Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

+4
Downloaded Skill
Harmony Ltd.
CamoBadger
Formis_Fluttergod
8 posters

Go down

S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan Empty S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:21 pm

Episode Link
Welp, that was a nice one. Even though Rarity never was the most favourite of Ponies for me I'm starting to warm up to her more (fanfics may have helped a bit too). Spike 
Spoiler:

Last edited by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Brohoof! : 71

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan Empty Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by CamoBadger Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:01 pm

Spoiler:
Not a bad episode. Not the best either, but I actually did enjoy some of it. Song was decent, and Coco made it good for me. Don't know why, but I liked her as a character.
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 588

Back to top Go down

S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan Empty Re: S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:09 pm

In this episode, there's a pony whose cutie mark is literally Grumpy Cat

The Grumpy Cat

Though I won't finish watching it tonight. Not in the mood, sadly.

Maybe tomorrow, though I doubt it.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 543

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:19 pm

Oh, I forgot to bring up the Fedoras.
Fedoras fucking everywhere.
Desire to kill self rises.

Why did Manehattan in AJ's flashback from season1 have everyone dressing like 90's preppies, then suddenly in this one it's the fucking 20's? Seriously now?
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:34 pm

Thought this was funny

Back to top Go down

Post by Downloaded Skill Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:00 pm

I really enjoyed this episode. Kind of surprised by this since Dave Polsky wrote it and his episodes tend to be a bit out there and divisive.

Its nice to have a slice of life episode again. I'm not a fan of these recent action heavy ones. It sidelines the characters, imo the shows greatest strength, and really strains the suspension of disbelief. Bats was fun and all but it had plot holes you could drive a truck through and inconsistent, questionable logic. This episode had nitpicks mostly.

This is one of the few episodes that I feel doesn't have pacing problems, the characters were handled well, the song was okay, and the conflict was realistic, relate-able, and doesn't come around because of mind blowing stupidity. Rarity was duped and it really put her element to the test. I could really relate to the struggle and the dark reprise of the song actually got a tear out of me. This episode had legitimate emotional impact which really impressed me. I also thought the humor was pretty well done and I liked the meta humor.

The new characters were nice. Suri is a scumbag, but a realistic one in my opinion. Coco Pommel is just the cutest god damn thing ever (I just consulted Derpibooru and let me just say people are going cuckoo for coco). The cameo of Fleur and Fancy on the boat was nice as well.

All in all I'd say this is a strong candidate for best episode of the season so far.
Downloaded Skill
Downloaded Skill
Unicorn

Brohoof! : 81

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:09 pm

https://derpicdn.net/img/view/2014/1/4/515185__safe_solo_vector_hug_caption_bronybait_spoiler-colon-s04e08_rarity+takes+manehattan_impact+font_highres.png

That is all.
RoboRed
RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:38 pm

CamoBadger wrote:
Spoiler:
Not a bad episode. Not the best either, but I actually did enjoy some of it. Song was decent, and Coco made it good for me. Don't know why, but I liked her as a character.
To be fair, Rarity never talked about "big cities" in general, just Manehattan in particular. It is kinda naive/extremely optimistic approach, but Ponies on average seem nicer than we do.
Also, they needed to set up some ground for Rarity's generosity backfiring. It wouldn't have much of an impact, let alone make sense for her to do so, if all the city ponies were acting like assholes from the beginning. It's all about plot. Twilight Sparkle 

The thing with Rarity using the hotel's materials to make the dresses bothered me a bit too, but I decided to take it as one of the things solved off-screen. Rarity was handing out gems the entire episode, I'm sure she could pay for it.

As for why she was handing out gems instead of bits... Dunno, she didn't have any on her? Besides, the gems were probably more valuable than the same amount of mass in bits, so she was being double generous by giving out more and in a handy package at that. Spike 

Coco was "kinda" cute, though I can already see the RariCoco fics flowing from the depths of FiMFiction and I'm not sure if I should be happy or terrified.

Last edited by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Orm Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:41 pm

I liked it.
I thought it was much better compared to last weeks episode.

I thought the song was okay.

But I am starting to get somewhat annoyed by them doing those things at the end of every episode.
You know, zooming in close to something and fading away from it.
Those things better have a point in the end, or I'm just going to assume they don't have any better ideas on how to cut to credits.

Oh, almost forgot to say that I thought Coco (Cocoa? However you spell it.) was nice.
I thought she was a cute character that didn't feel too forced.
Orm
Orm
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 51

Character List:
Name: Searchlight
Sex: Male
Species: Ghoul Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

Orm wrote:But I am starting to get somewhat annoyed by them doing those things at the end of every episode.
Those things better have a point in the end, or I'm just going to assume they don't have any better ideas on how to cut to credits.
Haven't finished watching the episode yet, but

remember that box they need some kind of keys to open? Maybe that's related?

I don't know what you're talking about, honestly, just pointing out a possible answer.
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Orm wrote:I liked it.
I thought it was much better compared to last weeks episode.

I thought the song was okay.

But I am starting to get somewhat annoyed by them doing those things at the end of every episode.
Weeeeell, have you seen this?
S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan Medium

What people were suggesting is that this could actually be one of the figurative keys for the chest, meaning they'd be items Mane 6 would obtain as part of doing something related to their Element of Harmony (or something like that).

If that theory is correct, Dash could get something rainbow colored too in the 10th episode (As if there wasn't enough rainbow already).

That goes for this episode at least. I think someone already said that the eyes at the end of Castlemania were of no real significance. As for Fluttershy's fangs, I certainly hope it wasn't just a tease and it's going to have some effect in the coming episodes.
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by CamoBadger Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:What people were suggesting is that this could actually be one of the figurative keys for the chest, meaning they'd be items Mane 6 would obtain as part of doing something related to their Element of Harmony (or something like that).

If that theory is correct, Dash could get something rainbow colored too in the 10th episode (As if there wasn't enough rainbow already).

That goes for this episode at least. I think someone already said that the eyes at the end of Castlemania were of no real significance. As for Fluttershy's fangs, I certainly hope it wasn't just a tease and it's going to have some effect in the coming episodes.
On that thread.
Does anyone else find it incredibly creepy that Rarity has a spool of thread the same color as all her friends?
I TAKE YOUR HAIR WHILE YOU SLEEP
CamoBadger
CamoBadger
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Orm Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:06 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:
Weeeeell, have you seen this?
S4 Episode 8 - Rarity Takes Manehattan Medium

What people were suggesting is that this could actually be one of the figurative keys for the chest, meaning they'd be items Mane 6 would obtain as part of doing something related to their Element of Harmony (or something like that).

That's another thing.
I'm also getting annoyed by the amount of hype they're trying to build up for whatever it is they have planned.

They shouldn't be trying to get people excited for something that's another 16-ish episodes away.
Don't build expectations so high that you can't meet them.

As for the items, I can see that making sense.
But if they end every episode like that, it looses any significance it might have about making one thing look more important then the other.

And I'm going to be honest.
I hope the fangs aren't brought up again, it seems so necessary.

Last edited by Orm on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Orm
Orm
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmony Ltd. Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:06 pm

CamoBadger wrote:On that thread.
Does anyone else find it incredibly creepy that Rarity has a spool of thread the same color as all her friends?
*a thousand brony monkeys furiously typing MLP fanfiction*
Harmony Ltd.
Harmony Ltd.
Draconequus

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:11 pm

CamoBadger wrote:On that thread.
I took it as her simply having the right colored threads on hoof in case she needs to design something for them. Spontaneous inspiration or something.
Also keep in mind that the threads were colored as their coat not their manes, that'd be a chore to make a thread out of. If they were made out of their hair there would be two rainbow threads on the shelf. Twilight crazy

Last edited by Formis_Fluttergod on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Orm wrote:They shouldn't be trying to get people excited for something that's another 16-ish episodes away.
That's a lesson for the entire entertainment industry, especially video games. Compared to them the hype of season 4 finale is still fine and dandy. Spike 

Aww, but shy would be cute with fangs. Big mac
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Orm Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:23 pm

Formis_Fluttergod wrote:
Orm wrote:They shouldn't be trying to get people excited for something that's another 16-ish episodes away.
That's a lesson for the entire entertainment industry, especially video games. Compared to them the hype of season 4 finale is still fine and dandy. Spike 

Aww, but shy would be cute with fangs. Big mac
I understand that compared to everything else, this hype is nothing.
But they practically do this after every episode. It's always "Hope you guys saw this. ;)", or "I wonder what importance this could have? ;)", and then it just shows up on screen for 10 seconds.
It's just bugging me a bit, we can figure stuff out by ourselves. I doubt 7-10 year olds watching MLP are going to twitter to get a hint as to what some thread might mean. They know who is seeing this when they post it.

And they already try too hard to make Fluttershy cute and sympathetic.
They don't need to dedicate 2-3 more half hours to it.
They realize they have other characters right?
I'm still waiting for an AJ episode where she doesn't get outshined by someone else.
*Looks at Derpy and Flutterbat.*
Orm
Orm
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Formis_Fluttergod Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:44 am

Orm wrote:I understand that compared to everything else, this hype is nothing.
But they practically do this after every episode. It's always "Hope you guys saw this. ;)", or "I wonder what importance this could have? ;)", and then it just shows up on screen for 10 seconds.
It's just bugging me a bit, we can figure stuff out by ourselves. I doubt 7-10 year olds watching MLP are going to twitter to get a hint as to what some thread might mean. They know who is seeing this when they post it.
Well, in 5 episodes.
In Castemania it was simply kind of open ending, Scooby Doo and such had a lot of those. The same could probably be said about Bats! and Shy's fangs. Daring Don't meant to simply properly show the book cover.
In Power Ponies the comic disappearing was a curious thing, but I don't think that is in any way tied to the main plotline.
And finally in Rarity Take Manehattan we have a mysterious, rainbow colored spool of thread. Given how much significance rainbow colored things have in FiM, I'd say that one has the biggest potential of actually being important.

Take it as a riddle. Gotta figure out which of things shown at the end of episodes might bear any significance. Spike 

And they already try too hard to make Fluttershy cute and sympathetic.
They don't need to dedicate 2-3 more half hours to it.
They realize they have other characters right?
I'm still waiting for an AJ episode where she doesn't get outshined by someone else.
*Looks at Derpy and Flutterbat.*
The thing about AJ is sadly true and I'd like it finally sorted out in some amazing AJ episode as well.
However, the thing with Fluttershy is that any character development she'd got in the previous episodes basically evaporated into thin air after the episode ended. Could be that most of the character development would alter her personality in a major way so they discarded it (shouldn't have done the character development in the first place then) rather than to deal with it. I'd like at least for something to stick, even if it's as insignificant as a pair of fangs (though the insignificance is kinda questionable and depending on future episodes).
Formis_Fluttergod
Formis_Fluttergod
Ursa Major

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:25 pm

While looking for Derpy, I found an alicorn stallion near the beginning, according to the mlp wikia, one Rising Star (Unicorn). No sign of her, although there was with similar coloration far off in the background near the beginning.
OneMoreDaySK
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Knowing Spike, he volunteered to carry it all and waved off anyone who offered to help. Dragon code non-sense and the fact he's still crushing on Rarity.

And other than Rarity, the others don't usually care around a bunch of stuff to warrant luggage. And I'm convinced Rarity was literally pulling those gems out of her ass since I don't know where on her person she would be carrying them.
Moodyman90
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down