Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Worm Discussion Thread

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Worm Discussion Thread

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:43 am

15 donation interlude:
That sucks, arguably worse then what Bonesaw did to people. At least I would say it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:48 am

Mister Frost wrote:On an unrelated note,

Spoiler:
SkitterxBitch make it happen
Spoiler:
TaylorxLisa all the way.

Although, TaylorxBrian is actually pretty well done.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:08 pm

Scienza wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
TaylorxLisa all the way.

Although, TaylorxBrian is actually pretty well done.
Spoiler:
ImpxRegent's corpse

Also, BrianxThis "Cozen" Bitch, apparently still canon as of interlude 26a, is a crock of shit
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 502

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:20 pm

You don't like Regent?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Uh, yeah. Sure. Let's go with that.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:47 pm

Mister Frost wrote:Uh, yeah. Sure. Let's go with that.
*realizes*
Oh. Oh well, nevermind.

Probably should have stopped reading your posts in this thread a while ago, anyway.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:12 pm

Remember chapter tags, folks.

Last edited by Scienza on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Yeah, that's my bad. I annotated my actual chapter thoughts and speculation, then left the following in-spoiler wishful thinking and shipping-goggle speculation's tag implied. 

But yeah, you should just ignore my posts from now on. I contribute nothing to this discussion, anyway
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Interlude 26:
Jesus Christ. So many questions answered. 

Number Man was Harbinger. Fascinating trivia, but ultimately overshadowed. 

Fuckmothering Scion, dude. The Entity, at Jack's prodding, seems to have deigned to cut the cycle short and get some gratification from that primal brutality that lurks in the creatures its Shards have latched onto. 

And so it begins. 

But one question remains--if The Entity's counterpart is dead, what the fuck are the Endbringers?

Also, it appears that Taylor's true power lies in her plans and improvisations and schemes--a thinker Shard, as it were. The fact that it can utterly override lower life forms is a convenient side-effect

Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:21 pm

Scienza wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
TaylorxLisa all the way.

Spoiler:
Yes, this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:03 pm

Last wrote:
Scienza wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
TaylorxLisa all the way.

Spoiler:
Yes, this.
Por Que no Los dos?:

TaylorxLisaxRachel OTT

Actual spoilers as of 27.2:
On a serious note, Rachel's interactions toward Taylor in recent arcs, even after the time skip where one would think Rachel would be feeling betrayed (and, after not knowing what her feelings even were, simply hugged Taylor upon seeing her for the first time in almost two years) indicate a surprising closeness between the two, ever since the Coil situation. While it may be (and likely is) strictly platonic, I can't help but see a bit of a crush at least on Rachel's end, and possible (somewhat subconscious) reciprocation on Taylor's part. 

Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Mister Frost wrote:
Last wrote:
Scienza wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
TaylorxLisa all the way.

Spoiler:
Yes, this.
Por Que no Los dos?:

TaylorxLisaxRachel OTT

Actual spoilers as of 27.2:
On a serious note, Rachel's interactions toward Taylor in recent arcs, even after the time skip where one would think Rachel would be feeling betrayed (and, after not knowing what her feelings even were, simply hugged Taylor upon seeing her for the first time in almost two years) indicate a surprising closeness between the two, ever since the Coil situation. While it may be (and likely is) strictly platonic, I can't help but see a bit of a crush at least on Rachel's end, and possible (somewhat subconscious) reciprocation on Taylor's part. 

Puppy Love (Sorry, I had to):
It is more than a bit hard to read into Rachel's behavior. She does care very intensely about Taylor, it's just that her social behavior and emotions have been so fucked up by events, her power, and her own choices that it's very hard to interpret a lot of the intricacies that are there. This doesn't preclude any romantic feelings that she may have for Taylor, it just means that reading into anything beyond general feelings like intense attachment and fury is much more difficult.
Minor spoilers for approximately where Frost is at:
That said, Rachel has spent the time-skip years living and interacting with several relatively close companions, so she definitely has a better understanding of her emotions and human norms for those emotions, so the return hug might be romantically charged.

On an unrelated note,

Spoilers for where Frost is at:
I see you've entered the Scion arc... As always, be prepared for the massively escalating escalation and mind-blow that comes with going against a god.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:31 pm

27.3:

that little comfort/cuddle on the mountainside does not dampen the fires of shipping.

As far as things go, I'd look back to the reunion. It's pretty much stated that Rachel didn't know whether to hug Taylor or hit her until they met up. That sort of jumblefuck of emotions tends to imply a bit beyond friendship. 

Regardless, I'll have to stop a bit through 27.4. I have about a 150-click-movement tomorrow, so I need to restify.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:48 am

19.3:
Wow, when Taylor took Grue's hand after they'd been freed of Noelle and told him he needed to walk away, that he'd saved her, Aisha and himself, and now he needed to go home. To take Aisha home.
Would you believe my eyes got watery?  First time in this story. That was powerful.
That is really amazing; I usually don't have emotions like that.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:04 am

Okay, so, Bonesaw just shoved her spine down someone's throat and took control of his body. With him remaining alive, of course.
I adore this little girl. I really do.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 am

15.6:
Hey, more ParianXFlechette fuel.

Not sure what's going on with Flechette's bandages. Did Bonesaw not notice Flechette was a cape and give her the same plastic surgery treatment as the civillians instead of the usual cape monstrosity? Or is she wearing the costume because she wants the element of surprise? Make attackers think she's one of Parian's people.

I'm not sure exactly how much of what Ballistic is saying I believe. Trickster given everything I've seen seems to care about the rest of his group, He got very angry with Tattletale over the possibility of her getting Ballistic killed via Siberian. There's multiple instances of him interacting with Noelle and when Bonesaw's cloud descended over the city he saved Sundancer. Maybe that was just the most logical decision.

Of course there's always the possibility Trickster doesn't think Coil would invest the resources into helping Noelle without the other's powers. That Trickter's powers alone aren't very valuable and he only cares about cleaning up those two messes Coil's going to help them with.

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 am

Whatever chapter Echidna is in:
Okay, so, I remember a short discussion in this thread about the idea that all the heroes are assholes, but I can't seem to find it with almost every post being spoilered.
I just wanted to comment on that now that I'm around the end of Echidna.

I like the heroes. I think the vast majority of them are pretty cool. I've liked Weld and Clockblocker. Kid Win is pretty cool and Miss Militia is flat-out awesome. They may have their ineffectual kowtowing to their superiors, giving respect where not is deserved. They may have people who manage to get into those very positions of power over the best in their number (like Myriden, the guy who pretended to be a wizard and was super powerful, was pretty neat, even if his personality was never really developed). As a whole, though, put up against the majority of the villains in Brockton Bay like the Merchants or Empire Eighty Eight, they have a respectable level of integrity.
I mean, the Merchants had nothing respectable about them. Empire Eighty Eight had a lot of weak and broken individuals, like Purity, Night and Fog, who never seemed to hold to any sort of ideal or goal. The closest Purity came to that was whenever her daughter was in danger, after while she wasn't really known to do anything in particular.

We never get much more than snippets about the Wards, let alone the actual Protectorate, but I saw a lot of potential there during the fight with Echidna.
So I'm not sure I particularly like or dislike either group all that much, with the exception to the fact that the villains aren't expected to adore their leaders. We never saw any of them compliment coil the way the wards compliment the triumvirate, after all. Honestly, this idolization ties the heroes almost as much as the flat-out bureaucracy.
It's going to be interesting seeing how things shake-out in the future, though.

Last edited by swicked on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:33 am

swicked wrote:
Whatever chapter Echidna is in:
Okay, so, I remember a short discussion in this thread about the idea that all the heroes are assholes, but I can't seem to find it with almost every post being spoilered.
I just wanted to comment on that now that I'm around the end of Echidna.

I like the heroes. I think the vast majority of them are pretty cool. I've liked Weld and Clockblocker. Kid Win is pretty cool and Miss Militia is flat-out awesome. They may have their ineffectual kowtowing to their superiors, giving respect where not is deserved. They may have people who manage to get into those very positions of power over the best in their number (like Myriden, the guy who pretended to be a wizard and was super powerful, was pretty neat, even if his personality was never really developed). As a whole, though, put up against the majority of the villains in Brockton Bay like the Merchants or Empire Eighty Eight, they have a respectable level of integrity.
I mean, the Merchants had nothing respectable about them. Empire Eighty Eight had a lot of weak and broken individuals, like Purity, Night and Fog, who never seemed to hold to any sort of ideal or goal. The closest Purity came to that was whenever her daughter was in danger, after while she wasn't really known to do anything in particular.

We never get much more than snippets about the Wards, let alone the actual Protectorate, but I saw a lot of potential there during the fight with Echidna.
So I'm not sure I particularly like or dislike either group all that much, with the exception to the fact that the villains aren't expected to adore their leaders. We never saw any of them compliment coil the way the wards compliment the triumvirate, after all. Honestly, this idolization ties the heroes almost as much as the flat-out bureaucracy.
It's going to be interesting seeing how things shake-out in the future, though.
Spoiler tags please, in case someone else starts reading Worm.

Last edited by stringtheory on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:34 am

I was just adding it.
...kinda defeats the point, though, if you quote the thing.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:37 am

swicked wrote:I was just adding it.
...kinda defeats the point, though, if you quote the thing.
And modified in post.
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:57 pm

If you don't quite get Night and Fog....well, one of the interludes alludes to the two of them. Let it just be said that there's plenty of reason they act as they do.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:52 pm

Mister Frost wrote:If you don't quite get Night and Fog....well, one of the interludes alludes to the two of them. Let it just be said that there's plenty of reason they act as they do.
I don't remember which chapter it was:
I've read the interludes. How they are like robots, their interactions faked. How he just stares at a newspaper, not reading it, while she cooks too much food, every time.
They are messed up.

19.y:

“A woman of above average height… or a tall teenager,” he mumbled to himself. “North end, lives in the area. Personality… vicious, smart, tough, a little unhinged?”

The image clicked. A girl he’d had classes with, what felt like ages ago. Taylor Hebert.

...uh, what?
Taylor was smart, but sure, but not vicious. You could call her tough, the way she kept coming to school, but she never stood up for herself. She wasn't unhinged, she was a doormat.
After that, "tall teenager" is all the rest of the "clue" he needs? Even if he saw photos of Skitter, you couldn't really get an accurate comparison.
I mean, crap, that description would have worked just as easily for Emma, Sophie or the other girl. They were incredibly vicious, tough, smart and unhinged. Also tall teenagers. Skitter's costume covers her entire body, so you wouldn't even be able to tell her race.

This is absurd and it's pissing me off.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:01 pm

19.z:
This is hilarious. Emma states that she wanted Taylor to fight back, throw a punch, not be doormat. That's all she wanted. Some proof that Taylor was "a survivor".
Toward the beginning of the story, when Taylor was surrounded by girls calling her names, she bemoaned the fact that she wasn't a guy since then she could fight back. Throw a punch. She'd get the stuffing beat out of her, but then the whole thing would be over. But she's a girl so that wasn't an option.

If Emma's inner thoughts are to believed, the only thing that made her such a persistent bully to Taylor was the latter's insistence on adhering to gender roles.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:09 pm

swicked wrote:
19.z:
This is hilarious. Emma states that she wanted Taylor to fight back, throw a punch, not be doormat. That's all she wanted. Some proof that Taylor was "a survivor".
Toward the beginning of the story, when Taylor was surrounded by girls calling her names, she bemoaned the fact that she wasn't a guy since then she could fight back. Throw a punch. She'd get the stuffing beat out of her, but then the whole thing would be over. But she's a girl so that wasn't an option.

If Emma's inner thoughts are to believed, the only thing that made her such a persistent bully to Taylor was the latter's insistence on adhering to gender roles.
Spoiler:
Or, alternately, Emma's just a sociopath rationalizing her own sadistic behavior. 

I think Taylor's reluctance to lash out at them is more than just gender roles at work. Pre-Skitter Taylor largely saw herself as a good person, someone who fit within society's definitions of moral behavior, and who was opposed to Emma and Sophia as it is possible to be. She does have a pretty high degree of insecurity regarding her image as a woman (unsurprising, given the shit she's gotten) but I don't think that's as large of a part in her behavior as her insistence on being a "good person." It's why Worm's host of revenge fanfics are so satisfying and so horrifying.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Scienza wrote:
swicked wrote:
19.z:

Spoiler:
Or, alternately, Emma's just a sociopath rationalizing her own sadistic behavior. 

I think Taylor's reluctance to lash out at them is more than just gender roles at work. Pre-Skitter Taylor largely saw herself as a good person, someone who fit within society's definitions of moral behavior, and who was opposed to Emma and Sophia as it is possible to be. She does have a pretty high degree of insecurity regarding her image as a woman (unsurprising, given the shit she's gotten) but I don't think that's as large of a part in her behavior as her insistence on being a "good person." It's why Worm's host of revenge fanfics are so satisfying and so horrifying.
Spoiler:
"If Emma's inner thoughts are to believed"
I really don't believe them. You're absolutely right.

The one after it, 20-something:
Holy crap, that was cool. So many students working in unison. 98%+ she'd be taken into custody if they outed her at the school.
Makes Dinah look bad, huh?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:34 am

21.5:
I'm getting more comfortable with the Taylor-Brian relationship, but mostly because it's coming apart... if it really ever was all that together in the first place.
There's no flirting and barely any romantic or sexual tension between them. Just the occasional fuck after a short talk about how they're doing okay as "damaged individuals". Sure, they work with each other less now, but there's been no illusion to attempts for them to get together to watch a movie, spend time at the beach, or anything else.
They've basically just become their own two person support group with benefits, holding sessions of emotional dialogue leading quickly to sex at random intervals (well, two sessions, so far... so very infrequent random intervals).
Neither of them really consider this as a commitment, even. A possibility, at most, but an unlikely relationship to last very long. And I agree... it feels less and less like a relationship as it drags on.

I'm not particularly a traditionalist, being non-romantic and all. I don't put all that much significance on sex. It's certainly not the foundation of my relationship, not that I expect anyone else to consider things the same way I do.
That said, Taylor was 15 when she first met Brian (who's at least 18, but for the civil services woman to not be giving him a second look at having his own apartment and taking guardianship of his sister, I place him closer to 20), and I gotta wonder how many other physical relationships she's actually had even before Emma turned her into an untouchable. Maybe it's an aspect of being broken, but the last of attachment surprises me, particularly if he was her first or second. Even Brian, being fairly older and apparently very muscular and attractive (I mean, he got Sophie's attention), probably hasn't had more than a few.
In any case, my point is that I'm a lot more comfortable with romance when there's no romance in it. Pinkie Pie

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:00 pm

Alexandria has got to be the dumbest smart person in worm.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:03 pm

swicked wrote:Alexandria has got to be the dumbest smart person in worm.
>Leet and Über.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:52 pm

30.5:

Shit has gotten a bit real. Shit has gotten beyond real. Shit has gotten so fucking real that it is adrift in a sea of reality and has lost sight of the shore that is the memory of a time when shit wasn't real. Shit has retroactively gotten real. We're approaching an event horizon where shit loops back to not being real. 

I can't recall having read a story where shit ever got this real. 
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:19 pm

End:
That was....I.....

My emotions are a mess right now. 

I wish I could say that I knew all along that Taylor was alive, that I called Wildbow on his bluff. But the truth is that, yes, Wildbow does have the balls to do that, and I was only clinging to the faint hope of a miracle.

On one side of things, Taylor's patching things up with her dad and is slowly adapting to her no-powers, one-arm life. The Undersiders are still in business, Bitch and Imp have their own little surrogate families, that fucking whore Cozen doesn't have Grue and is denied a happy ending, and Grue is too dead-as-fuck to get between Taylor and Rachel. 

I'm torn between wanting some sort of more complete resolution, one where Taylor can see her friends again, can reunite with the gang even as she and Rachel inevitably declare their feelings for each other and commence a passionate night up in Rachel's little grotto (I have no idea when this ship started taking up the whole harbor, so to speak.) But, at the same time, I kind of want this delicate balance to remain. For this hard-fought peace Taylor has to last.

Basically, while the story has ended, it hasn't come to a close. The closure is there, just incomplete. There's a hole in me that the total end would have gone, and it's still empty. And that makes it all the more memorable. As haunting and yearning as it is peaceful and beautiful. 

Or maybe I could just read a fanfic where Taylor and Rachel fuck. That might do it. 

I've also discovered Worm D20, which is basically what happens when Worm meets Darths & Droids. It is amusing enough for the moment.
Frost

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down