Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

+11
Downloaded Skill
Katarn
Frost
Icy Shake
O. Hinds
RoboRed
Valikdu
Tytan
Stringtheory
Ironmonger
Scienza
15 posters

Page 1 of 31 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Scienza Fri May 15, 2015 11:19 am

This is beauty:
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. Empty Re: [Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread.

Post by Ironmonger Fri May 15, 2015 11:22 am

@Swicked

The Game Grumps have an unofficial policy of never interacting with YouTube comments, but Ross (RubberNinja), the guy who does another one of their shows called "Steam Train", decided to reply to someone right the fuck out of nowhere with that statement.

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Sex: Male
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 15, 2015 12:20 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:Yo Cobalt, is that you?
Nooooo... :P

I have written about Margaret Atwood, though; never drunk, mind, just sans sleep.

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Fri May 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Well, it's official. I'm done with my current (old!) job, and unoccupied until August. I'm looking forward to the summer.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Fri May 15, 2015 8:12 pm

So, I installed GOG's client on the PC. So far it's pretty sleek. Haven't tried to install anything from it, yet.

By the way, Scienza, do you know how to add people to your friend list?

(also, apparently, it had been exactly one year since I had last bought something from GOG...)
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Fri May 15, 2015 8:58 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Well, it's official. I'm done with my current (old!) job, and unoccupied until August. I'm looking forward to the summer.
Good luck!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Fri May 15, 2015 9:44 pm

And, after more than three weeks in the field, boredom has reached platoon-on-platoon brawling, man-wearing-the-fresh-skin-of-a-rattlesnake-as-a-headband levels
Frost
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 503

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Fri May 15, 2015 11:05 pm

Just saw the new Mad Max. It was basically a two hour long chase scene, all action, almost no plot. Decent action though, worth seeing in my opinion.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Sat May 16, 2015 2:08 am

Stringtheory wrote:Just saw the new Mad Max. It was basically a two hour long chase scene, all action, almost no plot. Decent action though, worth seeing in my opinion.

What are you talking about? It had a fantastic plot. Maybe a bit derivative, but perfect for the setting. And the action was fucking phenomenal.

I don't have a hard time saying that it was not only easily one of the best action movies I've seen in years, but also one of the best reboots/sequels ever.
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory Sat May 16, 2015 2:11 am

Tytan wrote:
Stringtheory wrote:Just saw the new Mad Max. It was basically a two hour long chase scene, all action, almost no plot. Decent action though, worth seeing in my opinion.

What are you talking about? It had a fantastic plot. Maybe a bit derivative, but perfect for the setting. And the action was fucking phenomenal.

I don't have a hard time saying that it was not only easily one of the best action movies I've seen in years, but also one of the best reboots/sequels ever.
It's just that there were like 10-15 tops that weren't action. Like you said it worked very well for the setting, but for someone expecting more it could be a let down.
Stringtheory
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Sat May 16, 2015 2:22 am

Well, to be fair, why expect a lot from a Mad Max story?

The first one was a revenge story with a cop protagonist.

The second one was about Max helping a bunch of people run away.

And what the fuck even was the story of Thunderdome?
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat May 16, 2015 8:14 am

Is that a Splatoon x Hatred crossover??
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu Sat May 16, 2015 11:37 am

Tytan wrote:And what the fuck even was the story of Thunderdome?

Doesn't matter, the goal was to enable the jokes of "<subject name here> can't get beyond Thunderdome".
Valikdu
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat May 16, 2015 12:47 pm

I finally got to get on a Blackhawk today. It was fun, going up and down on that Blackhawk. That Blackhawk was vibrating with power as it carried a bunch of guys to places they could never have gone. I can't wait to ride more Blackhawks
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat May 16, 2015 12:53 pm

So the fucking grunt gets to get on an aircraft before me, who works on them all goddamn day. What a world we live in. *dramatic sigh*
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat May 16, 2015 5:19 pm

So, watched the new Mad Max.

I loved it to bits.

I'm probably going to blabber a bit about it later, but for now I'm just going to say that, interestingly enough, the movie pass the Bechdel Test, and not just on a technicality, but honestly.

Two words: Badass grannies.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sat May 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Kind of strange; how so many fixate on the Bedchel Test when it's actually a pretty terrible measure of how a film treats women
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sat May 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Frost wrote:Kind of strange; how so many fixate on the Bedchel Test when it's actually a pretty terrible measure of how a film treats women
I think it's less about how the movie treats women and more about what gauging what the writers believe that women think. Passing it doesn't really mean much, it's just when something doesn't that things start to go ಠ_ಠ

Personally, I prefer the Sexy Lamp Test, which is if you could replace your female character with a sexy lamp and have the story still basically work, you need to learn how to write goddamn characters.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat May 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Well, yeah, of course.

It's just something I noted and thought to share.

But even without talking about that "test", I think the movie has some kinda strong """feminist""" themes (note that I'm using that term in the vaguest of sense there, please don't try to correct me, thanks).

After all, the primary plot of the movie is "women liberating other women from the shackles of an abusive patriarchal authority".
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Well, yeah, hypothetically if a creator valued women above all else and decided to create a story where woman didn't exist to illustrate their importance that film would still be sexist against women according to that test.

But I personally don't really see the importance of a barometer of sexism, or any other ism or phobia. It really just seems like a way to look down on other people for the media they enjoy.

Only semi related, Just the other day a friend of mine and I were talking about Fifty shades of grey. As evidence to the series being harmful he pointed to people saying the abusive relationship depicted in the book (I haven't read it and I don't really care to. So fuck if I know one way or the other) isn't abusive.

I'll just assume it's true, but you got to consider why they say that. When some people don't like something they don't just stop at saying  "x is horrible" they say "X is horrible and the people who like it are horrible" or "x is stupid and only stupid people can like it". So I'm thinking they've been made to feel guilty for the thing they enjoyed, and when some one came along and said "It's horrible that you like it because it contains this bad thing" they no doubt tried to argue it didn't contain the bad thing.

Pretty sure Kim argued that some artist that drew vaginas she didn't like were terrible and so were there fans because they were inaccurate or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Sat May 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Last wrote:Well, yeah, hypothetically if a creator valued women above all else abd decided to create a story where woman didn't exist to illustrate their importance that film would still be sexist against women according to that test.

But I personally don't really see the importance of a barometer of sexism, or any other ism or phobia. It really just seems like a way to look down on other people for the media they enjoy.

Only semi related, Just the other day a friend of mine and I were talking about Fifty shades of grey. As evidence to the series being harmful he pointed to people saying the abusive relationship depicted in the book (I haven't read it and I don't really care to. So fuck if I know one way or the other) isn't abusive.

I'll just assume it's true, but you got to consider why they say that. When some people don't like something they don't just stop at saying  "x is horrible" they say "X is horrible and the people who like it are horrible" or "x is stupid and only stupid people can like it". So I'm thinking they've been made to feel guilty for the thing they enjoyed, and when some one came along and said "It's horrible that you like it because it contains this bad thing" they no doubt tried to argue it didn't contain the bad thing.

Pretty sure Kim argued that some artist that drew vaginas she didn't like were terrible and so were there fans because they were inaccurate or something.
I fully agree. I don't usually say it because I tend towards hyperbole, but I believe that you can like whatever the fuck you want, or create whatever the fuck you want, it's just that from my subjective perspective, I might dislike said creation. I don't think that Fifty Shades of Grey is actually harmful; I think that the relationships portrayed in the work are abusive, the characters are one-dimensional, and overall, I disapprove of the fact that it exists. Someone can like it, the same way that I like sappy KyoSaya fanfiction or RWBY, I'm just going to quietly (sometimes less so) judge their tastes because I'm a pretentious bitch. 

If I feel that a work has, say, pretty damn misogynist vibes, that's just my appraisal. If that appraisal is reflected by those of others, then one can argue that the work most likely reflects similar themes, but that doesn't really mean shit about the people who watch it unless they filled out a little questionnaire that said that they watched The Wicker Man remake because they think that all women that don't fawn over a man secretly want to burn your children.

The only objectively bad movie is one that's actually a renamed executable file that steals your identity and then bricks your computer. However, there are a fuckton of subjectively bad movies. I think the major problems arise when people conflate the two.
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan Sat May 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Spoiler:
Tytan
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat May 16, 2015 8:26 pm

That feel when you dig through your own archives and end up finding excerpt from discarded projects you don't even remember anymore...

Spoiler:

Seriously, I'm like, intrigued by what even I had in mind...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat May 16, 2015 8:28 pm

In think this may be related:

Spoiler:

One of my standard "big wars happen and thousands of billions die" kinda setting...

I quickly noticed that trend after realizing that I often tended to have Earth destroyed for one reason or another in my stories, often in especially spectacular ways (*)

(*): one of them involved having an asteroid the size of a small moon being deorbited from earth orbit and THEN the vacuum energy reactors that were in that asteroid detonating, literally melting the planet back to its original, 4.5-billions-years-ago state. The whole incident being recorded from thousands of different angles from all the other orbital & moon colonies. If you thought 9/11 was bad...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sun May 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Dat neon pink 80's aesthetic...
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun May 17, 2015 8:34 pm

[Official!] Project Horizons Comment Crew Chat thread. Somber11
And here’s Part Two!
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost Sun May 17, 2015 9:47 pm

Addendum: boredom has reached the level of "The First Sergeant is reclining in a throne of MRE boxes and the CO (a.k.a. "White Shadow") is using the guidon as a spear"
Frost
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza Mon May 18, 2015 8:36 am

Hell fucking yeah:
Scienza
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Mon May 18, 2015 1:55 pm

swicked wrote:
The latest MLP episode:
Spoiler:

Scienza wrote:
Hell fucking yeah:
Rail gun: IlluminatiNazis Confirmed:
Spoiler:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironmonger Tue May 19, 2015 12:57 pm

This sums up how nearly all of my conversations with IRL friends go:

Ironmonger
Daemon Prince of Bad Puns

Brohoof! : 290

Character List:
Name: Cast Iron
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 31 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next