Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 6 of 34 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20 ... 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Kippershy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:30 pm

>That feel when I use Project Horizons as a tool to learn how to properly format my own story...

Damn I feel like a cheater right now, but it's surprising that I never took note of this rule before.
Eugh... it's going to take forever to edit all my work to follow proper formatting, when I do so.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:30 pm

I've done a bit of rethinking on my from post last night. I was extremely tired and I think I still had wee bit of pain medicine in my system...so yeah. Anyway the friend I asked about the rough estimate of our distance was coming from a guy who likely wasn't paying attention, my rough estimate is 3.5-5 miles. I was running on 5 hours of sleep, we ran some short distances, I'm not that used to walking and the hills wound back on themselves like a right-angle. I'd been just dandy if it weren't a damn hill. All said I think I did pretty well considering my condition, would have tolerated it more/went farther if I were in better shape.

EDIT: I don't complain about stuff unless I'm really, really surprised about it. Most of the time I keep my mouth shut. Didn't mean to annoy anyone. And after some calculations, this was over 8 miles. Whoa, we were way off.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ironmonger

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:27 pm

OBS.GS.§S wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:*snip*

The safest bet is to never click on ads, ever. Most, if not everything you might want to have software wise can be found through google and sites like Cnet and the like. If you're noticing you don't have access to the same content others do, just post about it and I'm sure someone smarter than me will help you set things straight.

To my experience, ads on the internet are 80% malware, 19.5% poorly designed third rate products, and 0.5% useful things. This is because most legitimate products that work well are able to find their way onto well known sites that specialize in that type of product due to the demand they create, the trash on the other hand, usually winds up on random, unrelated sites that need the money from hosting advertisements to pay the domain hosting fee.

I have no idea what exactly those general download manager things are though since I've never seen the banner ad for them, mainly because I ignore ads in general.
Yeah, that's pretty much my policy. I just happened to last night look up and think "What exactly is this thing that this fake Windows message box is claiming to let me download?"

OBS.GS.§S wrote:As for the political thing, politics aren't my strong suit and don't really interest me unless it's something that affects a vital aspect of my lifestyle, like SOPA was trying to.
Well, you do live in the United States, so... I don't really see how the state of the US government doesn't affect you, but it's not as if I can force you to do anything about it.

OBS.GS.§S wrote:I'm interested in your ideas, I just probably haven't been around when you posted them or I wasn't knowledgeable on the subject to contribute worthwhile feedback. I vaguely remember something about a train idea you had a long time ago, and the reason I didn't comment on it was because I wasn't able to understand what I was looking at due to my lack of knowledge. Also I think that was during the time where I was being overloaded by life and was hopelessly unorganized.

If you want though, I can try to comment on your ideas more often, even if it's just a "That's a neat concept" or "It looks heavy".
Eh, it's fine. I realize that this sort of thing is in some circles a relatively esoteric interest.

OBS.GS.§S wrote:Also, I liked that little scene you wrote with the zebra pilot, for constructive criticism I think the line
"I'd carefully inspected the spotless canopy myself before this flight,
but, as always, I still wanted to open it. I didn't, of course, as
always;"
would benefit from cutting the second "as always" as it would still convey the same message and make it flow better, in my opinion. Overall though I got the general idea and mood of the scene, I enjoyed it.
Oh, thanks. I think that cutting that would change the meaning a bit, though (not that it matters all that much; I've not even decided if I'm going to keep a copy of this yet).
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Erumpet on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:57 pm

@Ironmonger: I can only speak for myself, but I was just giving you a hard time. I didn't mean anything by it.
@O.Hinds:
Bridge: well I really am not qualified to speak on the subject, but that's never stopped me before. So to me this bridge seems like a pretty massive undertaking for such a fledgling society to be building as a double redundancy. I mean they already have air and sea travel, land travel would be nice but not necessary. That being said, I'm not actually sure how difficult or feasible building the bridge would actually be, so I can't help you there.
Politicthing: I'm not 18 so I probably can't do anything helpful, not being an actual human being yet, but if that's not a requirement, sorry I didn't check, I'd be happy to put my name on a list of people for change. No money giving though, sorry.
Erumpet
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 34

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Erumpet wrote:
@O.Hinds:
Bridge: well I really am not qualified to speak on the subject, but that's never stopped me before. So to me this bridge seems like a pretty massive undertaking for such a fledgling society to be building as a double redundancy. I mean they already have air and sea travel, land travel would be nice but not necessary. That being said, I'm not actually sure how difficult or feasible building the bridge would actually be, so I can't help you there.
Politicthing: I'm not 18 so I probably can't do anything helpful, not being an actual human being yet, but if that's not a requirement, sorry I didn't check, I'd be happy to put my name on a list of people for change. No money giving though, sorry.
Well, in large part, it's building for the future. There's also an anticipation that having the bridge and the rail line will bring traffic and development, and the construction will be something for industry to do and a cause for it to be further built up. And, of course, there's political benefit.

I don't recall seeing an age requirement. I might be wrong, but you might want to check.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Erumpet on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:51 pm

First of all I signed up to change America Hinds, so I s'pose just keep me up to date then eh.
Secondly, I can see the bridge being built for rail lines a lot easier than just for walking, I don't know why I didn't think trains before. So yeah with trains it does seem like a practical idea, but as I said before I don't know if actually building the bridge is possible, but with the supports in place, attaching them should be fairly simple. Just add pylons right?
Erumpet
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Fun Idea: Imagine the buffalo tribes started worshiping Khorne.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Kippershy wrote: Stuff

But suddenly I, in full football gear, tackle your derailing ass. Roid Rage

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Oh. is that so? You're going to stop me from derailing?
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Erumpet on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Let's all be mature adults here and just drop this whole derail thing before it really starts going, hmm?
Erumpet
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Damn it Erumpet! You're ruining my plan!

I wasn't going for the derail card, but then Iron brought it up so I was going to troll him into derailing the thread with me without him realising until it was too late..
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Kippershy wrote:
um, what?
Spoiler:
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Kippershy wrote:Damn it Erumpet! You're ruining my plan!

I wasn't going for the derail card, but then Iron brought it up so I was going to troll him into derailing the thread with me without him realising until it was too late..

I was actually about to walk into the snare of your trap but realized it half-way through reading your previous post. Close call. x3 Anyway

INTO THE MOTHERLAND, THE GERMANE ARMY MARCH!
*blaring drums and guitar*

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Erumpet wrote:First of all I signed up to change America Hinds, so I s'pose just keep me up to date then eh.
Secondly, I can see the bridge being built for rail lines a lot easier than just for walking, I don't know why I didn't think trains before. So yeah with trains it does seem like a practical idea, but as I said before I don't know if actually building the bridge is possible, but with the supports in place, attaching them should be fairly simple. Just add pylons right?
Well, me keeping you informed relies on them telling me things without telling you, but we'll see what happens.

The current design of the bridge has it carrying one rail line, three road lanes, and at least two pedestrian walkways.

Oh, it's quite an undertaking and will probably require a decade or so to complete, even with alchemically-engineered materials and extensive use of skycranes and robot labor. The only things in now are the tower foundations, and they probably need work done.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:43 pm

Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:45 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Erumpet wrote:First of all I signed up to change America Hinds, so I s'pose just keep me up to date then eh.
Well, me keeping you informed relies on them telling me things without telling you, but we'll see what happens.

The current design of the bridge has it carrying one rail line, three road lanes, and at least two pedestrian walkways.

Oh, it's quite an undertaking and will probably require a decade or so to complete, even with alchemically-engineered materials and extensive use of skycranes and robot labor. The only things in now are the tower foundations, and they probably need work done.
I'ma gonna let you finish but O.Hinds but your gonna need to define your terms here. First off how large a body of water is this bridge going to cover.

Second is this a waterway, open ocean or a bay of some sort.

And third, this is the important bit, how exactly are you going to construct the bridge supports. Because 60% of your bridge creation is in those supports. In our modern times that means cross hatching steel bolts thirty meters long and two meters across, tens of thousands of tons of concrete per support leg. From initial reads your talking about something ten times longer than Golden Gate or the Russky Bridge but again I missed your hard facts post of bridge dimensions and length..
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by Erumpet on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 pm

@CptAdder: I believe O. Hinds said the bridge supports where put in place pre-bomb drops, as part of a planned bridge. The plan was interrupted by bombs, 200 and some odd years later some ponies come along and say hey, let's finish this bridge.
Erumpet
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 pm

My camarads (yes we really do call eachother that) and I sung that song on our walk. People were given funny looks and I think we insulted a priest on accident. The funny looks weren't helped by the fact most of us were in 50's style suits.

Ironmonger

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Ironmonger wrote:*snip*
FOR THE EMPEROR!:
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Katarn on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:55 pm

For the Empress!:
Katarn
Soviet Bastard

Brohoof! : 351

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by IncoherentOrange on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Spoiler:

Emprah.

Panzerkampf is one of my friend's favorite songs, actually.
IncoherentOrange
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Erumpet on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:01 pm

So here is a question: Blackjack's terrible sense of taste, entirely innate, or partially innate and augmented by her, well, augmentations? What I mean to say is, would all natural Blackjack still like eating Glory Cakes in all their oily goodness? Disregarding of course the fact that they would kill her.
Erumpet
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:03 pm

BJ has a palate completely opposite of Littlepip, so I would think so, yes.

Probably has to do with growing up eating bland recycled food. Anything with different flavour is probably tasty to her.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Only thing I was thinking while reading that entire post:

Scootaburger.
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Chickenburger, best burger
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Cptadder wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:

I'ma gonna let you finish but O.Hinds but your gonna need to define your terms here. First off how large a body of water is this bridge going to cover.

Second is this a waterway, open ocean or a bay of some sort.

And third, this is the important bit, how exactly are you going to construct the bridge supports. Because 60% of your bridge creation is in those supports. In our modern times that means cross hatching steel bolts thirty meters long and two meters across, tens of thousands of tons of concrete per support leg. From initial reads your talking about something ten times longer than Golden Gate or the Russky Bridge but again I missed your hard facts post of bridge dimensions and length..

Erumpet wrote:@CptAdder: I believe O. Hinds said the bridge supports where put in place pre-bomb drops, as part of a planned bridge. The plan was interrupted by bombs, 200 and some odd years later some ponies come along and say hey, let's finish this bridge.

O. Hinds wrote:Of course, that route would have to cross some dangerous territory, but it would also have to cross the Strait of Gibhalter. Train ferries could be utilized, but I've been pondering a bridge design (Like the Turris Prosperitatis, I'm headcanoning construction to have started before the war but have stopped with only the foundations built; those foundations might then have been used for seaforts, but I'm not entirely sure about that bit.). What do you (directed at the forum in general) think about a 75m clearance between the water and the bottom of the bridge structure, 7 390m-tall towers with 2km spans suspended from three cables, one rail line, three road lanes, and 4 pedestrian or miscellaneous paths?
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Erumpet wrote:So here is a question: Blackjack's terrible sense of taste, entirely innate, or partially innate and augmented by her, well, augmentations? What I mean to say is, would all natural Blackjack still like eating Glory Cakes in all their oily goodness? Disregarding of course the fact that they would kill her.

Well then you'd have to consider that Glory wouldn't have made the cakes the same way. First off, since Blackjack doesn't need metal, the nails go, as well as the gemstones and the grease. So then you'd have a flour and grass concoction. Of course it would probably be just as horrible, but it'd be more on the mark of what Dawn was mentioning with "Ah, love..." when Blackjack decides to eat it regardless. She really needs some lessons from P-21 by the looks of it. Sure it's ok for Blackjack, but definitely not save for wholly biological consumption. Now I'm wondering, how would Spike feel about Glory's cooking?
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette

Back to top Go down

Post by Admiral Stoic Rum on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:19 pm

spike and BJ would get along famously for their palate
Admiral Stoic Rum
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 83

Character List:
Name: Dr. Painkiller
Species: Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by OBS.GS.§S on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Erumpet wrote:So here is a question: Blackjack's terrible sense of taste, entirely innate, or partially innate and augmented by her, well, augmentations? What I mean to say is, would all natural Blackjack still like eating Glory Cakes in all their oily goodness? Disregarding of course the fact that they would kill her.

Well, considering that different gem stones and metal taste like fruit or other palatable flavors like mint and such to augmented blackjack, and like rocks to everyone else, I would assume that her augmentations give flavor to substances that would normally be inedible, but are now vital or helpful for Blackjack's general health. Perhaps there are sensors built into her tongue that detect certain chemicals and send a specialized signal to her brain to grant a specific taste based on the chemical detected.

What we would really need to know for certain is an instance where 100% biological Blackjack ate a rock or gem or even a piece of metal, anything that is normally inedible to an average pony but flavorful to Blackjack now would suffice, if such an instance existed.

@O. Hind's Bridge
I think I would be able to give more decent feedback for this if I had more context, such as why the zebras are building this bridge, what it's being made out of, where they are building it specifically (a map would be helpful since I only have a very basic understanding of the layout of the world.) A diagram would be especially helpful, and also I'm a bit unsure on what you want feedback on specifically about the idea, because the best I got right now is that it's very large and would be a rather impressive feat to complete. Also it's multipurpose with the railroad tracks, the normal roads, and the pedestrian pathways, which is always good.

By the way, I had an idea I've been wanting to share lately, but I don't want to interrupt your bridge discussion, so I'll wait until we're finished with this before I post it, unless you'd like me to flesh it out now that is.
OBS.GS.§S
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 5

Character List:
Name: Flashpoint
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down