Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:27 am

Ryx wrote:Strange and creative places are nice, I think. *smiles*
:)

Ryx wrote:Thank you, sir, I'm glad you like them. Actually I had put it on the wrong leg initially, but was lucky enough for once to realize so in time to fix it easily, heh.
Aye. Confusion about who wears their PipBucks on what leg does seem to be a bit widespread...

Ryx wrote:I do hope you'll be able to get something to help you make it through the day, sir, or if it's the other way, that you'll be able to get some rest soon.
Eh, I'll be fine, but thanks. :)
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:21 am

@Ryx:
And I just finished the video. :)
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:52 am

WavemasterRyx wrote:Ah, actually I was thinking of Silver Stripe.  The guy ended up going by Steel (had to look it up), Silver and Cobalt were his friends.
Ah, that's the one. Thanks.

WavemasterRyx wrote:Not to copy Hinds' answer, but I actually haven't seen any of the Transformers movies, heh.  But yeah, I stand by my case that balls are a terrible cost-investment for cyberization; if you want functionality, go with an internal storage tank.
OK, so... in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, there's a giant (well... gianter-than-usual) transformer called Devastator. At one point, John Turturro finds himself under Devastator, and we get this lovely scene:

It's funny because they're wrecking balls. Applejacks
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:16 am

WavemasterRyx wrote:Pythia and Blackjack memorial, kinda
Nice art, even if I'm not sure I "get" the BJ pic. Pythia is cute as ever, naturally.

O. Hinds wrote:And you put the PipBuck on the right (or, rather, the left :)) leg, nicely; it's rather a pity to see otherwise good pieces of fanart with it on the right leg instead of the right one.
Well, but someone did put it on Blankjack's wrong -- that is to say, right -- leg. Must have been some Ranger, because anypony who grew up in a stable would know which leg it goes on.

On a side note: Do you supposed the chunk of soul that Cogs sliced off of BJ to get her cutie mark snapped back to the blank along with her memories, or did it die with Luna? I'm leaning toward the latter, which would probably be mostly for the best.
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:31 am

SilentCarto wrote:
JadedPony wrote:You mean she lived her ENTIRE ADULT LIFE not knowing what her special talent was?
Yes. Absolutely.

And also no.

In the intro to chapter 15, she failed to provide a clear explanation of her talent, which is why I started theorizing about her repressing her understanding of her talent due to the trauma of Hatches' death. If we assume that the Dealer was indeed a hallucination originating in BJ's mind, then his explanation of her talent is probably accurate. And, honestly, if you secretly knew that your purpose in life was to have others take bullets intended for you, wouldn't you latch on to someone else's assumption that it was merely to win at any cost?
I think her talent is death. Just death.
She is an executioner and fate has always enjoyed placing her in that role.
I think Blackjack, somehow, knew that the door was going to kill Hatches... and sent her to her death.
And repressed that she had made that decision.

She executed males, foals, and countless others in and out of battle. It is her talent.

A lot of the fic was her knowing exactly what her talent was and denying it while fate rubbed her face in it.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:46 am

I think one of my favorite examples of fate rubbing her face in it was the fact that she spared those stallions that raped her and, despite, she still eventually came across one of them later on and executed him.
The only time she successfully denied her role was in not killing Goldenblood... though the endevor she then drafted him into DID result in his death.
She also tricked the Legate into getting killed by the Eater.

She is very good at her talent.

Edit:
Actually, she didn't end up executing Sanguine.
She also didn't execute Deus when she managed to get in the tank and put a gun against his brain (if I'm remembering the event correctly).
Still, I think her talent is being an executioner. 21 is victory in blackjack, but it's also the end of the game.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by WavemasterRyx on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:19 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Aye.  Confusion about who wears their PipBucks on what leg does seem to be a bit widespread...

Eh, I'll be fine, but thanks.  :)
Well, in my defense, brain damage.  I was actually going to leave it off entirely because "she was a statue and didn't need it", but then I reconsidered, since it is... a fairly important thing.  Maybe someone needs to make one of those "old timey educational videos" about PipBucks?

And you're welcome, sir, I do hope so.  I'm glad you were able to finish the video too, I hope it was enjoyable.

SilentCarto wrote:
WavemasterRyx wrote:Ah, actually I was thinking of Silver Stripe.  The guy ended up going by Steel (had to look it up), Silver and Cobalt were his friends.
Ah, that's the one. Thanks.

OK, so... in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, there's a giant (well... gianter-than-usual) transformer called Devastator. At one point, John Turturro finds himself under Devastator, and we get this lovely scene:

It's funny because they're wrecking balls.
He's certainly a pony that needs some love.

Ah... I see, heh.  I wonder how many times it took him to say that line without laughing.  It's really far too early in the morning for me to be trying to figure out the reasoning behind why a giant robot would want to represent his genitalia in such a fashion though.

SilentCarto wrote:Nice art, even if I'm not sure I "get" the BJ pic. Pythia is cute as ever, naturally.
Well, there isn't too much to it to "get", I'm not that deep of a pony, heh...
short explanation:
Basically... it's just supposed to be the memorial from inside the church at Chapel.

"The structure no longer served as a place of reverence, and the center of the interior was taken up by a massive block of white marble.  Carved into the surface was the image of Security in repose; they’d gone with a ‘lying on her back clutching a bunch of lilies’ image rather than a ‘cybernetic and humping a shotgun’ one.  Moonlight streamed through the stained glass windows showing Celestia, Luna, the Ministry Mares, and Security’s companions."

Except that I went with the vertical / carbonite approach because I thought it looked more dramatic than having her on her back from the side... or something...  Not that that would have been a bad approach, or maybe I should have done it anyways...  As for the window...  I completely lost my ability to draw stained-glass ponies after doing the ones for Pip and Blackjack two years ago, so I just went with a more... normal-ish design.  And left out the princesses and mane 6 because I'm a jerk... also left out Psalm and Roux Bastard...
WavemasterRyx
Hydra

Brohoof! : 376

Back to top Go down

Post by MSCA on Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:40 pm

swicked wrote:
atikin wrote:3. No, I suppose it's not that easy to guess. Would you mind to reveal this secret?
Spoiler:
Rooty Tooty Point-n-shooty.
Seriously?  I ask because I would be thrilled to see that name in the story.
MSCA
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:02 pm

So I finished watching the 77+E discussion video today. Some good stuff there. So some thoughts on that.
I'm not a huge fan of Blackjack's cutie mark talent as "victory," even of the form "victory with a cost/sacrifice." It's obviously better than victory-full-stop, but death is much cleaner and doesn't get into weird cases like "Cognitum won because Tom was launched, even though the outcome she wanted to use the launch of Tom to cause to come about didn't happen." Also, I'd like to imagine that in the deciding round between Hatches and Blackjack to see who would leave first, Hatches was dealt Ace-Queen of spades. So kind of like the ideas of Hatches being her sister or that having been Hatches's cutie mark.
I loved the part where Somber said one objection to making Whisper Magic was that then he'd have to make Blackjack Generosity. Also, I'll note I don't think anything in the epilogue absolutely precludes that, but I could certainly be wrong on that. Anyway, I don't have the same issue with there needing to be an earth pony Element, given that there wasn't a batpony in the current set or an alicorn for S1/S2. But I still don't see Charity as filling that role.
I'd personally say Blackjack need not be as easily killable as was discussed there, since I could easily see the stars' deals being the kind she can't just renege on by dying.

And I'll restate some questions from earlier with some updates:
Did Blackjack get her cutie mark back during the epilogue? If so, was it brought back by her soul affecting the clone body, possibly while she was still in the coma, or did she need to do something to earn it again? If not, does she do anything to hide the fact she's an adult blank flank?
Obviously various starmetals have some different properties. Presumably the sword doesn't do the Enervation thing, and stuff made out of EoS starmetal doesn't inspire you to violence and domination. Are there any characteristics common to substances from many or most stars? Update: The sword does react with moonstone, right? But why? I get why EoS starmetal does, thematically. His has the one frequency magical spectrum at the Enervation note, moonstone is broad-spectrum life/spirit magic fundamentally opposed to that. But is there a similar reason why other starmetals, including that of the sword, would do so?
I tended to find Homage more tolerable in PH than FoE. Is that just because of different circumstances, like not needing to focus on the relationship between her and Littlepip, or did you perceive yourself as writing her differently in some way, for instance due to development we never really got to see in FoE from after she got separated permanently from Littlepip after Cauterize started? Did you do anything like that with other FoE characters (not counting, for instance, Lionheart, who didn't really have a character in FoE)?
Did anything need to be done about the Enervation rings and EoS starmetal generally, or are they inert without the Eater to send captured souls to? Or somewhere in between, like maintaining some of the nice properties (strength, malleability/being shaped by magic/thought/vibration) and creating Enervation when under power, but not capturing souls?
Update: What would you have liked to have done with the Zodiacs? Who should they have ended up being to Blackjack? Would it just be like in the epilogue?
Both Boo and Morningstar ended up being less menacing than originally intended. Was there anyone who ended up more so, or did this only go in that direction? Did that sort of thing happen with anyone else?
You said that in many respects Littlepip might have been able to solve a lot of PH pretty easily if she'd been the one there instead of Blackjack. Do you think that there was anything that made all this something that required Blackjack and her friends/people very like them, or is it something that could have been done by a generic heroes/hero + friends group with very different characteristics?
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:07 pm

SilentCarto wrote:Well, but someone did put it on Blankjack's wrong -- that is to say, right -- leg. Must have been some Ranger, because anypony who grew up in a stable would know which leg it goes on.
Hah, yes; even someone in-universe got it wrong! I didn't notice that aspect of the scene before. :)

SilentCarto wrote:On a side note: Do you supposed the chunk of soul that Cogs sliced off of BJ to get her cutie mark snapped back to the blank along with her memories, or did it die with Luna? I'm leaning toward the latter, which would probably be mostly for the best.
That I'm afraid I do not know.

@swicked:
Interesting idea.

Ryx wrote:Maybe someone needs to make one of those "old timey educational videos" about PipBucks?
Well, there is that bit in the opening of the Book of LittlePip.

Ryx wrote:I'm glad you were able to finish the video too, I hope it was enjoyable.
Aye, thanks. :)
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:53 pm

@Icy Shake
Something I wanted to say regarding the idea of Blackjack as Generosity.

Long story short, I don't think she fits.

She is very much into sacrifice but I think she's as much Generosity as Monterey Jack was Honesty. Basically, Generosity/Sacrifice isn't something she does or some kind of virtue she holds, it's just something she is, no matter the context.

If Rarity is the template, here, then Generosity needs to involve giving something of high value to oneself to make a still greater impact on another’s life. She loved her tail, but it was more important to her for Stephen Magnet to be happy. She loved her designs, but she wanted more to give her friends dresses they would adore. That would make them happy no matter how it might hurt her sense of pride in her work to see her designs mangled.

Blackjack’s sacrifices, her generosity, usually come at the cost of her health, mental or physical. They occasionally involve giving up her life... but she finds no value in her life.

She sees herself as worthless, as burdened with sins that can never be forgiven. She will give up everything she has for others because there’s nothing about her worth keeping, protecting or cherishing. It’s not really a trade, let alone a choice. If she can save someone worthwhile from suffering by putting herself through unimaginable amounts of pain and anguish then it’s just common sense that she do so.

I don’t know what would need to happen to fix that about her. She just needs to be able to see that the sacrifices she’s making are actually generous, that she has value, rather than taking on these sacrifices as if they were her duty and only natural.

...but that’s all part of her messiah bit. It’s a fundamental part of her character, taking on these burdens as easy as breathing. Thus I don’t think she could be a harmonious example of generosity. She needs to see herself as giving up something of value for the sake of others prior to actually fulfilling that role.

On top of ALL that I am not convinced a Blank could survive at EoH ground zero.
The Gardens of Equestria, presumably, channeled the power of harmony into specifically healing the land over a wide spectrum. The bearers, though, are central conduits for all of that harmonic magic.
Blanks are made of the blood of chaos.
I am not convinced a Blank could survive being a bearer.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:22 am

@Icy Shake
"The sword does react with moonstone, right? But why? I get why EoS starmetal does, thematically. His has the one frequency magical spectrum at the Enervation note, moonstone is broad-spectrum life/spirit magic fundamentally opposed to that. But is there a similar reason why other starmetals, including that of the sword, would do so?"

That was one of my additions.
My rational is that moonstone really, really didn't like the Eater. Tom was bent on the Eater's destruction with every particle of its being. It attacked and destroyed starmetal on contact with it. Its effect on other starmetals is something like an allergic reaction. A small burst of energy from a much weaker attack just due to the slightest similarity to that which moonstone really hates.
They were magical matter and antimatter. The effect we'd see, that of them annihilating each other, had as much to do with their opposing frequencies as they did the wills behind their respective existences.

As for the other half of the equation, the non-Eater starmetal, I dunno. Starmetal from different stars have different properties. Chalk it up as another mystery and/or story hook if the reaction provoked a response from the sword and what response that could have been, exactly.
Lots of weird magic going on in that interraction between moonstone and mystery starmetal and souls in pony tech immitating ancient star-zebra designs from out of a cursed black book possessed by an evil spirit.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:11 am

Okay, bit of an announcement: Somber has decided to go ahead without further revisions. Chapters that have had copies go up on FIMFiction may be considered locked, and corrections to them are to be not accepted. Sorry about this, but, well... I do understand that we need a definitive version at some point, the perfect is the enemy of the good, etc. Thank you all again for the help you've been in the past. :)
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu on Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:06 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
Bootleg wrote:Also, I want to show my appreciation for the music choice during the Legate fight scene in 77 there. Feuer Frei was the track, correct?
I'm curious about this too.

Well, it fits! And it even has a much calmer, more melodious song (Mutter) as the next track in the album.

Admiral Stoic Rum wrote:A thought somber, it was cute how you managed to get yourself in there. ;)

Notice how he's NOT a secret agent who participates in a car/helicopter chase with explosions.

Where else did we see such a nice and unobtrusive author's cameo? I can only remember the one from Galactica (although frak everything else about that one'e ending).

DotRook wrote:Now that it's over. I need to apologize for getting Glory's hair wrong all those years ago the first time I drew her, causing her hair to be drawn wrong in almost all fan art ever since. Trollestia

NO FORGIVENESS. ONLY TICKLES NOW.

O. Hinds wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:Liberty Prime?
Oh, was that a reference? Sorry, still never played Fo3.

Well, you're not really missing much...
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by DotRook on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Star metal being something special is actually rather odd. In our reality, anything other than Hydrogen is made inside stars up to Iron and Nickel with heavier elements made in Supernova explosions or colliding stars. Stars that fuse metals are also theorized to exist. In our reality, everything except Hydrogen and helium is star metal.
DotRook
Foal

Brohoof! : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by DotRook on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:35 pm

That's just semnatics though. I imagine more broadly applied Star metal is just loosely applied term for extra terrestrial material with exotic ( likely magical ) properties.
DotRook
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by DotRook on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:44 pm

Of course there are a handful of elements we've created here on earth that don't form naturally, but they're very unstable. We might be close though to creating stable super heavy elements but I'm just rambling now.~
DotRook
Foal

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Valikdu wrote:Well, you're not really missing much...
Thanks.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:16 pm

WavemasterRyx wrote:It's really far too early in the morning for me to be trying to figure out the reasoning behind why a giant robot would want to represent his genitalia in such a fashion though.
Because Michael. Goddamn. Bay.

WavemasterRyx wrote:Basically... it's just supposed to be the memorial from inside the church at Chapel.
Except that I went with the vertical / carbonite approach because I thought it looked more dramatic than having her on her back from the side.
Ohhhhhhh. Okay. I get it now. Thanks!
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:41 am

So it was implied that Whisper is pregnant with her second when she guess to see Fluttershy. Who's the father, then? (Not that I'd expect Psychoshy to go celibate after Stygius died, but...)
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:10 am

That member of the band she looked back at at the time, as I recall.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by FeatherDust on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:26 am

O. Hinds wrote:That member of the band she looked back at at the time, as I recall.
...oh, hah, I see. That just went over my head, I guess.
FeatherDust
Hydra

Brohoof! : 112

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:19 am

No problem. :)
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:32 am

DotRook wrote:Of course there are a handful of elements we've created here on earth that don't form naturally, but they're very unstable. We might be close though to creating stable super heavy elements but I'm just rambling now.~
Physics rambling:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but probably not. As an astrophysicist I really respect once put it, it's hard to imagine a more effective neutron bombardment system than the inside of a supernova. If there were elements that could live on an "island of stability", we'd likely have them in hand already.

Don't get me wrong, the island of stability is a real effect, but it just means that those isotopes hold together for milliseconds rather than picoseconds.
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:11 am

swicked wrote:@Icy Shake
Something I wanted to say regarding the idea of Blackjack as Generosity.
*snip*
I see where you're coming from, and it's certainly something to consider. But there are a couple things about my personal interpretation of the situation that make me see it differently. First and most important, while Blackjack greatly gives of herself/sacrifices herself to help others, that's not what I've tended to interpret as her key "gift." Rather, I see her generosity most manifest her forgiveness and mercy, or at least the attempts at them. And there I don't think the same arguments against apply as well, because we saw so many times that she wished she could simply bear to play out her part as executioner, or not feel compassion and sympathy for the people who she's fighting against. How no matter how much she hates someone, it just never seems to stick once she gets a little bit of context. (Kind of makes me think a bit of Ender Wiggin, actually. Not quite the same, but related.) Hell, with Lighthooves she was trying as hard as she could to give him a way out. Also worthwhile to note on this point is that it's an important point of differentiation between Blackjack and Littlepip, for anyone who took Littlepip's self-assessment seriously, or took it further to simply say that she had bigger problems.

Also, I see the Elements as not only something that the Bearers represent/do themselves, but also what they value, believe in, or need. Twilight was, especially pre-retcon, seriously lacking friendship at the start of the show. Pinkie isn't only about laughter/optimism for herself, but spreading it, and goes nuts or turns into a complete asshole when she's rebuffed. Rarity's beliefs about how ponies worked generally in her "key" episode, or Blueblood in particular in "The Best Night Ever." Dash in "Mysterious Mare Do Well" can't bear it when it seems the town is turning its back on her (and as "What's Eating Rainbow Dash?" explores, if I remember correctly, how it probably didn't help that it was her best friends sticking the knife in). And there, Blackjack values forgiveness and second chances very, very highly, to the degree that it's what she's built her whole life around, and in one case tried to end it in part because of her offer of a second chance for 99 ended in failure and its death. To me, two of the simple, simple things she's built her life around, "Do better" and "Security saves ponies" are fundamentally aspects of generosity. The first directly via the forgiveness/mercy vector, the second as a side note to that in that she generally doesn't live on some kind of basis that Security saves some ponies, or the ponies who deserve it, or those who really want to be saved, it saves everypony, and not just ponies, either.

Anyway, for more (and how it could also apply to Magic), see here from two years ago.

And now that Whisper's Magic, I just love the idea of her pulling rank on Blackjack.

As for the purely logistical things, I don't see them as things that have to be problems. GoE, for instance, didn't really do much to the blanks or alicorns, and within PH itself Discord made a big point of chaos not being evil, order not good, and I could see that being extended to some forms/derivatives of chaos/Discord himself not actually being inconsistent with Harmony. As for there not being any earth ponies, I do not care and as far as I'm aware never cared. There wasn't an alicorn or batpony among the S1-S2 group of Bearers, after all. For that matter, no griffins, zebras, serpents, dragons, donkeys/mules, cows, or draconequi, either.
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:34 pm

For whatever it counts, I don't think Blackjack's 'special talent' is death. She thinks it's death, and she's repressing and struggling with that thought the entire story. It's the Wasteland, Ponies die all the time, but every time a death was even somewhat connected to Blackjack, she blamed herself. But Blackjack didn't directly kill Hatches.
“First one to leave always gets picked up by security.  The others had won, and it was either going to be me or her leaving first.  Getting picked up after curfew was three days locked in rehabilitation cells, or flogging.  So Hatches and I had one more round to see who’d leave first.  I lost.”
   “Oh?”
   “Yeah.  Then I was such a whiny baby about it that she agreed to leave first anyway.  Nice about it, though.  Claimed she had to pee,”
What Blackjack did was, even though she'd lost fairly and the punishment was severe, she made Hatches sympathize with her enough to take the flogging/jailtime in Blackjack's place. Then, unrelated to anything Blackjack did, the hatch malfunctioned. Blackjack thinks her cutie mark is related to that death, but it's just as possible it was what came right before it. I think Blackjack's special talent is whining.

Don't say it doesn't make sense. Blackjack's been making her allies, enemies, and us the readers sympathize with her plights for the entire story. She's just that good at it. And don't say it isn't related to her cutie mark: To Blackjack, her first victory in Blackjack was only possible because of her special talent. At the end of the day, the one thing that all the desolation and loss and pain couldn't get to, the one pony the wasteland couldn't quite break was Blackjack. It's just who Blackjack is: She was already broken.
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:16 pm

I'd like to think that Blackjack's special talent is Perserverance. No matter how much misery, death, and horse manure is tossed at her, she always keeps going. With Scoodle, Stable #99, P-21, Glory, every death, she kept on chugging along. Obviously, she nearly quit a couple of times, longed for death, or went on a bender, but she always came back.
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:18 pm

Evilgidgit wrote:I'd like to think that Blackjack's special talent is Perserverance. No matter how much misery, death, and horse manure is tossed at her, she always keeps going. With Scoodle, Stable #99, P-21, Glory, every death, she kept on chugging along. Obviously, she nearly quit a couple of times, longed for death, or went on a bender, but she always came back.
One of the things that makes "Victory at a Cost" so much more appealing (and admittedly there are many) than simply "Victory" is that it, unlike the latter, is a special case of Perseverance.
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:17 am

Derpmind wrote:But Blackjack didn't directly kill Hatches.
Blackjack is the one narrating all this.
She's been suppressing the event for a very long time. At the Dealer's (or, rather, herself's) goading, she opened up a little more about it... but not entirely.
I don't think we got the whole truth.

Whining might kinda work, though, for the reasons you said and one more. No matter what, the queen and ace of spades never, ever fit with "Go Fish".
It just has no connection to her real name, and never did.
So whining mostly just works in that sense. If you're playing Go Fish and you have those two cards in your hand... I guess you're two hands from winning, at best, though just as likely nowhere close to the end of the game.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:26 pm

Derpmind wrote:I think Blackjack's special talent is whining.

Why is anyone taking this seriously. Princess Celestia

So I never bought the idea that "Go Fish" is BJ's real name, or that it's somehow super significant. I just don't see anything about her character that fits with the name "Go Fish". Besides that, pony's names and cutie marks aligning so much can only make sense if some ponies change their names when they get their marks. That's from the show, yeah, but it really is the only thing that makes sense. The CMC frequently pursue cutie marks that have nothing to do with their names, and when Apple Bloom had the dream where she got a mark for being a zappy pest exterminator, it was perfectly plausible to her that her special talent wasn't related to her name at all.
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next