Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Worm Discussion Thread

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by swicked on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:28 am

Last wrote:
Scienza wrote:
Last wrote:
Parian and Taylor 16.1 is the last chapter I read. Can't remember when this information is relevant:
If Taylor could get enough of her spider silk cloth she could really beef up Parian. I mean the cloth she uses for costumes would be usable for her constructs right?
Spoiler:
This sort of plays into the question of how much of Parian's power is for show/it's the only way she knows how and how much is actually her power. Because she does have the problem that she can't really stitch together cloth that's stab proof.

Spoiler:
Refresh my memory, it's been a while since I've seen Parian sew together anything, last I remember was leviathan and that's been a while. Isn't her needle ethereal or something? I don't think she used an actual needle or something large and improvised to get the job done. Dominion over cloth I'd imagine is dominion over cloth.
Spoiler:
No, she sews. The needle isn't anything special. She describes it in one chapter as that she has telekinesis but it fails if she tries to manipulate anything bigger than a needle.
Once she has a finished doll, her power fills it in a different process entirely, causing it to inflate and follow her will.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:45 am

Spoiler:
Ah okay. I know what happened I think because Taylor saw her sewing at a distance in the rain I imagined it was something special. Like I thought it was glowing.

Still I think there are some ways around this. Like maybe Taylor could glue normal cloth around the edges, the seams would be weaker, but not any weaker than Parian's usual contructs. Not perfect of course but probably better. Maybe not enough of an improvement to justify the work.

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:23 am

Mister Frost wrote:
Spoiler:
Concerning the future of capes--well, according to Glassting Umlat or whatever her fucking name was, the Entities' plan was to real their harvest in three hundred or so years anyway, so trigger events will certainly stop then. In the meantime, I suspect that the violent and harmful trigger events will slowly overtake the successful ones, and events in general will get rarer and less frequent until all of the shares have made landfall and just sort of hang around (perhaps being passed from parent to child, as they are now) until the deadline, when they vanish.
Spoiler:
Huh, now I wonder where they vanish to.
Neither entity is around to collect them anymore.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:57 am

So, it took me until 6.2 where it was explicitly mentioned to get that Brian was black.

I guess I didn't make the leap from "dark skinned" to there.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Harmony, Ltd: Racist, or just stupid? Stay tuned to find out!
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 502

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Dark-skinned doesn't mean "black" for me. You can be dark-skinned without being african-descended (indians, filipinos, australian aborigenes, mestizo, etc...).

Plus, I just didn't pay attention to his description past the "relatively tall and muscular guy".
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:So, it took me until 6.2 where it was explicitly mentioned to get that Brian was black.

I guess I didn't make the leap from "dark skinned" to there.
Heh, same thing happened to me...

In other news:
Interlude 27b:
HOLY SHIT, did not expect that plot twist...poor Eidolon, even after getting powers he had such little free will
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:57 pm

Stringtheory wrote:
Interlude 27b:
HOLY SHIT, did not expect that plot twist...poor Eidolon, even after getting powers he had such little free will
Spoiler:
There were no secrets. He wanted to be a hero. He wanted to be one more than anything, and would have sold his soul for it if asked. He all but did so, anyway.
I never felt bad for him. Not for a single moment.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:01 pm

swicked wrote:
Stringtheory wrote:
Interlude 27b:
Spoiler:
There were no secrets. He wanted to be a hero. He wanted to be one more than anything, and would have sold his soul for it if asked. He all but did so, anyway.
I never felt bad for him. Not for a single moment.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I don't really feel sorry for him, just a bit of pity. It seems that Worm goes heavy on ironic superpowers, best example stated in story: the Travelers
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:17 pm

28.4:
Ha ha ha, I can't believe recruiting the Endbringers actually worked. Not to mention just how little they are as a threat at this stage of the game.
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:07 am

Last wrote:
Parian and Taylor 16.1 is the last chapter I read. Can't remember when this information is relevant:
If Taylor could get enough of her spider silk cloth she could really beef up Parian. I mean the cloth she uses for costumes would be usable for her constructs right?
I guess it's a spoiler, but I just noticed she does this in 20.y.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:46 am

Arc 8:
So, finished reading that arc yesterday, and since then I can't stop thinking of some sort of crossover between Worm and Evangelion.

I mean, the Endbringers look like they're basically Angels so far.

And now I have this vision of some tinker building EVAs to fight the Enbringers.

Anyway, I was just putting that out there. You can return to your regularly scheduled speculations.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:08 pm

ending spoilers:
The only death I think I felt disappointed about was Clockblocker's.
Even Skitter bemoans, toward the end, not being able to talk to him. To get his perspective. His optimism, oddly-enough.
He also had his sarcasm and a disregard for authority that she recognized and praised during one of their few extended interactions in a van during Echidna.
I seriously liked him. I think Skitter and Clockblocker could have become great friends if they just had more time and proximity. Skitter had a lot of opposites and parallels in the story and he was one of them.

I don't think the story ever followed him. Yet he definitely had an interesting character arc going from immature and sarcastic to deeply cynical and angry to actually recovering a bit. I wish I could have seen what he would do after the end of the world. It felt like his story was cut short, but a lot of characters' were.

Anyone else have characters they hated to see die?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:19 pm

swicked wrote:
ending spoilers:
Even Skitter bemoans, toward the end, not being able to talk to him. To get his perspective. His optimism, oddly-enough.
He also had his sarcasm and a disregard for authority that she recognized and praised during one of their few extended interactions in a van during Echidna.
I seriously liked him. I think Skitter and Clockblocker could have become great friends if they just had more time and proximity. Skitter had a lot of opposites and parallels in the story and he was one of them.

I don't think the story ever followed him. Yet he definitely had an interesting character arc going from immature and sarcastic to deeply cynical and angry to actually recovering a bit. I wish I could have seen what he would do after the end of the world. It felt like his story was cut short, but a lot of characters' were.

Spoiler:
Good god, so many... I loved so many of the minor and background characters who showed up, and since a vast majority of them end up biting it before the end, I was always left staggered after "whammy" Arcs like Leviathan, Behemoth, and the finale. Probably the character I hated to see go the most was Regent. He never got to finish his undoubtedly brilliant one-liner either.

Also, who can forget Genoscythe the Eyeraper?
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:26 pm

Scienza wrote:
swicked wrote:
ending spoilers:

Spoiler:
Good god, so many... I loved so many of the minor and background characters who showed up, and since a vast majority of them end up biting it before the end, I was always left staggered after "whammy" Arcs like Leviathan, Behemoth, and the finale. Probably the character I hated to see go the most was Regent. He never got to finish his undoubtedly brilliant one-liner either.

Spoiler:
...me?
I have no idea who you are referring to.

I never really cared much for Regent. I was expecting to die for a long time, too.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Spoiler:
Ah, Genoscythe. He will be missed. Let us never forget his sacred creed: "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is next."

Really, though, most of the major characters that I ended up with any sort of connection to either survived, or died as was expected and accepted before the fact.

Something I think is interesting, though, is that while Doctor (not a doctor) Mother (not a mother) got ironically and therapeutically stranglecrushpwned and Contessa is a fugitive with Teacher while most other Cauldroneers are dead as balls, Number Man's in the wind, unaccounted for and probably just living in Columbia on some Earth acting as a financial adviser to the cartels or whatever. Whiling away his off-hours playing online tournaments so well he gets banned for hacking.

I just think it's interesting while everyone but Legend (who isn't doing so great anyway, despite his being the only real "good" guy on Cauldron's team) got ironic fates or simply death, Contessa is mostly fine and Number Man's off scott-free.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
Spoiler:

I just think it's interesting while everyone but Legend (who isn't doing so great anyway, despite his being the only real "good" guy on Cauldron's team) got ironic fates or simply death, Contessa is mostly fine and Number Man's off scott-free.
Spoiler:
Well, Contessa can't lose. All she has to do is ask herself how to have a safe, worry-free and awesome rest of her life and there you go. Number Man, while not as powerful, can determine the best odds to guarantee himself the same.

What happened to Legend, though? I don't recall.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:11 am

Spoiler:
He comes to lead the Wardens on, I believe, Earth G. No mention is made of his husband and child, and Scion's early attacks on the East coast (Legend's home being in New York) makes me inclined to believe they died.

Also, I was reminded a bit earlier of Eden's vision of the future. In it, Miss Militia (under the name Arsenal) appears alongside several other capes who I don't recall at the moment, with the collective name of 'The Wardens', as they gather to deal with a coming S-class threat. We were lead to believe that it was some alternate future that was radically changed by 'her' death, but I only realized on recent reflection that the "prophecy" was just aimed a bit further out in the future than initially suspected.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:16 am

swicked wrote:
Scienza wrote:
swicked wrote:
ending spoilers:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
...me?
I have no idea who you are referring to.

I never really cared much for Regent. I was expecting to die for a long time, too.
Spoiler:
He was a joke character the fanbase came up with to poke fun at some of the "edgier" capes like the Teeth and the Fallen. Wildbow confirmed that he died in the battle with Scion.

I'm honestly surprised that you didn't care for Regent. He seemed exactly like the kind of character you would get behind.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:16 am

Spoiler:

Huh, I didn't realize that was a prophesy. I thought it was the previous multiverse they'd descended on and screwed over. I thought they then came to worm's multiverse to start the cycle anew before the last one had even finished.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:27 am

Spoiler:
From my understanding of the Entities, they are constantly travelling through the multiverse. They're pan-dimensional and exist in virtually all realities simultaneously. When they come to a new world, they're literally travelling in space to a new planet. 

I'm inclined to think so because:

1.) They're described as travelling through the stars. While this may be figurative, all dimensional travel in the story is described more as a doorway than a voyage
2.) They're impossibly vast, vast enough to dwarf the planet before shattering into shards
3.) When the Shards were, more-or-less, the actual species, they overran the planet on every dimension again and again for eons. After they consumed themselves in war and began forming the vast Entities we're "familiar" with, they're described as casting out far and wide into the stars.
4.) They describe humans (Bipedal, two-sex, ect) as if, while they're familiar with such species, they're encountering them for the first time. Seeing a new world and new alien life. Doesn't jibe with the idea that they're just cruising from one planet, multiverse to multiverse, and dealing with humans again.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:30 am

Scienza wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm honestly surprised that you didn't care for Regent. He seemed exactly like the kind of character you would get behind.
Spoiler:
He was stagnant, lazy and unambitious.
I wanted him to change, be it for the better, worse or just different. To try a little more. Maybe if we could have seen a bonus chapter with him and Imp I would feel differently, but there was so little, which was made even less by how bottled up and shut down he was. He was a wall.
I liked him, at first, but the only time I saw him do something that really stood out as not something he'd typically do was in sacrificing himself for Imp. Which, while powerful, wasn't enough. I can't be sure he could even conceptualize the sacrifice. If he'd of survived, whether or not he'd look back and just say he felt so strongly he had to save her and he honestly had no idea why.
He was just disconnected and easily cut loose.

I connected with him, sure. Strongly. But he wasn't someone to admire (except maybe for that bit with Sophia) and he wasn't someone to be ashamed of or despise. He just existed and then he was gone.

Edit:
Spoiler:

Actually, there might be a more selfish reason I don't care for him. I really, really like reading emotion. Experiencing them vicariously and whatnot. Maybe because mine feel stunted and limited, too.
I just reread that chapter where he controls Sophia and I loved it almost as much as I did the first time. The thrill as he manipulates her and irrevocably damages her life and relationships. It is wonderful.
Not because it is "revenge" or anything. You can't really say she "deserved" that. What he does hurts her and the whole thing just feels good.

He just doesn't have that, though. That spark of emotion. I like him in theory, a guy who did terrible things and is doing less terrible things now, but it's all just existence. He doesn't do those bad things because he just doesn't do them anymore. He could get away with it if he wanted, sure. He later does, in his own territory, but devotes his powers toward quasi-good stuff. Hurting the "worse" people (that are really just those that in opposition to the Undersiders). Maybe I feel a sort of kinship with that feeling of doing things because you're supposed to. Not because people are expecting you to, but just kinda moving forward and not thinking about it because it doesn't actually make sense on a personal level, doing things that are moral and stuff. Feeling guilt if you don't. Not that I've ever been in a position to do half the stuff he has.
...I dunno. I'm rambling. I just didn't feel anything at his death.

Last edited by swicked on Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:33 am; edited 3 times in total

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:58 am

Spoiler:
I think I liked Jack Slash more than Regent.
He didn't change much as a person but he was creative. Dynamic. He bluffed, lied, was completely honest and forthcoming all at the right times and generally lived his life not only struggling to remain on top, but making it difficult for him to do so as well, keeping to ever-changing rules and objectives.
Then, when everything fell apart all at once, he managed to still end the world.
He was just a lot of fun. He reminded me of Batman's Joker, but better. Much better.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:15 pm

This song came up in my playlist several times.

Current progress: Arc 15:
It's basically my theme song for the fight scenes between the Undersiders and the S9. And I can't help but imagine a 2D, chibi-pixel game, with chibi Bonesaw, chibi Jack, chibi Skitter...

Just thing about it and tell me it isn't awesome.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Harmony Ltd. wrote:with chibi Bonesaw, chibi Jack, chibi Skitter...
hm?
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:42 pm

This is what I was thinking about, but more... pixelly, and jumpy.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:00 pm

Reviving this thread because it felt better than interrupting the discussion ongoing in the chat thread. Anyways, Wildbow just finished Pact, and has started on his third serial, Twig. 

Damn, this guy works fast.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:33 pm

I'll have to look into that when I've got the time/motivation
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Scienza wrote:Reviving this thread because it felt better than interrupting the discussion ongoing in the chat thread. Anyways, Wildbow just finished Pact, and has started on his third serial, Twig. 

Damn, this guy works fast.
What's it about?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:11 pm

I'm honestly not fully sure. I've only just started reading Pact since I ripped an ebook a few days ago, but from what I can tell, Twig is set in an alternate-history biopunk setting where life and death no longer have any practical meaning. I'm pretty damn excited, since I've been thoroughly enjoying Pact and this'll be the first of Wildbow's serials that I'll be reading as he writes it.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content