Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Avatar change

Post by RoboRed on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:
Swicked wrote:In any case, I think something happened to Twilight, and a combination of her own rage and that of Shining's is perverting her powers.
Princess Twilight turning to the Dark Side ? Spike
I rather like these interpretations as well. Crazy

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:00 pm

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:27 pm

New avatar, courtesy of the Martini face over at Fluffybooru.
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 47

Character List:
Name: Judge
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:49 am

Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:04 am

I forget when, exactly, I did it... but I added text to my avatar. I should probably re-do it with a better font, but to heck with it.

It now conforms to my prefered style of avatar... cool headshot of a character I like accompanied by an obscure bit of text that is nearly meaningless to anyone outside my own head. Tra la la!

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:12 am

The only context I find for that quote is referring to the original Trojan Horse.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:42 am

Harmony Ltd. wrote:The only context I find for that quote is referring to the original Trojan Horse.
Yes, that's where it's from, but not why :)
Before my present avatar, I was previously going to go with:

...I dunno why I never used that one, actually. I had this whole big conversation with Mel in order to figure out what I wanted to say and what it meant to me...

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:47 am

So I sat down to go about explaining the words :P

This is the best explanation I can make, at the moment, for why it all fits together... and no, I wouldn't honestly expect anyone to connect these two ideas without me explaining it:

I’m gonna recall this from memory, so some details might be wrong, but it’s from one of my favorite myths.

The whole Helen of Troy ordeal.
In a disagreement stemming from Eris herself, Paris was made to choose which, among three goddesses, was the most beautiful... each offering “gifts” for being chosen. One was for power, one for wisdom, and one for a beautiful woman. I gotta wonder what the consequences of the other two choices would have been...
For his choice, unification treaties would ensure all of Greece would go to war against Troy, their heroes far superior and amazingly more brutal. It’s just hilarious how amazingly awful they were to Paris’s brother, Hector, particularly... or, at least, how awful Achilles was, particularly given how honorable Hector was and how adamantly against this war he was in the first place.
(abridged: Hector was the best of the Trojans, Achilles was going to quit the pointless war that was dragging on forever, Achilles’ lover didn’t like that so he dressed in Achilles’ armor and challenged Hector. Hector didn’t realize it wasn’t Achilles, but a young boy, until after the kid was dead. Achilles then challenges Hector, kills him, then drags his corpse behind his chariot for days)
The whole story is really just about the gods curb-stomping Troy, and would set the tone for the subjugation of Greece by the Romans, who considered themselves descendants of those that managed to survive the Greeks’ total sacking, raping and destroying Troy following the Trojan Horse.

I mean, my gosh, what an amazingly stupid plan, that horse. So blatantly a trap that everyone knew it. They wanted to burn the thing and certainly weren’t going to take it into the city. The Trojans didn’t even need their greatest oracle to point it out... but, for the “trap” to succeed, the Greeks DID need Poseidon to send serpents to kill said oracle and his sons, for good measure, as he spoke out against the horse.
So the Trojans would pretend the Horse was a “good” omen, that the gods horribly killing anyone who questioned the gift was certainly an act of benevolence and ensured the horse had to absolutely be a good thing. That they finally had peace and weren’t going to be horribly killed for Paris’ choice and that they should party and go to sleep that night, many never to wake again.
I’m certain some of them fell for it, but the rest just knew when there was no way to avoid a trap so strongly enforced by the gods.
Men can only kill you once, after all.

Off the top of my head, I can’t recall any greater tragedy of injustice. The Trojans were simply damned and their story is that of the Gods deciding, for far too few reasons, to destroy an entire people. I mean, Troy was favored for so long, which lead it to flourish, and it falls due to one man making the wrong choice between the queen of the gods, the goddess of war, and the goddess of love.
Honestly, not that hard of a choice... sucks they gave it to a teenager.

Trixie is a professional liar, doing so both as part of her acting and compulsively. She’s just monstrously entertaining, to be honest, and she’s the hero (well, one of them) within the Lunaverse.
“Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies." – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Honestly, lies can clearly be so much more beautiful than the truth, though, and beauty is often entirely lies.
What’s more, so many lies have to be believed, like the simple one that paper currency has any inherent value. How much do we believe because we must believe it? How much do we believe knowing how badly it will turn out for us? So much doublethink, so very often...
It’s an odd thing to think about, all the lies we rely on. I know we generally don't call them that, but the fact still remains that they do not hold inherent worth. Their worth is based on a sort of trust that isn't really all that wisely maintained. You always seem to be dealing with one evil or another when you get into politics, though... Our world is built on perceptions and so many of them are imposed on us.

To wrap up all these concepts, Trixie’s life is built on these lies. She performs impossible feats via varying forms of illusions, she lies compulsively, she works in a government office and operates within a court of guile and intrigue against other ponies better at it than she is.
With my hat of lies and shroud of deceit I’ll dazzle my foes and earn my conceit. <--A silly little couplet I wrote while brainstorming what I wanted the picture to say. It certainly relayed how central falsehoods are to her life, as well as the pride she takes in them, but not the inherent danger associated with her. Plus it's long and awkward, and I like a five work maximum on these little phrases.
She does not come off as trustworthy. Not to anyone around her beyond her closest friends and, even then, only in certain respects. Ponies in general almost instinctively dislike and distrust her upon meeting her and they aren’t entirely wrong to. She’s the hero, though... one of them, at least. She is the local government representative. They have to rely on her and believe in her, no matter what they might otherwise think. Even if they know how badly it will go.

So... yeah. Trojans must not trust the horse, but must trust the horse.
You must not trust Trixie, but must trust Trixie.
Do not trust the horse.
EQUO NE CREDITE

...I won't claim it isn't all fairly ridiculous, but it makes an abstract sort of sense to me, and I like attributing those words to her due to the meaning they hold in my mind.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:36 am

Interesting, I like this line of thought.

I had never really studied the Iliad, so I never saw the Trojan War into that light. Interesting perspective.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Yeah, and then the Odyssey comes about because Odysseus doesn't even thank Poseidon for the help, claiming his own strategy and brilliance won the war. Poseidon calls BS, that the idiot's plan was moronic and, much like the rest of the war, clearly would have failed if not for the gods' efforts. He then curses him to never be able to return home (at least, insofar as Poseidon was able, Odysseus eventually regaining favor from other gods and making it home).

All very amusing stuff.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Some of the PHCC steam group were saying that I have a very "metal" voice, so new avatar. :3

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Species: Unicorn

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ironmonger

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:37 pm

New avatar. Feeling... wistful.

Is the word in the avatar too small? It's supposed to be small, but not so much you can't make it out.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:54 pm

"faith"

Not something I would expect of Trixie. In fact, she strikes me as someone with a high Ego score rather than a Faith one.

Spoiler:
Fading Suns joke : on the character sheets, one of the (various) defining statistics of people is the dual score Faith/Ego. One is always higher than the other (99.9% of the time). The score determine what the character rely on to find its moral strength, the thing that allow them to go on when facing difficulties and troubles.

If Faith is dominant, they will mostly rely on something external to them : religion, belief in an authority figure, an abstract concept, etc...

However, if it's Ego that's dominant, the character will mostly rely on its inner strength of character.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:"faith"

Not something I would expect of Trixie. In fact, she strikes me as someone with a high Ego score rather than a Faith one.

Spoiler:
Fading Suns joke : on the character sheets, one of the (various) defining statistics of people is the dual score Faith/Ego. One is always higher than the other (99.9% of the time). The score determine what the character rely on to find its moral strength, the thing that allow it to go on when facing difficulties and troubles.

If Faith is dominant, they will mostly rely on something external to them : religion, belief in an authority figure, an abstract concept, etc...

However, if it's Ego that's dominant, the character will mostly rely on its inner strength of character.
She has faith in herself and in spite of severe adversity.
I'm not saying she didn't play a key role in it all, but losing her home, her act, doing whatever she could to scrape by, she maintained her confidence that she could be something greater, even though she had a really poor idea of what that something should be.

It's also why the word is by her side, instead of between her and the moon, her goddess, but yeah. She keeps her faith close to her.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:13 pm

I agree with this.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:16 pm

Coo 
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:55 pm

Back to Lyra, because always and forever best background pone

------------------
My stories: Cold as Ice   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains FiMFic Page   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains Hub Page
Thanks if you read any of them.

If you have a complaint of any kind, a question or a suggestion, please PM me about it and I will respond as quickly as I can.  

Last wrote:((Camo just likes to kill happiness.))

Well spank my flank and call me sexy!

Until next time, hugs and kisses.

~Miguel
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Confused Lyra is quite cute, I must say.

And now I've said 'cute' twice in one day, so excuse me while I return to the Mountain of Insecurity to chop wood with my bare hands and drink moonshine brewed in wildebeest blood
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 502

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Confused Lyra is quite cute, I must say.

And now I've said 'cute' twice in one day, so excuse me while I return to the Mountain of Insecurity to chop wood with my bare hands and drink moonshine brewed in wildebeest blood
Aww, does Frosty have a soft side?
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:19 pm

stringtheory wrote:

Soft tissues made of matter not native to this dimension.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Species: Unicorn

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Ironmonger

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:45 pm

stringtheory wrote:

Only my membranes on my back, but those aren't supposed to get firm anyway. That's a sign of advanced age, which is why all the Warlocks around my village have them
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Yeah, uh... I got into the prop box. I'm the one with the traffic cone.

StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:41 pm

I'd ask what the hell is going on, but then I'd know what the hell is going on, and I'd never be the same.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Didn't Stone say something about traffic cones and anal insertion a week or two back ?
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by StoneSlinger88 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:22 pm

That is correct. Also, "It's not rape, it's domination!"

And both the traffic cone anal joke and the domination joke came from sitting through boring-ass SHARP training.
StoneSlinger88
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:24 pm

That plastic mask

almost look as if you had a condom wrapped around the head

with eyebrows and moustache drawn with a marker
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:54 pm

After reading this article you shared, Harmony:
http://www.news-gazette.com/obituaries/2013-09-26/nancy-phetchareune.html

I thought of what I felt the picture I was considering for my avatar needed.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, ... will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou

Dunno if I'll use it as an avatar. The image is really powerful, to me, though... so I thought I'd post it.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:17 pm

That's nice.

Do as you feel. Not that I could force you to do anything you don't want to anyway. :D
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:54 pm

I want to. I want to look at it every time I post.
Just so much emotion in this one.

Source: http://alasou.deviantart.com/art/Somewhere-in-the-sky-404239382

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top