Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Parahumans RP

:: Roleplay

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Re: Parahumans RP

Post by Frost on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:46 am

Deca gave a shrug rather unbefitting the situation of having just left twenty bodies for the maggots to feast on. "Eh, self-defence. Well, you defended yourself once. I sort of 'defended myself', like, nineteen times. From several yards away. In the back, a few times." She looked over to him, an eyebrow raised. "Yeah, if this sort of thing wasn't par for the course from Protectorate duty, I'd probably be in a lot of shit right now." At long last, she managed to get the number right and put the call in to the office at the Tower. 

"Hello? Yeah, it's Deca."
There was a pause.
"Bitch, you don't need my ID code. Put me through or I'll tell Johnson that you were the one that keyed Nick's name into his car."
Another pause.
"Yeah, I need to report possible villain activity in south Downtown, on 14th street. Yeah, you know that pawnshop with the creepy old Jewish guy running it? Yeah, like a block west of that. Like, twenty emaciated, all fuckin' zombie-like motherfuckers tried to maul this Rogue a few minutes ago."
Silence for a moment.
"No, he's not in any group as far as I know."
And another.
"You want me to--right now? A'ight, whatever. Sales pitch it is. Just get that cleanup team--I don't care about their forensic whatever title. They're the cleanup crew--down here whenever you can." With a sigh, she hung up the phone and began digging through it once more.

"Lemme just find--ah, here it is." She turned to Delta with a flat expression, speaking in the most bored, insincere tone of voice possible. "Are you one of the lucky few blessed with superhuman powers?" A Disney "River Safari" guide would have likely sounded more thrilled than she did. "Do you feel the call to something greater?" She waved her fingers vaguely in the air for dramatic effect. "Well, look no further!" It was a talent, it seemed, to be able to make an exclamation with no enthusiasm whatsoever. "The Protectorate needs--" She pointed at Delta, still reading off the pamphlet on her screen. "Yooouuuuuuuu!"

She dropped the phone on the couch with another sigh. "Yeah, I don't know what kind of rock-eaters they're looking to recruit with that."
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 502

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:21 am

Jack shrugged, "It is pretty cliche. But I'm not afraid to say that going toe to toe with the Sultans, now of all times, scares the shit out of me. And honestly it'd take a bit to convince me otherwise."
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Brohoof! : 429

Character List:
Name: Clock / Viktor
Sex: Female / Male
Species: Unicorn / Sand Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:48 am

Val shrugged in turn, crossing her arms with a sigh.

"Nothin' wrong with being scared. Just gotta decide if you wanna let that rule you. Or let murderous villains rule you. Because that may be the case in the coming days, depending on where things go from here." She rubbed her eyes, which, as the painkillers set in, were growing increasingly hard to focus. "It won't even be like a civilized dictatorship or anything. They'll just stand around insulting you in Spanish and strip your car when you're not looking." She trailed off, mumbling to herself about 'Nobody appreciates jackboots anymore.'
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:57 am

Jack sat on the couch, "Maybe. But what's the likes of me gonna do? Stun gun a few gang bangers with my bare hands and fuck with their radios?"
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:14 am

Val snorted as she glanced at him. "Don't sell yourself short. I've seen capes get to the top with some pretty limited powers--hell, no one even ever knew what Harbinger's deal was, and to this day he seems to be the only guy whose career in the Nine didn't end in a bloody mess. You? You're versatile. We can help train you; keep you from another group that wants you and doesn't feel like asking quite so nicely." She slouched back in the couch, propping her leg up on the coffee table. "Dangerous? Fuck yeah. In the end, though, you're doing something that matters. And for me, that's enough to make this--" She waved vaguely at her leg. "--Sorta shit worth it."
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:04 am

For a long moment it seems like Jack wasn't going to say anything. 

"When you tell your teammates their cheesy sales pitch worked I'll bet they won't believe you."
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:27 am

"I ain't sayin' a damn thing about their sales pitch thing." Her voice softened as she turned to him, a small grin on her face. "And....welcome to the team."
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:49 am

"Thanks," he said simply with a little nod.
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:10 am

Val's head was swimming now. "So.....you said your place was nearby? Lemme just....." She sat up and slowly attempted to rise from the couch. Almost immediately she collapsed back down, shaking her head quickly. "Yeah, that's not happening:" her knees felt like jello, her hands still twitching and grasping uselessly. She managed to toss Jack her phone. "Just, like, put your number in. We can talk soon about your orientation and stuff."
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:20 pm

"Uh, sure," he said. 

It took him a minute to orient to a new phone, but he added his own number as a contact. He handed it back to Val, "Well, thank you again for all your help. I'll just head home."
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Val flashed him a thumbs-up. "Cool. Ordinarily, I'd go with you and make sure you got there safe, but I'm pretty sure I'm about to pass out. You wanna Taser or something? We end up with a lot of extra shit like that, and I usually end up snagging a lot of it."
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan on Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:51 pm

"No thanks," he threw his fingers up in horns and sent an arc of electricity between the two points, "I've got my own."

With a wave he left and returned home.
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:45 am

Deca sighed heavily as she scanned over the screen once more. Hours had been spent walking over Southbridge, placing listening and observation devices as subtly as possible. For hours, she'd feigned a calm, confident walk as she 'strolled' through the villain-infested district in the entire Tristate, eyeing every shadow to make sure it didn't have knife. Watching every street as if she expected to see the massed Sultans, Taurus at their head as they marched North. She wasn't exactly some Ward out on first patrol--her thirtieth was coming up, in fact--but she couldn't ever recall being this deep in the shit.

The thought brought up an ugly train of thought. Almost thirty, and all she had to show for it was this--a second-place position of a dysfunctional team in a fucked-up city; hiding out in a dingy, shitty near-empty apartment complex as they tried to get the barest idea of what the villains that surrounded them were doing. The half of her coworkers that were competent hated her guts, and she had more health problems than a cokehead paratrooper.

And people wondered why she was such a sarcastic asshole.

Will sighed as the door closed behind him. Yes, yes, he'd assured the young family. He understood entirely. Dangerous times. Cape or not, they didn't want their son fighting against people like Taurus. Didn't want Noctus following their son's shadow home at night. Reasonable. Sane. Absolutely cowardly.

He shook his head as he began trudging down the stairs. It wasn't right to blame people for not jumping in front of a bullet, more or less. For not taking the risk. Still, though, it was hard to see someone who he'd protected flatly deny doing the same.

He'd actually been excited, too. Most of the people not on Deca's special assignment were tasked with recruiting drives--trying to draw the Rogues and new capes of Glenhaven into the fold in preparation for the attack. He'd even been placed in charge of bringing in new Wards.

From what he'd been hearing, the others were having about as much success as him.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:00 pm

The gentle rays of the morning sun woke up Yusuki this morning, pulling her out of her slumber. She covered herself as she got up from the bed, heading toward the bathroom before changing, putting on a short and a tank top.

Now decent, she headed toward the kitchen, from where emanated the scent of food being prepared.

As she entered it, she saw Maria cooking, pancakes and waffles on the table already waiting.

“Good morning, gentle moon. Sleep well?” Maria asked, smiling, as she finished preparing another pancake.

“Yes, my dear.” Yusuki sat herself at the table, putting some of the prepared food on the plate in front of her.

A few seconds later, Maria did the same.

“So, today.” She said. “I'll be starting at 11:30am. They shouldn't be expecting anything. I expect to be done by the end of the day, at worst.” She liberally sprayed one waffle with maple syrup as she spoke. “I don't think I'll need you here in the meantime. Could you go out and do the groceries today?”

“I'll see to it.” Yusuki answered simply, before putting a slice of pancake in her mouth.

“Good! Then we should be good for today. Another day at the office.” Both smiled.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:30 pm

((I'm just gonna make a best effort at a post, here, to keep things moving.))

Voodoo was not happy. She was generally not happy, but she felt a bit moreso at present. Her standing orders? Pan the area around their HQ, try and identify threats, place intel gizmos. Pretty simplistic, to be honest, except everyone seemed on edge, somehow. She couldn't tail someone for more than half a block before they'd turn and look straight at her. She couldn't get near a conversation without the participants hushing up. She couldn't plant a device without someone looking at her out of the corner of their eye. She'd been worried, at first, but after an hour or two of this with no further signs of aggression it had just become annoying. She shifted her backpack from one shoulder to the other as she swung it in front of her. Reaching in past her doll she pulled out another piece of bubble yum as she spat her previous one at a trashcan. The stuff was good, but she just wasn't accomplishing anything and was worried going back to HQ would just draw all this eerie attention there. So she kept walking. And walking. Damn it.

---

Concoct wasn't doing anything and really, really didn't mind. Sprawled in an alley looking as ratty as he'd ever been he kept up a sort of loose conversation with other addicts in the lot. Buying a needle but shooting up with one of his own he relaxed in a high he hadn't needed to pay to experience as the world quivered and melted around him, enjoying the feeling of off-ness that followed. Displacement as his senses dipped and swerved. His skin crawled as he jerked one arm, then the next. It didn't matter. He recovered a while later and was already ready to go again; relatively certain nobody'd tried to call him back yet. He’d probably accomplished his mission. Asked whatever he was supposed to. They shared as he shared. What... he didn’t really remember, but he’d remember later. Things like that tended to work out.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan on Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:01 pm

James was taking an hour for lunch, and of course he was taking it with Jamie. Generally, being minor celebrities, they could probably eat wherever they wanted, reservation or not. Instead they chose to eat at a little chinese/mongolian restaurant that was both not far from HQ and off the generally beaten path.

Jamie had the sesame beef, James had the coconut chicken.

"You're what," Jamie yelled in hushed tones, so as not to disturb the other patrons.

"It's not like we have that much of a choice," James responded defensively, "It was just a matter of time until we'd have to work different assignments."

Jamie was seething but still kept her voice low, "This was Deca's idea wasn't it, that pill popping cunt, she knows we always work together. Always. And this is just her way of-"

"It was her idea," James interrupted, "but not for the reasons you're thinking. This whole thing is supposed to be low key, and you're, well, not."

Jamie seemed a little indignant, but also looked like she knew exactly what he was talking about, "I don't know what you're talking about."

James gave her a look that said 'really?'.

"Okay, so I end up in a few tabloids, but who on the team doesn't," she conceded.

"Sis you end up in more than Ranger, and he's Ranger," he said.

"Okay, maybe, but what possible use could she have for you? Last I checked you're powers were the opposite of subtle."

"She wants to use me later, after all the surveillance and stuff, as muscle."

"Well if that's all then she could have definitely used me. I'm nearly as strong as you with my suit. And if I wanted to I could build, like, a ninja suit or something that could turn invisible and no one would know I was there. Ninjas are a theme right?"

James didn't have a response.

Jamie continued when he didn't, "I'm telling you, Deca doesn't like me, so she's splitting us up because she know's it'll bother me."

The waiter came by with a check and two freshly made fortune cookies. Each twin took the cookie closes to one another.

Jamie split hers and munched on half as she read her fortune, "Ooo, I should buy a lottery ticket."

James read his to himself.

Prepare for tragedy.

"Yeah, me too," he lied.
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:21 pm

"We're starting to get a sense of where their...I hesitate to say 'patrols'....their 'strolls' take them. The rough patterns, informal as they are. We're building a picture of what buildings they cluster around, where they might be based. No picture yet on where Taurus might rest his head, if he does at all." Ranger's face on the screen nodded as he listened to Deca's report. "Problem is, we're not sure what we're looking for on that front. The intel pukes' most common guess is that he's a Tinker in power armor; since a Case 53 that high-profile would have made way more of a splash coming into town and moving around between attacks, not showing up out of the fuckin' ether once in a blue moon. We've got no damn clue what he--if he is a 'he--looks like without the armor.

"Well, we knew sending your bunch in that we prolly weren't gonna find the guy just sittin' in full armor in some bar while his gang had a little fiesta--"

"I'm pretty sure that's racist on some level."

"So the intel we're getting is more than a lot of the PRT guys expected--Director's fat ass included. Keep me posted, and let me know when the calvary's needed." With that, the screen went dark. Deca was glad for that--she didn't know how much longer she could bite back every smartass remark that came to her mind when she talked to the guy. 

That was probably how most of the team felt about her, really.

Deca sighed as she punched the button on the table, keying her team's hidden comms--save James', as he'd taken a lunch break somewhere. As usual, he'd been acting weird and spacey since the mission had kept him from being at his sister's side twenty-four/seven. And, as usual, it'd been weird as hell, but she wasn't going near that issue with a forty-foot pole.

"Voodoo, Concoct; status report." Concoct's interviews should be nearly done by now, and Voodoo, like any who went out to keep presence on the streets, was instructed to keep in close contact anyway.

Luca gave a friendly half-smile and a nod of thanks as Miguel handed her a a brown paper bag. The sandwich had come from a small shop  a ways down the street, the labor of love from a kindly old couple that had come from Mexico some forty years ago. Such nice people; parental.

Luca and the others like them so much, they only charged half of their normal protection fees.

As she took a bite, she looked over to the small man that sat before an open laptop at the end of the table, the glare of the screen casting his bearded face in a bluish light against the dim lighting of the room. His fingers were steepled before him, his cold eyes narrow as he watched.

"See," She swallowed her bite of sandwich. "It's stuff like that that makes people think you're creepy. Not as creepy as Gus, but pretty fuckin' creepy."

"It's a gift." He replied calmly, his eyes still fixed on the screen. "Not everyone can have so commanding a presence." Their years together had done little to help Luca discern from her boss' deadpan demeanor if he was joking or not. He rarely was.

The video he was watching, she knew, was from a camera one of the hangers-on had taken along into one of the hideouts they'd helped the Sultans raid. The young would-be gangsters on the screen, the ones not bleeding on the ground, were being dragged out of their hole; beaten in ways that made most gangs' initiations seem tame. The video showed nothing of the Sultan's tactics, none of their numbers--only fleeting, shaky glimpses of their masked and concealed forms. It showed most eloquently, though, the brutality they were capable of. The viciousness with which their would-be opposition was dealt with. It showed that they and they alone ruled the streets of Southbridge. Luca knew what he was going to say before the words left his mouth.

"This needs to be seen."

"Already done." She flashed him the screen of her phone. "'Leaked' online a few minutes ago. Doubt it'll get much attention nationally-or even regionally--but our best guess is that it hits the 11 o'clock news."

He nodded silently. He always did appreciate his lieutenants' initiative. "Speak to our little photographer. He keeps us hidden, yet makes us look unstoppable. If it's luck or skill, he needs to be rewarded--and see if he can do it again."

Luca rose as she began dialing the number. "And, Luca?" She looked back to him. "Do tell Agustin to rein back his men. A few left over for questioning or sent wounded and scattered is preferable to a bloodbath." With that, he closed the laptop, his face plunging into darkness.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tytan on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:37 pm

Mr. Lucius Stone reflexively straightened his tie. He looked out the darkened windows of his limousine at the faces in the crowds strolling down the street. He got a sense of fear, and general paranoia from the vast majority. Like they were ready to drop to the ground at the first signs of shots being fired.

"We're two minutes away Mr. Stone," said his secretary in a clipped tone.

"Thank you Ms. Stark," he responded, smooth yet reflexive. He had noticed that the store fronts were becoming lower and lower class. A sure sign they were approaching the poorer parts of Glenhaven.

In silence they rolled up to a newly constructed building with a temporary stage in front and a herd of 'the media' gathered.

Taking a deep breath, and putting on his best jovial smile, he opened his own door.

His PR people tell him that this makes him seem more 'down to earth'.

Whatever keeps the general public happy.

Camera flashes suddenly blinded him, but he's used to it and doesn't react except to nod at everyone as if they were all his close, personal friends.

With Ms. Stark and his bodyguard, Mr. Stein, close behind he made his way through the crowd and onto the stage.

He waited for the murmuring of the crowd to dull before he started, "Ladies and Gentlemen, thanks to the lobbying of city hall, and with the financial support of the Morningstar Corporation, I have the pleasure of welcoming you to Glenhaven's newest youth outreach center. Here the doors will be open to the children of the city twenty-four hours a day seven days a week all year round. And I'm very excited to reveal a brand new program, developed by Morningstar. If there are any young people out there who've started exhibiting powers and are unsure what they should do can come here and meet with our specially trained counselors to help them deal with the new found stress."

Short, sweet, and to the point. The crowd erupted in applause. He flashed them a winning smile and raised his hand to them. More camera flashes.

Slowly he made his way back to the limo, answer reporters questions with short, concise answers, until they were back in the relative safety of the car.

Without shifting his gaze her way he addressed his secretary, "Take us back to the office. Contact the Family. Let them know the new screening center will be ready soon."

"Yes Mr. Stone."

Last edited by Tytan on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tytan
The Great Bait Hunter

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:33 pm

Arachne's yawn broke into a laugh as she watched a video of a boston terrier flipping out and attacking a stream of water being directed at its face from a hose. It hadn't been four hours since she finally convinced Panoptes to clear the rest of the Myths to go full dark. Most already had, of course... it was the norm. Evacuation, observation, relocation. Myths that would leave were picked up in the light of day by personal vehicles, bus stops, cabs... all at staggered intervals. Few on foot and, even then, not for long. Quick and efficient. The majority had left before the Sultans had even really started swarming, looking for the obvious... the exact opposite of what the Myths were. There hadn't even been any close calls. The problem, as always, was the people off-script.
The Ex-Myths were standing their ground, shoring up their defenses, and losing. Even with her and her brother running interference, baiting Sultans where they could and taking some down where ever possible, the ones that stayed didn't stand a chance. It wasn't until a few hours after the last base cut all communication that Panoptes had given up. He could see the Sultans closing, he could try and warn the ex-Myths through alternate means, he could try and convince her and her brother to stick their necks out again... and he would fail. The "ex-hero" had been taking it hard before finally surrendering to sleep. She only hoped he was too tired for nightmares.
Arachne's Skype lit up with a call and she alt-tabbed over to it.
"Check out the news." Rex's voice came through, almost gleeful. Arachne moved to one of the rooms with a TV and clicked over to local news. "Huh, new youth center. Is that..?"
"Yeah," Rex cut in, "almost ironic, huh?"
"Sure." Arachne replied with a shrug. The land they'd built on was that of a previous youth center of the Myth's own. It had been pretty popular, offering a lot of good outreach and had been a phenomenal cover.  They'd been sad to let it go... but the location was clearly pretty great and the artificial traffic the Myth's brought to it had made it seem really successful on the books, so the offer they'd gotten for it had been astounding. They'd renovated two more youth centers as bases in the city and had been looking at even more before the current situation had locked them down. Now the Myths had competition for the hearts and minds of the city's youth. She supposed she'd have to see what they could do to starve them out... maybe even see if they could be baited into inadvertently buying another one of their HQs and trying again.
The broadcast suddenly cut with the emergence of "breaking news". Blurred images of ex-Myths getting dragged out of a hideout she didn't recognize (but looked relatively suburban) and getting beaten unmercilessly as the excited commentators chatted about the "leaked footage". Completely out of context, it was just people bearing Sultan colors and tags beating the crap out of a bunch of random kids. The news' abridged version of the video was even focusing on the violence against clear minorities by Sultans that looked, for all their typically Latin membership, pretty white... at least, in that light with so much of the image blurred. One of which was even a cape from how bloody mist peeled away from every place he reached out to on one particularly unfortunate black fifteen-year-old girl. At least, she looked black from the skin she still had attached to her. It didn't really surprise Arachne that, of all the violence in the video, that was what they'd decided NOT to censor. The commentators started asking why a city-wide alert hadn't been put in place, why the police weren't doing anything about this violence, and a plethora of other damning questions. While the full video (which she had no interest in watching but she bet her brother already had on his screen) would probably be pretty terrifying she had to wonder if the message the Sultan's had really wanted to convey was "Hey, look at us, we can beat and kill children and nobody's gonna do anything about it. Woo!" With any luck, National news would pick this up, the president would comment on it and Southbridge might finally get enough attention to be a half-way decent place to live.
Suppressing mixed feelings of guilt and hope she went to lay down for a bit, taking some ibupropion for a brewing headache.
"Hah, you gotta see some of the response vids being posted on /cape/."
"No, I don't." she replied, clicking off the call. A few seconds later the text chat pinged with a new message.
“Dont be a bitch. Prolly gonna check out youth center later. Want in?”
“No.” she sent back before shutting the laptop. She was too tired to argue why that was a bad idea. Setting her phone alarm, she tossed it and her laptop onto a bed before collapsing on it herself. She'd been trying to stay up until she could get a full night's sleep tonight, but something suddenly told her if she wanted to get any rest in at all, now was probably the time.

---

Concoct stared at the sky for a while before his mind caught up enough to recognize Deca's voice. He breathed out "Here," followed a few seconds later by him activating his com and stating a bit more clearly "Alive."

Voodoo leaned back against a wall as she pulled her jacket up to somewhat cover her mouth. "Just Fine. Patrolling. Not making much progress. Everyone seems really... aware, here." She shivered, despite the fact that it wasn't particularly cold. "I can't do anything without spotting a couple eyes on me. Mind if I just head back to HQ? The one here, I mean."
Not waiting for a response, she pushed herself from the wall and began walking briskly toward where they'd set up.

((The random cape I made up is named "Grind". He can project waves of a pale, pulsing light that strip away a little of anything they hit, turning it into dust/mist/particulate. He can fire them rapidly so the effect stacks up as the material is progressively stripped away. As this isn't very useful in combat situations but makes for decent torture and effect, he was featured in the video.
I'm not really sure if there's any thematic scheme to how Sultans are named or what their powers are, so I just made up someone whose powers I thought would be visually gruesome without there being instant-death like Vibora is capable of.))

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:20 pm

A ping from Headquarters--not an emergency, by the looks of it, but something so important they'd broken inter-echelon comm silence during an undercover op to ensure she saw--flashed on the largest screen. Distracted, she nodded--though her team couldn't exactly hear her nod over the phone-- "Yeah, good work, Concoct. Better than I expected. Make sure you're not followed, Voodoo."

She opened up the file they'd sent, and her eyes narrowed. A News Flash? They may have just lit up this op to any comm sniffer in the district to send her a News Flash? Her anger faded, however, when she saw exactly what was being portrayed--Sultans, unmistakably. And they were going to town on some gaggle of kids. Harder than she'd seen them go on a few rival gangs in their early days. This wasn't just some random violence--which the Sultans didn't tend to engage in, anyway--this was sending a message.

But, judging from the quick cuts, the conspicuously-placed blurring and black-box effects, it seemed whoever had put this video on air had a different message in mind. The Sultans' lighter-skinned members alone were unobscured as their brutality against only the darker-skinned kids were seen. It wasn't perfect--Here and there, one could still glimpse an olive or coppery face with a green-and-black bandana tied around the neck, or see a white or Asian youth falling back along with the rest of the apparent victims--but it would be more than enough to stir the ignorant--a great many people, in her experience--into a frenzy.

Deca's jaw clenched as she stared at the screen. At long last, the Sultans' brutality was out there for the world to see, irrevocable and undeniable--and it was being passed off as some sort of fucking race war. Sure, maybe Glenhaven's PRT would get a few extra bucks thrown their way, maybe another cape or two; maybe there'd be rioting in Indiana and self-righteous bloggers on the internet, but it'd all just blow over in a few weeks anyway, even if the truth didn't come out and the public dismissed the "boring, normal gang violence" as if people--kids, according to this video--weren't out there still being beaten and killed no matter their skin color.

Though it wasn't the normal time for her dose, a few pills helped quiet the throbbing ache that had worked its way up her leg, as it usually did whenever her blood set to boiling. Likewise, the throbbing behind her eyes, the stress of days of undercover work and now this load of shit--began to slide back. Without the oppressive veil of that anger cast over her thoughts, she could actually think a bit clearer now. She rose from her chair and began to pace, arms folded. 

Still, she was torn between simply stewing over the resentment and frustration that lingered behind, and letting her mind race forward with the possibilities. She couldn't guess how the Sultans would respond to the news report. She had little doubt they'd allowed it to slip out, but it being seen as white-on-minority violence likely wasn't in their plan. The biggest question, for now, was exactly how they'd react in the short-term. If they stepped up patrols, initiated more 'crackdowns' like the one in the video, this observation post could be compromised very quickly. If it made them look out, out towards the city in preparation for larger-scale police action, then this could be a golden opportunity.

She remained where she stood, arms folded, as she faced out the window. If she didn't hear from Voodoo within a matter of minutes, she might have to go out searching. The situation had gotten a lot more complicated.

((I like the cape. There's no particular theme to their powers, though many of them--like the "big three", obviously--possess some degree of Changer capability. Names, though they tend to be of Latin or Romance-language origin, are also up to the cape themselves entirely--such as Sci's character's former alias of 'Knockout'))

"Am I going crazy, John?"

"Probably."

Malcom--Mantis, to anyone outside the apartment they sat in-- shook his head as he turned from the television towards the older man. "No, really. I could swear I saw a few of those kids the other night. Early on, when we busted that strip-mall looting?"

John's eyes narrowed as he stood, eyes fixed on the screen as he moved closer. "Now that you mention it....wait, are those Sultan colors? Those kids are stuck against Latin Sultans?" He shook his head slowly. "Jesus."

From her place at the desk, Christina looked to the scene on the screen with furrowed brows. "I--"

"You want to help them." John knew her too well to expect anything less. The Tinker cleared her throat in response.

"I'm not going to ask you to go up against Latin Sultans. Not for my sake or the sake of some kids you barely know." Malcom grinned as he looked back to her.

"Good thing you don't have to."
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Concoct smiled. He’d done good, so he deserved a reward, right? And that was his last conscious thought for a long while.

“Yeah, okay, I’ll... do that.” Voodoo stated. She looked around. No one seemed to be following her, so... yeah. She assumed that was the case. It didn't take her long to get back to base, but it seemed like she missed something along the way. Deca seemed particularly annoyed when Voodoo finally reached her. Voodoo had to suppress her smirk.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:11 pm

Deca's face, reflected in the window she stood before, did not particularly look happy. Her jaw was set, her eyes narrow and unfocused--though it was hard to tell if that was from the deep thoughtfulness her features suggested, or the recent dosage that her mostly-painless posture hinted toward. As Voodoo stepped in, Deca gave a sideways nod towards the monitor, where the news report was still cycling on auto-play.

"Things just got a lot more complicated." She turned, glancing Voodoo up-and-down as if verifying that she'd come back safe from her patrol, and headed toward the table where much of their gear was staged. "I need a feel of the situation out there." She said as she readied her own discreet comms. Dressed in tattered jeans, a long-sleeved shirt, and now a faded hoodie, with her unkempt hair and tattoos, she looked more like a Southbridge local than some of their actual 'neighbors' in the building. "And, no offence, I'm not leaving you out there while, for all we know, the hornets' nest is feelin' a kick."

The hulking form seemed to glide across the rooftops, leaping from streetlight to awning with the nimble, fluid grace of a housecat before landing near-silently on the street below. The few locals walking the street--already with their heads down but their eyes open and quickly scanning--flinched, but didn't run at the sight of the beast. Not that they weren't afraid, of course. They'd simply grown used to the sight of it.

Six feet tall at the shoulder, the frightfully lean feline's pitch-black, whisping form was interspersed with flared "spots" of orange-red fire, shifting and changing in pattern with each second. Now, though, the 'spots' quickly consumed the smoking haze that made up the rest of the creature before rapidly fading, leaving behind a tall, dark-haired and dark-skinned man with a face etched in a distinctive tattoo of a Panther.

Leopard gave a mocking parody of a smile and a wave to his quietly frightened "friends" on the street before stepping into the darkened building. He weaved through the piled and stacked wares on the main floor and into a well-lit room in the back, where several of his companions already waited, watching the television mounted on the wall.

"Well, this could've gone better." Luca was saying. She gave him that bright, warm smile as she saw him walking in. "Glad you could make it. You've seen this already, I bet?" It was a strange, but pleasant thing, working under a boss who seemed to think she was the group's collective "big sister". The Street Cats, before their absorption-cum-eradication by the Sultans, were much less appeasing to their inferiors.

"Most of the city has. Don't think a lot are fooled, though. This gonna be a problem?" Miguel, kicked back in an aging recliner, shrugged in response.

"They might send in help for the fucks up the street to deal with us. Could be a pain in the ass, 'specially since ain't many of 'em right now puttin' up much of a fight. Cowboy, biker bitch, little girl with the weirdo doll......'s about it."

Leopard--or Christof, as his friends here called him--could have sworn the temperature dropped a few degrees when the tall, dark-garbed form practically glided in, not even acknowledging them as he headed for the doorway on the other side that lead to the more secure parts of the building, where the boss' crib was. Luca, as always, didn't seem phased by the weirdo.

"Hey, Gus. You seen the news yet?"

"Yeah." The gruff voice, as always, didn't seem concerned. Or angry, or cocky, or anything. Just cold and...off.

"You think you'll be able to help manage the damage control?"

"Won't have to." Despite himself, Christof couldn't help but chime in.

"Why the fuck not?" He was glad he couldn't see the eyes behind the mask as the snarling metal visage swung toward him. He was already berating himself inside--There was barely any telling what could trigger that freak, and he'd just had to open his mouth.

"'Cause I saw the video. They're looking for gringos. We're fine." With that, he turned and slipped in the door, letting it close almost silently behind him.

Miguel looked like he'd been struck from the expression on his face; a mix of weirded-out, creeped-out, and confused.

"Did he just...make a joke?"

The red-clad gangbanger went down hard, his front half still smoking. The red-hot arrowhead had hit the magazine of his rifle squarely, cooking off every round inside in a chain reaction that sent bits of metal flying and now left its wielder and two of his buddies down for the count.

Mantis grinned behind his mask as he dropped from the rooftop, hooking an arm-blade on a street light to turn his fall into an arching forward leap. He twisted and let his other blade lash out--separated into two curving, electrified pieces, the weapon in its current mode had little cutting power, but damn did the last guy shake when a shock half-again as strong as a police-grade taser went through him.

Turning, Mantis could barely see Longbow on the rooftop, another arrow at the ready as she scanned to the left. Above him, Camaza was looking opposite; the two covering the street in both directions.

"Little rough, don'tcha think, E?" He glanced up at the archer again, wondering what other sorts of nasty surprises were in the quiver at her hip.

"It's the 'Bridge, dude. No cops coming to pick them up, and there's no point in just putting them down so they can get back up in half an hour. They'll live, but for now, there's three less scumbags to worry about." Mantis shrugged in response as his blades folded away to let him seize the stunned Naga under the arms and begin hauling him out of sight of the street. He didn't want to admit it, but E had a point.

Sure as hell wouldn't do much good arguing about it now. Not when they had an interrogation to do.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Voodoo stared blankly at the unusually-melancholy Deca as she took off her backpack and jacket. It was very weird... she couldn’t remember the last time she’d seen the woman this way. Walking to the monitor the watch the broadcast, the violence was a little unsettling, but... she hesitated to say she’d become jaded to it, but that was the way she’d been taught to respond to it. Besides, there was a pressing question that was quickly confusing and aggravating her in equal parts.
“...they know they’re called the Latin Sultans, right? I mean... how? I mean, sure, they might be racists on top of everything else, but they... what... what the hell is going on here? Do they think... they were attacking all kinds of... and why were they even doing that?” She stopped herself before she got more aggravated. This stuff didn’t make sense. Why would the news show something that was so obviously, blatantly wrong? It would make them look bad, right? It couldn’t be the Protectorate, it made them look bad, too. Not the Sultans, it was just ridiculous. Could the victims in the video be doing this? Why were the Sultans beating them like that in the first place? What kind of message could it even be? If the victims leaked the video to try and get help... but it would have been difficult to get without being spotted, right? Her mind spun through loops as she tried to make sense of what was happening on-screen.
“...just, what? What is happening here, Deca? ‘Cause that.” she said, pointing at the screen, “doesn’t make sense. And leaving me here? You seriously dragged me out here to walk in circles and then having me, what, sit at the console? Or do I just walk around in circles inside now?! ‘Cause seriously, to hell with that.” she finished, picking up her jacket and backpack and putting them back on.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:45 am

Deca looked back toward Voodoo with her still-glazed-over eyes meeting the younger woman's. It wasn't the pills that robbed the sharp edge that crept into her voice when dealing with this sort of thing, naturally. She was just...tired. Yeah, tired, that was it.

"Voodoo. Someone's got to maintain contact with HQ, and it's either you, me, or Concoct, and I think we both know it ain't gonna be Concoct. The situation could be getting a lot more volatile out there, and to hell with me just sitting in here while my team's in danger. We also need eyes out there getting a read for how the 'Bridge reacts to it; we might even be able to pinpoint Sultan hotspots from the activity--and, I'm pretty much the only trained law enforcement officer on this branch, let alone on this team now."

She pointed toward the monitor that the younger heroine stood before. "As for that video, Og's guess is that the Sultans or their sycophants leaked it as a fear tactic, and the media completely hatchet-jobbed it." An insistent droning suddenly sounded in her ear. "Speak of the devil......" She reached into her jacket pocket and pressed the small, hidden switch for her comm. "Whatcha got for me, Og?" She was silent for a moment, listening intently. Her eyes widened, her features taking on an inscrutable cast. "No shit? Tell Freddy and Rob to hold up. I'll link up with you and send Voodoo their way." 

Her eyes snapped back to Voodoo as she reached to the table, scooping up a 'pillbox'--an apparently-perfect mockup of a low-end smartphone with an array of electrical and injection-based non-lethal weapons packed in alongside an electronic warfare suite and tracking program; built for undercover ops and one of the many gizmos to come out of the PRT's Tinker-shops courtesy of Whats-His-Face McAxe-Guy from the 'Bay--and tossed it to Voodoo.

"Scratch the monitor duty, Leah. The boys just caught sight of Leopard heading into a warehouse not far from here. You link up with the weirdos, I'll meet the Slav, and we're gonna recon the place. Targets of opportunity at my discretion; but we don't engage 'til we know what's in there." Her earlier stupor seemed to have been burned off by a mild shot of adrenalin as they finally had a serious lead. She continued speaking as she strode for the door. "Raise Concoct; try and get him back here to cover the rear. Route HQ to my comms 'til he gets here." A direct link to her comms--which traded security for their small size--risked her being tracked by the signal, but there was little alternative until they had someone back to stay in contact manually.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:49 am

((Posting since I said I would, but I wouldn't mind waiting for when Harmony can post. There's more to cover when at least two threads are going at once.))

Leah fumbled with the pillbox for a few moments before getting a grip on it. The change that had gone through Deca had been a dramatic one and had taken the younger heroine aback. Mood swings seemed fairly commonplace for her superior, but that didn't make them predictable. Nodding at the order, she turned and left the room, double-checking her costume was stored in her backpack as she went. She'd have to find somewhere to change on the way, as she didn't particularly want to blow Concoct's "cover" in case this fit of action were to lead right back into another stakeout.
It didn't take her long to home in on his signal as she repeatedly failed to get a response from Concoct over coms. Almost before she knew it, she stood at the opening to a narrow ally, peering into the shadows at the many sprawled-out bodies in it.
"Ellis!" she hissed.
"What?" a voice groaned from inside.
"Come on, you have to get home, you’re gonna be late!”
"Ugh... go away."
"What?"
"I said go away. You're not Deca. You can't boss me around."
Leah resisted the urge to facepalm. Concoct was, apparently, too shit-faced to maintain his own cover. So much for diplomatic. Looking around, she quickly spotted a piece of concrete that had crumbled and broken off on the side of the street. Picking it up, she went back toward the alley. "Ellis!" she yelled.
"What?!" the man replied, stirring a bit. Taking aim, she lobbed the concrete, it landing hard on his stomach. Doubling over, he hacked repeatedly before standing up and bolting toward the the opening Leah and previously been standing in before turning and running toward the the meetup point her pillbox was leading her towards. In a matter of moments Concoct had nearly caught up to the heroine. Her words finally took root, though, and he slowed down to a trot before turning and heading back toward HQ.
"Yawn... you could have just asked." Concoct said, rubbing his stomach as he went.

"Yeah... I did." Came Voodoo's reply over coms before she resumed filling him in on the situation under her breath and jogged the rest of the distance to the meetup with Freddy and Rob.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5