Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+14
Scienza
Admiral Stoic Rum
Craterfist
Bootleg
Kattlarv
Valikdu
Harmony Ltd.
RoboRed
brony all alone
Frost
Ironmonger
Stringtheory
Tytan
Katarn
18 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 7 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:12 am

Watched The Revenant. It's a beautiful film, and one that clearly took a lot of talent, and I liked it a lot... buuuuuuuut there were two problems.

1. Unsubtle rebirth symbolism. The first one was fine, and so was the second, but when you stack up three... Come on, man. We got it. Two was enough. I was excited about two, because the second one was so pretty. The third one was gratuitous and borderline edgy. You will know it when you see it.

2. There's a sort of... background plot, I guess, that could and probably should have been cut. It seemed to exist to give one of the Native American groups in the film a reason to stay in the film. I get that it's not kosher to have Native characters whose sole purpose is apparently to antagonize the main character, but this was handled clumsily IMO and, realistically, they didn't need more motivation than "motherfuckers are our enemies and in our territory, let's fuck 'em up." The movie was not about them, and suffers when it cuts to them and they drop a single line of exposition regarding why they're still in the movie. Hell, if the director was married to the idea of having their sideplot, he only had to do the exposition thing the one time, at the start. The audience could figure out the rest - plenty of other stuff in the film is explained visually, and it works great.

Seriously, though, if you want a cold, gorgeous frontier survival movie with a ton of suffering and violence (and who wouldn't?) I'd say give it a whirl. Nice soundtrack, too - nothing jaw-dropping (like Birdman had), but sparse and perfectly fitting.

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. - Page 7 Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Tytan Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:35 am

In recent gaming news, DOOM has had some new screenshots released. One thing I find very surprising, they seem to be basing it more on the DOOM movie than 3. At least aesthetically in the case of the monsters. They're less cybernetic, more organic this time around.

I can only hope they base it partially on the DOOM novels.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:43 pm

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:Watched The Revenant. It's a beautiful film, and one that clearly took a lot of talent, and I liked it a lot... buuuuuuuut there were two problems.

1. Unsubtle rebirth symbolism. The first one was fine, and so was the second, but when you stack up three... Come on, man. We got it. Two was enough. I was excited about two, because the second one was so pretty. The third one was gratuitous and borderline edgy. You will know it when you see it.

2. There's a sort of... background plot, I guess, that could and probably should have been cut. It seemed to exist to give one of the Native American groups in the film a reason to stay in the film. I get that it's not kosher to have Native characters whose sole purpose is apparently to antagonize the main character, but this was handled clumsily IMO and, realistically, they didn't need more motivation than "motherfuckers are our enemies and in our territory, let's fuck 'em up." The movie was not about them, and suffers when it cuts to them and they drop a single line of exposition regarding why they're still in the movie. Hell, if the director was married to the idea of having their sideplot, he only had to do the exposition thing the one time, at the start. The audience could figure out the rest - plenty of other stuff in the film is explained visually, and it works great.

Seriously, though, if you want a cold, gorgeous frontier survival movie with a ton of suffering and violence (and who wouldn't?) I'd say give it a whirl. Nice soundtrack, too - nothing jaw-dropping (like Birdman had), but sparse and perfectly fitting.
I still need to see that. Wasn't playing when I went to the theater last week, so I saw Hateful Eight instead.

It was a lot like Tarantino's previous hit, Inglourious Basterds, except with 100% less Nazis and 100% more man-rape
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:45 am

How many games do I have in my Steam library?

Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:13 am

There's beeen a lot of info about new stuff in X-COM 2 lately.

There's this... thing... that looks like a cybernetic Tentaculat. With all the abilities it's got, I'm sure it will be lots of !!FUN!!.

And Advent has a weapon to surpass metal gear.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:41 am

yeah, same here.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:09 pm

Overlong Analysis Cobalt wrote:Watched The Revenant. It's a beautiful film, and one that clearly took a lot of talent, and I liked it a lot... buuuuuuuut there were two problems.

Yo, so

Spoiler:
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:11 pm

@Frost
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:29 am

@Frost
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:23 pm

People had thought that the mech-thing in the X-Com 2 previews wasn't the new Sectopod because of its ADVENT aesthetic (instead of straight-up alien). But it actually is the new Sectopod.

And it can walk through walls now.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:29 pm

I loved this PMV:

And this one:

Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:27 am

David Bowie died. :( I liked him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:18 pm

In other news, we just had a gate-runner who looked one goat away from hauling Syria in his car.

I'll let y'all know if I get blown up or whatever.

UPDATE: I'm not dead
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Preston:
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:39 pm

I don't know what made me think of it, but it occurred to me earlier that I probably hold the record for the quickest scare-someone-away-from-the-forum, since This person never posted again
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Aw, yeah! I sent the motherboard back and all, and the company received it, and they determined that it was indeed defective, presumably in a way that could never be blamed on me messing up on either the shipping or the installing because they're giving me a refund. Vindication feels good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 pm

(Stupid double post)

Last edited by Tytan on Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Me and Last collaborated:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:57 pm

Huh, well that's new. Got someone over on FimFiction that hurled like, 7 PM's at me over the course of 2 days. Saying they're desperate for a straight BJ clopfic. But how there's literally 0 out there, that's actually "about" BJ. I haven't looked too closely myself. But thought I could toss a curve ball to you guys and ask on their behalf if you happen to know of any. Or an author competent enough to make one.

They originally asked for if I could expand on the Styg scene I revised, (seriously, I thought I was *eyeroll* about it, but the amount of people that beg me to "finish what I fixed" is a bit awkward) but I'm still very "eh..." on making "½" chapters. Though in hindsight, I guess that's just a expectation I have to put up with in this line of fics xP

@Swicked: I'd personally go with saying it as it is. No point imo in trying to be something you're not. While being honest might hurt your reputation a bit. It feels like you'd shoot yourself in the foot if you claim something you know you most likely will never do.

@EP: Don't think anyone here has any interest in Warmachine but: Man, Iron Kingdom has a kinda derpy feat system. Non-focuser casters can get pretty broken with 1 gifted feat and a heavy AoE spell.
Kattlarv
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 27

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by brony all alone Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:47 am

Do we have a steam group?
brony all alone
brony all alone
Pegasus

Brohoof! : -1

Character List:
Name: RazorWing
Sex: Male
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:55 am

Apparently, instead of the arc thrower, X-Com 2 has this... omni-tool thing that you STAB PEOPLE IN THE BRAIN with.

Awesome.
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:41 pm

brony all alone wrote:Do we have a steam group?

Pretty sure there is one.
I know people have talked about it before at least.
Kattlarv
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 27

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Good luck with that Swicked. Hope it works out for you in the end.

Re steam group: see this thread https://cloudsville.rpg-board.net/t1010-project-horizon-comment-crew-steam-group
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:50 am

Well, I fuckin' did it. Computer 2 (: "Electric Boogaloo") is up and running. Considering changing the stock fan for the CPU because this whole thing has made me crazy paranoid. We'll see. I'm not planning on overclocking or anything but an abundance of caution wouldn't kill me.

Right now the main problem is that I keep typing on the keyboard to type something on my laptop and instead a bunch of junk happens on the new computer, on account of it's plugged into the new computer but I forget that constantly. Also, the big monitor will need an adapter or something to connect to the desktop machine. So I'm using the little monitor for now. It's still good.

Just started Skyrim up. "Settings have been set to 'Ultra High' quality." Eheheheheheheheh. I don't know why it feels like I'm getting away with murder, but it does.

@swicked
That's friggin' ridiculous, dude. Your workload doubled with no commensurate increase in... anything. Except disrespect from your co-workers. And IIRC didn't your job get a lot more complicated since the days that one (nutty and hypercompetent) guy pulled off all the engineering ever at the plant? Total bull. Even if it was just temporary, it'd be bull. This is the kind of move people pull when the whole place is going down the drain anyway and they just need to keep the lights on until the plot of land is sold, or whatever.

@Books
I finished the Imperial Radch trilogy recently. It's pretty dang good, I have to say. It has the unfortunate reputation of being an SJW darling sort of book, but I don't think that's really fair as a true SJW doesn't have favorites, only bones to pick. :P It has a kind of unsatisfying non-ending (assuming it's actually a trilogy, and not a trilogy the way A Song of Ice and Fire is a trilogy), but on the ride it does some very neat-o stuff with identity, has pretty decent characters, and has oodles of my favorite thing in genre fiction: people sitting around talking. It also has a Dyson Sphere. How can you say no to that?

Also read The Wind Through the Keyhole. Fuck. I did not realize how much I still liked The Dark Tower. I might have to re-read all of them, which would be friggin' nuts because I have them all in paper and they're goddamn enormous. Anyway, it's a strong Stephen King book, and singlehandedly makes up for Wizard and Glass being atrocious by basically being a much better version of that book. IMO it wouldn't work too well if you hadn't read the previous books in the series first (it's a midquel - the series was finished years ago, but King added this in as Dark Tower 4.5, bridging some of the stylistic gaps between the early novels and the later ones while also delivering a great story).

Lastly, I've started the Gentleman Bastard series. I like it, so far. Only a hundred or so pages in. I enjoy how it hops around in time to create cliffhangers, I like the bantersome dialogue (even if it is sometimes a bit much), and I like fantasy books where people say "fuck." Sue me. The characters remind me of Jack Vance, the setting is excellent, and it's dark but far from humorless.

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:59 am

swicked wrote:Hinds, aren't you an engineer, too?
I don't know if you're employed yet, but good luck when you are.
I've a master's degree in Aerospace Systems Engineering and am currently working towards getting into a PhD program for astrophysics or mechanical engineering; thanks, though.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:57 am

There've been several books I've tried to get into recently, and can't seem to. Most of them just seem to suck
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:26 pm

Tried the Monster Hunter International books, which were a massive waste of potential just in the first few chapters.

There were a few others that left so little of an impression that I don't even remember. Currently reading the first book in the Valhalla trilogy, which is "eh" at best so far
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:49 pm

Update: it's shit
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:19 pm

Body is not ready.

Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:59 am

I'm going to a Perturbator concert in a few weeks. And may get to listen to a preview of his next album.

Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next