Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Go down

S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:21 pm

Episode Link
Welp, that was a nice one. Even though Rarity never was the most favourite of Ponies for me I'm starting to warm up to her more (fanfics may have helped a bit too). Spike 
Spoiler:

Was I the only one who imagined Spike literally as a deer?

Guess this is the first proper canon look at (and into) Manehattan. They should make more of Outside-of-Ponyville-or-Canterlot episodes. Equestria is a big place and should be explored. Speaking of which, where is Manehattan set in FO:E, I don't quite remember anymore.

The song(s) weren't bad, but they'd already done better, though RD's remark (and then reaction to Rarity) about Ponies randomly bursting into song was great. Trollestia 
The carrot dogs were a nice touch, I didn't even know it was a real thing. You learn something new everyday.

I also wonder what those ranbow flashes were all over the place. The Elements never did that before and they're not even directly connected to them anymore.

Wet Mane Rarity was looking great once again. Big mac 


Last edited by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Posts : 944
Brohoof! : 71
Join date : 2012-04-17
Age : 25

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by CamoBadger on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:01 pm

Spoiler:

Really? Lampshading the singing?

Really? Being nice to people in a big city makes them nice to you?
OH thank god they changed that stupidity.
Also, Coco is already great.

And yes, hotels love it when you use their rugs, curtains and sheets to make dresses. I'm sure this won't end badly for them though, because that's not how this show works.

Rarity putting her work and getting attention over her friends? We've never seen that before.
...
Wait...

Oh, and since when did we pay for stuff with gems instead of the fucking money they've used in every other episode?

At least they got fashion shows right: Full of shit nobody will ever actually wear, ever.

Really? Lampshading "hurr, you're honest", and making it sound horrible?

Did...did RD just say "Aight"? God. Damnit. Now I can't say it or everyone will say "hurr durr stop using maymay".

Coco=waifu nao.
AND WE'RE GOING TO SEE HER AGA-
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Not a bad episode. Not the best either, but I actually did enjoy some of it. Song was decent, and Coco made it good for me. Don't know why, but I liked her as a character.

------------------
My stories: Cold as Ice   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains FiMFic Page   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains Hub Page
Thanks if you read any of them.

If you have a complaint of any kind, a question or a suggestion, please PM me about it and I will respond as quickly as I can.  


Last wrote:((Camo just likes to kill happiness.))

Well spank my flank and call me sexy!

Until next time, hugs and kisses.


 ~Miguel
avatar
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 13890
Brohoof! : 588
Join date : 2011-11-29

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:09 pm

In this episode, there's a pony whose cutie mark is literally Grumpy Cat

The Grumpy Cat



Though I won't finish watching it tonight. Not in the mood, sadly.

Maybe tomorrow, though I doubt it.
avatar
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Posts : 8732
Brohoof! : 543
Join date : 2012-05-17
Age : 28
Location : Fancee

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by CamoBadger on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:19 pm

Oh, I forgot to bring up the Fedoras.
Fedoras fucking everywhere.
Desire to kill self rises.

Why did Manehattan in AJ's flashback from season1 have everyone dressing like 90's preppies, then suddenly in this one it's the fucking 20's? Seriously now?

------------------
My stories: Cold as Ice   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains FiMFic Page   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains Hub Page
Thanks if you read any of them.

If you have a complaint of any kind, a question or a suggestion, please PM me about it and I will respond as quickly as I can.  


Last wrote:((Camo just likes to kill happiness.))

Well spank my flank and call me sexy!

Until next time, hugs and kisses.


 ~Miguel
avatar
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 13890
Brohoof! : 588
Join date : 2011-11-29

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Guarddogjr on Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:34 pm


Thought this was funny
avatar
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Posts : 18109
Brohoof! : 134
Join date : 2012-05-09
Age : 24
Location : Clarksville, Tenesse

Character List:
Name: Azure Sunrise
Sex: female
Species: Hippogryph

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Downloaded Skill on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:00 pm

I really enjoyed this episode. Kind of surprised by this since Dave Polsky wrote it and his episodes tend to be a bit out there and divisive.

Its nice to have a slice of life episode again. I'm not a fan of these recent action heavy ones. It sidelines the characters, imo the shows greatest strength, and really strains the suspension of disbelief. Bats was fun and all but it had plot holes you could drive a truck through and inconsistent, questionable logic. This episode had nitpicks mostly.

This is one of the few episodes that I feel doesn't have pacing problems, the characters were handled well, the song was okay, and the conflict was realistic, relate-able, and doesn't come around because of mind blowing stupidity. Rarity was duped and it really put her element to the test. I could really relate to the struggle and the dark reprise of the song actually got a tear out of me. This episode had legitimate emotional impact which really impressed me. I also thought the humor was pretty well done and I liked the meta humor.

The new characters were nice. Suri is a scumbag, but a realistic one in my opinion. Coco Pommel is just the cutest god damn thing ever (I just consulted Derpibooru and let me just say people are going cuckoo for coco). The cameo of Fleur and Fancy on the boat was nice as well.

All in all I'd say this is a strong candidate for best episode of the season so far.
avatar
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Posts : 324
Brohoof! : 81
Join date : 2012-08-19

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by RoboRed on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:09 pm

https://derpicdn.net/img/view/2014/1/4/515185__safe_solo_vector_hug_caption_bronybait_spoiler-colon-s04e08_rarity+takes+manehattan_impact+font_highres.png

That is all.

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

avatar
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 13859
Brohoof! : 717
Join date : 2012-05-09
Age : 29
Location : Nebraska

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:38 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
Spoiler:

Really? Being nice to people in a big city makes them nice to you?
OH thank god they changed that stupidity.
Also, Coco is already great.

And yes, hotels love it when you use their rugs, curtains and sheets to make dresses. I'm sure this won't end badly for them though, because that's not how this show works.

Rarity putting her work and getting attention over her friends? We've never seen that before.
...
Wait...

Oh, and since when did we pay for stuff with gems instead of the fucking money they've used in every other episode?

At least they got fashion shows right: Full of shit nobody will ever actually wear, ever.

Really? Lampshading "hurr, you're honest", and making it sound horrible?

Did...did RD just say "Aight"? God. Damnit. Now I can't say it or everyone will say "hurr durr stop using maymay".

Coco=waifu nao.
AND WE'RE GOING TO SEE HER AGA-
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
Not a bad episode. Not the best either, but I actually did enjoy some of it. Song was decent, and Coco made it good for me. Don't know why, but I liked her as a character.
To be fair, Rarity never talked about "big cities" in general, just Manehattan in particular. It is kinda naive/extremely optimistic approach, but Ponies on average seem nicer than we do.
Also, they needed to set up some ground for Rarity's generosity backfiring. It wouldn't have much of an impact, let alone make sense for her to do so, if all the city ponies were acting like assholes from the beginning. It's all about plot. Twilight Sparkle 

The thing with Rarity using the hotel's materials to make the dresses bothered me a bit too, but I decided to take it as one of the things solved off-screen. Rarity was handing out gems the entire episode, I'm sure she could pay for it.

As for why she was handing out gems instead of bits... Dunno, she didn't have any on her? Besides, the gems were probably more valuable than the same amount of mass in bits, so she was being double generous by giving out more and in a handy package at that. Spike 

Coco was "kinda" cute, though I can already see the RariCoco fics flowing from the depths of FiMFiction and I'm not sure if I should be happy or terrified.


Last edited by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Posts : 944
Brohoof! : 71
Join date : 2012-04-17
Age : 25

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Orm on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:41 pm

I liked it.
I thought it was much better compared to last weeks episode.

I thought the song was okay.

But I am starting to get somewhat annoyed by them doing those things at the end of every episode.
You know, zooming in close to something and fading away from it.
Those things better have a point in the end, or I'm just going to assume they don't have any better ideas on how to cut to credits.



Oh, almost forgot to say that I thought Coco (Cocoa? However you spell it.) was nice.
I thought she was a cute character that didn't feel too forced.
avatar
Orm
Alicorn

Posts : 4425
Brohoof! : 51
Join date : 2012-02-22
Age : 25
Location : Canada

Character List:
Name: Searchlight
Sex: Male
Species: Ghoul Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Orm wrote:But I am starting to get somewhat annoyed by them doing those things at the end of every episode.
You know, zooming in close to something and fading away from it.
Those things better have a point in the end, or I'm just going to assume they don't have any better ideas on how to cut to credits.
Haven't finished watching the episode yet, but

remember that box they need some kind of keys to open? Maybe that's related?

I don't know what you're talking about, honestly, just pointing out a possible answer.
avatar
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Posts : 8732
Brohoof! : 543
Join date : 2012-05-17
Age : 28
Location : Fancee

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Orm wrote:I liked it.
I thought it was much better compared to last weeks episode.

I thought the song was okay.

But I am starting to get somewhat annoyed by them doing those things at the end of every episode.
You know, zooming in close to something and fading away from it.
Those things better have a point in the end, or I'm just going to assume they don't have any better ideas on how to cut to credits.
Weeeeell, have you seen this?


What people were suggesting is that this could actually be one of the figurative keys for the chest, meaning they'd be items Mane 6 would obtain as part of doing something related to their Element of Harmony (or something like that).

If that theory is correct, Dash could get something rainbow colored too in the 10th episode (As if there wasn't enough rainbow already).

That goes for this episode at least. I think someone already said that the eyes at the end of Castlemania were of no real significance. As for Fluttershy's fangs, I certainly hope it wasn't just a tease and it's going to have some effect in the coming episodes.
avatar
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Posts : 944
Brohoof! : 71
Join date : 2012-04-17
Age : 25

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by CamoBadger on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:What people were suggesting is that this could actually be one of the figurative keys for the chest, meaning they'd be items Mane 6 would obtain as part of doing something related to their Element of Harmony (or something like that).

If that theory is correct, Dash could get something rainbow colored too in the 10th episode (As if there wasn't enough rainbow already).

That goes for this episode at least. I think someone already said that the eyes at the end of Castlemania were of no real significance. As for Fluttershy's fangs, I certainly hope it wasn't just a tease and it's going to have some effect in the coming episodes.
On that thread.
Does anyone else find it incredibly creepy that Rarity has a spool of thread the same color as all her friends?
I TAKE YOUR HAIR WHILE YOU SLEEP

------------------
My stories: Cold as Ice   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains FiMFic Page   |   Fallout Equestria: All That Remains Hub Page
Thanks if you read any of them.

If you have a complaint of any kind, a question or a suggestion, please PM me about it and I will respond as quickly as I can.  


Last wrote:((Camo just likes to kill happiness.))

Well spank my flank and call me sexy!

Until next time, hugs and kisses.


 ~Miguel
avatar
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 13890
Brohoof! : 588
Join date : 2011-11-29

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Orm on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:06 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:
Weeeeell, have you seen this?


What people were suggesting is that this could actually be one of the figurative keys for the chest, meaning they'd be items Mane 6 would obtain as part of doing something related to their Element of Harmony (or something like that).

If that theory is correct, Dash could get something rainbow colored too in the 10th episode (As if there wasn't enough rainbow already).

That goes for this episode at least. I think someone already said that the eyes at the end of Castlemania were of no real significance. As for Fluttershy's fangs, I certainly hope it wasn't just a tease and it's going to have some effect in the coming episodes.

That's another thing.
I'm also getting annoyed by the amount of hype they're trying to build up for whatever it is they have planned.

They shouldn't be trying to get people excited for something that's another 16-ish episodes away.
Don't build expectations so high that you can't meet them.


As for the items, I can see that making sense.
But if they end every episode like that, it looses any significance it might have about making one thing look more important then the other.


And I'm going to be honest.
I hope the fangs aren't brought up again, it seems so necessary.


Last edited by Orm on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Orm
Alicorn

Posts : 4425
Brohoof! : 51
Join date : 2012-02-22
Age : 25
Location : Canada

Character List:
Name: Searchlight
Sex: Male
Species: Ghoul Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Harmony Ltd. on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:06 pm

CamoBadger wrote:On that thread.
Does anyone else find it incredibly creepy that Rarity has a spool of thread the same color as all her friends?
I TAKE YOUR HAIR WHILE YOU SLEEP
*a thousand brony monkeys furiously typing MLP fanfiction*
avatar
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Posts : 8732
Brohoof! : 543
Join date : 2012-05-17
Age : 28
Location : Fancee

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:11 pm

CamoBadger wrote:On that thread.
Does anyone else find it incredibly creepy that Rarity has a spool of thread the same color as all her friends?
I TAKE YOUR HAIR WHILE YOU SLEEP
I took it as her simply having the right colored threads on hoof in case she needs to design something for them. Spontaneous inspiration or something.
Also keep in mind that the threads were colored as their coat not their manes, that'd be a chore to make a thread out of. If they were made out of their hair there would be two rainbow threads on the shelf. Twilight crazy


Last edited by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Posts : 944
Brohoof! : 71
Join date : 2012-04-17
Age : 25

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Orm wrote:They shouldn't be trying to get people excited for something that's another 16-ish episodes away.
Don't build expectations so high that you can't meet them.
That's a lesson for the entire entertainment industry, especially video games. Compared to them the hype of season 4 finale is still fine and dandy. Spike 

And I'm going to be honest.
I hope the fangs aren't brought up again, it seems so necessary.
Aww, but shy would be cute with fangs. Big mac
avatar
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Posts : 944
Brohoof! : 71
Join date : 2012-04-17
Age : 25

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Orm on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:23 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:
Orm wrote:They shouldn't be trying to get people excited for something that's another 16-ish episodes away.
Don't build expectations so high that you can't meet them.
That's a lesson for the entire entertainment industry, especially video games. Compared to them the hype of season 4 finale is still fine and dandy. Spike 

And I'm going to be honest.
I hope the fangs aren't brought up again, it seems so necessary.
Aww, but shy would be cute with fangs. Big mac
I understand that compared to everything else, this hype is nothing.
But they practically do this after every episode. It's always "Hope you guys saw this. ;)", or "I wonder what importance this could have? ;)", and then it just shows up on screen for 10 seconds.
It's just bugging me a bit, we can figure stuff out by ourselves. I doubt 7-10 year olds watching MLP are going to twitter to get a hint as to what some thread might mean. They know who is seeing this when they post it.


And they already try too hard to make Fluttershy cute and sympathetic.
They don't need to dedicate 2-3 more half hours to it.
They realize they have other characters right?
I'm still waiting for an AJ episode where she doesn't get outshined by someone else.
*Looks at Derpy and Flutterbat.*
avatar
Orm
Alicorn

Posts : 4425
Brohoof! : 51
Join date : 2012-02-22
Age : 25
Location : Canada

Character List:
Name: Searchlight
Sex: Male
Species: Ghoul Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Formis_Fluttergod on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:44 am

Orm wrote:I understand that compared to everything else, this hype is nothing.
But they practically do this after every episode. It's always "Hope you guys saw this. ;)", or "I wonder what importance this could have? ;)", and then it just shows up on screen for 10 seconds.
It's just bugging me a bit, we can figure stuff out by ourselves. I doubt 7-10 year olds watching MLP are going to twitter to get a hint as to what some thread might mean. They know who is seeing this when they post it.
Well, in 5 episodes.
In Castemania it was simply kind of open ending, Scooby Doo and such had a lot of those. The same could probably be said about Bats! and Shy's fangs. Daring Don't meant to simply properly show the book cover.
In Power Ponies the comic disappearing was a curious thing, but I don't think that is in any way tied to the main plotline.
And finally in Rarity Take Manehattan we have a mysterious, rainbow colored spool of thread. Given how much significance rainbow colored things have in FiM, I'd say that one has the biggest potential of actually being important.

Take it as a riddle. Gotta figure out which of things shown at the end of episodes might bear any significance. Spike 

And they already try too hard to make Fluttershy cute and sympathetic.
They don't need to dedicate 2-3 more half hours to it.
They realize they have other characters right?
I'm still waiting for an AJ episode where she doesn't get outshined by someone else.
*Looks at Derpy and Flutterbat.*
The thing about AJ is sadly true and I'd like it finally sorted out in some amazing AJ episode as well.
However, the thing with Fluttershy is that any character development she'd got in the previous episodes basically evaporated into thin air after the episode ended. Could be that most of the character development would alter her personality in a major way so they discarded it (shouldn't have done the character development in the first place then) rather than to deal with it. I'd like at least for something to stick, even if it's as insignificant as a pair of fangs (though the insignificance is kinda questionable and depending on future episodes).
avatar
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Posts : 944
Brohoof! : 71
Join date : 2012-04-17
Age : 25

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:25 pm

While looking for Derpy, I found an alicorn stallion near the beginning, according to the mlp wikia, one Rising Star (Unicorn). No sign of her, although there was with similar coloration far off in the background near the beginning.
avatar
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Posts : 1698
Brohoof! : 56
Join date : 2012-05-14

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by swicked on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:30 pm

I love how Rarity gets small creatures to carry all her stuff for her. Sometimes it's Sweetie Bell, sometimes it's Spike.
More than anything, though, that no one in Equestria minds. I know Manehattan is supposed to be full of jerks, but none of the mane six had any problems with Spike carrying all Rarity's luggage.
I don't recall them carrying any luggage, so he might have been carrying it for them, too.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Moodyman90 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Knowing Spike, he volunteered to carry it all and waved off anyone who offered to help. Dragon code non-sense and the fact he's still crushing on Rarity.

And other than Rarity, the others don't usually care around a bunch of stuff to warrant luggage. And I'm convinced Rarity was literally pulling those gems out of her ass since I don't know where on her person she would be carrying them.
avatar
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Posts : 8257
Brohoof! : 163
Join date : 2012-05-09
Age : 28

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by swicked on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:Knowing Spike, he volunteered to carry it all and waved off anyone who offered to help. Dragon code non-sense and the fact he's still crushing on Rarity.

And other than Rarity, the others don't usually care around a bunch of stuff to warrant luggage. And I'm convinced Rarity was literally pulling those gems out of her ass since I don't know where on her person she would be carrying them.
Hammerspace.
Ponies have been pulling stuff out of nowhere for the entire series, after all. That wasn't new.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Posts : 6602
Brohoof! : 960
Join date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum