Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:23 pm

@Swicked
One by one the places that used to be brighter in Hoofington are extinguished. But to what ends? Brimstone Falls had a chance, and they got crushed. Flank got a chance, but they're pretty much holed up and dealing drugs again. Chapel was bright, but with the loss of both Priest and now Medley, how will it shine again?

Maybe when Blackjack stops the core she can starts a school of some sort. Finally talk to Octavia maybe?
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Caoimhe wrote:
You need more lady friends, then you'll understand.
This probably explains away half of my problems. Applebloom

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:48 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:@Swicked
One by one the places that used to be brighter in Hoofington are extinguished. But to what ends? Brimstone Falls had a chance, and they got crushed. Flank got a chance, but they're pretty much holed up and dealing drugs again. Chapel was bright, but with the loss of both Priest and now Medley, how will it shine again?

Maybe when Blackjack stops the core she can starts a school of some sort. Finally talk to Octavia maybe?

Megamart is still somewhat a beacon. Chapel might one day be, it just isn't particularly a symbol of hope right now. If Somber wrote another migration of ponies visiting it and going straight to the bridge without talking to anyone, Priest no longer being around to give a blessing or ask them not to go, that'd drive it home. All the more so if they don't even consider leaving their foal behind, thinking Chapel in its current state to be a worse fate, somehow.
It'd definitely give Blackjack the drive to yell at everyone and start trying to get things organized like she did way back with Flank.

In any case, leave founding a school to the smart ponies... I'm not sure Blackjack's gonna survive this story. She's nobly sacrificed herself so many times the only real way to end the story, in my opinion, if for her to finally, permanently pass over.

I mean, look at her. There's almost nothing left of her. Everyone she once knew is dead and she's an immortal killing machine. There's definitely going to be some sort of sacrifice to be made, if only a permanent isolation and a shortened life like Littlepip got. This fight has ruined her and nothing less than that really suits her.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:29 pm

swicked wrote:
OneMoreDaySK wrote:@Swicked

Megamart is still somewhat a beacon. Chapel might one day be, it just isn't particularly a symbol of hope right now. If Somber wrote another migration of ponies visiting it and going straight to the bridge without talking to anyone, Priest no longer being around to give a blessing or ask them not to go, that'd drive it home. All the more so if they don't even consider leaving their foal behind, thinking Chapel in its current state to be a worse fate, somehow.
It'd definitely give Blackjack the drive to yell at everyone and start trying to get things organized like she did way back with Flank.

In any case, leave founding a school to the smart ponies... I'm not sure Blackjack's gonna survive this story. She's nobly sacrificed herself so many times the only real way to end the story, in my opinion, if for her to finally, permanently pass over.

I mean, look at her. There's almost nothing left of her. Everyone she once knew is dead and she's an immortal killing machine. There's definitely going to be some sort of sacrifice to be made, if only a permanent isolation and a shortened life like Littlepip got. This fight has ruined her and nothing less than that really suits her.

As sad as it is to say, I agree.
It's going to be a bittersweet ending, but nothing else would work.
For as long as the wasteland stays the wasteland, I don't Blackjack could ever settle down... not without going insane knowing elsewhere... elsewhere, it's all the same.
Knowing that for all she's done, no-one will ever truly understand just how much HAS been done.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm not so sure. LP's ultimate end was to have a purpose and importance and personally, to be appreciated. Blackjack sort of already has most of those but what she's lacking is confidence in herself, self esteem, "humanity" and a reason to live. Basically alllllmost opposite of Littlepip. BJ being able to live for herself, to love herself and to accept what friends mean to her (to love her for her heart) would be the most positive end.

She's died enough times mostly due to going above and beyond for others. In the end she needs to be able to live for and love herself. Really, her best end would be to live and find some sense of normalcy.

This is one of the things I find endearing about PH. Everyone knows about the hero's sacrifice and finding confidence to rise above for others, but PH is mostly an inner journey about self worth.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Look at it this way.

BJ thinks she's incapable of making friends: she's given friends after accepting them for who they are.

BJ thinks she's incapable of love: she finds a lover who will (mostly) stay with her through thick and thin

BJ thinks she's too weak to help: she's given nigh invincibility after dying

The ultimate unseen forces are helping her in every way she makes excuses for in not having self confidence except for her recognizing that she's worth loving herself. When there's nothing left for her to question her own ability, she'll come to find she's worth living as the pony she is. All of her whining has a point and it's not just angst!

Wordy as shit but I hope it's understandable. The lesson is of it all is basically to be proud of who you are.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Caoimhe wrote:I'm not so sure. LP's ultimate end was to have a purpose and importance and personally, to be appreciated. Blackjack sort of already has most of those but what she's lacking is confidence in herself, self esteem, "humanity" and a reason to live. Basically alllllmost opposite of Littlepip. BJ being able to live for herself, to love herself and to accept what friends mean to her (to love her for her heart) would be the most positive end.

She's died enough times mostly due to going above and beyond for others. In the end she needs to be able to live for and love herself. Really, her best end would be to live and find some sense of normalcy.

This is one of the things I find endearing about PH. Everyone knows about the hero's sacrifice and finding confidence to rise above for others, but PH is mostly an inner journey about self worth.

Caoimhe wrote:I'm not so sure. LP's ultimate end was to have a
purpose and importance and personally, to be appreciated. Blackjack sort
of already has most of those but what she's lacking is confidence in
herself, self esteem, "humanity" and a reason to live.

Blackjack has her reason to live; Glory. True, it may not have been enough reason earlier in the story, but I honestly believe it's enough to live now... if she could just let go of her suicidal tendencies in trying to help everyone at the cost of her own life.
Though the rest I agree with, she has confidence in her fighting capabilities, but in nothing else.

Caoimhe wrote:BJ being able to live for herself, to
love herself and to accept what friends mean to her (to love her for her
heart) would be the most positive end.

And then you remember, this isn't the original Fallout: Equestria we're talking about here. This is Project Horizons.
Horizons sets out to look at the picture that the original drew and say to it; 'you think that's dark? THIS is dark!' before ripping its own stomach open in front of the whole kindergarten class... just to prove a point.

Caoimhe wrote:She's died enough times
mostly due to going above and beyond for others. In the end she needs to
be able to live for and love herself. Really, her best end would be to
live and find some sense of normalcy.

And yet, I really don't think she's capable of it. She's lived like she has for too long, it's all she knows and I don't reckon she'll ever be able to stop thinking the way she does now.
She can stop for a day, stop for a week, or hell, perhaps even a month.
However, do you really think she could stop for the rest of her life?

Caoimhe wrote:This is one of the things I
find endearing about PH. Everyone knows about the hero's sacrifice and
finding confidence to rise above for others, but PH is mostly an inner
journey about self worth.
Exactly why she's got to die at the end, as much as it pains me to say.
She's going to find her reason to live, find her confidence and her courage to fight it all no matter what. she's going to do everything she can.... and then it'll all be taken from her in one horrible, unfair swipe.
There'll be no other way, just as she accepts herself for who she is and what she can and can't do, just as she is ready to settle down and just live... it'll go away.

I can honestly bet you money that's how it'll end. Nothing else would fit, as much as I would love it to.
I want Blackjack to get better, for her to be stronger, tougher and harder both physically and emotionally/mentally, I want her to live happily... but I can't see that ever happening, not for a happily ever after.

She'll die, she may have her five minutes of happiness and acceptance just as she's dying, where she lets go and gives in, but I don't see her being able to survive the end of it.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:30 pm

I guess that's possible, but I'm trying to be optimistic since five minutes of happiness for a lifetime of struggle is kind of a raw deal. :P Mirroring the ending of FoE would kind of cheapen the overall experience to just literally a "darker and edgier FoE" overall IMO. Who knows what will happen though.

It just seems like there's a lot of "Oh you think you're not worthy? Here have this, keep going and bitch more, aight?"

It's kinda the opposite of the book of Job: Complete angst, lots of reasons given to keep going, not really appreciated. It's almost comedic in that sense, the more BJ lacks faith, the more reason she is given to have it, but she is not a smart pony.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:35 pm

OFU-
I'm an alicorn now.

I DUNN WANNA BE DUNKED.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:40 pm

I have made progress with getting Fallout 3 to run! I discovered a new tweak to the ini, and now, instead of crashing on the new game loading screen, it plays the intro movie and then crashes! Hooray!
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Caoimhe wrote:Look at it this way.

BJ thinks she's incapable of making friends: she's given friends after accepting them for who they are.

BJ thinks she's incapable of love: she finds a lover who will (mostly) stay with her through thick and thin

The ultimate unseen forces are helping her in every way she makes excuses for in not having self confidence except for her recognizing that she's worth loving herself. When there's nothing left for her to question her own ability, she'll come to find she's worth living as the pony she is. All of her whining has a point and it's not just angst!

Wordy as shit but I hope it's understandable. The lesson is of it all is basically to be proud of who you are.
She's really being better than who she is, though, I think. What she is/was has been left behind in 99. Who she is now is nothing like who she used to be.
I see the main theme as being more about the struggle against an oppressive force, be that internal or external (or, in PH's case, both at the same time for every single character on some level).
Constant setbacks and disappointments, losing what you worked so hard to get and working all the harder to try and get it back, even giving up multiple times... but then getting up again, somehow, under your own power or that of your friends'.
She loses control and nearly kills a filly, or allows slaves or an entire town to die. She blows up a ship that had a lot more people in it than deserved it. Lots and lots of bad things either happen because of what she did, because of what she didn't, or simply because she exists. She feels horrible and wants to give up, but somehow, she pushes onward. There's nothing to be self confident about regarding this stuff, but there's always got to be something she can drive herself toward. To fight back the darkness for a little longer before she can't fight it off any more. To just... do better and be more than what she was or is or thinks she ever could be. If anything, pride in herself would just make her falls that much more painful.

In a way, that's why it makes sense for the story to be so long. Her journey long, difficult and near impossible to overcome, but she has to "fight the good fight" harder and longer than anyone, especially herself, ever thought she could.
Because, in the end, hopefully, it'll be worth it. It will amount to something.
Blackjack: "At least, it damn well better."

Edit:
That's one of the things that's interesting about Project Horizons. It is definitely, DEFINITELY not about the good guys winning.
It's just about them struggling to win.

Last edited by swicked on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to vote for Cao in this one.

Through all this I'm betting Blackjack will have to earn her happy ending. It would make sense for her to finally finish growing as a character by learning how good she is.

I just don't think that learning her own self worth and then having to get rid of it at the end would make for a Somber worthy ending. I think it would be far more powerful at the end to finally have everything go right. Despite all that has happened.

Then again that might just be wishful thinking.

Oh has anyone drawn Glory and Blackjack getting Married yet? I would love to see that in a picture, with the entire cast gathered around like I giant macabre parody of the royal wedding scene.

Last edited by tylertoon2 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:43 pm

O. Hinds wrote:I have made progress with getting Fallout 3 to run! I discovered a new tweak to the ini, and now, instead of crashing on the new game loading screen, it plays the intro movie and then crashes! Hooray!

Why the fuck didn't you come to me sooner? give me two seconds.

-------------

Download http://adf.ly/6N3wg this DLL file. Now, you normally have to insert it to (C:// -> users -> [you] -> documents -> games -> FO3) -- NOT the C:// -> program files -> steam -> steamapps and so on.

Anyway... once you've downloaded & added the DLL file, continue onto your ini file change if you haven't already.
I don't know what you changed, but...

find this line:

bUseThreadedAI=0 (you might have changed it to 1 already).

If you're using dual core or more, then add this line too, straight after that previous one:

iNumHWThreads=2

(optional)
Also, might be worth looking for a FOSE 4gig enabler (NV will me the NVSE 4gig enabler) seeing as I'm going to presume you're running a 64bit OS with 6 - 8+ gig of RAM.
(optional)

fixed.

Last edited by Kippershy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:46 pm

tylertoon2 wrote:

Oh has anyone drawn Glory and Blackjack getting Married yet? I would love to see that in a picture, with the entire cast gathered around like I giant macabre parody of the royal wedding scene.

Omg. BJ would totes wear an Ellen Degeneres-esque girltux.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:47 pm

Caoimhe wrote:
tylertoon2 wrote:

Omg. BJ would totes wear an Ellen Degeneres-esque girltux.

With a Top Hat!
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:50 pm

Kippershy wrote:OFU-
I'm an alicorn now.

I DUNN WANNA BE DUNKED.
Don't worry, neither I nor guard want to take you, so you get to wait until someone else reaches the 5 or 6k posts required to become taint as well.
Aonee
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 98

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:05 pm

I'm an alicorn now.

I DUNN WANNA BE DUNKED.
Or, as I like to call them, Alcoholicorns.
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:07 pm

ketchup504 wrote:
I'm an alicorn now.

I DUNN WANNA BE DUNKED.
Or, as I like to call them, Alcoholicorns.

Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ketchup on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Actually, the word is in the DeviantArt description of that picture.
Ketchup
The Condiment

Brohoof! : 114

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Kippershy wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:I have made progress with getting Fallout 3 to run! I discovered a new tweak to the ini, and now, instead of crashing on the new game loading screen, it plays the intro movie and then crashes! Hooray!

-------------

Download http://adf.ly/6N3wg this DLL file. Now, you normally have to insert it to (C:// -> users -> [you] -> documents -> games -> FO3) -- NOT the C:// -> program files -> steam -> steamapps and so on.

Anyway... once you've downloaded & added the DLL file, continue onto your ini file change if you haven't already.

find this line:

If you're using dual core or more, then add this line too, straight after that previous one:

iNumHWThreads=2

(optional)
Also, might be worth looking for a FOSE 4gig enabler (NV will me the NVSE 4gig enabler) seeing as I'm going to presume you're running a 64bit OS with 6 - 8+ gig of RAM.
(optional)

fixed.
Put d3d9 in the Fallout 3 folder under Documents, not Program Files? I haven't tried that yet. Let's see...
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:17 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Put d3d9 in the Fallout 3 folder under Documents, not Program Files? I haven't tried that yet. Let's see...

Yup, in the documents part of it all. Same for if you ever use the G.E.C.K.
I know it doesn't seem like it would make sense, but that's where the ini file is also kept so I'm guessing it's something to do with the data to load being in the program files but the files that tell it specific pieces being in the games folder... for whatever reason that is.

Worked for me.

Also, I'd recommend the use of the FOMM rather than NMM -- it tends to work a tiny bit better, from what I hear.
(if you're using mods, that is.)
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Kippershy wrote:

-------------

find this line:

iNumHWThreads=2

(optional)
(optional)

fixed.
No improvement. Thanks for trying, though.

If you (or anyone else) wants to keep helping, the change that finally got the intro to play was the "use facegen heads false" thing. My system specs are:
processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
memory: 4 GB
graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000
I'm attempting to use this wrapper.

And yes, I know that, with this computer, I'm fighting an uphill battle, but I didn't let that stop me with Fo1, Fo2, and NV.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:33 pm

@Getting Fallout 3 to work
Well, at least that's some progress. I'd suggest finding a way to bypass the movies. Possibly tweaking the .ini files and removing or making inaccessible the .bik intro movie files.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:@Getting Fallout 3 to work
Well, at least that's some progress. I'd suggest finding a way to bypass the movies. Possibly tweaking the .ini files and removing or making inaccessible the .bik intro movie files.
I already tried disabling the movies. Though... I've not yet tried disabling movies and heads at the same time...
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:38 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
OneMoreDaySK wrote:@Getting Fallout 3 to work
I already tried disabling the movies. Though... I've not yet tried disabling movies and heads at the same time...
Nope.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:45 pm

Damn, sorry to say this... but I think I know your problem now.

...you're using a windows emulator, no doubt, yes?
...exactly.

Fallout is notoriously bad as it is on true windows machines, running it on an emulator is just... outstanding if it works at all.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Caoimhe wrote:I'm not so sure. LP's ultimate end was to have a purpose and importance and personally, to be appreciated. Blackjack sort of already has most of those but what she's lacking is confidence in herself, self esteem, "humanity" and a reason to live. Basically alllllmost opposite of Littlepip. BJ being able to live for herself, to love herself and to accept what friends mean to her (to love her for her heart) would be the most positive end.

Caoimhe wrote:Look at it this way.

Just popping in to say this is nearly exactly the way I view the story. Not sure how you read my mind like that.

Granted I also frigging love BJ at this point and really hope she gets more than 5 minutes of happiness for all this- but when it comes to fiction, I'm an eternal optimist and a sucker for a happy ending.
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Kippershy wrote:Damn, sorry to say this... but I think I know your problem now.

...you're using a windows emulator, no doubt, yes?
...exactly.

Fallout is notoriously bad as it is on true windows machines, running it on an emulator is just... outstanding if it works at all.
Well, Wine Is Not an Emulator (I love that acronym...), but, yeah, effectively. Quite a few people have gotten Fo3 working on various versions of Wine, though, and New Vegas runs pretty much fine (for a Bethesda game) on my computer.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:58 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Kippershy wrote:
*snip*
interesting...when I put the d3d9.dll file in my GAME folder, it lets me run it for maybe 5-ish minutes before crashing (and have to control-alt-delete out) with my computer's fans running at full speed the entire time, so I will have to try this documents fix
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:29 pm

swicked wrote:

Hate to say it, but I kinda feel the same way. A part of me really doesn't see Blackjack making it out of this alive in the end.

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down