Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

Page 22 of 24 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Fallout Equestria] Setting discussions

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Harmony wrote:Depends on how many staff they actually end up putting there. Considerring most SPP towers, as far as I know, worked as intended for over 200 years without being staffed, or even maintained; the increased wear & tear could maybe be handled simply by remotely monitoring the installation from, say, Las Pegasus, and sending technicians as needed.

Because otherwise permanently staffing the tower means, in practice, establishing a new Enclave settlement, with all the difficulties this would entail given the logistics situation of the Enclave (IIRC it's pretty much established in PH, unless I critically misunderstood it, that outside of Thunderhead and Neighvarro the standard of living in the Enclave is comparable to Stable 99 in term of "shit could come crashing down at any moment").
Hm, aye, those are some good points. This would be much earlier in the timeline, before things got nearly so bad, though... Do you think that that might be enough?

Harmony wrote:And even if the fact it's a military base would maybe put it at a higher priority when it comes for rations and hardware to be allocated to it, we have to remember that pretty much everything in the Enclave is "military" to one degree or another.
I'm not sure I'd go that far. We know they had a sizable population of at least largely-civilians. Or is your interpretation different?

Harmony wrote:Although I suppose for the Enclave people's consumption, the official word could be that maintaining the tower is indeed the primary purpose of such a settlement. Add-in regular "news" of "yet another breakdown of [whatever it end up being called] SPP tower" for believability of the cover.
You think that they'd hide the purpose of the base? I don't know. I think that they'd hide what went on there, certainly, but the Wonderbolts at least are celebrities. Using the rough weather and out-of-the-way location as excuses (Moojave towers are further away from the GPE's population centers, I think, but there's also a balance regarding actually getting to the place, response times, etc.; I think it's plausible), this could be known as the place where the best of the best go to train and then get sent out on all sorts of exciting, secret missions (not including pacifying Thunderhead, I imagine, mostly because Neighvarro wanted a big show there instead of a surgical strike... and I'm not sure how good the majority of the best of the GPE's best would actually be). Isn't the Enclave awesome? Don't you want to be awesome too, and maybe even be awesome enough to get to go to <whatever the name is>?
That sort of thing. The Alliance first doesn't really have any way to secretly spy on the GPE above the clouds and then, once the Vetribi are deployed, can be assumed to be able to spy on the GPE anywhere above the clouds. It seems to me that hiding the facility's existence wouldn't do much against the Alliance, particularly since, in the event of a war, they'd probably go for this tower anyway. And the GPE doesn't at that time have any other enemies who'd know or be able to do anything about it. Why go to all that trouble, then, when you can just hide what exactly goes on there and use the place's existence for morale and publicity? Oh, and especially if you have a few secondary special ops facilities that you do want to conceal the existence of; it'll be assumed that you have at least one, so let that one draw the attention and leave your enemies guessing about where others, if they even exist, might be.
Thoughts?

Harmony wrote:Well, if the PR was launching everything that it had in one last desperate assault as it launched the bombs, knowing full well it was literally an All-or-Nothing affair, I suppose they could have decided to affect all their remaining ships to the attack. Including ships that weren't intended for such a role in the first place.
Good point. Maybe even just charge a beach at speed, beach the boat as far from the shore as the charge will slide it, and blast a hole in the side of the hull for the troops to pour out of. Or fill the cargo hold with missiles, surface somewhere inconvenient for Equestria, open the door, and fire.

Harmony wrote:Pretty much. If one were inclined as much, one could even think of telling a whole story centered about the intrigues surrounding that kind of character and their environment.
Yeah. :)
I mean, you're actively and heavily disincentivising your agent from being loyal to you, exiling them from your country (which is the only place your currency is good), and then sending them to work with people who could quite plausibly give them a large pension, lots of luxuries to buy with it (many of them difficult or impossible for even the elite back home to get), a house on a sunny beach, and a harem (to hopefully breed more pegasi with). And if they prefer military discipline and asceticism but also want a better chance of being on the winning side, hey, the Alliance has that too. How do you keep someone loyal in that situation? Keeping a family member they love hostage, if they have one, would work... except that, if you somehow lose that family member and they find out, you're then pretty much certain to lose them. Implanted control device? You trust that you can put something in that Elusive's medical robots can't take out?
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:26 pm

And yes, you can pick someone who seems to be a fierce patriot, who's so proud of their country that the idea of them betraying it, even if they can't see it anymore, no matter how bad it gets and how much they're offered, is almost inconceivable.  Almost.  But you can never really be sure...
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:13 pm

Sorry for taking that long to reply, I was binge-watching a show.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. We know they had a sizable population of at least largely-civilians. Or is your interpretation different?
They do have a sizeable civilian population, yes. In my point of view, though, I tend to see the GPE as having, in a large measure (if not completely the same way), the same sort of "Military First" kind of political orientation that North Korea has. As far as I understand it, they still live under a siege mentality, constantly preparing for war. From this bred-culture of "we could be attacked at any moment", they justify the Enclave to still be under the command of a Military Junta. A junta which then work on to support its interests by allocating resources in priority to the military or dual-purpose programs / infrastructures.

Basically, it seems to me, from what little we've been able to observe, that politics in the GPE is mostly analyzed under the angle of "How might X decision allow us to gain an edge in any future conflict?", or more cynically "How can it help us stay in power?".

You think that they'd hide the purpose of the base? I don't know. I think that they'd hide what went on there, certainly, but the Wonderbolts at least are celebrities. Using the rough weather and out-of-the-way location as excuses (Moojave towers are further away from the GPE's population centers, I think, but there's also a balance regarding actually getting to the place, response times, etc.; I think it's plausible), this could be known as the place where the best of the best go to train and then get sent out on all sorts of exciting, secret missions (not including pacifying Thunderhead, I imagine, mostly because Neighvarro wanted a big show there instead of a surgical strike... and I'm not sure how good the majority of the best of the GPE's best would actually be). Isn't the Enclave awesome? Don't you want to be awesome too, and maybe even be awesome enough to get to go to <whatever the name is>?
That sort of thing. The Alliance first doesn't really have any way to secretly spy on the GPE above the clouds and then, once the Vetribi are deployed, can be assumed to be able to spy on the GPE anywhere above the clouds. It seems to me that hiding the facility's existence wouldn't do much against the Alliance, particularly since, in the event of a war, they'd probably go for this tower anyway. And the GPE doesn't at that time have any other enemies who'd know or be able to do anything about it. Why go to all that trouble, then, when you can just hide what exactly goes on there and use the place's existence for morale and publicity? Oh, and especially if you have a few secondary special ops facilities that you do want to conceal the existence of; it'll be assumed that you have at least one, so let that one draw the attention and leave your enemies guessing about where others, if they even exist, might be.
Thoughts?
Good points overall. It's a balancing act, I suppose.

Hmm... Now I'm wondering the it could be one of the few holdings the <new Enclave may have decided to keep for their strategic importance after the relocation to Freidrischorfen? This'd give them a foothold / enclave (lower case e) inside Miliozi territory, after having lost Las Pegasus.

And unless the Alliance decides to "storm the castle" and kick the remaining Enclave forces out of the tower... This could lead to interesting possibilities, I suppose?

Good point. Maybe even just charge a beach at speed, beach the boat as far from the shore as the charge will slide it, and blast a hole in the side of the hull for the troops to pour out of. Or fill the cargo hold with missiles, surface somewhere inconvenient for Equestria, open the door, and fire.
This'd mean the sub would have probably stayed beached for decades and then needed to be heavily repaired, if there's a huge gaping hole in its hull.

Plus, considering how starved for resources the Miliozi must have been in the early years, I could easily see them just cannibalizing / recycling the old sub for spare parts and raw materials in the early years.

BUT, at least maybe depending on what remained or how they recycled it, they could maybe have retained some form of expertise allowing them to rebuild a similar sub later on? I dunno.

What's your thoughts there?

Yeah. :)
I mean, you're actively and heavily disincentivising your agent from being loyal to you, exiling them from your country (which is the only place your currency is good), and then sending them to work with people who could quite plausibly give them a large pension, lots of luxuries to buy with it (many of them difficult or impossible for even the elite back home to get), a house on a sunny beach, and a harem (to hopefully breed more pegasi with). And if they prefer military discipline and asceticism but also want a better chance of being on the winning side, hey, the Alliance has that too. How do you keep someone loyal in that situation? Keeping a family member they love hostage, if they have one, would work... except that, if you somehow lose that family member and they find out, you're then pretty much certain to lose them. Implanted control device? You trust that you can put something in that Elusive's medical robots can't take out?
I was envisioning more of a diplomatic envoy serving as an unoficial diplomatic channel between the two powers, optionally doing some spying on the side as any good diplomat is going to do at one point or another; than a straight-up infiltrated double-agent. Mostly and probably because of the above expressed trust issues.

I believe the standard practice is such case is to send more than one people, put them in concurrence, and have them watch each others?
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Harmony wrote:Sorry for taking that long to reply, I was binge-watching a show.
No problem.

Harmony wrote:They do have a sizeable civilian population, yes. In my point of view, though, I tend to see the GPE as having, in a large measure (if not completely the same way), the same sort of "Military First" kind of political orientation that North Korea has. As far as I understand it, they still live under a siege mentality, constantly preparing for war. From this bred-culture of "we could be attacked at any moment", they justify the Enclave to still be under the command of a Military Junta. A junta which then work on to support its interests by allocating resources in priority to the military or dual-purpose programs / infrastructures.

Basically, it seems to me, from what little we've been able to observe, that politics in the GPE is mostly analyzed under the angle of "How might X decision allow us to gain an edge in any future conflict?", or more cynically "How can it help us stay in power?".
Ah, yes, that makes sense.

Harmony wrote:Hmm... Now I'm wondering the it could be one of the few holdings the <new Enclave may have decided to keep for their strategic importance after the relocation to Freidrischorfen? This'd give them a foothold / enclave (lower case e) inside Miliozi territory, after having lost Las Pegasus.
What's that stray "<"? Just an accidental keystroke?
Anyway, on the actual idea, how would they manage it?

Harmony wrote:And unless the Alliance decides to "storm the castle" and kick the remaining Enclave forces out of the tower... This could lead to interesting possibilities, I suppose?
Even if the Alliance didn't attack the place (Hm, though that could be a way for the tower to be "accidentally" disabled, getting more Miliozi territory out of the weather control of the possibly pro-NCR LittlePip...), would the base be self-sufficient? If not, the Alliance would just have to wait until the supplies ran out.

Harmony wrote:This'd mean the sub would have probably stayed beached for decades and then needed to be heavily repaired, if there's a huge gaping hole in its hull.

Plus, considering how starved for resources the Miliozi must have been in the early years, I could easily see them just cannibalizing / recycling the old sub for spare parts and raw materials in the early years.

BUT, at least maybe depending on what remained or how they recycled it, they could maybe have retained some form of expertise allowing them to rebuild a similar sub later on? I dunno.

What's your thoughts there?
Well, if the submarine comes into service after Profectum joins the Alliance, they could have built a new one to the old design. They could also have designed and built their own for this purpose, though, yes (and, if it only had to traverse the bay without being seen from the clouds, with no need for oceangoing capability, anti-antisubmarine systems, etc., it could be made more efficient at its purpose).

Harmony wrote:I was envisioning more of a diplomatic envoy serving as an unoficial diplomatic channel between the two powers, optionally doing some spying on the side as any good diplomat is going to do at one point or another; than a straight-up infiltrated double-agent. Mostly and probably because of the above expressed trust issues.
Oh, yeah, they'd be given jobs where their loyalty probably wouldn't be an issue. Though, of course, that potentially makes things even worse if it does. "They ruined your life just so you could be a glorified letter-carrier? Well, let's talk about what we could do for you instead..."

Harmony wrote:I believe the standard practice is such case is to send more than one people, put them in concurrence, and have them watch each others?
Well, two problems with that. First, it seems like Dashites don't usually operate in groups like that; it could draw attention. Second, though, that would just mean more people to be tempted.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:31 am

What's that stray "<"? Just an accidental keystroke?
Anyway, on the actual idea, how would they manage it?
Even if the Alliance didn't attack the place (Hm, though that could be a way for the tower to be "accidentally" disabled, getting more Miliozi territory out of the weather control of the possibly pro-NCR LittlePip...), would the base be self-sufficient? If not, the Alliance would just have to wait until the supplies ran out.
Accidental keystroke. The < key is just next to the shift key on my keyboard.

Anyway, I suppose that if they show that they aren't abandoning the tower, they might maybe negotiate a flight corridor allowing them to go to and from the tower over Alliance lands.

After all, the alternative would be pretty much a declaration of war one way of the other:

- If they don't get the authorization to fly over the Alliance land, it's a blocus, which is a pretty strong casus-belli.
- If the Alliance tries to dislodge the GPE from the tower, it's a straight-up declaration of war.

And I don't think the Alliance would be that eager to enter into a war against the Enclave, even at a time where it's weakened by the fact it just imploded, and lost most of its strength to the seceding Bitters and Volunteers: the inherent difficulties to waging a non-total war against the Enclave haven't disappeared overnight.

Plus, that'd expose the Alliance to Bitter attacks.

Well, two problems with that. First, it seems like Dashites don't usually operate in groups like that; it could draw attention. Second, though, that would just mean more people to be tempted.
Alternatively, Thunderhead has unicorns, yes? Why not put them to use? They wouldn't even need to be dashite-branded. If people start asking question, just say on a conspirationnal tone that their assignement is "classified", and if people insist, tell them they're on recon mission on the surface, without any more details - technically, it wouldn't be a lie.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Harmony wrote:Accidental keystroke. The < key is just next to the shift key on my keyboard.
Ah, thanks.

(I think that "blocus" might be something else in English. When I tried to look it up, I kept finding pages in French. The meaning is clear enough, though, I think.)

Hm. Pretty good points. And I suppose a short corridor could be granted over the mountains to the sea. That would even be something of an advantage to the base; anyone outside who wanted to attack them would either have to get permission to go through Miliozi territory or would be risking war with the Alliance.

Of course, that doesn't mean that the Alliance has to make them comfortable up there. The base can expect to be very closely watched, and I suspect that the Miliozi might just go ahead and plant a balefire bomb at the tower's base. Just in case.

Harmony wrote:Alternatively, Thunderhead has unicorns, yes? Why not put them to use? They wouldn't even need to be dashite-branded. If people start asking question, just say on a conspirationnal tone that their assignement is "classified", and if people insist, tell them they're on recon mission on the surface, without any more details - technically, it wouldn't be a lie.
Hm. Well, they'd not be able to fly up and down on their own, but then, most of the time, they probably wouldn't need to... Aye, this could work. Good idea!
Mind, then we bring the Neighvarro/Thunderhead split in, but presumably, this far in the past (however far that is), it's not nearly as bad.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:08 am

Hate to post a facebook link, but this may be relevant to the Alliance:

Solar powered drone flying at 60,000ft for 3 months at a time can provide data connectivity to large areas
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:53 pm

Harmony wrote:Hate to post a facebook link, but this may be relevant to the Alliance:
I've only read the text you put over the link there, sorry. From the sound of that, maybe, but if you're thinking of the ARCANN system, this (which I happened to find a mention of earlier today, in fact) is probably more relevant.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:52 pm

I was thinking it may be used during a conflict as it is more mobile and easy to control than the ARCANN balloons (which, if I read it right, are dependent on the air currents to move around?).

It can also be used as an alternative, or even simply to diversify the means available.

Not saying they SHOULD use it, but at least it may be possible there could exist incentives for them to not simply rely on only the ARCANN ballons.

For example, during a high tempo operation behind enemy lines, you may reach a point where balloons wouldn't have been able to keep up with your advance, and you'd be out of communication range. Which, if you're Elusive, might be a cause for concern.

With the planes you could be able to create an ad-hoc network just for the occasion, which wouldn't have to hover in place, and if you have the mass-budget for it, you could even put a camera on them to do a bit of recon at the same time. Although that could defeat the purpose of having an expendable data-relay asset...

And yeah, I know the vetribi are intended to fill that niche of high-altitude recon, but given the cost in term of resource of the things, it's good to have an alternative at hand if push come to shove...
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:31 pm

Harmony wrote:I was thinking it may be used during a conflict as it is more mobile and easy to control than the ARCANN balloons (which, if I read it right, are dependent on the air currents to move around?).
No, they have thrusters, as I recall, but yeah, drones would be useful for that sort of thing.

Harmony wrote:For example, during a high tempo operation behind enemy lines, you may reach a point where balloons wouldn't have been able to keep up with your advance, and you'd be out of communication range.
Oh, you'd prefer to not move the balloons at all, if you didn't have to.

Harmony wrote:Which, if you're Elusive, might be a cause for concern.
Aye. Though he doesn't need constant contact with all his nodes, remember, and ones designed to go into combat potentially out of communication range would be, well, designed for that even more than most nodes.

Harmony wrote:With the planes you could be able to create an ad-hoc network just for the occasion, which wouldn't have to hover in place, and if you have the mass-budget for it, you could even put a camera on them to do a bit of recon at the same time. Although that could defeat the purpose of having an expendable data-relay asset...
Right. I already have the Alliance using drones for various purposes.

Harmony wrote:And yeah, I know the vetribi are intended to fill that niche of high-altitude recon, but given the cost in term of resource of the things, it's good to have an alternative at hand if push come to shove...
Oh, certainly, and the drones could also do low-altitude recon much more efficiently. One could also use Vetribi to deploy drones, if the drones are stealthy enough for the Vetribus to get away before they activate (that means carrying less direct sensor equipment too, of course, but the payload pays were already modular for just this sort of reason).
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:58 pm

they have thrusters
Makes sense they would, yeah.

Oh, you'd prefer to not move the balloons at all, if you didn't have to.
Even more reasons why having an alternative to balloons could be useful. :B

Aye. Though he doesn't need constant contact with all his nodes, remember, and ones designed to go into combat potentially out of communication range would be, well, designed for that even more than most nodes.
Of course. Still, losing contact is probably not a desired outcome / event. Unless some really contrived operation was currently taking place...
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:56 pm

Harmony wrote:Even more reasons why having an alternative to balloons could be useful. :B
Indeed. :)

Harmony wrote:Of course. Still, losing contact is probably not a desired outcome / event. Unless some really contrived operation was currently taking place...
Oh yes. More and higher bandwidth connections are definitely preferred.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Random question...

I was thinking on the mechanics of Balefire bombs, and I was wondering... Are they 1 for 1 equivalents of nuclear devices in the mechanics of their effects on stuff as they detonate (with the only difference being that they are based on necromantically modified/activated dragon fire breathe instead of nuclear fission/fusion); or are there some slight differences on their effect?

The Manhettan & Fillydelphia craters are at the very least source from the original Foe pointing to the balefire bombs having a strong blast effect. But I was wondering if said blast effects might have been less important than for IRL nuclear devices of comparable size / class. This could explain how "Wartime Equestrian Enginering" might have been able to whistand the days of fire as well as it did.

I dunno. Just some random thoughts. Any opinion on the matter?
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

I'm not sure, sorry. They do seem to do significantly more damage outside the immediate blast and flash radii, but it's also hard to tell how much of a contribution the cloud ceiling made.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Interestingly, the balefire bombs didn't oblierate Manehattan and Fillydelphia off the face of the earth like Cloudsdale. Smaller target perhaps? There is the obvious presence of mass radiation, and major damage was done to every building in Manehattan save Tenpony Tower. I doubt the pegasi had already made the cloud cover by the time Manehattan was destroyed. I assume the attacks happened in close proximit: Cloudsdale > Splendid Valley > Manehattan > Fillydelphia (and Canterlot during all that).

I feel a little awkward talking about this considering today is the 70th anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing.
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:06 am

Well, regarding Cloudsdale, it might also be that it was just easier to blow away.

Evilgidgit wrote:I feel a little awkward talking about this considering today is the 70th anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing.
That... Huh. That is an odd coincidence.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:36 pm

So, here's another idea to turn over: synthetic custom-variety starmetal. From talking with Somber, it looks like it could be possible even in PH's universe... just with the little problem of the R&D causing insanity.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:47 am

Interesting. Can you develop this line of thought, please? Just so I'm sure what we're talking about exactly.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:50 am

Well, part of this depends on just how much is known about starmetal, which in large part probably depends on how much information about it comes out of Hoofington. Which we don't know yet.

Basically, though, starmetal can be a very, very useful material, and it can also come in different types (from different stars) for even more versatility. Problem is, natural starmetal is a: rare and b: kind of already owned with potentially very nasty side effects resulting.
So why not try to make starmetal of your own? You can make as much as your resources support (however much that is) and can have it have whatever properties and (absence of) side effects you can figure out how to give it. You can even produce multiple varieties. Imagine the "Use the Tokomare to rebuild the Wasteland" plan from PH without the tiny little complication of the eldritch horror.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:51 am

But how would you go about synthesizing it in practice? We know the EoS can turn soulstuff / moondust into starmetal through a controlled reaction (if I recall correctly?), but do we know the mechanism behind it?

And the particular properties of the various "brands" of starmetal... I had been left under the impression that they dependent on the "imprint" of the Soul of their parent star.

Wouldn't than mean that, somewhat like crystals, you need a natural "bud" to grow them over?
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:13 am

I don't currently know/have ideas to propose for the details, I'm afraid.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:52 am

Thought this might be an interesting general-purpose resource:

Map of damages done to Hiroshima by the nuclear bombing
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:00 am

It's a bit difficult to make out, but neat; thanks.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:53 am

Basically, we can see that the flatter / obstacle free a zone is, the further away the blast damage spread. Conversely, the hills seems to have acted as a barrier, reducing damages beyond them.

Of note, Hiroshima was an Airburst, as was Nagasaki, in order to maximise the destructive range of the device.

Now, let's compare to Manehatten. As far as we know, it was a single bomb, and a ground-level / shallow-underground detonation.

Manehatten, from my impression, was also choke full of skyscapers, acting as so many obstacles for a blastwave.

I'd hypothesize that most of the damage ghat happened to Manehatten was from:

1/ the high-magnitude eathquake provoked by the the (under)ground detonation.
2/ the fireball and subsequent firestorms all over the city
3/ the radiations

Given the size of the crater, and given how far the destruction spread from ground zero (reference - toppled over skyscrapers at least 8 kilometers away from Ground Zero, most likely 10 or more), that must have been one heck of a bomb. Like, if I had to come up with an H-bomb yield, I'd say 10 MT or above.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:20 pm

I just realized that Derpy is basically Harold pre-Fallout 3.

I mean:

Have seen lots of shit in their time, and have been dealt quite a difficult hand yet remain cheerful and optimistic, and continue to believe in the good nature of their species even after having witnessed first hand the worst they had to offer.

Influential and respected members of their community.

Always in the background to help the "actual heroes" fight the good fight.

Ghouls.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Oh, also

Used to hang with one of the setting's big bad before they became the Big Bad (Twilight IS also the Goddess).

Oh and also is basically the setting Universal Grandparent (at least that's how I see Harold, as a grampa)
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:32 am

...Actually, wow.  While looking for details for or against my memory of the bomb's location, I found this:
FoE wrote:The cold, dead bones of Manehattan loomed ahead, still at least a day off.  But even this far out, the balefire bomb’s destructive power had been felt.  The flames had not reached anywhere near here, but the massive shockwave had flattened trees and caved in homes.
It is followed by "At this distance, damage from the bomb couldn’t have been more than that of a strong windstorm, but it had weakened the other side of the home enough for the decaying effects of age to ravage it.", but still.

Trixie's cottage is about forty kilometers away.
According to this, a designed-yield (100 Mt) Tsar Bomba detonated at the optimal air blast airburst height of 15.1 kilometers has "At 5 psi overpressure, most residential buildings collapse, injuries are universal, fatalities are widespread." out to a distance of... 37.1 km.  Without any magically shielded buildings to get in the way.  Now, granted, as above, the damage to the area of Trixie's cottage appears to be significantly less than that, but still.  For a 100 Mt groundbust, the 5 psi air blast only goes out to around twenty-three klicks.  This was a very, very powerful bomb.  And small and inconspicuous enough to be snuck into a major metropolitan area; at the very least, it had to fit in a railcar, maybe even just a cargo wagon, and it might even have been pony-portable.

You know, the other day, it occurred to me to worry why there wasn't more raiding of Profectum's vaults for the Final Assault.  I thought that perhaps there was just so much in the vaults that the Final Assault couldn't make use of them all, but I wasn't sure where evidence that anything was used might be.  There's the possibility that the Pink Cloud system used against Canterlot was from there, but, um, yeah, with this bomb, I think we may have another example.

Ah, and on the thing I was actually looking for, the information doesn't seem very clear.  Could have been a ground level blast, then, a shallow underground (subway) detonation, or a low-altitude airburst (going up a skyscraper), then.

Oh, nice points about Ditzy.  :)

Last edited by O. Hinds on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:12 pm

In that case, it's truly yet another testament to Wartime Equestrian Engineering that so many of Manehatten's building's were simply toppled over or maybe broke in half; rather than being simply vaporized or turned into piles of so much rubble.

Which, when you think about it, leads to believe that the job of cleaning up all those ruins in order to reclaim all that real-estate in the Geeater Manehatten Metropolitan Area is going to be -really- labor-intensive. Might easily explain how even after over two decades of constant work, something like only under 20-30% of the overall metropolitan area has been cleaned up: I'd say mostly in the Tenpony borough (because money), Princesses' Height because of the needs of the expanding industries there, and the area between the Crater and the coast in Downtown Manehatten because that area was largely rubble and easier to clean. There wasn't much work to reclaim Riverside, as I tend to imagine it was less vertically built to begin with, and more some kind of suburban sprawl.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:29 pm

At least this gives a great justification to a line I had written about (current day) Manehatten's "thriving construction industry".

Given Manehatten is set to reclaim its old title of most important urban center on the Equestrian Peninsula (in term of economic acrivity, excluding Masozi), what with it being the only real harbor of the (Trottingham doesn't count there as it linked to the rest of the NCR through the sealane with Manehatten); and also the point of contact for most if not all exchanges between the Alliance and the NCR.

Basically I predict that in a few decades it'll be the most populated city in the NCR (currently it's the third, behind the Junction City / New Canterlot conurbation and New Appleloosa), as more and more industries and businesses move their activities there, or are even simply being created / launched locally. This due to a combination of cheaper access to foreign goods and resources from Zebrica, and an aggressive campaign on the part of Manehtten's masters (mostly the businesses behind the Twilight Society) to bring back the city to its former economic and cultural glory (and also, I suppose there may be some more or less subtle push on the part of the Elusive Society, what with A-Town existing and all).
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:34 pm

Harmony wrote:In that case, it's truly yet another testament to Wartime Equestrian Engineering that so many of Manehatten's building's were simply toppled over or maybe broke in half; rather than being simply vaporized or turned into piles of so much rubble.
Harmony wrote:Which, when you think about it, leads to believe that the job of cleaning up all those ruins in order to reclaim all that real-estate in the Geeater Manehatten Metropolitan Area is going to be -really- labor-intensive. Might easily explain how even after over two decades of constant work, something like only under 20-30% of the overall metropolitan area has been cleaned up
Harmony wrote:At least this gives a great justification to a line I had written about (current day) Manehatten's "thriving construction industry".
Aye.

Harmony wrote:Trottingham doesn't count there as it linked to the rest of the NCR through the sealane with Manehatten
Well, there might also be that undersea tunnel, but if that's still usable, it probably comes up in Northern League territory.

Who are the Elusive Society, again? Sorry for the memory fault.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down