Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+39
Somber
RoboRed
CD
SilentCarto
Valikdu
Icy Shake
neoaustin
Frost
Rayndalf
nallar
Gadget Steamhoof
MSCA
Elden Andel
joltius
Tacoman587
DotRook
Vexd
Scootayay
Admiral Stoic Rum
TB3
FoolNeim
Defrak
Bootleg
tylertoon2
Katarn
Epsilon
Scienza
The Truth
Borsuq
PeppyJoe
decumos
Evilgidgit
JadedPony
atikin
FeatherDust
ILM126
Derpmind
WavemasterRyx
Harmony Ltd.
43 posters

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 11 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:32 am

Well, I still haven't been able to get NV running again; I'm not especially optimistic about my chances of making 4 work in the near future.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 11 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by SilentCarto Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Thanks for the warning!
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Whew. Finally got around to a second read/writeup for seventy seven. I hope I'll be able to get to the Epilogue before Somber gets it on Fimfiction, but at this rate . . . Crazy
Chapter Seventy Seven Running Thoughts:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Chapter Seventy Seven Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Seventy Seven Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:56 pm

@Icy Shake:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

Spoiler:
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:04 pm

That's an interesting question. It's complicated a bit by how Zebra seems (from what I remember) to be mainly Swahili or Arabic with maybe some bits of Latin and Greek thrown in mainly for the Roamani and Starkatteri, such that which language used might have some content. But I'd probably say that given the frequent significance of the names' meaning, it would make sense to just use the translation. Alternatively, you could go the middle route of having untranslated names for zebras with names coming from something other than the "main" Zebra language, such that the Greek names (like Pythia, Atropos, Eurydale, Scylla, Orion) and maybe Latin/ish names (like Vitiosus and Impalii) would still, even for new characters, not be in English. But for most of the rest (like Majina, Sekashi, Adama, but of course only for new characters), who have names from the more common sources, the names could be rendered in English. Note that could also probably be justified by a different focus in what Zebra Scotch is learning, kind of like how she thought the Atoli spoke backwards.

Though now I do wonder why Lancer introduced himself in Pony while nobody else did (okay, there was Briarthorn), as far as I recall. Also, who decides it's a good idea to follow a guy whose name is "Vitiosus": wicked, depraved, faulty. Spike
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Somber just pushed out several more chapters to PH on FIMfic including chapter 43, where Happyhorn was introduced, which led to the crazy RP events back on the Blogger comments section on EQD which helped bring us all in the PHCC closer together.

There's a couple songs I had wanted to post way back then that I felt fit the theme of the chapter. I (and I think someone else), already brought in Frame of Mind (along with the Star Trek episode it was sourced from). But there was one other. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it online anywhere, and it was a rather old song.

Thankfully, I finally managed to find it again (and no wonder it was so hard - apparently it was under a working title when I first heard it!). Here is "Do You Know That You're Insane" by Sean "cheshyre" Hodges.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:30 pm

swicked wrote:The new story is going to be told mostly with respect to Scotch's perspective (though it will be third person as opposed to first). In the zebra lands they speak Zebra, not Pony, and names like Majina have a meaning (in this case, "Happy Tale") and, now that Scotch is learning Zebra she can actually understand those meanings.
Should new zebra encountered be referred to by zebra-sounding names (like Majina) or pony-sounding ones (like Happy Tale)?
Because I'm worried whether it's better, in terms of an MLP fanfic, to continue with the naming conventions people are used to from these fics or if we should continue using zebra names.
I think I'd prefer to keep using zebra names and just note what they mean when they come up. That's just me, though.

swicked wrote:Mmmk.
Translation it is, then. Which is good, 'cause that's what we were already doing.
Though yeah, mixing that up a bit when it comes to other tribes might be interesting, too.
I look forward to helping make each tribe as distinct as possible.
That's fine too.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:52 pm

I was recently referred to someone who does, basically, the "Drunk History" treatment, text form, for stories. When I ended up seeing this, I broke out laughing because of how similar it sounds to things I've repeatedly heard re PH:

Okay, where were we?
[Character] just fucked everything up over and over again and then died
awesome.
I hate to break it to you guys
but this story gets way the fuck grimmer before it claws its way out of the sadhole
like [Author] tried to pack as much tragedy into this fucking thing as possible
before the day gets inevitably saved.
He’s like a dude at an all-you-can-eat sadness buffet
just cramming in the depressing calories
because he knows he’s inevitably gonna shit later.
Okay, bad metaphor
I’m just stalling because this part of the story sucks.

Anyone want to take a blind guess at what they were referring to?
Spike
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:39 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Anyone want to take a blind guess at what they were referring to?
Spike
Sounds like ASOIAF to me.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:19 am

I was wondering, how did Somber and the editors come up with the layout and locations for Hoofington? I recall the land was briefly mentioned in F.E., but there wasn't really any description of it. It takes a lot of effort to make a world, and the Hoof is very good, but was the creative process behind the design?
Evilgidgit
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Well, that was all Somber, as I recall; I'm afraid I'm not thinking of any details I know on the out-of-universe origins of the layout and locations of the Hoof.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:15 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Anyone want to take a blind guess at what they were referring to?
Spike
Sounds like ASOIAF to me.
A good guess, but no. It's the Silmarilion, and the character is Turin. Source here.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:53 pm

Fallout: Not Equestria: now with 100% more FIMFic.
. . . And up to #4 on the Feature Box.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:41 am

It's happening.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:48 am

RoboRed wrote:It's happening.
You come to the sobering realization that things will never stop from keep happening constantly.:
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=008331
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Hum, dragged here by random tumblr post rumor while I'm waiting for a freaking update to install so I can turn off the comp.
Is PH supposed finished, and there's a pseudo-sequel coming up or what?

If so, then man, I am so far behind on the revisions xD Not counting that I have to scrap and re-write the non-18+ parts. And jebus did I trail off on those xP Shesh, should just stick to the plan, and to what I can. Even if people say I did massive improvements on those parts, they were also very keen on pointing out I fucked up approximately 85 % of any non-18+ scene xD Ah well. Doubt it's too much of a rush anyhow.
Kattlarv
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 27

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Kattlarv wrote:Is PH supposed finished, and there's a pseudo-sequel coming up or what?
PH is complete, and the pseudo-sequel Homelands has been started (with, so far, the prologue and first chapter up on FIMFiction).
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kattlarv Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:17 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Kattlarv wrote:Is PH supposed finished, and there's a pseudo-sequel coming up or what?
PH is complete, and the pseudo-sequel Homelands has been started (with, so far, the prologue and first chapter up on FIMFiction).
Hum, okies. Thanks.
If it's anything, I've at least learned to aim for the more simple things :P
Plan to scrap almost all side shiz. And possibly only change the sex scenes. As that's what I was out to do to begin with. Still tempted to flesh out the characters a bit so they don't suddenly sprout new personalities as they do now. But eh... dunno if I can write them properly enough. That, and have fallout ghouls instead of movie zombies. (though that said, Somber could have made the hoofington ghouls movie zombies for a reason, so I dunno)

Either case, has actually been waiting for PH to wrap up so I could perhaps snatch one of the editors to ensure the revision is good enough. I know I gotta rewrite it a second time, but I'm not really in a rush as said. Just gotta chuck out the pointless text and focus on what I was doing this in the first place for. I already failed to stay on track once. But managed to focus a bit better this time around.
Kattlarv
Kattlarv
Hydra

Brohoof! : 27

Character List:
Name: Dewflower
Sex: Female-ish
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by ILM126 Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:37 am

Just curious, Hinds, are you or someone else is going through the entirety of FoE:PH to check and convert it for FimFic? Just curious ^^"
ILM126
ILM126
Pegasus

Brohoof! : 15

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://ilm126.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:46 am

Evilgidgit wrote:I was wondering, how did Somber and the editors come up with the layout and locations for Hoofington? I recall the land was briefly mentioned in F.E., but there wasn't really any description of it. It takes a lot of effort to make a world, and the Hoof is very good, but was the creative process behind the design?
It was barely mentioned in FoE -- they reported Brimstone getting shot down a couple of times, and it appeared in a couple of lists of locations. It wasn't even on the map of FoE. (And I should know!)

Icy Shake wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:Sounds like ASOIAF to me.
A good guess, but no. It's the Silmarilion, and the character is Turin. Source here.
Hah! Yeah, I guess I can't disagree.

Icy Shake wrote:Fallout: Not Equestria: now with 100% more FIMFic.
. . . And up to #4 on the Feature Box.
This just had to happen while my computer was out of comission. WELP.

...maybe we ought to start a new thread? Yes? No?
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:42 am

Is it bad that my mind went right here when that part of the episode happened, only via PH (and thus obviously with shipping implications as well)?

Spoiler:
http://tjpones.tumblr.com/post/134193645842
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:46 am

So it turns out Psalm no longer kills Pinkie in the version updated for Fimfic. It's an interesting choice, and stitching up that little departure from the events or implications of FoE is the kind of thing that will, I'm sure, be appreciated by some, and probably disliked by very few. The kind of little change, like changing "buck" to "stallion" or doing new footnotes for after chapter 33, that strikes me as a nice bit of polishing, and a sort of bonus for anyone rereading.

Since it looks like I won't be finishing the thoughts today (hopefully tomorrow) and some of the chapters are right on the edge of what's on Fimfic, some editing:
Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:58 am

@Icy Shake:

Icy Shake wrote:So it turns out Psalm no longer kills Pinkie in the version updated for Fimfic. It's an interesting choice, and stitching up that little departure from the events or implications of FoE is the kind of thing that will, I'm sure, be appreciated by some, and probably disliked by very few. The kind of little change, like changing "buck" to "stallion" or doing new footnotes for after chapter 33, that strikes me as a nice bit of polishing, and a sort of bonus for anyone rereading.
[goes and looks]
Hm. Why do you think that that change is an improvement?

Icy Shake wrote:"promised" should perhaps be capitalized to match "Pinkie Sense" which is capitalized except in the chapter quotation for 54 (and one case of "Pinkie Promise")
Aye, capitalizing.

Icy Shake wrote:XX:
The Goddess initially wanted to save Ponykind.

"Ponykind" shouldn't be capitalized
I tracked this down in 56.

Icy Shake wrote:I think "Griffinchaser" should be italicized
The actual vehicle, it looks like, was the Griffinchaser II ("Griffinchaser" being presented in FoE as a series), so I'm leaning towards it not being italicized. Why do you think it ought to be?
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:09 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Hm.  Why do you think that that change is an improvement?
I approve too. It's more in line with the original without having to rationalize why there's no bullet hole in Pinkie's skull, and it perhaps smacks less of revisionism, I guess. And it's good to see that Psalm still has doubts and hesitations despite what she's done already -- it fits a bit better with her personality as Lacunae and afterward.

On revisionism: I don't object to filling in blanks where FoE remained silent, and I don't even necessarily object to recasting events as they were revealed in FoE. But I can also see how someone might feel that rewriting facts we know about Pinkie's end comes off as a bit arrogant. This way is more comfortable all around.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:46 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:I think "Griffinchaser" should be italicized
The actual vehicle, it looks like, was the Griffinchaser II ("Griffinchaser" being presented in FoE as a series), so I'm leaning towards it not being italicized.  Why do you think it ought to be?
I was thinking of it being more like a contraction of the name than as referring to the series it was a member of. So more like "get back to the 'Force" (Galeforce) than "get back to the Raptor."

SilentCarto wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:Hm.  Why do you think that that change is an improvement?
I approve too. It's more in line with the original without having to rationalize why there's no bullet hole in Pinkie's skull, and it perhaps smacks less of revisionism, I guess. And it's good to see that Psalm still has doubts and hesitations despite what she's done already -- it fits a bit better with her personality as Lacunae and afterward.

On revisionism: I don't object to filling in blanks where FoE remained silent, and I don't even necessarily object to recasting events as they were revealed in FoE. But I can also see how someone might feel that rewriting facts we know about Pinkie's end comes off as a bit arrogant. This way is more comfortable all around.
This, roughly. But that alone isn't it. It's that it was done while preserving the motivations all around. Psalm was still going to take the shot, just didn't have the time. And sure, she'd always been cold about the Partypooper assassinations, but the shock of Pinkie's awareness is enough to justify this being different (and it doesn't hurt that, having known Pound and Pumpkin from their time at Luna's school, as well as Big Macintosh, she was probably reasonably well acquainted with Pinkie even outside of O.I.A.). And it shows there's something left of the mare who was so broken up about accidentally killing the Legate's (different Legate) son on one of her missions. I actually think that losing the sentence about her heart beating harder than it ever had before was also good, because though I don't think her role in the event had been established at the time, and even with the creepiness of Pinkie knowing, I have some trouble seeing Psalm being more affected by this than Shattered Hoof Ridge.

Epilogue Running Thoughts:
Epilogue Overall Thoughts:
Epilogue Editing:
[/quote]
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:20 am

@SilentCarto and Icy Shake regarding the change:
Hm, I think that that makes sense; thanks.

@Icy Shake:

Icy Shake wrote:I was thinking of it being more like a contraction of the name than as referring to the series it was a member of. So more like "get back to the 'Force" (Galeforce) than "get back to the Raptor."
I suppose that that's a possibility, but I'm doubting that it's the case here; among other things, FoE did use "Griffinchasers" at one point. Sorry.

Icy Shake wrote:"faster and faster"
Hm. That seems like it might be detrimentally repetitive with something a bit further up the page; I think I'll just go with "faster".

Icy Shake wrote:Ooh, I bet if Chris ever does read this far, he won't like that. :D
?

Icy Shake wrote:Okay, turns out Littlepip was never called a terrorist anything like as often as Blackjack, possibly never at all.
In FoE? Or at all? Because I imagine the latter could depend on who one asks.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by CD Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:00 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Okay, turns out Littlepip was never called a terrorist anything like as often as Blackjack, possibly never at all.
In FoE?  Or at all?  Because I imagine the latter could depend on who one asks.

Between blowing up General Harbinger end ending alliance negotiations with the alicorns, bringing down a number of ships in conjunction with the mercenaries, organizations and settlements of the wastes, and taking over the Single Pegasus Project central hub to slowly erase the cloud cover and cities, I'm fairly certain a lot of pegasi think of Littlepip as nothing less than a sadistic terrorist out to destroy their way of life.
CD
CD
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:05 pm

CD wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:
In FoE?  Or at all?  Because I imagine the latter could depend on who one asks.

Between blowing up General Harbinger end ending alliance negotiations with the alicorns, bringing down a number of ships in conjunction with the mercenaries, organizations and settlements of the wastes, and taking over the Single Pegasus Project central hub to slowly erase the cloud cover and cities, I'm fairly certain a lot of pegasi think of Littlepip as nothing less than a sadistic terrorist out to destroy their way of life.
I was talking about being personally called a terrorist, rather than with some tangential connection to Red Eye via New Appleloosa, and in FoE or PH, such that she personally heard it. Afterward, after all, I'm guessing there weren't many people calling her one anywhere she could hear about it. Point was, it's a bit rich for her to be calling Boo a terrorist, and it would have been more so if I could think of examples of her being called one and objecting. But getting called "terrorist" to her face was more Blackjack's thing, and she mostly took it in stride, though of course she didn't agree with it. For example,
The puce pegasus led me to an office door marked ‘Security’; that made me smile.  “Lieutenant?  That… um… it’s the… ah…”  She glanced at me.  “Terrorist?  The one who attacked Miramare?”
“Terrorist.  You blow up one Vertibuck, and suddenly everypony’s convinced that you’re a complete monster,” I muttered dryly.
“You did what?” Scotch Tape and P-21 asked in unison.
“Didn’t I tell you about that?”  I blinked at their surprise.   Then again, with everything I had to tell him earlier, I might have left that little detail out.  “They shot first, you know.  I was merely defending myself,” I said primly.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:42 pm

CD wrote:Between blowing up General Harbinger end ending alliance negotiations with the alicorns, bringing down a number of ships in conjunction with the mercenaries, organizations and settlements of the wastes, and taking over the Single Pegasus Project central hub to slowly erase the cloud cover and cities, I'm fairly certain a lot of pegasi think of Littlepip as nothing less than a sadistic terrorist out to destroy their way of life.
To be fair, she was out to destroy their way of life, but it was with their help.

The Enclave was making up and awful lot of lies about the situation on the surface to justify their non-involvement. A big part of the concept of opening the sky in the first place was to let the Enclave civilians see what their goverment was covering up, which implies that the average pegasus would most certainly not consider revealing that to be terrorism -- rather, they've been made aware of a huge problem they need to help solve.

And hey, if it means they can get ahold of some berries in the process...
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next