothing supports either or. Get over it.

He is an Earth pony. Even if he put it on to test the claim that it granted the user higher magical powers, it wouldn't have worked on him. It would do nothing. He would need a unicorn to put it on to actually test the claim. But it trickles back to the fact that once you put it on it corrupts you, probably into not wanting to take it off. Again, we are not given any evidence as to if he knew of or more correctly, believed in the raw power that the amulet held. No way to prove it? You have a story. Story can help increase the price. Doesn't matter if it works or not. You sold it. You made money.

Congrats. It is appraised. What is told about it? You get its history, how old it is, how rare it is, and how much you can get out of it. This is assuming that the appraiser and the antique dealer also believes in the story of the artifact. How do you prove it? You put it on. What happens when you put it on? It corrupts you and you never take it off. No one had any proof as to if those stories were true or false. Trixie wanted anything to give her a one up over Twilight. A potentially mystical amulet was all she had. It was the only investment that she could try for. EX: You get a quilt appraised and they say it was haunted and the ghost will grant the user with increased luck and fortune at the cost of others having misfortune and grief. You as the antique dealer would probably not believe the story, but use the story to jack the price up as most antiques are overpriced because they "have a history". And as an antique dealer, it doesn't matter if it is the real thing or not. Just as long as you sell it. Normally people don't buy an antique from an antique store and go off and hire an appraiser to validate the story. They normally hang it up and parrot the story the antique dealer told them. I've seen countless fakes that were sold off as real models. It doesn't run you out of business either. You can so easily play stupid and claim that you didn't know of such. It is called shady business. Obviously this antique dealer, seeing the money that Trixie gave him knew he gained a profit because he had valued the amulet much lower. Later we learn that this amulet is practically priceless making the user more powerful than the highest order of unicorns. The antique dealer obviously, so blatantly had no idea what he had. He could have gotten so much more money out of it if he knew its power. But obviously he didn't.

Other than that, I enjoyed the episode and don't try to over think children's cartoon. I only do it for fun, of which, this argument has been. But you can continue if you believe I've missed a point. I thoroughly enjoy debates even if it is over cartoon ponies. Chicken
avatar
Harold_Genhi
Earth Pony

Posts : 100
Brohoof! : 1
Join date : 2012-01-06
Age : 25
Location : Quadrant V

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Ketchup on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Harold_Genhi wrote:Sigh... you said she bought a new cart. What about her already existing cart? Where did that one go?
Smashed by the Ursa Major.
avatar
Ketchup
The Condiment

Posts : 4897
Brohoof! : 114
Join date : 2012-05-09
Age : 20
Location : New Brunswick, Canada

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Harold_Genhi on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:33 pm

Ketchup wrote:
Harold_Genhi wrote:Sigh... you said she bought a new cart. What about her already existing cart? Where did that one go?
Smashed by the Ursa Major.
I admit my lapse of knowledge on that point. The rest of my argument still stands. Touche. Dash clapping
avatar
Harold_Genhi
Earth Pony

Posts : 100
Brohoof! : 1
Join date : 2012-01-06
Age : 25
Location : Quadrant V

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S03E05 Magic Duel

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum