Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Fallout Equestria: Murky Number Seven

Page 1 of 27 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 27  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fallout Equestria: Murky Number Seven

Post by Derpmind on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Murky Number Seven (Hub Page)
So this is basically an offshoot from the Project Horizons discussion. Hopefully this will be a good thread.

*Tries to think of a good intro for MNS, fails*

So anyways, anyone else here read ch.8 yet, or am I the only one who has read that far?

Seriously huge spoiler.
Spoiler:
As usual, I suck at talking about entire chapters of anything. There's too much to talk about, and trying to touch more than a few stuff takes way too long for a slow writer like me. But to skip to the most important part: Being so close to freedom and loosing it... but at the end Murky has found his will. There's still hope.

There's also a mystery. Red Eye has some plans for Murky beyond being another slave. 700 caps is not a small sum, and as far as we know there's no special job that requires a pegasus, with one exception, but Red Eye would have to be super desperate to even consider using Murky as the pegasus for the new Goddess.

Last edited by Derpmind on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Re: Fallout Equestria: Murky Number Seven

Post by swicked on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:42 pm

I read all the chapters other than the one that is/has come out today.

I got so freaked out, so awesome!

That whole running while listening to audio got me so pumped. So very, very pumped. I don't remember the last time a story got me like that.

Forget memory orbs, those are for chumps, I love audio logs o_o

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Spoiler:
OH MY GOSH, AND WHEN BRIM HUGGED HIM, FREAKED ME OUT
Love love love love love love love love love.

I love this story.
I love it.
I hope they fail and we get more chapters :)

Well... yeah, actually pretty sure they will fail, but yay, more chapters!

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 pm

I've read chapter 8. I jumped for joy in the beginning, and flipped tables at the end.
My Discussion-Starting Theory:
Murky's true father is not, in fact, Shackles, but it's Protege. Seriously though, can anyone figure that guy out?
Aonee
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 98

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:54 pm

I just finished chapter 1. Holy buckets...*goes back to reading*

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:56 pm

I've been thinking up sketches, but none of them are good yet. Just don't have a good enough feel for the characters, you know?

Wondering how Brim and Rampage would act if they met each other, laughing at how Murky and BJ both suck at big words, wondering how awkward a technical discussion between Glory and Glimmer would get as the later snuck more and more obvious innuendo into the conversation until the former finally got what was going on XD

I was sorta wondering, that one ghoul doctor (weathervane?) said that Murky has benign little taint tumors in all of his organs (or, at least, “mostly harmless but noticeable warped sections.”), just that the ones in his lungs are getting inflamed by radiation. Is there any chance he might have one in his brain? Is it possible for a malformed section of the brain to cause excessive whininess and/or general inability to adapt to his situation? I mean, the story points out pretty bluntly that Murky IS an oddity among slaves in his ability to continually become depressed and cry instead of dying inside.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:59 pm

Oh, and lastly, I love Barb. He's a bit arrogant for someone who relies on sneaking as opposed to up-front confrontation, but he's still very capable and cool. That is all. I'm gonna start reading 8 ^_^

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kippershy on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:40 pm

I've tried to read it, but I'll have to quit for tonight.
Seems okay I suppose, not too far in it though so maybe it'll grow on me.
Kippershy
Lord of Derail

Brohoof! : 121

Character List:
Name: Crimson Wings / Cherry Sundae
Sex: Male / Female
Species: Pegasus / Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:58 pm

I posted my opinions over in the thread, guess I'll repost them here
Spoiler:
God I both like and hate Murky, I like the side characters much more
than Murky himself. I like the twist, I like the descriptions of
Slavers and slavery but I hate with a passion Murky himself. He does
not act anything like someone in his position should mentally, he should
be dead in side long since. I've see the horrors of long term abuse,
sooner or later the tears stop, the beatings stop hurting and people
shut down. I can understand the fear, the programming and all that.
But not the woe is me, you can only woe so long before you off yourself
or give up. It speaks oddly well but poorly of Murky that he can still
cry after all this time, still feel sorry for himself. I'd call him a
whinny bastard except he's physically being beaten, abused and mentally
messed with every single day.

Well its a little like PH in that way, some people simple HATE Blackjack but love the story, put me down as one of those for MNS

It's the crying that gets to me. Shutting down I can understand,
falling to his knees and weeping I don't. He should be dead ten times
over from dehydration alone :P. Yes he's got the suck, he starts the
story essentially with all limbs crippled, with taint poisoning and rad
poisoning. I can understanding him not knowing how to fight fine. Not
knowing how to use guns, anything about explosives, lockpicking,
hacking... but if he has spent his life being beaten he should be good
at hiding (Which he is) and talking his way out of beating by simple
trial and error, he should have the ability to make bullies look
elsewhere, to be able to suck up to avoid further beatings, how to
please people to avoid pain. So that's stealth and speech, third? Fine
no third tag. So he's weak (strength), he has excellent hearing
(perceptive) he's sickly (endurance) he's a whinner and complainer
(Charisma), he's kind of smart (intelligence), he is agile when he's not
currently crippled (Agility) as for luck? Yeah he's got none.

Fine he's a pacifist and hates fighting but... sneaking! Sneaking and talking! Such useful skills, sneaking and talking!

Now as to my current opinion having read Chapter 8, I like the story for the bits between the time we spend in Murky's head which is mostly whining and crying. When he's being active it's interesting but he spends way to much time sitting there feeling sorry for himself. I blame my upbringing but in my head every time he starts feeling sorry for himself I want to box his ears and tell him to rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

Not exactly helpful or hygienic advice but hey it works wonders! Not always good wonders but still.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Why does each chapter make me sad!?
Spoiler:
As soon as I read Minstrel would do anything to get back to to his family, I knew things were going south. Story intuition. Didn't think that a one shot character like Sunny would make me sad. Do any of ya think that she could be still alive?
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:41 pm

Finished ch2....you guys weren't kidding about him having rotten luck...poor, poor Murky...;_;

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seft Sirag on Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:36 pm

OneMoreDaySK wrote:
Spoiler:
As soon as I read Minstrel would do anything to get back to to his family, I knew things were going south. Story intuition. Didn't think that a one shot character like Sunny would make me sad. Do any of ya think that she could be still alive?

Spoiler:
*facehoof* I really should have seen that, but I got distrtacted by the thought that this may have been a bit 'game changer' chapter: a couple of chapters back (may even have been 7, I can't remember) there was something that made me think that Murky's 'currently' telling his story to someone, and I had begun to think it was Minstrel. Should've known better, really.

As for Sunny - could go either way - I'm half expecting her to turn up a couple of chapters down the road as an antagonist, bitter at having been enslaved, and now blaming Murky, but I've made it a policy to always expect the absolute worst possible scenario as far as this story's concerned.
Seft Sirag
Foal

Brohoof! : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Salculd on Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: Sunny

Spoiler:
I had to reread the last part with Sunny a few times because it kind of confused me. It explicitly states that her wounds were nonfatal, and the last time Murky sees her she was just being dragged off as he resolved to come back to get her with Brim. Despite that, it's apparently assumed that she's dead. I could understand Murky maybe saying that she'd been "killed" in a metaphorical manner, but it seems really strange to me that everybody else refers to her like she's actually dead despite that.

I really want to see fanart of a doped up Murky being fascinated by a trash can now, though.
Salculd
Blank Flank

Brohoof! : 4

Character List:
Name: Uncreative Name
Sex: Male
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by tylertoon2 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Oh wow. Read this through now. Insanely grim. Not quite in the same way as project horizons but it was was wow.

We got another winner in the FOE fanfics. Absolutely stunning. Reminds me of 1984 in a big way. Small glimmers of hope that get taken away at the last second. Wow. I LOVE THIS!

The last chapter shook me to the core. Literally. oh man. Suprised I am not crying.

In terms of story speculation. How long till the big war? Can't be too long considering that story began the day before Lilpip's escape from Filly. In which case freedom might be an option. If he can survive.

This is such a unique story in the FOE Fandom. From a unique perspective. If anyone didn't hate red eye in the story, they should hate him now. It's nice to see from the slaves perspectives than the Slavefreer's. Almost refreshing to have a male for once in a good FOE fic.

I just really want to hug the little guy. Forever. That is a good thing.

Also I cannot wait to see the Master die. Really badly. Protege I want to live though. To see the new Equestria without slavery. Hopefully gets put on trial by the NCR for slavery and war crimes.

Just wow I'm sorry for the incoherence but the story is just spinning round in my brain and I want to let loose my gratitude but can't. Seriously though whoever made this has a free pass to take anything they want from me so long as they continue making this. Same with Somber And Khat.
tylertoon2
Hydra

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://www.youtube.com/user/tylertoon2

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Spoiler:
Okay, so I've been following Fuzzy's tumblr, and he said that Sunny is, in fact, alive, it's just not everyone knew that. Apparently there's a thing about it in the next chapter.
Aonee
Draconequus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:51 pm

As much as I love Murky Number Seven, it's the fic that keeps making me go "He's gonna make it! He's gonna to escape! Oh wait.... he's a protagonist in a Fallout Equestria side fic... no he's not."
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:42 pm

So, relevant comment from the author's tumblr:
Fuzzy wrote:I had indeed spotted the thread, sometimes I just
search for “Murky Number Seven” on Google to see what pops up. It’s
being discussed in the most interesting of places, including the EA
Forums, an Australian Brony site, Cloudsville of course, TV Tropes
(there is a page set up for it, empty though, darn!) and occasionally
/mlp/. (Although I have never seen the content here, not being a viewer
of that area, I always miss the threads before they die)

I took a gander at Cloudsville and the comments are wonderfully
insightful and appreciative, it brought a smile to my face to see how
much people were considering, theorising and discussing it. I considered
popping in to say ‘hi!’, but I do wonder if it would be best to let
things just naturally discuss without me. If anyone wants to directly
discuss with me, I often hang out on the FO:E Reddit where Cogitosum666 sets up discussion threads too. WHo knows, maybe I’ll pop in eventually to Cloudsville, it seems like a lovely forum with a few faces I recognise.

To all the Cloudsvillers,
thank you for your wonderful feedback. I dearly hope that it may
continue as times go forward, it’s been delightful to see how people are
viewing and interpreting the story and helps my future writing a whole
bunch.

- Fuzzy
Derpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Cptadder on Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Well that's nice of Fuzzy, wondering when our comments will get big enough to get him over here.

OAN
Murky number seven is grim because of Murky, remove him and this is almost a happy go lucky odd couple story about Brimestone and Glimmer getting into highly lethal hijinks.
*Edit
Weathervane could join the party and it would be complete, the Psycho Ex-Raider, the former Ranger and party pony and the foul mouthed Ghoul Doctor. All they need is a crazy goal or an apartment and it would almost be sitcom material.
Cptadder
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 118

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:50 am

Fuzzy wrote:I considered popping in to say ‘hi!’, but I do wonder if it would be best to let things just naturally discuss without me.
Nah, it's always more fun interacting with the actual author and knowing he/she is interested in what you have to say about their fic. It's a very cool interaction that I really appreciate when somber actually gets around to checking on the PH thread :P

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Well, in that case, by your own thoughts and feelings I suppose it is best I rear my rambling head around here then. Hello there.

As I mentioned in my tumblr, this has been an incredibly wonderful thing to read, for both the praise (I can be honest!) and the criticism. Both are always welcome to me. Across both the PH thread and this one, it's been a joy to read through it and see what folks are thinking.

I should state though that I maintain a stance of "Neutral reaction" to most theorising on things that are yet unknown (such as Protégé) to avoid giving accidental allusion of spoiler hints to readers that may tip them off. So a handy hint is to never read into anything I say too deeply here. Just to get that out the way so you know, I'd hate to spoil my own story for people!

Seeing comments from tyler wanting to hug Murky or cry at the story is honestly enough to make me want to just squee. FO:E gave me reactions I never thought a story could in a similar way, it's great to hear people have seen anything to emotionally get to them in mine. Furthermore, I am not sure who it was i nthe PH topic (Swicked I think?) who made a beautiful post about how the story is more about hope than the nightmarish things he goes through. That is precisely what MN7 is about. That little glintof hope that's always inside. Dare to dream, as the story says.
Fuzzy
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 68

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NgCmMMuecDRzbX05uIsZN1sN5HdH

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 pm

We've attracted Fuzzy, now we just have to wait until he uses the always relevant PHCC pic.
On another topic, has anyone else realized that Mirky's cutie mark actually represents his ability to break free of the bonds of slavery? I mean come on, it's an open set of shackles, and not to mention he got it while running away from one of his masters.
Aonee
Draconequus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Aonee wrote:We've attracted Fuzzy, now we just have to wait until he uses the always relevant PHCC pic.

I believe I've set a new record for myself in becoming lost in an acronym almost immediately. PHCC? Project Horizons Contempary Coach? Project Horizons Concessions Charge?
Fuzzy
Unicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:29 pm

If I remember correctly, it doesn't actually stand for something, we just use it to refer to the group that hung out in the comments section of PH, i.e. swicked, OAC, O. Hinds, Guard, etc. I always just think of it as the Project Horizons Comments Crew.
Aonee
Draconequus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Ah, I see. Well, I certainly did hang out there for a long time writing feedback until my own writing stopped me having the time to offer such stuff to Somber. I do kinda feel bad about that...perhaps I should email the guy, let him know what I think of it even briefly over the time since I last commented.

Still not sure about what image it is, but then it is 2:30AM where I am right now and my mind has already been blown in very weird ways by what popped up on tumblr today through the MN7 channel.
Fuzzy
Unicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:36 pm

I can fix that. *Starts searching through threads*
Wait. I have it bookmarked.
http://kzp.in/files/89/20543880.png
And I think it might be applicable in that situation. Although I have to wonder who said to draw Murky like one of those French girls...
Aonee
Draconequus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Source.
Derpmind

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:25 pm

That would be the instruction of two of my more...unhinged...prereaders. Harl demanded it and Mira made it a reality. Those two gals are mad, I tells you. I still facepalm every time I see this.

In a sort of...so insane it's hilariously confusing kind of way, of course.
Fuzzy
Unicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aonee on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Do we even want to know what's coming tomorrow?
Aonee
Draconequus

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuzzy on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Given the way they've been giggling over skype lately, I can only sit in dread.

Although they did mention they wanted to take a shot at something involving Glimmerlight.
Fuzzy
Unicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:30 pm

And what's seen, can not be unseen.

Time to drink some zap apple whiskey till I puke.

Back to the actual story, my earlier comment aside I really do love Murky Number Seven. I love the characters, including the ones I HATE. I love the setting, as soul crushing as it can be at times.
And it's always a joy to see a new chapter go up. Like back a few weeks ago when MNS, Heroes, and PH updated the same week. Made it the best birthday present ever.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down