Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

The True Story of Shadow Kicker (and other Winningverse speculation)

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The True Story of Shadow Kicker (and other Winningverse speculation)

Post by swicked on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:51 pm

Just read Rising Shadows 10.
What is going on?
It's one thing to consider Lance to be a serious potential threat with Celestia's gamble being too risky to go for.
It's another for Shadow to think to herself, while talking to Lance:
That the rebel cause was irreconcilably flawed, and yet Celestia herself was unfit for command?

Shadow has maintained, repeatedly, that Celestia is simply flawed. She makes mistakes. Ignoring the pegasi was one. Prosecuting their entire race was another. Not supporting their actions against the griffin reavers, as well.
Believing that Lance could, as an honorable pony, seek peace over war, particularly after (potentially) getting alicorn sense? THAT is what makes Shadow frame Celestia's entire rule, if only for a moment, as being unfit?

This is just plain screwy. Especially for memoirs. I have no idea what is going on, here.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:55 am

Oh, but Shadow needs to make it clear that she was being friendly with Lance here.  It's very important that there be no hint she bore the other mare any animosity and was even willing to work for peace with her.  Read on...
Oh, and she also doesn't want to present herself as a fanatic for Celestia. It's just that Celestia is the proper (and legally removed from office) ruler of Pegasopolis.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:18 am

Pardon, my quote was not sufficient:
A part of me could not help but wonder if ‘twas possible for both sides in this war to be in error. That the rebel cause was irreconcilably flawed, and yet Celestia herself was unfit for command?
Shadow very clearly wonders if Celestia is fit for command.
This is just something... weird. She is very pro Celestia. She knows Celestia has the best intentions for all ponies at heart. Which is true-enough, in a way... though Celestia's horribly hamfisted about it.
Of all the things to lose faith over, actions Celestia's actually taken, this is a weird thing to get stuck on. Though... maybe it's because Celestia hasn't had the opportunity for it to blow up in her face, and for her to then apologize for it?
I don't know. It's like the ton of the story's changed, somehow. Shadow's slightly less crazy.
Her back-and-forth with Gale regarding her father's a bit off, too.

I really don't understand Gale's whole "contacts" thing. She doesn't appear to get any extra funds with which to pay for information. How does she end up with loyal people in places?
My best guess is threats... or maybe favors of a violent nature (like getting that one book by slaying Sunbeam's contact at the beginning of the Midnight's Shadow story). It'd suit her. That or, like with Midnight, she relies on children. I'm not sure which would set the darker tone, here.

When it came to the burning of Manehattan, she smugly went off about how her network of contacts was superior to Sunbeam's outside of Canterlot.
How? No matter how focused Sunbeam might be on the unicorns, she has wealth, power and prestige. She can bribe people. She can plant loyalists. She can arrange all manner of things utilizing all of her magi, promoting or demoting almost on a whim to get anyone she wants anywhere she needs.

Gale's a nobody. Seriously. The pegasi barely deal in wealth only as much as they need to. What does she have to offer anybody?

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:27 am

But this is something Shadow thought.  And she can say whatever she likes about what she thinks with no one able to contradict.  She's made little inconsistencies before, remember.  If this bit seems a bit off...  Well, again.  Shadow is trying to seem reasonable.  She's trying to seem like peace is just around the corner, like she and Lance are getting along splendidly.  She's still sure that the rebels are wrong, of course, but maybe her side is too?  And this can be ended without further bloodshed?  I found it odd at the time too.  When I read the next chapter, though, the interlude, it made sense to me, and I think that Shadow is back on form in 11.

re Gale: Those are possibilities.  There are also possibly funds we don't see, proceeds from earlier endeavors (Gale running foreign organised crime?).

...Alternatively, her contacts don't stretch that far, and these unexplained contacts are a cover for the fact that Shadow and Sunbeam are sharing a lot more intelligence than they're letting on.  Though Gale must still have something, since I doubt the two sides of the conspiracy, even if they have reasonable trust for each other eventually, have such now.  For good reasons, since Sunbeam is a potential threat to Celestia and Shadow is a potential threat to a unified, streamlined, stronger Equestria.

edit:
I consider conversations at which Celestia was present to be the most reliable, events provided to us in at least ostensibly independent sources next, events in Shadows work that other reputable ponies were there for and might have contradicted after that, then things that were only between Shadow, Gale, and/or Sunbeam, and lastly, not guaranteed to contain any facts at all, things Shadow says she thought. In some places it's seemed to me like she's actively using her retroactively recorded thoughts to put different spins on her actions and words.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:38 am

Ah, right.
It's just that the things she thought often seemed the most extreme in nature when it came to her fanaticism for Celestia. It's just a bit off to see the narrative change so drastically.
But it's her prerogative to change the narrative as she feels she needs to in order to present the history she's decided to establish for these events.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:46 am

Right. The inconsistencies just seem to wash out.

And here, well... she is being fanatical for Celestia, in a way. Celestia likes Lance. Celestia tells Shadow to protect Lance and try and work with her. Shadow takes a stand for Celestia against Sunbeam, who says that Lance is too much of a threat and ought to be eliminated. Shadow listens to Lance and agrees with her on a lot of points. Isn't Shadow getting along splendidly with Lance and working towards a peaceful resolution of the war, just like Celestia wants, to the point where she wonders if Lance might have some good insight on Celestia herself?

I'm looking forward to your reaction to the next chapter. :)
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:08 am

O. Hinds wrote:
I'm looking forward to your reaction to the next chapter.  :)
Tilt

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:21 pm

I have the shivers. Shadow has destroyed everything masterfully.
Finally, this war is going to come to a close. There's no other way around it. The pegasi destroy themselves against the unicorns.
A surprise attack, close-quarters combat, an entire culture of masterfully-skilled warriors against a city of fat, rich nobles and a heavily-reduced supply of magi.
And the pegasi will lose, because master race :D

Yeah, Hinds, in hindsight... that was the PERFECT time to doubt Celestia. When there was absolutely no harm in it, because nothing could have worked out any differently after she purposely threw glue into Lance's mouth.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Forevermore on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:32 pm

swicked wrote:after she purposely threw glue into Lance's mouth.
I'm still of the opinion that Lance's death was totally arbitrary. It makes for a better narrative to have a plot important person die of random causes and completely screw over everyone's plans. It happens often enough in real life but you almost never see it in fiction.

swicked wrote:A surprise attack, close-quarters combat, an entire culture of masterfully-skilled warriors against a city of fat, rich nobles and a heavily-reduced supply of magi.
And the pegasi will lose, because master race
Going to have to disagree with you there. We've established that Canterlot is a killing ground. The pegasi don't seem to have any siege weapons or diversified regiments to bring through the tunnels (Sunbeam's legionnaires from the AU for example). They have different types of aerial infantry and basically nothing else. Bright's "tactics" here are fundamentally a mass attack against a fortified position and any general ever will tell you how suicidal that is. It's not surprising at all that they lose.

Forevermore
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:45 pm

Glue prepared by Sunbeam, no less, so who knows what special enchantments might have been on it. And Shadow was careful to leave it on for a little bit before freeing Lance. And it has to have been an accident! Because untrustworthy Sunbeam wasn't there, and trustworthy Shadow was getting along well with Lance. Yeah.
Like I said, 10 struck me as off too... and then I read the next one.

Also, I'm increasingly convinced that either Chengar Qordath is deliberately playing with us or that we're actually at least more or less correct, because... come on. That accident? Coming when and how it did, and on top of everything else?

Forevermore wrote:I'm still of the opinion that Lance's death was totally arbitrary. It makes for a better narrative to have a plot important person die of random causes and completely screw over everyone's plans. It happens often enough in real life but you almost never see it in fiction.
Well, sure, it could have happened that way. There are a lot of things in this story that could have just been bad luck, or minor inconsistencies in Shadow's memory, or transcription mistakes when the writing was being copied, or Shadow genuinely having done something dumb... etc. A lot of things like that. But while once may be an accident and twice coincidence, three times may very well be enemy action.

Forevermore wrote:Going to have to disagree with you there. We've established that Canterlot is a killing ground. The pegasi don't seem to have any siege weapons or diversified regiments to bring through the tunnels (Sunbeam's legionnaires from the AU for example). They have different types of aerial infantry and basically nothing else. Bright's "tactics" here are fundamentally a mass attack against a fortified position and any general ever will tell you how suicidal that is. It's not surprising at all that they lose.
Yep. Almost as if Bright is rushing in with emotionally compromised judgement. A predictable result of losing her daughter like that.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:38 pm

Forevermore wrote:
swicked wrote:after she purposely threw glue into Lance's mouth.
I'm still of the opinion that Lance's death was totally arbitrary. It makes for a better narrative to have a plot important person die of random causes and completely screw over everyone's plans. It happens often enough in real life but you almost never see it in fiction.
...she threw a ball of glue at Lance's face.
A few inches up and Shadow would have simply blinded her. I mean, seriously, good luck getting superglue out of her eyes.
Sure, there aren't many other places on the body Shadow could have thrown the glue to completely shut Lancer down. Hit her leg or body and it'd just hamper her for a bit, but that would have been enough for Shadow to get an advantage.
Plus, she really did just stand there and consider letting Lance suffocate. I think it's clear she placed the hit in such a way that she would have the option to just wait out Lance's death.
All after Sunbeam, apparently, gave Shadow the ball as a specifically nonlethal measure to subdue Lancer should a fight occur. Because Sunbeam wants Shadow alive.
Shadow's immediate use of the "nonlethal" measure in a clearly lethal manner makes me very skeptical about this being so random.

Forevermore wrote:
Going to have to disagree with you there. We've established that Canterlot is a killing ground. The pegasi don't seem to have any siege weapons or diversified regiments to bring through the tunnels (Sunbeam's legionnaires from the AU for example). They have different types of aerial infantry and basically nothing else. Bright's "tactics" here are fundamentally a mass attack against a fortified position and any general ever will tell you how suicidal that is. It's not surprising at all that they lose.
...the pegasi have seige weapons. Bad weather.
What's the shield Sunbeam's maintaining again? Something that incinerates or whatever?
I just figure the pegasi could ride down through the torrent of rain with lighting bolts. Their siege weapons are lighting itself. Heck, they could even just drop crap. Tar, oil, whatever. Not entire sure why they don't. It would be exhausting hauling all that stuff up there but they could use thunderforged sleds on the back of clouds or something.
In any case, I haven't read the next chapter yet... do they really use the tunnels?
The idea of the tunnels was to sneak into the shield from below. Bright wants a full frontal assault, sudden and without giving the unicorns a chance to respond.

Beyond that, I don't see Canterlot as particularly "fortified". I mean, they have a castle, but walls aren't going to stop the pegasi. Nor are doors. They can use any window as easily as any contemporary entrance, so unless all the windows in the castle have been barred, I don't see much issue assaulting the place after the pegasi get past the shield.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Forevermore on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:11 pm

swicked wrote:What's the shield Sunbeam's maintaining again? Something that incinerates or whatever?
I just figure the pegasi could ride down through the torrent of rain with lighting bolts. Their siege weapons are lighting itself. Heck, they could even just drop crap. Tar, oil, whatever. Not entire sure why they don't. It would be exhausting hauling all that stuff up there but they could use thunderforged sleds on the back of clouds or something.
Sunbeam's shield incinerates everything that isn't water or air. Anything solid trying to go through it would be dead. Tar and oil wouldn't work because of the rain. They'd need something to bring down the walls of Canterlot and hammer through the shield, exhausting the magical reserves that keep it sustained. My own strategy would be to use trebuchets to hammer the shield with rocks. We're on a mountain so I think it likely that they'd run out of magic before I ran out of rocks. At the same time, I'd use probing forces to harass tunnel defenders, probably use smoke to poison the defenders between strikes. I'm pretty sure the pegasi could create vacuums to suck the smoke out of the tunnels, clearing the way for forces to move in.

swicked wrote:do they really use the tunnels?
The idea of the tunnels was to sneak into the shield from below. Bright wants a full frontal assault, sudden and without giving the unicorns a chance to respond.
Spoiler:
Bright had her forces zerg rush the tunnels to predictable results. Their vanguard was massacred by Sunbeam and they're down an ephor. We haven't seen the full extent of their "strategy" but right now it's looking very bad for the rebels.

I'm wondering if this isn't a bit of fudging on Shadow's part. So far, the pegasi don't live up to their reputation and. . . kind of suck. Their only major victories were against a civilian population in a surprise attack (Manehatten) and the Canterlot field army was only crushed because of a third party (Nightmare cultists). They were humiliated in their first full confrontation with Loyalist forces, their supply lines destroyed and their commander captured. Their greatest warrior died without any significant victories (Copper Spark's duel was ultimately inconsequential seeing as the Loyalists' had already lost that battle). I'm just not seeing this "great warrior race" image they're trying to project.

If Shadow's deliberately making herself look more skilled than her opponents it makes more sense. Downplay the rebels' intelligence and ability so her seizing power looks more justified.

Forevermore
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:39 am

Rising Shadows 12 Comments:
Interesting thoughts about Gale's loyalty there. I'm not sure what their hidden meanings or intentions, if any, might be, though.

Hm. Looks like Shadow made a bad prediction about Bright here. Being attacked by her does have benefits, but it's so risky that I doubt Shadow did this deliberately. Willing to die for Celestia she may be, but she has too much work left unfinished to do that now. She probably assumed that Bright, even in her current circumstances, would value honor too highly to just attack under a flag of truce like that.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:43 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
Rising Shadows 12 Comments:
Interesting thoughts about Gale's loyalty there.  I'm not sure what their hidden meanings or intentions, if any, might be, though.

Hm.  Looks like Shadow made a bad prediction about Bright here.  Being attacked by her does have benefits, but it's so risky that I doubt Shadow did this deliberately.  Willing to die for Celestia she may be, but she has too much work left unfinished to do that now.  She probably assumed that Bright, even in her current circumstances, would value honor too highly to just attack under a flag of truce like that.
Spoiler:
...Shadow poisoned her warrior daughter. After "saving" her from assassination during another truce. It was a very bad, pointless death for the war hero.
In Bright's mind, there is no dishonor when dealing with the dishonorable. No treachery against the treacherous. This is nothing less than poetic justice.

I suspect she only wishes she could have denied Shadow having her blood spilled by an enemy weapon rather than by suffering under a doctor's knife of incurable poison, but there was no time for it and she decided it was better to be decisive.

Gosh, it's sickening knowing she survives this. I want her to die SO bad.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Spoiler:
Welp, with that little manuever, any chances of peace negatioations are effectively gone. Smooth work, everypony.

Also, someone pointed out something important in the comments:

One of my wings twitched in a feeble effort to bring my blades to bear, but Bright contemptuously swatted the attack aside with a single armored foreleg. The wound I left behind was barely e’en noticeable, and I had no strength left to make another attempt.

Bright Charger, would eventually fall in battle after suffering a “minor” injury to the back of her right foreleg. Charger and her fellow soldiers dismissed the wound as nothing but a flesh wound until she collapsed after the battle’s end. When the medics removed her armor, they realized that the seemingly insignificant wound had in fact severed a major artery. Charger died of her wounds shortly afterwards.
Sooo...bye-bye, Bright.

Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten a satisfactory reaction from Shadow hearing of Lance's death. Y'know, on account of getting ganked by a lance to the chest and all that...

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:00 pm

RoboRed wrote:
Spoiler:
Welp, with that little manuever, any chances of peace negatioations are effectively gone. Smooth work, everypony.

Also, someone pointed out something important in the comments:

One of my wings twitched in a feeble effort to bring my blades to bear, but Bright contemptuously swatted the attack aside with a single armored foreleg. The wound I left behind was barely e’en noticeable, and I had no strength left to make another attempt.

Bright Charger, would eventually fall in battle after suffering a “minor” injury to the back of her right foreleg. Charger and her fellow soldiers dismissed the wound as nothing but a flesh wound until she collapsed after the battle’s end. When the medics removed her armor, they realized that the seemingly insignificant wound had in fact severed a major artery. Charger died of her wounds shortly afterwards.
Sooo...bye-bye, Bright.

Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten a satisfactory reaction from Shadow hearing of Lance's death. Y'know, on account of getting ganked by a lance to the chest and all that...

Spoiler:
Like daughter, like mother ^_^

Here's hoping Gale finally offs her "love interest". I'd hate for Bright to die without the knowledge her line has ended, too :D

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Forevermore on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:09 pm

swicked wrote:Here's hoping Gale finally offs her "love interest".
Considering he's the author of several interludes, I don't think it's likely. I think he's going to be the one who leads the exiled pegasi to Freeport (fairly certain it exists at this point, just not anywhere near it's modern level).

swicked wrote:I'd hate for Bright to die without the knowledge her line has ended, too :D
Doesn't Bright have like twelve children? We've got Lance, Dusk, that doctor whose name escapes me, and somebody's mentioned at least a couple more in-story.

Forevermore
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Huh. I didn't remember more than the two.
Oh well, then.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu on Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:44 pm

You know what I'd like?
I want Shadow to inadvertenly do something horrible. Something so bad that even her obsession with Celestia wouldn't let her rationalize it away. Something that would break her.

Spoiler:

Yes, SO:TL is my answer to everything.
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Sex: Female
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:47 pm

swicked wrote:
Spoiler:
...Shadow poisoned her warrior daughter. After "saving" her from assassination during another truce. It was a very bad, pointless death for the war hero.
In Bright's mind, there is no dishonor when dealing with the dishonorable. No treachery against the treacherous. This is nothing less than poetic justice.

I suspect she only wishes she could have denied Shadow having her blood spilled by an enemy weapon rather than by suffering under a doctor's knife of incurable poison, but there was no time for it and she decided it was better to be decisive.

Gosh, it's sickening knowing she survives this. I want her to die SO bad.
Spoiler:
Hm, true. Possibly Shadow was partially expecting this if Bright showed up but was hoping that she wouldn't, then was mentally cursing all the way over after failing to think of a way out. Possibly she got overconfident and forgot to think of this at all. Whatever happened, it would have been difficult for her to back out; a Shadow who didn't know about Lance's death would see no reason not to approach under a flag of truce, and even letting herself be convinced by Sunbeam or the like would be problematic.

...The main bright side for Shadow is that, while this is a very high risk gamble, it could have a very high payoff. Shadow's been careful to maintain plausible deniability for the assassination of Lance. Bright very clearly made a deliberate attack under a flag of truce. That's quite bad for trust between the two factions and rebel morale. If Shadow survives, she'll have a significantly easier time with the war. Even if she doesn't, she can hope that Gale and Sunbeam will do the "right" things, and that she'll be made into a martyr besides. Risky, but, if she couldn't think of anything better... And even with everything you said above, there was still a reasonable chance that Bright wouldn't attack, I think. Would she care more about immediate revenge, or would she want to prove herself the better, more honorable pony, support her side in the war, crush the loyalists, and then execute Shadow?

And yes, the war probably would have gone very differently if that had happened...

Valikdu wrote:You know what I'd like?
I want Shadow to inadvertenly do something horrible. Something so bad that even her obsession with Celestia wouldn't let her rationalize it away. Something that would break her.

Spoiler:

Yes, SO:TL is my answer to everything.
Well, based on what we've heard of Shadow from and in the future, it looks like either that doesn't happen or she's very good at hiding it.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:49 pm

By the way:
“And perhaps some additional hazard pay,” Sunbeam added with a smirk. “Patriotism is all well and good, but I find gold to be much more reliable.” She considered that for a moment, then shrugged. “Though this war is going to be rather painful for the royal treasury, so perhaps we should try appealing to their sense of duty first.”
Did anyone else find this a weird statement for Sunbeam to make? That she puts her faith in purchased loyalty?
Seems to me like relying on bribes over preying on obligation would be a good way for Gale to have managed to purchase some of Sunbeam's spies right out from under her.
...but I might be reading into this wrong. Suffice it to say, if they don't want these miners to abandon their charges at the first sign of trouble, they definitely need to be incentivized. I just don't know that gold, by itself, would be enough. "You can't take it with you."

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:02 am

...Hm, yes, now that you mention it, interesting. Though... Looking at it, she doesn't say that she finds gold more powerful. That's implied, certainly, but what she actually says is "reliable". In other words, her view might be something like "A pony motivated by patriotism might fight to the death... or they might not. Even ponies who think normally get it wrong sometimes; just look the majority of Clan Kicker betraying Pegasopolis. Gold, on the other hoof, might not buy as much loyalty, but it's easier to predict just when that loyalty will fail and to plan accordingly. And if the prediction is wrong, it's more likely to be overbuilt rather than underbuilt; ponies are much more likely to try and make themselves seem more loyal than they really are than to try and make themselves seem more greedy than they really are."
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:11 am

O. Hinds wrote:...Hm, yes, now that you mention it, interesting.  Though...  Looking at it, she doesn't say that she finds gold more powerful.  That's implied, certainly, but what she actually says is "reliable".  In other words, her view might be something like "A pony motivated by patriotism might fight to the death... or they might not.  Even ponies who think normally get it wrong sometimes; just look the majority of Clan Kicker betraying Pegasopolis.  Gold, on the other hoof, might not buy as much loyalty, but it's easier to predict just when that loyalty will fail and to plan accordingly.  And if the prediction is wrong, it's more likely to be overbuilt rather than underbuilt; ponies are much more likely to try and make themselves seem more loyal than they really are than to try and make themselves seem more greedy than they really are."
There's definitely a law of diminishing returns when it comes to bribes.
Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but I would think it's less about the gold, more about the incentive.
The same amount of gold won't buy as much loyalty from a greedy pony as it would a pony in deep debt about to end up at the bottom of a lake if he doesn't come up with the cash to pay off his loansharks. So long as the alternative to potential death is certain, painful death... then yeah, you have loyalty.
But if a pony is willing to put his life on the line for loyalty alone? I would think that'd make a more valuable resource, barring extenuating circumstances like the head of their clan going all batty and switching sides, sneaking off into the night instead of adhering to any of her vows of office.
But yeah, you can't really account for something like that. I don't even see gold making any difference there.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:50 am

Eh, it is a bit odd, yes, but I think it does make some sense.
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:14 am

I suppose.

Why didn't Celestia say what Shadow had done? When she detected the attack she seemed to understand what had lead to it to some degree. At least, in regards to it being Shadow's fault.
I've been trying to puzzle out why she didn't either say nothing or tell all.
It seems all the more relevant now.

I'd rather not just chalk this up to drama.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:10 pm

Well, Shadow was the only one there, and even if it was just an accident, it was still something Shadow did. And Celestia would not be wanting to believe that it wasn't an accident. Because that would mean that a: she can be fooled to such a great degree and b: Shadow is a much worse and different pony than she thought. Hm. Actually, now that I think of it, this might be part of the reason why Shadow went right up to Lance. She might have been able to weasel out of it, yes, and Celestia was probably just referring to the "accident"... but Celestia cannot be allowed to even harbor significant suspicions. And this would also help explain why Shadow didn't have a better plan for dealing with Lance: she and Sunbeam had difficulty predicting the Princess Sense. This making sense, you think?
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:02 pm

New chapter of Freeport Venture out.

In other news: Strumming pisses me off.

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Forevermore on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:48 pm

Strumming is easily the best part of this story. I love her whole "I'm not taking any of your teenage shit" attitude towards Sunset. Considering pretty much everyone else is trying to coddle Sunset or manipulate her, it's nice to see someone be completely straight up about how much they dislike her. In many ways, Strumming's the only truly honest pony we've got. She makes no secret of how much she hates being assigned to tag Sunset and how little she cares about the self-inflicted angst.

Puzzle worries me. He's clearly operating on a different spectrum of morality (I don't think he's evil, just not good). Once he's broken out I could easily see him trying to kill or otherwise dispose of Strumming for revenge. Which will inevitably lead to the EIS striking back and triggering an escalating war of espionage between the Council and Equestria. That's going to be all kinds of hell.

On the other hand, he may be professionally minded enough to let bygones be bygones. Strumming is merely an agent doing her job and however much he may dislike her personally she's not worth the potential risks.

Sunset had some decent development this chapter. It was interesting to see her come so close to a breakthrough in how much she's screwed up and needs to change only to slam the epiphany shut out of pride. Pretty much confirming she's going to suffer a whole lot more before she finally realizes that the vast majority of her issues stem from her own actions.

Forevermore
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:00 am

Comments on Freeport Venture 9:
"My eyes went wide as something clicked into place for me."
Assuming I'm right, it clicked for me a few paragraphs ago. :)

"But I can."
Yep. This ought to be good! :D
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:01 pm

rising shadows:
...Well, shit. Did not see that coming. I expected dead Bright Charger, not Dark Alicorn Puppet Bright Charger.

Damn, everything went really dark in a hurry within the span of 7k words.

------------------
Aonee wrote:

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top