Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Caoimhe on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Is there some sort of "after" plan for Horizons? I mean, balefiring the shit out of everything did the deed already but I suppose after Horizons wipes out the world it would also eliminate the radiation/enervation/taint as well as kill everything. This could make for an interesting dilemma.

I really wish that vanilla FoE's epilogue didn't happen as it would raise more tension for what's to come.


Last edited by Caoimhe on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Posts : 1182
Brohoof! : 264
Join date : 2012-07-11
Location : Providence, RI

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by CannonFodder on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:53 pm

SilentCarto wrote:Well, it seems clear that Cog is nominally in control of the defense systems. They're not coordinated, mostly running independently, but she can temporarily assume control of them. So she's probably the core defense computer that Sanguine mentioned.

The "other system" is still something of a mystery, if indeed there's only one of them. The "kill Sanguine" orders might have come from some automated system that Cog had to keep under control, since Dawn described her as spending almost all her clock cycles on tasks like that. Or it might have been something Cog was doing, but kept from Dawn much as she did the attempts to murder BJ. For that matter, the person impersonating Spike on Goldie's terminal seemed more clever and stable (and encouraging) than Cog, but that message could have come from Dawn herself.

On the other hoof, "Spike" told BJ to hide just before the Steel Harbingers broke in, so odds are they were not allied with Cog. In fact, the unarmed and strangely nonresponsive suit of armor might not have belonged to Steel Rain's group at all... it could have represented a third-party observer, and that's how "Spike" knew to tell her to hide.

I really don't know who implanted the memories anymore, since it seems that there are potentially more than two sides to this, but I still stand by my suspicion that it was Green Line. Dawn didn't mention that act among Cog's "help", and it's such an oblique tactic that it doesn't seem like Cog's style.

So does anyone currently want Horizons activated, that we know of?
It does seem like there's a third party other than cognitum and the harbringers.

Personally I like the theory that there's two AI in hoofington fighting for dominance, cause it's far more logical than just Cognitum being crazy.

If there's another third party allied with another AI then we may eventually see them later on, but I doubt if we do it's going to be mind shattering levels of dramatic reveal so much as they didn't have the resources or manpower to directly help Blackjack. Like I don't think Goldenblood is going to come down on a spaceship with aliens levels of dramatic more of a small group of ponies and a AI watching Blackjack making sure Cognitum doesn't take control of the city and kill Blackjack.
avatar
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Posts : 328
Brohoof! : 5
Join date : 2012-11-05

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Luminous Lead on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:08 pm

All this talk of RedLine-BlueLine has me really wondering what really happened to Rainbow Dash.

On the subject of Changelings and whether or not they could be in it: please remember that taint also existed prior season 2, even though we all know now it was developed with Discord's blood by the FlimFlam bros. Any hidden variables in the story could potentially be filled with things from the show, with us none the wiser until they are actually brought into the light.

So long story short- who knows?

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

Posts : 116
Brohoof! : 21
Join date : 2012-09-23

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Luminous%20Lead

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by FeatherDust on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:47 am

SilentCarto wrote:So does anyone currently want Horizons activated, that we know of?
It's still possible Cogs wants it activated and was lying to Dawn when it claimed it wanted Horizons locked down forever.

Who knows? Maybe nobody wants Horizons turned on, at least not without a lot of preparation.

I do think whoever was imitating Spike in Goldenblood's cottage basement is on the side of good; I suspect that was Green Line and that they're friendly and helpful, but limited. (Again, I'm thinking it's a Crusader with a brain-copy or something.)

Possibly unrelated ramble:
Cogs wanted EC-1101 to "GIVE ME LIFE", and what that actually means is still up in the air. It seems a lot of people have interpreted that to mean biological life, but I don't necessarily agree. EC-1101 gives the bearer control over EVERYTHING, right? It's Princess-level command access to every equestrian system.

Well, look. Coggie is currently wrapped up in the Core pretty neatly. It has a certain amount of access into the Hoofington area, but even that is contested control (opposed by Green Line, apparently). Everything we've seen says that Cog's access to the Hoof is severely limited, limited to rare breakthroughs and the occasional ordinance deployment from within the Core itself. I'm guessing "give me life" means it wants to expand and be able to take over more or less the whole wasteland, and EC-1101 gives it that. A way to shut down Green Line and access to the outside.
avatar
FeatherDust
Hydra

Posts : 546
Brohoof! : 112
Join date : 2012-05-25

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by nebulous on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:56 am

I think Cog really doesn't want Horizons to launch, since Cog is allied with the Eater I'm with the theory that Horizons is an anti-EoS superweapon.

Green Line: a clever hacker AI on the side of good. Who could it be? We've already met someone who easily fits the description: Applebot.
avatar
nebulous
Colt/Filly

Posts : 36
Brohoof! : 9
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 23
Location : Louisiana

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by CannonFodder on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:19 am

FeatherDust wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:So does anyone currently want Horizons activated, that we know of?
It's still possible Cogs wants it activated and was lying to Dawn when it claimed it wanted Horizons locked down forever.

Who knows? Maybe nobody wants Horizons turned on, at least not without a lot of preparation.

I do think whoever was imitating Spike in Goldenblood's cottage basement is on the side of good; I suspect that was Green Line and that they're friendly and helpful, but limited. (Again, I'm thinking it's a Crusader with a brain-copy or something.)
It could be.

If I had to take a guess of what's going to happen eventually happen is that when EC-1101 finds out that no one in the pre-war chain of command is left that it will open up permission to the pony holding it. Makes sense really, cause the last destination is and was a military base. So once it determines that the pony last on the list is dead then whoever would have been acting commanding officer on the base would have been given EC-1101.

Now the question is once EC-1101 finds out the last pony on the list is dead what will it do?

It could be something to do with the military since the last destination is a military base. It's possible that it does activate project horizons. However I don't think it's a doomsday machine. That doesn't seem very logical to have a system that destroys the world after the program already has determined the world has been destroyed.


Last edited by CannonFodder on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Posts : 328
Brohoof! : 5
Join date : 2012-11-05

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by swicked on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:20 am

nebulous wrote:Green Line: a clever hacker AI on the side of good. Who could it be? We've already met someone who easily fits the description: Applebot.
1. Not a hacker, a mechanic/architect/inventor. Hardware-focused, primarily. Significant difference between the two. We aren't in fallout 1&2 space, where a high science skill means you know how to do anything any learned person could do, regardless of field.
2. Dead. We haven't heard from her before or since, so I would go with her place being wrecked, especially since it was crashed by enclave. If Blackjack ever goes back to try and find her I'd expect the place picked clean. Kinda sad, really, but she was an artifact, anyway.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6601
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by nebulous on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:03 am

Wasn't Applebloom the inventor of terminals and PipBucks and a driving force behind the computer revolution in the first place? I'd think she'd be pretty familiar with the software side of things, especially after two centuries to study it as a robot.

As for being dead, my impression on first reading the scene was that the local hologram bot was remote operated. And, meta evidence, but we never learned why or how Applebot existed, so that points towards us seeing more of her in the future.
avatar
nebulous
Colt/Filly

Posts : 36
Brohoof! : 9
Join date : 2012-08-06
Age : 23
Location : Louisiana

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by SilentCarto on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:52 am

I was just thinking, I know the Crusaders' name and symbology probably came straight from Twist!Arloste, but as of "One Bad Apple", the concept of the CMCs has disseminated beyond Ponyville.

Caoimhe wrote:I really wish that vanilla FoE's epilogue didn't happen as it would raise more tension for what's to come.
But remember, BJ's vision of the future did include FOE wrapping up the way it did, long before the "present day" of the dream. It took years for Hoofington to rise fully, but with EC-1101 in Cognitum's end-effectors, not even Littlepip and Celestia One could stop it.

CannonFodder wrote:It does seem like there's a third party other than cognitum and the harbringers.

Personally I like the theory that there's two AI in hoofington fighting for dominance, cause it's far more logical than just Cognitum being crazy.

If there's another third party allied with another AI then we may eventually see them later on, but I doubt if we do it's going to be mind shattering levels of dramatic reveal so much as they didn't have the resources or manpower to directly help Blackjack. Like I don't think Goldenblood is going to come down on a spaceship with aliens levels of dramatic more of a small group of ponies and a AI watching Blackjack making sure Cognitum doesn't take control of the city and kill Blackjack.
To clarify, the "third party" I mentioned was 'third' relative to Blackjack and the Harbingers. Probably Green Line... or whoever was impersonating Spike. I strongly suspect Green Line is aligned with the OIA. The eponymous green trace on the Hippocratic network diagram entered through the security node, which suggests that it has security access that even Cog, the city defense system, doesn't.

I didn't mean to suggest there was a third AI (or operator) involved, just that the info Dawn gave us about Cog makes it clear that Cog has far less control than I believed before. There are a large number of systems -- such as the Core defense lasers at Mercy -- running on local control. It's less a vast empire of AI-controlled systems and more an array of city-states with Cog suborning one or two at a time. So absent any other evidence (such as screaming GIVE GIVE GIVE), any action by an electronic system might be Cog, or might just be an isolated system blindly executing its programming.
avatar
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Posts : 1585
Brohoof! : 393
Join date : 2012-05-08
Age : 38
Location : Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by swicked on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:14 am

nebulous wrote:Wasn't Applebloom the inventor of terminals and PipBucks and a driving force behind the computer revolution in the first place? I'd think she'd be pretty familiar with the software side of things, especially after two centuries to study it as a robot.

As for being dead, my impression on first reading the scene was that the local hologram bot was remote operated. And, meta evidence, but we never learned why or how Applebot existed, so that points towards us seeing more of her in the future.
I took that to mean she created the hardware, though. In the end she is still an earth pony and could never craft a spell matrix, so the "programming" was done by someone else. We don't see many memories of her but she's never shown an interest in spellcraft, only in design. Stuff like the pipbuck timestop SATS spell is really advanced, after all.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6601
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Quotidian on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Okay, holy shit. I know this has been said probably a thousand times, but god damn this was a good chapter. Back flip tank fight limbsplosions aside (and as silly as some of that was I did enjoy having another big action sequence) there's so much to like here.

P-21's back, and did anyone else think that without the Med-X scrambling his brain, he's even cleverer now than he was before?

Plus, Dawn and the Harbingers. Now I think it's been established that I'm not a clever pony, but I really didn't see that coming. Were there hints that she was behind them this whole time? I did think it was kind of weird that she showed up when she did, but I didn't see the full on ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL coming.

Deus ex Tankina was well played and absolutely fucking terrifying now that I've had some time to think about it. Reminds me a lot of some of Keith Thompson's creepier stuff.

And there was finally a callback to the exploding mare back in Tenpony tower. Sometimes I feel like there's almost too much going on in this story to keep it all in my head. I don't know how Somber does it.

avatar
Quotidian
Earth Pony

Posts : 180
Brohoof! : 49
Join date : 2012-05-18
Age : 28
Location : Houston, Texas

Character List:
Name: Drifter
Sex: Male
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Meleagridis on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:18 pm

SilentCarto wrote:The eponymous green trace on the Hippocratic network diagram entered through the security node, which suggests that it has security access that even Cog, the city defense system, doesn't.
Unless she isn't the defense system.
We've all just been assuming that she's the grid, mostly because she's got all the robots. But what if she's not the house? Maybe she's the squatter? The virus? An invader in Hoofington, living on borrowed time in borrowed bots and trying (in my interpretation of 'GIVE ME LIFE') to patch/fix/invent itself to consciousness.
I'm going to try and find the chapter when she first wakes up. Maybe there's a hint there.

swicked wrote: Stuff like the pipbuck timestop SATS spell is really advanced, after all.
But that's StableTec, right? Under her jurisdiction. But more importantly: if I'm remembering right, Applebot basically said that she was pretty much the same as Applebloom, as far as Blackjack was concerned. But she's not a soul jar because she was clearly destroyed. Yet it's been made quite clear that the only other way to fully imprint a personality without 50s-era scifi mishaps is a Crusader Mainframe. There's still one or two unnacounted for, right? And Applebot seems way too small to be a huge mainframe.

So the odds are slim that the robot BJ talked to was the source of the Applebloom in Applebot. If the Applebloom didn't come from Applebot, could she have fled to safety when Applebot failed?

Randombuttons wrote:

@O. Hinds and @Meleagridis, would you mind filling me in on this "Moojave Project" you mentioned?
They basically got it. I'mma make a thread in hope of potential input, so details will go there. Essentially it's making a chunk of wasteland, another setting.

Luminous Lead and Kippershy wrote:Changelings

I love changelings and all, but I just don't see it. She was already flayed alive for her cyber-lovecraftian 'upgrade,' I'm pretty sure only Blackjack is allowed to get such an overdose of templates. A cyborg-zombie-Unified-mutant is okay on it's own, no need to add in robo-changeling-enclave.

Besides, if Glory were half-ling, wouldn't that be a convenient out of the whole Rainbow situation?
avatar
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Posts : 866
Brohoof! : 134
Join date : 2012-05-09
Location : Location, Location

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by swicked on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Rampage the red-striped zebra
Had a very bloody past
She never had much friendship
What she got would never last
All of the other ponies
Listened to all of Priest's claims
They never let poor Rampage
Join in any pony games

But one horrid, stormy night
Dawn then came to say
"Blackjack, give me that program
Or I'll turn those kids to spam!"

Oh, then Rampage helped kick their butts
Sent them packing in a fuss
So then the other ponies
Said "Rampage, you're one of us!"

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6601
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Meleagridis on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:41 pm

swicked wrote:
Twilight Sparkle

That reminds me- Sekashi kicked ass for the first time this chapter. There are probably a bunch of readers who got caught off-guard by that, especially if they didn't pay attention when she explained her past (the second time).

I'm increasingly positive that when either Lancer or Sekashi say the last things they will say in Project Horizons, that one will bear close witness to the other.

...Wonder what Lancer's up to.
avatar
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Posts : 866
Brohoof! : 134
Join date : 2012-05-09
Location : Location, Location

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:13 pm

CannonFodder wrote:
FeatherDust wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:So does anyone currently want Horizons activated, that we know of?
It's still possible Cogs wants it activated and was lying to Dawn when it claimed it wanted Horizons locked down forever.

Who knows? Maybe nobody wants Horizons turned on, at least not without a lot of preparation.

I do think whoever was imitating Spike in Goldenblood's cottage basement is on the side of good; I suspect that was Green Line and that they're friendly and helpful, but limited. (Again, I'm thinking it's a Crusader with a brain-copy or something.)
It could be.

If I had to take a guess of what's going to happen eventually happen is that when EC-1101 finds out that no one in the pre-war chain of command is left that it will open up permission to the pony holding it. Makes sense really, cause the last destination is and was a military base. So once it determines that the pony last on the list is dead then whoever would have been acting commanding officer on the base would have been given EC-1101.

Now the question is once EC-1101 finds out the last pony on the list is dead what will it do?

It could be something to do with the military since the last destination is a military base. It's possible that it does activate project horizons. However I don't think it's a doomsday machine. That doesn't seem very logical to have a system that destroys the world after the program already has determined the world has been destroyed.
Aren't you forgetting the Descendant Protocol? Or are you assuming that it won't work?

swicked wrote:especially since it was crashed by enclave. If Blackjack ever goes back to try and find her I'd expect the place picked clean.
Wait, when did the GPE (or even just Thunderhead) hit Stable-Tec R&D?
avatar
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Posts : 4850
Brohoof! : 382
Join date : 2012-05-09

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:15 pm

Also, nallar.me/fics is down again.
avatar
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Posts : 4850
Brohoof! : 382
Join date : 2012-05-09

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by CannonFodder on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:31 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Aren't you forgetting the Descendant Protocol? Or are you assuming that it won't work?
I'm not saying that it won't work so much as the program had several fall backs in case the chain of command was all killed. It'd be kind of dumb to create a program that only a small number of ponies that can over time be fired or replaced on the list and then when the end comes nobody other than a relative can use it. After all what were the chances that a relative of the mane 6 would be stationed at the base? It would also make sense why the last destination for the program is a military base, cause they would have a acting commanding officer regardless so long as some of the ponies hadn't died yet.
avatar
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Posts : 328
Brohoof! : 5
Join date : 2012-11-05

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Luminous Lead on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:49 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
Luminous Lead and Kippershy wrote:Changelings

I love changelings and all, but I just don't see it. She was already flayed alive for her cyber-lovecraftian 'upgrade,' I'm pretty sure only Blackjack is allowed to get such an overdose of templates. A cyborg-zombie-Unified-mutant is okay on it's own, no need to add in robo-changeling-enclave.

Besides, if Glory were half-ling, wouldn't that be a convenient out of the whole Rainbow situation?

I'm not saying that changelings are or should be in the story, or that Dawn was one, merely that we can't rule them out on character introduction times alone. Thinking about it though, if Glory could have had an easy out the whole time, wouldn't that be really "funny"?

Also, we're all asuming that Cognitum is based in the core. Is it at all possible that she's actually broadcasting wirelessly from say, the moon? Would explain why she has very little control/authority in the core.

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

Posts : 116
Brohoof! : 21
Join date : 2012-09-23

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Luminous%20Lead

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
But that's StableTec, right? Under her jurisdiction. But more importantly: if I'm remembering right, Applebot basically said that she was pretty much the same as Applebloom, as far as Blackjack was concerned. But she's not a soul jar because she was clearly destroyed. Yet it's been made quite clear that the only other way to fully imprint a personality without 50s-era scifi mishaps is a Crusader Mainframe. There's still one or two unnacounted for, right? And Applebot seems way too small to be a huge mainframe.

So the odds are slim that the robot BJ talked to was the source of the Applebloom in Applebot. If the Applebloom didn't come from Applebot, could she have fled to safety when Applebot failed?

It's possible that there are more Crusaders, but I believe there only three were established in FoE (and I don't especially remember more--built without Scootaloo's knowledge, though I guess she could just have been lying about the count--being talked about in PH) (also, the aesthetics of the name is lessened if more than three were made): the one in Spike's cave, which was dormant; the one in Stable 29, which never had a mind uploaded; and the MoA's SPP Crusader, which was occupied and soul-jarred by Celestia. But she could perhaps be imprinted in another, lesser maneframe.
avatar
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Posts : 1208
Brohoof! : 308
Join date : 2012-06-05
Age : 28
Location : Boston, MA

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Icy Shake wrote:But she could perhaps be imprinted in another, lesser maneframe.
I've got Elusive as a network AI, for instance, fully distributed but based primarily and originally in a group of beowulfed lesser maneframes aboard the Elusive. If Cognitum's not on a knockoff Crusader, she might be on something like that; it would fit with the scale she can bring to bear.

(Incidentally, does anyone remember the name of Beowulf's horse?)
avatar
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Posts : 4850
Brohoof! : 382
Join date : 2012-05-09

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by RoboRed on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:34 pm

Nope, I haven't read Beowulf since my sophomore year of high school.

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

avatar
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 13859
Brohoof! : 717
Join date : 2012-05-09
Age : 28
Location : Nebraska

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Sindri on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Luminous Lead wrote:I'm not saying that changelings are or should be in the story, or that Dawn was one, merely that we can't rule them out on character introduction times alone. Thinking about it though, if Glory could have had an easy out the whole time, wouldn't that be really "funny"?

Also, we're all asuming that Cognitum is based in the core. Is it at all possible that she's actually broadcasting wirelessly from say, the moon? Would explain why she has very little control/authority in the core.

I think Somber said that she'd never use Changelings. On the other hoof, I think she said the same about Princess Cadence, who later got a mention in a flashback...
I think that Dawn-as-a-changeling is highly unlikely on its own though, and Glory even less so. For one thing, you don't chrome up a shapeshifter. And if changelings operate by illusion instead of actual shifting, she'd at least have covered her eyes with that and there would never have been a need for such a... visceral reveal when Cogs decided to assume direct control.

Now, as for the broadcast... I still feel like it originated in the Core, but that's a possibility. But if she were controlling things from an overhead view, shouldn't she have the same level of influence over the whole Wasteland? And wouldn't her control be limited to about four hours a day while it's in the 60 degree arc where you get a decent signal? It would explain the shredding of the mare who left and talk at Tenpony, but that's easy to explain with a preprogrammed kill setting operating autonomously.


@Hinds
Sorry, can't recall a name ever being given for his steed. And wikipedia isn't helping.
avatar
Sindri
Changeling

Posts : 1156
Brohoof! : 171
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Vergil on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:48 pm

RoboRed wrote:Nope, I haven't read Beowulf since my sophomore year of high school.

I didn't think he had a named horse...
avatar
Vergil
Mobius One

Posts : 666
Brohoof! : 76
Join date : 2012-06-20
Age : 29

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Icy Shake on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Sindri wrote:I think Somber said that she'd never use Changelings. On the other hoof, I think she said the same about Princess Cadence, who later got a mention in a flashback...
And, I think, in correspondence. Though it raises an interesting question about continuity:
Fallout Equestria, chapter 29 (emphasis mine) wrote:“Trixie, you know you don’t have to do this…”
“Oh, I want to,” the blue unicorn insisted. “I want to help. And… this will make me more powerful? Like Luna and Celestia?”
“Well, not that powerful. But more powerful, yes.”
“Like you then?”
Twilight Sparkle looked uncomfortable. “We’re hoping for more than that.”
“And… it’s safe, right?”
“Absolutely,” Twilight Sparkle assured the blue unicorn on the catwalk below her. “All the tests have come back looking spectacular. The only variable is, well, dosage. And for that we need to do testing with pony volunteers like you. With luck, we’ll get it right the first time, and you’ll be the first new alicorn since Luna was born.
Which invites a few interpretations of Cadence:
1) She didn't exist in the FoE universe.
2) She was older than Luna.
3) Twilight (and presumably Trixie) forgot about the existence of her sister-in-law and collaborator (respectively, a major public figure--or maybe she just didn't want to make Twilight look/feel stupid by pointing it out).
4) She wasn't (really) an alicorn. (Incidentally, I think this works best at preserving what we've seen in FoE and PH, out of those I came up with.)

Any other suggestions or interpretations?
avatar
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Posts : 1208
Brohoof! : 308
Join date : 2012-06-05
Age : 28
Location : Boston, MA

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Sindri on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Icy Shake wrote:
Which invites a few interpretations of Cadence:
1) She didn't exist in the FoE universe.
2) She was older than Luna.
3) Twilight (and presumably Trixie) forgot about the existence of her sister-in-law and collaborator (respectively, a major public figure--or maybe she just didn't want to make Twilight look/feel stupid by pointing it out).
4) She wasn't (really) an alicorn. (Incidentally, I think this works best at preserving what we've seen in FoE and PH, out of those I came up with.)

Any other suggestions or interpretations?
I've always held to #4, interpreting Cadence as a unicorn with a mutation giving her partial expression of pegasus traits. A true alicorn has full expression of traits from all three varieties of pony and a significant power boost on top of that.


On a largely unrelated note, the talk about Cogs' signal and influence reminded me... The Dealer seems to show up effortlessly in some areas, strain in some, and be completely unable to manifest in others. Thoughts on the possibility that he actually resides off-site and connects to Blackjack's pipbuck remotely to observe or talk?
avatar
Sindri
Changeling

Posts : 1156
Brohoof! : 171
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Ketchup on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Well, she might not have been born an alicorn, but that doesn't make much sense since the only way to make alicorns didn't exist at that time and was only used in a controlled manner once.
avatar
Ketchup
The Condiment

Posts : 4897
Brohoof! : 114
Join date : 2012-05-09
Age : 20
Location : New Brunswick, Canada

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Sindri on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Ooh, ooh, poison joke?
avatar
Sindri
Changeling

Posts : 1156
Brohoof! : 171
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Pretty much everything Dealer said seems to indicate that EC-1101 is bonded to his own soul. Which mean that if EC-1101 is in BJ's pipbuck, it's where he is.
avatar
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Posts : 8732
Brohoof! : 543
Join date : 2012-05-17
Age : 27
Location : Fancee

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Ketchup on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:03 pm

I don't see any potential jokes involved aside from being used as a javelin. And it wears off, doesn't it?
avatar
Ketchup
The Condiment

Posts : 4897
Brohoof! : 114
Join date : 2012-05-09
Age : 20
Location : New Brunswick, Canada

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Sindri on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Ketchup wrote:I don't see any potential jokes involved aside from being used as a javelin. And it wears off, doesn't it?
Yeah... and she's not blue anywhere. Nevermind.
avatar
Sindri
Changeling

Posts : 1156
Brohoof! : 171
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum