Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 5 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by CannonFodder on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:57 am

swicked wrote:Someone check my logic here:
1. Glory said said she thinks she may have "wet" (they were in the rain, so they were all wet to a degree) herself while fighting the harbingers.
2. She fought them by flying around above their heads, shooting while doing tricks to dodge their fire.
3. Ponies don't wear pants or underwear, and Glory is no exception.

Does this, or does this not, mean that she likely "wet" far more people than just herself? XP
"Wait. . . that's not rain!"
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 5

http://cf6.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:37 am

1. Glory said said she thinks she may have "wet" (they were in the rain, so they were all wet to a degree) herself while fighting the harbingers.
2. She fought them by flying around above their heads, shooting while doing tricks to dodge their fire.

Does this, or does this not, mean that she likely "wet" far more people than just herself? XP
Well, I believe some armor types do actually come with pants, they're just not very often described or depicted.

Seriousness aside... this made me laugh for the first time in a week, thank you swicked.
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:11 am

Just found this picture when searching <a href="http://calamityb31.deviantart.com/">this guy</a> so I could ask him for a commission. Haven't seen this picture posted before...

Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:53 am

Better pissed off than pissed on. Oh wait. Spike

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ironmonger

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 am

Icy Shake wrote:Recalling the "missile gap" scare, it would put you in great company, including a sitting US senator and future POTUS, or before that (during the "bomber gap" times) the USAF, which operated on the principle that air defense was a waste of resources because "the bomber will always get through"; in fact, you were more likely to be targeted for saying that things were fine, undermining support for further investment.
I always thought the movie Wargames and its ilk were kind of weird. They seek to convince us that nuclear war is an everybody-loses proposition; "the only winning move is not to play". I mean, yes, true, but... that's kind of the point. Thank you for explaining the basis of the MAD scenario. Nobody dares to make the first move because nobody wins if they open fire. Did you have anything new to add?
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mister Nikel on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Those two links about Mare Cognitum and Project Horizons were an
interesting read, but they made things more confusing than clear if
anything. If Cognitum is related to the moon wouldn't that mean that she really is the "good" side?

We've seen that compressed moon dust/lunar ore destroys star metal with explosive effectiveness when in proximity. Why would an evil soul eating goddess call herself after the only thing that can harm her? Seems kinda weird.

We know that Hoofington core is controlled by two equally powerful AI's that overrun each others commands repeatedly in an endless cycle of control.

This makes me think that Cognitum is NOT in fact the eater of souls, but a third party truly interested in destroying it for whatever reason.

And this is the part where educated guessing ends and wild mass guessing starts. I think Cognitum might be the fail safe keeping the eater underneath Hoofington. Since It's a machine it obviously does not have empathy and exists only to fulfill it's programming, hence the absolute disregard for equine lives.

Also Dawn hinted that Cognitum needs EC-1101 for obtaining total control over the Hoofington Core and Project Horizons, while a threat was not the primary reason for wanting to obtain it.

The question of who the second AI is still stands though.

That's my five cents anyways. Somber is a a god damn wizard of reveals and Chekhov's guns so no one can guess what is going inside that mans head untill he tells us himself. Any attempts to guess the plot of PH is like trying to catch fish with your bare hands while wearing boxing gloves.
Mister Nikel
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 9

Back to top Go down

I put one and one together and it added up to Deus!

Post by Meleagridis on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:00 pm

Guess who finally caught up?

Mech wrote:

I made it, too.

There is one mistake that I don't think anyone pointed out yet.
The Amazing Gender-Bending Ripper:
PH Ch52 wrote:I saw one Steel Ranger with two grenade machine guns preparing to blast us out of the sky when a white filly with red stripes jumped on his back. For a moment it was a bit of a comical sight, the armored pony giving her a piggyback ride. Then the ripper clenched in her jaws whirred as she rammed it against the side of the ranger’s neck between two armored plates, spraying out sparks. The Ranger thrashed wildly as we flew over them, and then the armored pony started screaming as the ripper sunk through and into her neck, the screeching saw blade painting Rampage’s face red as the Ranger collapsed.

Rippers seem to have magical gender-swapping properties. Rampage jumped on 'his' back and shoved the weapon into 'her' neck.

Just a couple noticings from the latest chapter:
Like pretty much everyone else, I was sufficiently blown away by this one. I don't think there's been any sort of slump recently, there simply hasn't been as much over-the-topness as usual. And now we get a spectacular dose all in one sitting. There were some points (Dawn's transformation, the stair backflipping, the overacrobatics) where I was rolling my eyes... but I was also smiling.

Now that we have confirmation that Blackjack is supposed to be in tremendous pain right now, I am seriously concerned. This is nothing if not a set-up for her screaming, writhing torment-to-come. I foresee... wincing. Lots of wincing.

P-21. Good. Remind us why we like him. Remind us why he's there. More than a foil, more than grumpy, more than the one with the grenades... he's clever. Mixed with all his subtle Plan Bs that showed up in the memory orb, he is clearly back in the story proper.

Glory still needs that moment.

Cognitum's not having fun.
She just wants her ergo sum.
She'll give and take from everyone
Just to get her share

That gives me a weird idea...

CannonFodder wrote:You know what's even more disturbing? That the harbringers obviously don't value life and death. Meaning that what has become of Dawn could be happening to other ponies as well and that makes them by far the most dangerous enemy Blackjack has had to fight yet.

From earlier descriptions, they all seemed to be nothing more than ordinary citizenry swayed and equipped with high-grade supplies. I doubt any of the grunts know that they're in an operation with kill-implants and exploding trojan pegasi. If any of them survived the Blueblood Battle, I seriously doubt they'll be sticking with the outfit after seeing that. The more decent ones may even try to warn their friends before something as messed up happens to them, too.

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Sindri wrote:He is one of the few around who's never murdered a foal...
Murdered ? Probably not.

Some other things, though ? I wouldn't bet on that...
He lost it in Hightower, and spent the rest of his days from then on in the battlefield or containment. I certainly hope neither side was using child soldiers. But knowing how bad things can get...

CalamityWhen wrote:
"Ramage"
RAMAGE

Kippershy wrote:The reason why everypony descendant from Dawn looks pretty much the same is...
Dawn was there before changelings existed.

Sorry.

Mister Nikel wrote:
Also Dawn hinted that Cognitum needs EC-1101 for obtaining total control over the Hoofington Core and Project Horizons, while a threat was not the primary reason for wanting to obtain it.
If that's the only reason, then she's not the Cyberdaemon we all assumed she was. Cybie made it clear in the Hippocratic attack that it wants life. Presumably being alive.

FeatherDust wrote:So, opinions:
Does Dawn still exist inside that cyber-monstrosity, or did the remainder of her brain get burned out along with the rest of her flesh? I'm thinking that last sad look that got consumed by the green light was Dawn dying...
If I rephrase the question, can I answer it? Ehem.
FeatherDust wrote:Q: Is Dawn's suffering over?
A: This is Project Horizons
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Mister Nikel wrote:Since It's a machine it obviously does not have empathy and exists only to fulfill it's programming, hence the absolute disregard for equine lives.
Okay, I'm not as enthusiastic a supporter of nonbiological sophont rights as Bronode is, but even I find that rude.

Meleagridis wrote:There is one mistake that I don't think anyone pointed out yet.
Ah, thanks.

By the way, any more news on the Moojave project?
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlong Analysis Cobalt on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:42 pm

@Mister Nikel
I think the problem with the first bit of your theory (Mare Cognitum = moon = anti-eater) is that Cognitum doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the moon - it's just a latin word, one that happens to be a name for one of the lunar mares. I do think that we can't necessarily know its motives just yet, though; it's obviously working counter to Blackjack and co., and seemingly towards grim ends, but it may not be aligned with the EoS. It might be influenced by it, incidentally, which could be interesting.
Overlong Analysis Cobalt
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:43 pm

O. Hinds wrote:

I wouldn't really call it a 'project'. I don't have the get-up-and-go for anything like a 'project'. If I did, it would be done by now. If I cited not having a computer as the reason for failing to produce anything substantial, (as I have done quite a few times in recent memory) then that is evidence of a certain lack of motivation on my part. A delay? Reasonable. A hiatus? Less so.

The itch called 'Moojave' is more of a story. Just a little something to pass out some of my own personal bovine headcanon and to make another Fallout adventure (probably with some inspiration from All Roads, if I ever got down to finding and reading it). I could try to think about something a bit more... grand... but it is far from a strength for me.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:58 pm

If Cognitum is one of two AI fighting for control of the city it's probably gone rampant.

If I were in Blackjack's place I would try and find more out about the other AI. It constantly is cancelling orders to kill blackjack so it may not be on Blackjack's side per say, but it's not gone rampant and is still following the three rules of robotics.
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:

I wouldn't really call it a 'project'. I don't have the get-up-and-go for anything like a 'project'. If I did, it would be done by now. If I cited not having a computer as the reason for failing to produce anything substantial, (as I have done quite a few times in recent memory) then that is evidence of a certain lack of motivation on my part. A delay? Reasonable. A hiatus? Less so.

The itch called 'Moojave' is more of a story. Just a little something to pass out some of my own personal bovine headcanon and to make another Fallout adventure (probably with some inspiration from All Roads, if I ever got down to finding and reading it). I could try to think about something a bit more... grand... but it is far from a strength for me.
Please do let me know if you'd like any input from me; I'm quite interested in this, particularly as it might fit quite well into my own headcanon.

Perhaps that pony settlement you wanted could be built in/around one of the old border forts along the river?

Oh, and might I ask when you're thinking of setting this prospective story (since, if I've understood you correctly, it is indeed more a story than a headcanon you're working on)?

Oh, and here's a rough possible map I've just knocked together, if it looks at all interesting and/or useful to you.:

Oh, and perhaps we might want to continue this privately or something (its own thread?), since we probably ought to not clutter up the PH thread too much.

edit: Oh, you probably ought to not expect an answer too very soon, though; I need to head to lunch so that I can eat before my next class.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Can anyone recall each appearance of Cogs, assuming it and Cyberdaemon are one in the same? I remember the first time they met, Flash Industries, Hippocratic, and this debacle with Dawn. Am I missing anything?

O. Hinds wrote:
Oh, and here's a rough possible map I've just knocked together, if it looks at all interesting and/or useful to you.:
This is exactly why I was delighted to hear that you were interested. And you're right- this is getting off topic. New thread or private messages?

CannonFodder wrote:If Cognitum is one of two AI fighting for control of the city it's probably gone rampant.

If I were in Blackjack's place I would try and find more out about the other AI. It constantly is cancelling orders to kill blackjack so it may not be on Blackjack's side per say, but it's not gone rampant and is still following the three rules of robotics.

What are the odds of Cogs being the one countermanding Cog's orders? It hasn't exactly been showing the most stability. Dawn (or Cognitum itself) could have been lying about blasting apart the Hightower warden. They could also have been honest. Maybe.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Not very likely. Cognitum has shown clear disregard for the three laws of robotics. If there's another AI it probably is saving blackjack not out of it wanting to or is on blackjack's side, but because it's following the three laws of robotics and that's it. Meaning it's trying to stop cognitum just cause it's programming says to not let harm come to ponies.

IF I had to make a random guess as to what is the other AI I'd have to say maybe it's a maintenance AI meant to maintain the city. The other AI has yet to try and make contact with Blackjack or other ponies and seems to be only doing basic level processes and maintaining it's programming. It would make sense really. If the other AI was a maintenance AI meant to maintain all the goings on in the cities and Cognitum was trying to take over they would be fighting for permissions for the machines. The other AI would be eternally upholding the three laws of robotics, telling maintenance robots to continue forever trying to repair the city and doing what it's programmed to do. Basically my guess is that the other AI is a dumb AI and it's a far safer bet for blackjack to give EC-1101 to that AI, because if it's a dumb AI then it would uphold it's programming no matter what cause it would be unable to do what cogs is doing cause it's not intelligent.

My other guess is that Cognitum is a smart AI that was a pre-war research AI. It would make sense to have a creative AI work on military or other research programs cause a dumb AI would not be able to function to the same level in such a degree. Whereas the other AI seems only to be able to do what is programmed to do, Cognitum on the other hand is able to ignore it's programming to achieve results.

Last edited by CannonFodder on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Since when have robots and artificial intelligences in Fallout Equestria shown to be subjected to the "Three Laws of Robotics" ?
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Sindri on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Since when have robots and artificial intelligences in Fallout Equestria shown to be subjected to the "Three Laws of Robotics" ?
Yeah, on any military bot it would just be counterproductive, and on any large scale administrative or infrastructural system it would leave them unable to act during that war; a system designed to save as many people as possible will fail if you program it to not take an action which will allow a single death, because you can't always save everyone. Three-laws programming would only be usable on civilian assistant type bots, who are never supposed to deal with a real hazard.
Sindri
Changeling

Brohoof! : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Sindri wrote:
Harmony Ltd. wrote:Since when have robots and artificial intelligences in Fallout Equestria shown to be subjected to the "Three Laws of Robotics" ?
Yeah, on any military bot it would just be counterproductive, and on any large scale administrative or infrastructural system it would leave them unable to act during that war; a system designed to save as many people as possible will fail if you program it to not take an action which will allow a single death, because you can't always save everyone. Three-laws programming would only be usable on civilian assistant type bots, who are never supposed to deal with a real hazard.
Sorry I edited my post afterwards.

What I meant was the other AI maybe a maintenance AI meant for civilian assistance with the city and thus would be following the three laws, whereas IF cognitum is a military research AI then they would intentionally leave out the three laws or give it exceptions to the laws to follow out it's programming.
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 pm

I get what you mean, but I'll ask again :

When in FoE have we seen robots or AIs, even civilian, shown to be programmed after the Three Laws ?

I don't say your idea is dumb in itself, but my point is that given the setting, this would seem strange to me for the maintenance AI of Hoofington were to be subjected to the Three Laws.

It's very possible that its programming would be relatively close to it ("To Protect & Serve"), but I don't think that if such an AI existed, it would be stricto sensu following the Three Laws as proclaimed by Isaac Asimov.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Meleagridis on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:25 pm

CannonFodder wrote: clear disregard for the three laws of robotics.

The three laws of robotics? You mean never trust ghouls with screwdrivers, griffins are okay, and robots kick ass? Hoo-rah!

In all seriousness, though, the possibility that Cog's nemesis is just the Hoofington defense network is possible... but I can't see much conflict coming from that if it isn't a sapient source. Especially if it's just got the well-being of the citizenry in mind. I just can't believe it's that simple. I'd be easier convinced that Cogs is the security system.
Meleagridis
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous Lead on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Meleagridis wrote:Can anyone recall each appearance of Cogs, assuming it and Cyberdaemon are one in the same? I remember the first time they met, Flash Industries, Hippocratic, and this debacle with Dawn. Am I missing anything?
Was the Hippocratic that one time that they were in the enervation tunnels, when Glory's wing fell off and a giant cybermouth traumatized Scotch?

Meleagridis wrote:What are the odds of Cogs being the one countermanding Cog's orders? It hasn't exactly been showing the most stability. Dawn (or Cognitum itself) could have been lying about blasting apart the Hightower warden. They could also have been honest. Maybe.
I thought Sanguine was countermanding the kill orders, before he died, I mean. Speaking of which, who were those Gryphons working for again?

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 21

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Luminous%20Lead

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Luminous Lead wrote:
I thought Sanguine was countermanding the kill orders, before he died, I mean. Speaking of which, who were those Gryphons working for again?
I forget if it was in Hippocratic or not, but at one point Bj found a terminal showing two traces leaving the core.

One, marked in red, was sending a huge spiderweb of commands. The other, in blue, was blocking and countering the red web with only a single trace. Red as tryo overwhelm with power and numbers, blue was holding it at bay with strategy and subtlety. Silent Carto said it looked like a human fighting a computer, or a single very smart system beating a dumbly straightforward but powerful distributed system.

Dawn identified Coggie as the entity at Flash Ind., which tried a very UN-subtle ruse and the started shouting about GIVE IT TO ME, so we can presume that all the similarly shouting machines are Coggie. That includes the robomination in the tunnels, the ultra sentinel, and... I think one more. Current theory is that was also Red Line.

We have not met Blue Line yet. Hard to tell, but my bet is on a Crusader with a brain download or something like that, where Cogs is a pure AI.

Dawn's transformation did rather put me in the mind of SHODAN, I will admit.
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 pm

What if it's Dawn? She merged with the system with a soul transfer and now is a part of it all? Maybe Cog needed a soul to activate, sorta like how the dealer accompanies EC-1101, but in this case the addition was intentional to give the defenses a sense of right and wrong so as to avoid an instance like what happened at Luna's school. You know, an automated system just killing without anyone at the wheel.

The lockdown and bombs scrambled everything, though, and some parts of the system actuate independently while the super crusader mainframe that was supposed to only act as a copilot has, over hundreds of years of lonelyness, gone bonkers and wants freedom from its forced codependence.

Dawn was an adventurer, a hero with a strong will and knew how to hack stuff. She can resist and has access to everything cog has, while being in a position where she's supposed to be in control. Cog is still a machine, though, and better at this.
They still both have the same goal but she exists to keep cog in relative check, like how redeye intended when it came to that enclave commander.

I mean, the goddess was a being if conflicting wills, red eye's god would have been the same, this one... I dunno. I just like the idea the true Dawn is still fighting the good fight, the equestrians learned (or thought they learned) not to fully automate their defenses, and finally killing Cog one day will be yet another chance for Blackjack to whine about mercy-killing a monster, since Dawn would never be seperate-able from cog.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Randombuttons on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:I get what you mean, but I'll ask again :

When in FoE have we seen robots or AIs, even civilian, shown to be programmed after the Three Laws ?
My exact thoughts on the matter. Plus with superphysical possibilities thrown in, it's hard to tell the line between an AI/tech and a creature when making guesswork.

All this talk about Cog (this terminology is new to me) reminds me of the ending of the original FoE technology-wise.

@O. Hinds and @Meleagridis, would you mind filling me in on this "Moojave Project" you mentioned?

Randombuttons
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 0

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Randombuttons wrote:

@O. Hinds and @Meleagridis, would you mind filling me in on this "Moojave Project" you mentioned?
I know you didn't ask me but, in a nutshell, its a military base run by bramen.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Meleagridis wrote:This is exactly why I was delighted to hear that you were interested. And you're right- this is getting off topic. New thread or private messages?
Looking at the questions below, a new thread might be good. I assume that none of the admins would mind.

Oh, I'm afraid that I can't actually promise my time or anything to this (I tend to be rather busy), but it is interesting; it seems quite not unlikely that I might be able to send some more spare cycles its way.

Randombuttons wrote:

My exact thoughts on the matter. Plus with superphysical possibilities thrown in, it's hard to tell the line between an AI/tech and a creature when making guesswork.

All this talk about Cog (this terminology is new to me) reminds me of the ending of the original FoE technology-wise.

swicked wrote:
Randombuttons wrote:

Not exactly. Well... Not much at all, actually, as I understand it. This is primarily Meleagridis's, but it seems to have begun as a vehicle for bovine puns and developed from there. I don't seem to have saved the original presentation of information, unfortunately, so I'll have to type a summary from what I remember. Basically, there's a mostly-desert region of Equestria with a large bovine population. This is divided into two groups, the... Somethings and the Other Somethings. Both are considered havens for the beleaguered brahmin of Equestria. The Somethings are lead by Someone and headquartered in Cobstown (the location of which has not been specified; it's only my semiheadcanon that puts it at Littlehorn) and focused on research, rehabilitation, and providing a safe haven. They also include a number of somewhat insane minotaurs. The Other Somethings are lead by Other Someone and are nomadic; they focus on making war on the equine oppressors and all that. ...And that seems to be all that I can at present remember of the original presentation.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Randombuttons on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:49 pm

swicked wrote:
Randombuttons wrote:

I couldn't have known. Thank you!

I tend to consider them to not be among the intelligent races of Equestria. That's not to say I'm completely closed to the idea, I'm just very stubborn as far as Equestrian species go.

@O. Hinds, thanks for the summary - if you wanted, it seems you've got something to work with already.
When thinking bovine, should I be thinking of the bisons of FiM, or the... well, cows (cattle)? Bisons have gotten a formal introduction in FiM and they were living in a desert-esque environment, but my guess falls on the latter meaning. I believe bovine stands for both.
(I broke the railroad, better get Scoodle to fix it. Also, I have to find an alternative to @-ing.)

Randombuttons
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 0

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CannonFodder on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
In all seriousness, though, the possibility that Cog's nemesis is just the Hoofington defense network is possible... but I can't see much conflict coming from that if it isn't a sapient source. Especially if it's just got the well-being of the citizenry in mind. I just can't believe it's that simple. I'd be easier convinced that Cogs is the security system.
Meh, I'm not sure what system cognitum is. It has shown higher level thinking and such and you wouldn't waste resources on creating a intelligent AI just to do basic functions. It's definitely not a maintenance AI or something basic. The defenses could be just a part of it's protocols though.
When in FoE have we seen robots or AIs, even civilian, shown to be programmed after the Three Laws

I don't say your idea is dumb in itself, but my point is that given the setting, this would seem strange to me for the maintenance AI of
Hoofington were to be subjected to the Three Laws. It's very possible that its programming would be relatively close to it ("To Protect & Serve"), but I don't think that if such an AI existed, it would be stricto sensu following the Three Laws as proclaimed by Isaac Asimov.
The AI doesn't have to have the three laws of robotics programmed into so much as the AI is programmed to prevent malfunctions with robots or ponies from getting squashed machinery. With all those robots in pre-war hoofington they had to have had some kind of safety AI to keep all the robots from running over ponies.

Last edited by CannonFodder on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
CannonFodder
Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:30 pm

Meleagridis wrote:
Kippershy wrote:The reason why everypony descendant from Dawn looks pretty much the same is...
Dawn was there before changelings existed.

Sorry.

Doesn't mean shit.
You do realise Somber can change any detail of his story at any point he likes, right? Especially ones that haven't had any detail on them to begin with to fit in more with something that's been released long before they make much importance.

All it would take is him going: "Oh, actually, I could use that now I think about it! It'll mean that I can do this and have it more dramatic!"
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:38 pm

I think Somber once said he was not gonna use changelings. In my opinion, they don't make any sense in the wasteland, anyway. As I've said before, they stated that they came to equestria because it was the greatest source of love they had ever found.
It's not that anymore and it hasn't been for a while.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:34 pm

CannonFodder wrote:Meh, I'm not sure what system cognitum is. It has shown higher level thinking and such and you wouldn't waste resources on creating a intelligent AI just to do basic functions. It's definitely not a maintenance AI or something basic. The defenses could be just a part of it's protocols though.
Warning, the following is a disorganized, steam-of-consciousness ramble.

Well, it seems clear that Cog is nominally in control of the defense systems. They're not coordinated, mostly running independently, but she can temporarily assume control of them. So she's probably the core defense computer that Sanguine mentioned.

The "other system" is still something of a mystery, if indeed there's only one of them. The "kill Sanguine" orders might have come from some automated system that Cog had to keep under control, since Dawn described her as spending almost all her clock cycles on tasks like that. Or it might have been something Cog was doing, but kept from Dawn much as she did the attempts to murder BJ. For that matter, the person impersonating Spike on Goldie's terminal seemed more clever and stable (and encouraging) than Cog, but that message could have come from Dawn herself.

On the other hoof, "Spike" told BJ to hide just before the Steel Harbingers broke in, so odds are they were not allied with Cog. In fact, the unarmed and strangely nonresponsive suit of armor might not have belonged to Steel Rain's group at all... it could have represented a third-party observer, and that's how "Spike" knew to tell her to hide.

I really don't know who implanted the memories anymore, since it seems that there are potentially more than two sides to this, but I still stand by my suspicion that it was Green Line. Dawn didn't mention that act among Cog's "help", and it's such an oblique tactic that it doesn't seem like Cog's style.

So does anyone currently want Horizons activated, that we know of?
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 34 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top