Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Worm Discussion Thread

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Frost on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:07 am

Interlude 18#4:

I don't quite know why, but I love Faultine and her crew. I'm glad to see them returning to the narrative (even if it is bloodied, kicking and screaming) rather than just fading away. Hell, it seems that Wildbow makes a habit of that--no one who's still alive will get off Scott-free. The Pure have their Theo-related deadline, the mercenaries have this new job, Parian has both her tentative working relationship with the Undersiders and a burgeoning relationship with Flechette, ect. Hell, stuff that I'd forgotten about (like the Wards' therapy) is brought up. Nothing, thus far, is aborted, forgotten, or not followed through to its bitter conclusion. 

avatar
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Posts : 6617
Brohoof! : 502
Join date : 2012-10-03
Age : 22
Location : Fort Bliss

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:54 am

11.b:
My gosh, Jack Slash is fun,  too. Assuming he's not lying and ignoring the inklings of multiverse theory, the idea of a serial murderer actually sitting down and appreciating the effect he has on the world... on loved ones, enemies, and acquaintances past, future and present... for each life he takes is chilling. Thinking of it as less of a life and more of a piece in an ever-evolving puzzle spanning a near infinite number of dimensions. Butterfly wings, but so much more.
I even love his symbolic gesture of "canceling out" the effect made by future Theo, even if it flies in the face of such a philosophy. Jack is insane, after all, so he can't really be consistent.
It's really the thought that counts, and that thought has always been so rare in fictional madmen.

I'm having fun with this story. So many baddies in such an endless parade of variety Pinkie Pie

Edit:
11.e:
“You call them Fenrir’s Chosen. I’m a scholar, believe it or not. I know Fenrir was one of the beasts that brings about Ragnarök, the death of the gods. Fenrir was the beast who slew Odin, Allfather, king of the gods. Fenrir was a wolf . Too coincidental for that to be an accident on your part.”

...yes, they are called Fenrir's Chosen because of HookWOLF.
Empire Eighty Eight was started by a guy who went by Allfather. This is in continuing with that nordic theme.
Hookwolf desires to rid the world of all but the strong and does state to his followers that will pertain to the most perfect, genetically-pure examples of the arian race. Really, he wants the most perfect people in general. It's more of a logical extension of the original purpose of the group.
I mean maybe he'd be fine, were his circumstances different, with having physically superior warriors of every race on his team... but I doubt he's complaining.

In any case, in the end, Hookwolf is a leader. He is a commander of his army. He wants to change the world, his way and cannot do so alone.
Shatterbird's negotiation tactic of killing and maiming his men in a surprise attack, stating she and her band of merry psychopaths bent on doing nothing but raking up a bodycount want the same thing Hookwolf wants, then stating he should give up on his followers and join their group which has its own leader in Jack Slash, were all stupid ideas. She is terrible at this negotiation thing.
Her last desperate claim that the others will avenge her was the only intelligent move she made, and it hardly makes up for all the dumb crap she did.
She certainly takes on airs of being intelligent, but that doesn't make her so.
If Hookwolf wasn't so worried about the prospect of killing her and/or bringing down the wrath of the Slaughterhouse 9 (well, 8), then I'd of at least wanted him to take a limb or two of hers as payment for the soldiers she killed.
But oh well, can't have everything.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:10 pm

11.1-6:
Now that I have a better idea for what Taylor is trying to do I redact what I had to say about the loss of respect. Though I'm still not a fan of this "all-in" thing.



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Stringtheory on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:12 am

25.x:
I just found these two comments (quoted in part):
Calderon proved to be a giant bad idea factory for the entire story. Everything the do screams: “We can see the lines of victory! Nothing could possibly go wrong!”
Cauldron’s blind spot is that they think what Contessa and their other precogs see as THE road to victory is in reality only a single one out of many.
These two comments made me realize that Cauldron is a deconstruction of the '(precognisant) shadow group doing whatever it takes to save the world' trope, in this case they're arguably doing more harm than good especially in the short term and in the end they'll probably fail horribly thereby proving that their shadow games were all for naught, only for the regular heroes working through regular methods to save the world.
avatar
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Posts : 2097
Brohoof! : 97
Join date : 2012-05-13
Age : 23
Location : Amherst, MA

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:19 am

12.x (jack interlude):
I am confused as heck. Jack counts mannequin's failure as a failure to beat a candidate with his test, docking the guy a day.
...but mannequin didn't lose to a candidate. He lost to Skitter, who Jack doesn't mention when counting off the candidates later.
So what is going on, here? Is this just a bad assumption on his part? One mannequin decided against correcting him for?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Stringtheory on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:23 am

swicked wrote:
12.x (jack interlude):
I am confused as heck. Jack counts mannequin's failure as a failure to beat a candidate with his test, docking the guy a day.
...but mannequin didn't lose to a candidate. He lost to Skitter, who Jack doesn't mention when counting off the candidates later.
So what is going on, here? Is this just a bad assumption on his part? One mannequin decided against correcting him for?
Spoiler:
I think Mannequin had to forfeit his chance at one of the candidates (Bitch?) due to Skitter and Co. beating the crap out of him, thus he lost a day
avatar
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Posts : 2097
Brohoof! : 97
Join date : 2012-05-13
Age : 23
Location : Amherst, MA

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:33 am

stringtheory wrote:
swicked wrote:
12.x (jack interlude):
I am confused as heck. Jack counts mannequin's failure as a failure to beat a candidate with his test, docking the guy a day.
...but mannequin didn't lose to a candidate. He lost to Skitter, who Jack doesn't mention when counting off the candidates later.
So what is going on, here? Is this just a bad assumption on his part? One mannequin decided against correcting him for?
Spoiler:
I think Mannequin had to forfeit his chance at one of the candidates (Bitch?) due to Skitter and Co. beating the crap out of him, thus he lost a day
Spoiler:
Skitter and nobody, she solo-ed the freak.
So, losing an irrelevant, personal engagement with anyone/anything has ramifications on the new candidate choosing process? 'Cause that just doesn't seem to make sense to me since Jack seemed to be laying out the testing process as allowing each member to do whatever they wanted to whichever candidate they wanted as their "test".
...but the engagement with Skitter had nothing to do with any candidate and happened prior to the rules even being laid down.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Stringtheory on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:36 am

swicked wrote:
stringtheory wrote:
swicked wrote:
12.x (jack interlude):
I am confused as heck. Jack counts mannequin's failure as a failure to beat a candidate with his test, docking the guy a day.
...but mannequin didn't lose to a candidate. He lost to Skitter, who Jack doesn't mention when counting off the candidates later.
So what is going on, here? Is this just a bad assumption on his part? One mannequin decided against correcting him for?
Spoiler:
I think Mannequin had to forfeit his chance at one of the candidates (Bitch?) due to Skitter and Co. beating the crap out of him, thus he lost a day
Spoiler:
Skitter and nobody, she solo-ed the freak.
So, losing an irrelevant, personal engagement with anyone/anything has ramifications on the new candidate choosing process? 'Cause that just doesn't seem to make sense to me since Jack seemed to be laying out the testing process as allowing each member to do whatever they wanted to whichever candidate they wanted as their "test".
...but the engagement with Skitter had nothing to do with any candidate and happened prior to the rules even being laid down.
Spoiler:
No this was later, once everything had been setup, Mannequin tried to get to Bitch and Skitter and Co. drove him back, and in order to survive he had to 'tag' in Burnscar who in the course of their fight lit a fire in Skitter's district.
avatar
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Posts : 2097
Brohoof! : 97
Join date : 2012-05-13
Age : 23
Location : Amherst, MA

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:38 am

...okay. No, because he was still webbed when he showed up. You're talking about stuff I haven't gotten to yet and so don't answer my question.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Stringtheory on Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:39 am

swicked wrote:...okay. No, because he was still webbed when he showed up. You're talking about stuff I haven't gotten to yet and so don't answer my question.
Huh, sorry, I could've sworn that happens earlier...guess not.
avatar
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Posts : 2097
Brohoof! : 97
Join date : 2012-05-13
Age : 23
Location : Amherst, MA

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:53 am

12.X:
Cherish confuses me. She wanted the slaughterhouse 9 to be "wrapped around her finger" to what end? They're just a bunch of mass murderers. Did she just want to be able to pick their targets? I'm not sure how much more she could have hoped for.
Is she not willing to mass murder? She's just so worried about her punishment she seems to have completely forgotten she's dealing with psychopaths. If she'd just roll with it and keep having fun she could end up proving she still has a place with them. Jack's made it pretty clear it's easy to change his mind if you intrigue him.

Honestly, the least she could have done is enjoy the slaughter of the Merchants. It certainly sounded entertaining-enough.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Frost on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:03 pm

22.4:

I do not, in any true fashion, share Taylor/Skitter's experiences with bullying. Nonetheless, I dislike the type. The arrogantly invincible ones, the ones throwing their weight around like they own the place. The chapter's conclusion was, therefore, quite cathartic.

I'm glad I'm in my room reading this, because it would be rather disruptive if I was out and about and began smiling and half-silently cheering and exclaiming "holy shit" as I literally was. That was, perhaps one of, if not the single most satisfying moments in the story thus far. Beyond Coil's defeat. Beyond Lung's, or Armsmaster's, or anyone else's. The invincible Alexandria, suffocating on vermin, even as Tagg's soft tissues are chewed up and devoured.

And that iron-hard will Taylor had, having gone from a submissive victim to that; that satisfyingly ironic echo of "inevitable". No matter where this next chapter goes, it was worth it.


avatar
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Posts : 6617
Brohoof! : 502
Join date : 2012-10-03
Age : 22
Location : Fort Bliss

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:17 am

interlude 11.h:
That escalated quickly. Not sure why Victoria would think Amy would do worse to her.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:31 am

Not really really related to 12.2 but that's the furthest point I've read and don't recall the chapter number this is relevent to:
Did Mannequin take Armsmaster's knife? I've been thinking of the cutting the planet in half suggestion Lisa made and I wonder if Jack's power would extend to the thing. I know Dinah says that's not how things happen, but if the device does count the death toll he could accumulate with it would be massive.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:42 am

I freaking love Atlas.
She's as supervillain as she could possibly be, now.
It's just... the mental image of it. If everything wasn't so serious I'd be surprised no one burst out laughing.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:47 am

Last wrote:
Not really really related to 12.2 but that's the furthest point I've read and don't recall the chapter number this is relevent to:
Did Mannequin take Armsmaster's knife? I've been thinking of the cutting the planet in half suggestion Lisa made and I wonder if Jack's power would extend to the thing. I know Dinah says that's not how things happen, but if the device does count the death toll he could accumulate with it would be massive.
Spoiler:
The sharpness isn't the knife, but the cloud of nanobots around it breaking everything they touch down. I'd bet the actual edge isn't even sharp. It's just leverage to seperate the things the nanobots bite into.

Jack's power wouldn't create more nanobots, so I don't think it would work.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:18 am

13.6 not finished with the chapter yet:
Just stopped to make a predicition. If this story has taught me anything about a Tinker it's this: You don't steal their devices. The reason given is that they more often then not contain a way to track them down.

Taylor just stole a tinker's devices and brought them home. Maybe that was part of her plan, but saying it was easier to track the nine then have the nine track them makes me think she hasn't taken it into account. This may be a grave error.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:29 am

Last wrote:
13.6 not finished with the chapter yet:
Just stopped to make a predicition. If this story has taught me anything about a Tinker it's this: You don't steal their devices. The reason given is that they more often then not contain a way to track them down.

Taylor just stole a tinker's devices and brought them home. Maybe that was part of her plan, but saying it was easier to track the nine then have the nine track them makes me think she hasn't taken it into account. This may be a grave error.
...I don't seem to remember what you are talking about.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:42 am

@Swicked:
I was referring to Bonesaw, she's a medical tinker and she mentioned putting implants into herself and the others when Imp stabbed her. So, I'm considering Shatterbird, Cherish and the rest of the slaughter house nine her devices.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:53 am

Last wrote:
@Swicked:
I was referring to Bonesaw, she's a medical tinker and she mentioned putting implants into herself and the others when Imp stabbed her. So, I'm considering Shatterbird, Cherish and the rest of the slaughter house nine her devices.
Spoiler:

While you have a point, I have to say I don't think Cherish is an issue. Bonesaw spent a good long time thinking up her punishment and considers herself an artist. I doubt what Cherish is now (likely just a brain in a little life support case) is anything more than exactly what Jack said she was. Namely: rewired to feel every negative emotion in the city for hundreds of years to come. Much more poetic that way, wouldn't you agree?

As for Shatterbird, she's one of the most dangerous mass murderers and wouldn't need more than a second or so freedom to nab a shard of glass and plant it in Regent's heart or brain. Whatever dangers Bonesaw might have engineered in on top of that are likely nothing compared to the danger Shatterbird poses on her own.
But yeah, who knows? Knowing what they did about Regent going into the fight, Bonesaw might have engineered a remote trigger that would allow her to flood any one of the nine's brains with chemicals to induce absurdly high levels of rage, since Cherish already identified strong emotions as being a counter to Regent's body control.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:35 pm

13.8:
Figured Brian was going to die. Taylor has grown, she I think is ready to take the reigns as leader. Skitter did suggest Panacea could help, but I'm not sure she'd be inclined to, even if she were I think this may be beyond her power.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 am

13.9:
Damn, that helpless feeling. Glad Parian's alive, it's good Brian's alive too. I think I'd be happier about that if I hadn't already written him off.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:04 am

13.10:
Kinda hoped the BrianXTaylor thing was done with. The best way I can put it is I liked that Taylor was shot down, sometimes that happens. It's real. Hope it's not a focus going forward.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:40 am

14.1:
I remember a while back that Taylor saw a light in one of the buildings devoured by crater lake. It would make sense if it was Siberian's real body. She could extend her invincibility to him so he wouldn't need to breathe until a place was set up, and I imagine he'd be safe from Shatterbird's power if he was under the water.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:11 am

14.2 Not done yet:
Had to pause. I don't understand why Skitter isn't making one of her bug people and having Trickster swap Amy with that. His power is obviously not one object for one object, or one person for one person, or one object for one person. Him and the rest of the group swapped places with multiple children. It just seems to be a matter of having equivalent mass.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:19 pm

The end of 16.6:
How

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Frost on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Interlude 26#1:

Fuck. Yes. One lingering complaint that's been drifting in my mind has been the general lack of unpowered people as truly powerful characters. Obstructors, beaurocrats, and vaguely-veteran belligerent polititians, yes, but no one that poses a real threat to even the parahumans that have vacuum powers or flying, glowing bubbles or what the fuck ever. 

Then comes Saint and his crew. A bit of captured, reverse-engineered tech and some skill and cleverness, and they're a mortal threat to the world's most OP AI and her legion of robotic super-Mecha. 

The ramifications of Dragon's "death" increasing the world's chances of survival are....intriguing. 

avatar
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Posts : 6617
Brohoof! : 502
Join date : 2012-10-03
Age : 22
Location : Fort Bliss

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Scienza on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:02 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
Interlude 26#1:

Fuck. Yes. One lingering complaint that's been drifting in my mind has been the general lack of unpowered people as truly powerful characters. Obstructors, beaurocrats, and vaguely-veteran belligerent polititians, yes, but no one that poses a real threat to even the parahumans that have vacuum powers or flying, glowing bubbles or what the fuck ever. 

Then comes Saint and his crew. A bit of captured, reverse-engineered tech and some skill and cleverness, and they're a mortal threat to the world's most OP AI and her legion of robotic super-Mecha. 

The ramifications of Dragon's "death" increasing the world's chances of survival are....intriguing. 

Spoiler:
I'd probably agree more with you if Saint wasn't an asshole and Dragon wasn't one of the most unquestionably good characters in the story. There's more to my disagreement, I just can't really get into it specifically without being all spoilery.

Although, I do agree that it is always refreshing to see badass "civilians" one-up some of the most powerful capes.
avatar
Scienza
Shipmistress

Posts : 1613
Brohoof! : 248
Join date : 2013-08-28

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Frost on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:06 am

On an unrelated note,

Spoiler:
SkitterxBitch make it happen
avatar
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Posts : 6617
Brohoof! : 502
Join date : 2012-10-03
Age : 22
Location : Fort Bliss

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:14 am

Mister Frost wrote:On an unrelated note,

Spoiler:
SkitterxBitch make it happen
Spoiler:
I swear, sometimes you just make me want to run over you with a truck.
Just... ugh. No.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum