Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Worm Discussion Thread

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Stringtheory on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:44 pm

swicked wrote:
stringtheory wrote:[If you can make it through the first five arcs then you should be good. I know, that first bit had me completely cringing as well.
Spoiler:
I have to wonder if we are referring to the same things. 2.05 now. It isn't so much the defeatist attitude and the refusal to either turn to the school's administration because that would make the torment worse nor stand up to the girls because they'd just turn to the administration, but the hope. "It'll all be fine because I'm gonna be a superhero! I am a superhero! Yay!"
Having been put through a lot of the same paces, her hope is jarring to me. Not that, I guess, she doesn't kinda have a reason to... if less one prior to her first outing.
Anyway, again, not really a strike against the story.

After being decimated by having Emma turn a dark period in her life and a compliment as to her emotional strength into an eviscerating twist of a dagger, I can hardly help but laugh at the fallout. Gezz, this girl suffers.
Spoiler:
I was talking about the in school bullying part. The hope part doesn't so much disappear as so much change.
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Interlude 12:
This Slaughterhouse Nine arc is quite perplexing. One part of me likes how intriguing these 'tests' are going to be, and how diverse a jolly bunch that the Nine are. On the other hand, Siberian, Bonesaw, and Shatterbird's attitudes and demeanors, combined with their powersets, are rather grating. Still, this series has proven thus far that no one--not the Protectorate leaders, not villains like Lung, Kaiser and Bakuda, not even Endbrigers are undefeatable. It's those overlooked ones--the ones that think and plan and use what seemingly little power they have to the utmost--that usually emerge, though battered and bloodied, triumphant. Skitter foremost, but also the other Undersiders, Coil, the Travellers (to a lesser extent) all demonstrate gladly. 

I look forward to the rest of this arc
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 502

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:49 pm

stringtheory wrote:
Spoiler:
I was talking about the in school bullying part. The hope part doesn't so much disappear as so much change.
Spoiler:
...oh. Okay, yeah, no. I have no problem with the bullying.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:35 pm

How long 'till you guys were hooked on this story?
I don't plan on stopping before I'm done, but I am really not hooked yet just passed the second and far less friendly run-in with Armsmaster.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:41 pm

swicked wrote:How long 'till you guys were hooked on this story?
I don't plan on stopping before I'm done, but I am really not hooked yet just passed the second and far less friendly run-in with Armsmaster.
Since I'm a character nut, I'd say the point where the Undersiders' personalities and group chemistry really started to be defined. However, if you mean the point where the story crossed the "holy shit" threshold and I became incapable of putting it down, I'd say around ~6-8.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:51 pm

Spoiler:
I'm figuring she stays with them and they stop being "bad guys" at some point, resulting in them being hated by both sides. One of them probably dies, too. Regent, I'd expect, since there seems to be nothing to him.
But that's just my general trope-sense :D

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:01 pm

For me, I had the hook in mouth with little passing references to the world at large--Scion, the Protectorate, the passing mentions of "The Endbringers", but I'd say the hook was really set when....well, I forget the exact arc number. Sci, help me out?

Spoiler:
Coil got involved, and Leviathan showed shortly thereafter
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
For me, I had the hook in mouth with little passing references to the world at large--Scion, the Protectorate, the passing mentions of "The Endbringers", but I'd say the hook was really set when....well, I forget the exact arc number. Sci, help me out?

Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, that was somewhere around the same point of ~6-8. This first thing started happening about halfway through 6 and the second thing happened in 8.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:14 pm

13.7:

Once again, the "heroes" are hanging back. They were less than useful dealing with the ABB, practically useless during the Eighty-Eight's rampage, outright violated the Endbringer truce (not to mention trying to send someone to the Birdcage after intentionally keeping her restrained and paralyzed for hours) and appear to be content to chill in their headquarters and occasionally "patrol" while villains carve Brockton Bay into neat little slices and both drug-crazed hordes and neo-Nazi fanatics wage war on the streets. Now, they outright deny going on the offensive against the Nine, even admitting that civilians would die, but fewer of them would.

I'm beginning to think that the heroes being attractive and having government backing and less "scary" powers is about all that separates the two groups, except that "villains" are, perhaps, more proactive. 
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:43 pm

Scienza wrote:
Mister Frost wrote:

Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, that was somewhere around the same point of ~6-8. This first thing started happening about halfway through 6 and the second thing happened in 8.
Spoiler:
I was hooked at the bank robbery and I was actually in disbelief when Leviathan showed up
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:15 pm

Interlude 13:

And my earlier assessment was completely correct. After being handed the Nine on a silver platter, more or less, they decide to use the opportunity--to use Bakuda's tech and kill the villains in the middle of a truce. 

It's been a while since we've seen Coil's power in action. I suspect it'll come into play here. 

Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:18 am

7.11:
What an asshole. Poor kid.

On a slightly unrelated note I'm surprised Rachel changed her mind. I noticed Angelica wasn't with her, so I'm assuming she's either dead or injured seriously enough she needs to stay home and recover.

Either way I can't believe she's not trying to get her revenge on either Coil for antagonizing Purity and Empire Eighty Eight or Taylor for insisting they fight her. And if she is well it seems off, Rachel doesn't give me the impression of someone who would play the long game.

I guess I'm supposed to take it as Rachel enjoying Taylor's company enough that Rachel realized having help around isn't so bad, but it feel a little out of character.

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:54 am

Interlude 3.X:
Just got up to interlude 3. That heist was fun Twilight Sparkle
One question, though... did Regent seriously just not do anything for the first half of that fight? Or was he being super subtle? Because the first thing it was obvious that he did was send Aegis flying into the ground. After that he made the techy Kid guy simply fall from his super-gun.
I mean, I guess he could have been helping the guys with lasers not hit Bitch that entire time she was fighting with Vista, but it still seems like he could have done so much more. After all, he did nothing when the Kid guy first set up the turbolaser and shot at the dogs and Bug.
Just curious why he was clean-up crew once half the goodies were down. If he'd tripped up ClockBlocker earlier, for example, they would have been able to lock him down in seconds as opposed to the minutes it took for him to finally get completely swarmed after he clotheslined himself to the ground. A couple seconds of Vista mismanaging her own powers and her reality-warping could have taken herself out, or at least allowed the dogs to close on her.
The guy is pretty useful and they just plain didn't seem to utilize him all that effectively.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:53 am

8.5:
Really? With everything going on they're going to arrest the injured villians who just like the heroes were risking life and limb for the city and it's people moments ago?

I understand making them a lower priority to heroes with injuries of equal severity, but damn. Assholes.

Edit: Eh, turns out it was just Armsmaster being an asshole. As usual.

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Sounds interesting. Is it on FiMFiction? Derpy Hooves
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 71

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:Sounds interesting. Is it on FiMFiction? Derpy Hooves
Nope, only humans, thus not on FiMfic, hence why this thread is in the general writing section rather than the fan fiction section (in case you didn't know).
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Aye, as stringtheory mentioned, it's a really awesome serial about a lonely adolescent girl that, through her unusual powers, meets an unlikely group of friends that will teach her the true meaning of friendship. It can be found here.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Scienza wrote:Aye, as stringtheory mentioned, it's a really awesome serial about a lonely adolescent girl that, through her unusual powers, meets an unlikely group of friends that will teach her the true meaning of friendship. It can be found here.
Zecora x Siberian new OTP.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:22 am

This... whatever it is called. Lusting, flirting, romance, shipping... not dealing with it well.
I like the story. Not as much as the rest of you, maybe, but this is supremely difficult for me to read, all the more for how earnest and well-written this crush is. Applejacks

Edit:
Actually... I think I'm empathizing with Taylor. That might be why this is so difficult, personal experience with crushes and distaste of romance aside. She's a pretty comfortable head to be in. This is nice story. Rarity

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:28 am

Mister Frost wrote:
Scienza wrote:Aye, as stringtheory mentioned, it's a really awesome serial about a lonely adolescent girl that, through her unusual powers, meets an unlikely group of friends that will teach her the true meaning of friendship. It can be found here.
Zecora x Siberian new OTP.
"You may live a life of crime,

But your body is sublime."

Last edited by Scienza on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:01 pm

stringtheory wrote:
Nope, only humans, thus not on FiMfic, hence why this thread is in the general writing section rather than the fan fiction section (in case you didn't know).
Nah, I saw it in the 'Latest Topics' and didn't check the header navigation. Spike

Scienza wrote:Aye, as stringtheory mentioned, it's a really awesome serial about a lonely adolescent girl that, through her unusual powers, meets an unlikely group of friends that will teach her the true meaning of friendship. It can be found here.
Might check it out when I have the time, I've got tons of stuff to read as it is. Twilight crazy
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 71

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:03 pm

9.2:
Well, with Shadow Stalker assholeness has infected the wards. Not to sympathize with the attempted rapists, but given Kid Win's response (and the way she's treated Taylor) I'm going to go with the assumption that she would have done the same thing if they had just stolen the lady's purse or something.

Also ParinxFlechette?

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Last wrote:
9.2:
Well, with Shadow Stalker assholeness has infected the wards. Not to sympathize with the attempted rapists, but given Kid Win's response (and the way she's treated Taylor) I'm going to go with the assumption that she would have done the same thing if they had just stolen the lady's purse or something.

Also ParinxFlechette?
Spoiler:
Aye and OTP.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:49 pm

I ship it.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:53 pm

I just realized, Bitch's power over dogs... it makes them bigger, stronger, by making a monstrous flesh-suit around them. When they return to normal, the gore just falls off and there's a completely intact, original dog that pops out of the middle of it. The flesh comes from nothing and then mostly disappears into nothing, too.

She makes them Titans.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Interlude... 6.X? Maybe?:
The one with Canary in it.
Does anyone else find it funny that the "humane" option to lock her up indefinitely with superpowered serial killers in the birdcage was selected over, I don't know, surgically rendering her mute?
Her powers are audible. They could have cut out her vocal cords, tongue and sealed her mouth shut.
I just imagine, if that was suggested to the judge, he would have recoiled, stated that was cruel and unusual, and stated that locking her up for the rest of her life with psychotics was the only reasonable solution to her mistake crime.

Just a bit of fridge logic. I'm a ways passed that part, now, but I just remembered it and found it funny.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:33 pm

swicked wrote:
Does anyone else find it funny that the "humane" option to lock her up indefinitely with superpowered serial killers in the birdcage was selected over, I don't know, surgically rendering her mute?
Her powers are audible. They could have cut out her vocal cords, tongue and sealed her mouth shut.
I just imagine, if that was suggested to the judge, he would have recoiled, stated that was cruel and unusual, and stated that locking her up for the rest of her life with psychotics was the only reasonable solution to her mistake crime.

Just a bit of fridge logic. I'm a ways passed that part, now, but I just remembered it and found it funny.
Spoiler:
Not really a foolproof solution since there are many superpowered healers like Panchea (or whatever her name is)
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:45 pm

stringtheory wrote:
swicked wrote:

Spoiler:
Not really a foolproof solution since there are many superpowered healers like Panchea (or whatever her name is)
Spoiler:
Which is exactly why all the healers should be locked up for life, too :)

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:01 am

Last wrote:
Spoiler:
Canary without a doubt had an unfair trial, but I'd have even more doubts that the man was lying. That is if my assumption on what happened was correct, her ex would have to be mentally ill to do something like that without someone else's influence. As terrible as Canary's lawer was I would hope he/she would investigate that.
Spoiler:
IIRC the first charge that was put against her, the one she was found "not guilty" of (after which she was found guilty of sexual assault and something else I don't recall), was something like first degree murder.
So yeah, I don't think the guy was lying. I don't think he even testified.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:50 am

@Swicked:
The first charge was attempted murder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content