Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Cloudsville
Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.
Cloudsville
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

+50
The Tainted One
Twilightrose42
The Truth
Boing
Luminous Lead
CD
Katarn
OneMoreDaySK
TyrannisUmbra
MSCA
Tytan
Technowolf
Valikdu
Admiral Stoic Rum
Dekshuduph
Meleagridis
ChaosDX1
chinman
Borsuq
skibadaa
SparkyTheDiamondDog
Rayndalf
FoolNeim
Retl
Evilgidgit
Shady
Harmony Ltd.
Scienza
CrispyBit
Aonee
Train Dodger
Stringtheory
TheWanderingZebra
StoneSlinger88
Kippershy
FeatherDust
Silver136
WavemasterRyx
Downloaded Skill
Somber
Derpmind
Exodus Hero
Caoimhe
SilentCarto
Moodyman90
O. Hinds
RoboRed
Vergil
CamoBadger
Icy Shake
54 posters

Page 6 of 32 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19 ... 32  Next

Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by O. Hinds Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Vergil wrote:Ch. 39: "I was the one with the cybernetic legs and ntot getting the life sucked out of me and... oh... look at that little bar with a flashing E beside it."
Ah, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 383

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Vergil Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:57 pm

Ch. 40: "Damnit Glory, there must me something I can do!"
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:47 am

Vergil wrote:Ch. 40: "Damnit Glory, there must me something I can do!"
Ah, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:08 am

Read chapter thirty six today. I think it's a good example of one that hit all the bases well: character, action, plot and world-building, humor, emotion.
That said, it was in certain aspects frustrating, but probably intentionally so, and partly as a result of that and partly due to the repeated and varied emotional peaks—some deaths, some reconciliations, some revelations—it's kind of draining.

Chapter Thirty Six Running Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty Six Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty Six Editing:
Other Chapter Editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:13 am

Icy Shake wrote:Read chapter thirty six today. I think it's a good example of one that hit all the bases well: character, action, plot and world-building, humor, emotion.
That said, it was in certain aspects frustrating, but probably intentionally so, and partly as a result of that and partly due to the repeated and varied emotional peaks—some deaths, some reconciliations, some revelations—it's kind of draining.

Chapter Thirty Six Running Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty Six Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty Six Editing:
Other Chapter Editing:
Ah, thank you very much as always.

Icy Shake wrote:I think that this might read slightly better if either the comma after "but" were removed, or if "Rampage" and "she" were switched.
Hm… No, I think that it's better as it is. Sorry.

Icy Shake wrote:No, I'll probably never dissociate trains from MLP, and PH in particular.
Whyever might that be? :D

Icy Shake wrote:Where did Auger get this? She wears it on her left hoof. Maybe Cognitum got it wrong?
I expect that that's a typo; it's been fixed.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:57 pm

I have a confession to make... I REALLY hate going back and reading my old work.  At best, it makes me cringe.  And worse, I have the constant urge to tweak and change things.  Especially since a lot of folks say this was where PH starts changing on them.  That little niggling critic pokes me and goes 'That paragraph is wandering all over the fucking place!  Change it!'  and 'Why the hell is BJ saying THAT when she should say this?!  Change it!'

Sight...

I really do value your looking back, Icy.  You bring out excellent points, you're honest about when something isn't working, and you do great error checking.  Thanks.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Shady Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:35 pm

After viewing yesterdays episode I guess we can conclude that BJ isn't Equestria's biggest alcoholic after all... Rainbow Dash
Shady
Shady
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Somber Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:43 pm

No.  We can safely ignore any and all episodes writen by Merriweather Williams.  I do.
Somber
Somber
Hydra

Brohoof! : 1046

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:00 pm

In ch.41 there's an extra quotation mark after, "Why couldn't she just accept I didn't need to sleep?"
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Vergil wrote:In ch.41 there's an extra quotation mark after, "Why couldn't she just accept I didn't need to sleep?"
Ah, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Somber wrote:I really do value your looking back, Icy.  You bring out excellent points, you're honest about when something isn't working, and you do great error checking.  Thanks.
I'm happy you feel that way. It's something that I love to do, and it's nice that it can mean something to others as well.

Shady wrote:After viewing yesterdays episode I guess we can conclude that BJ isn't Equestria's biggest alcoholic after all... Rainbow Dash
I never really thought of Blackjack as an alcoholic. She seems more like a binge drinker to me, and that hardly stands out since it's one of many things that she takes to excess.

Somber wrote:No.  We can safely ignore any and all episodes writen by Merriweather Williams.  I do.
Well, I don't feel quite that strongly (though very little has been done to dig out of the vast goodwill hole she dug with "Mysterious Mare-do-Well," "Hearth's Warming Eve" was pretty good, and there was so little that actually happened in the "real world" in that episode that there's almost nothing to ignore), it does seem that most of her episodes, even the better ones, have major holes in the supporting logic (in "Bats!," for instance, just how is the sanctuary supposed to work?).

Also, I don't want to sound too pessimistic or spiteful, but track records have to count for something, so why does the first Rarity episode in over a season have to be by Dave Polsky!?  Yell 
(To keep this last at least a little on-topic, having looked at the writers for basically the first time, I now have a better understanding of just why "Spike at Your Service" ended up like it did; with Polsky on story and Williams on teleplay, given their other episodes, it's about what I'd expect.)
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:15 pm

O. Hinds wrote:Hm…  No, I think that it's better as it is.  Sorry.
(for reference)
I heard ribs snapping like dry branches, but, while Rampage grunted and bent a little, she didn’t go down.

I think Shake is picking up on a valid complaint, but the simpler fix would be to remove the comma after 'but'.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:20 pm

So, a quick question: when do mares in 99 start their jobs? It seems to be implied at the start of chapter one that it's when they get their cutie marks, but the start of chapter seven has Blackjack's first male-retiring was before then. Was that just a special case, something that you might do before you started your job, or did pre–cutie mark fillies have reduced schedules or something? Or, I guess, a continuity shift.

Also, Hinds, since I forgot to say it earlier, there's no need to apologize for a little difference of opinion.

Anyway, because, like Blackjack, I enjoy a good binge, more PH!

Chapter thirty seven running thoughts:
Chapter thirty seven overall thoughts:
Chapter thirty seven editing:
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:14 am

SilentCarto wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:Hm…  No, I think that it's better as it is.  Sorry.
(for reference)
I heard ribs snapping like dry branches, but, while Rampage grunted and bent a little, she didn’t go down.

I think Shake is picking up on a valid complaint, but the simpler fix would be to remove the comma after 'but'.
Eh... Sure.

Icy Shake wrote:So, a quick question: when do mares in 99 start their jobs? It seems to be implied at the start of chapter one that it's when they get their cutie marks, but the start of chapter seven has Blackjack's first male-retiring was before then. Was that just a special case, something that you might do before you started your job, or did pre–cutie mark fillies have reduced schedules or something? Or, I guess, a continuity shift.

Also, Hinds, since I forgot to say it earlier, there's no need to apologize for a little difference of opinion.

Anyway, because, like Blackjack, I enjoy a good binge, more PH!

Chapter thirty seven running thoughts:
Chapter thirty seven overall thoughts:
Chapter thirty seven editing:
…I tend to apologize a lot. Anyway, thanks for the error-spotting. :)

So what exactly is the different between "further" and "farther"?

Icy Shake wrote:Hadn’t that been what Tenpony had been for?

Should the first word be "Wasn't"?
I don't think so. "Hadn't" seems to work fine, whereas "Wasn't that been what…" is flawed. So-- :)

Icy Shake wrote:Who is Cora? More to the point, how does Blackjack know who she is? Is she Fury? I figure it's not Brass, since that was her name before being transformed, too. Maybe I just missed it, if it's a variant on another name, but "Cora" only shows up there and two paragraphs later.
It's Brass. "Cora" is derived from "manticore".

Icy Shake wrote:Comma after "aw"?
I think that it sounds better without one.

Icy Shake wrote:Come on, man, you're supposed to be smarter than this. Who chucks an incendiary in the middle of a dense forest which appears to be all dead trees? You're actually lucky you're wrong. Kind of.
Where would P-21 have found information on forestry?

Icy Shake wrote:I have to admit, F&F are nothing if not entertaining. Though now I wonder just what the Equestrian date system was . . . Would that be the eleventh year of Luna's reign?
Aye.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:29 am

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Hadn’t that been what Tenpony had been for?

Should the first word be "Wasn't"?
I don't think so.  "Hadn't" seems to work fine, whereas "Wasn't that been what…" is flawed.  So-- :)
Oops. Meant for the alternate to be "Wasn't that what what Tenpony had been for?" Ah, well.

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Who is Cora? More to the point, how does Blackjack know who she is? Is she Fury? I figure it's not Brass, since that was her name before being transformed, too. Maybe I just missed it, if it's a variant on another name, but "Cora" only shows up there and two paragraphs later.
It's Brass.  "Cora" is derived from "manticore".
Okay, thanks. That makes sense.

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Come on, man, you're supposed to be smarter than this. Who chucks an incendiary in the middle of a dense forest which appears to be all dead trees? You're actually lucky you're wrong. Kind of.
Where would P-21 have found information on forestry?
You don't think the demo man would know "dry wood burns good" and extrapolate to "lots of dry wood, all together, will spread fire fast"? On the other hand, I guess it is Hoofington, so the concept of "dry" wood may not really come into play that much.

O. Hinds wrote:So what exactly is the different between "further" and "farther"?
Basically, the way I learned it is "farther" is about physical distance (the house is farther down the road), while "further" is about metaphorical progression/distance (the bill got further through the legislative process than expected), in addition to being a verb (how can I help you further your goals) and a shortening of "furthermore."
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:21 am

Icy Shake wrote:You don't think the demo man would know "dry wood burns good" and extrapolate to "lots of dry wood, all together, will spread fire fast"? On the other hand, I guess it is Hoofington, so the concept of "dry" wood may not really come into play that much.
Also, burning down the forest is here not so much an unintended consequence as it is the point of the thing.

Icy Shake wrote:Basically, the way I learned it is "farther" is about physical distance (the house is farther down the road), while "further" is about metaphorical progression/distance (the bill got further through the legislative process than expected), in addition to being a verb (how can I help you further your goals) and a shortening of "furthermore."
Ah, thank you. I shall try to remember that.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Train Dodger Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:22 am

I should mention, there are instances in Chapter 11, 30 and 37 where Robronco is misspelled as "Robroco" without the N.

EDIT: Oh, and Chapter 9, as well.
Train Dodger
Train Dodger
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:32 am

Train Dodger wrote:I should mention, there are instances in Chapter 11, 30 and 37 where Robronco is misspelled as "Robroco" without the N.

EDIT: Oh, and Chapter 9, as well.
Ah, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:22 am

Icy Shake wrote:
O. Hinds wrote:So what exactly is the different between "further" and "farther"?
Basically, the way I learned it is "farther" is about physical distance (the house is farther down the road), while "further" is about metaphorical progression/distance (the bill got further through the legislative process than expected), in addition to being a verb (how can I help you further your goals) and a shortening of "furthermore."
Right on the money, except that you can always use "further" and it's correct, even if you're talking about literal physical distance.

P.S. I got home today from a trip and watched "Bats!". My only possible comment is "what the actual fuck."
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Ch.44: "I picked it up and floated down onto the nightstand. "
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:44 pm

Vergil wrote:Ch.44: "I picked it up and floated down onto the nightstand. "
Ah, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:10 am

Happy New Year, PHCC!

SilentCarto wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:
Right on the money, except that you can always use "further" and it's correct, even if you're talking about literal physical distance.

P.S. I got home today from a trip and watched "Bats!". My only possible comment is "what the actual fuck."
Ah, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
As to the P.S., I'm sure you could say more. But in the end, it would likely add up to the same.

Anyway, after running through my head for a while, I now can't shake a feeling of connection between Blackjack's general outlook, and her way of dealing with hostage situations in particular, and the parable of the lost sheep. Don't know if it's apt, though.

Is there a law of conservation of shitty in Project Horizons? It sure feels like that, with things basically going decently (bearing the Hoofington baseline in mind) for Blackjack the last couple chapters I've read, but with her friends (also) dealing with serious loss, bad cases of near-death and body and identity horror, and now the complete emotional destruction of Psychoshy.

Chapter Thirty Eight Running Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty Eight Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty Eight Editing Matters:
Other Chapter Editing:

O. Hinds wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:You don't think the demo man would know "dry wood burns good" and extrapolate to "lots of dry wood, all together, will spread fire fast"? On the other hand, I guess it is Hoofington, so the concept of "dry" wood may not really come into play that much.
Also, burning down the forest is here not so much an unintended consequence as it is the point of the thing.
Well, my impression was that the goal was to burn just a few of the trees that were blocking their path. I hope his goal wasn't to burn down the whole forest. Granted, if his situational awareness was on the level it was in the succeeding chapter, that might have been what he was going for, and I can't exactly blame him (much) for making bad decisions while distraught and possibly in withdrawal.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Is there a law of conservation of shitty in Project Horizons?

I think that's just how stories work. Characters have to deal with conflict, and in PH most conflicts are pretty damn extreme.

May you all find happiness in the future 365 + change days.
Derpmind
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Icy Shake wrote:Happy New Year, PHCC!
Aye, happy new year!

Icy Shake wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:

Ah, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
As to the P.S., I'm sure you could say more. But in the end, it would likely add up to the same.

Anyway, after running through my head for a while, I now can't shake a feeling of connection between Blackjack's general outlook, and her way of dealing with hostage situations in particular, and the parable of the lost sheep. Don't know if it's apt, though.

Is there a law of conservation of shitty in Project Horizons? It sure feels like that, with things basically going decently (bearing the Hoofington baseline in mind) for Blackjack the last couple chapters I've read, but with her friends (also) dealing with serious loss, bad cases of near-death and body and identity horror, and now the complete emotional destruction of Psychoshy.

Chapter Thirty Eight Running Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty Eight Overall Thoughts:
Chapter Thirty Eight Editing Matters:
Other Chapter Editing:

O. Hinds wrote:
Well, my impression was that the goal was to burn just a few of the trees that were blocking their path. I hope his goal wasn't to burn down the whole forest. Granted, if his situational awareness was on the level it was in the succeeding chapter, that might have been what he was going for, and I can't exactly blame him (much) for making bad decisions while distraught and possibly in withdrawal.
Ah, thank you very much as always.

Icy Shake wrote:Well, you were asking for it. Though, I now wonder whether Flux affects griffins, since it doesn't manticores, or was that cockatrices, or both?
Manticores. Why? We don't know. Maybe because affecting everything was just too orderly, and manticores got the luck of the random draw.

Icy Shake wrote:How bad is it that she basically takes regenerating opponnents as a baseline, at least for non-mooks?

Icy Shake wrote:You know, at some point you'd think that "looking at Blackjack like she's crazy" and "just looking at Blackjack" would become the same thing.
:D

Icy Shake wrote:Murky would be sooo happy. Granted, there are still all the warning signs, and the worse-than-warning signs.
Hee. :)
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Okay, after significant struggling with the revisions, we have decided not to make any such changes at this time. We may later make some alterations and additions of this nature, but Somber wishes to press on with the story.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:29 pm

Happy new year folks (and thanks for the update Hinds)!

Ch.45 "Look, I know how you forgive on the drop of a hat, but Psycho isn't a good pony." I could be mistaken, but shouldn't it be 'forgive at the drop of a hat'?

Also

"Just finding the damn place had taken me an hour of winding hallways, rooms turns into flophouses, and dead ends."
Vergil
Vergil
Mobius One

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 am

Icy Shake wrote:Anyway, after running through my head for a while, I now can't shake a feeling of connection between Blackjack's general outlook, and her way of dealing with hostage situations in particular, and the parable of the lost sheep. Don't know if it's apt, though.
Can you explain that train of thought? I'm not sure I see the connection.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:44 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:Anyway, after running through my head for a while, I now can't shake a feeling of connection between Blackjack's general outlook, and her way of dealing with hostage situations in particular, and the parable of the lost sheep. Don't know if it's apt, though.
Can you explain that train of thought? I'm not sure I see the connection.
And I'm not sure if it's a good one. First, the source I'm thinking from:
Luke 15:4-6 wrote:“What man among you having a hundred sheep and losing one of them would not leave the ninety-nine in the desert and go after the lost one until he finds it? And when he does find it, he sets it on his shoulders with great joy and, upon his arrival home, he calls together his friends and neighbors and says to them, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep.’
(Incidentally, for whatever reason I had thought the sheep count was one and nineteen.)

And I connect it to the immediacy Blackjack's focus: so very often, she'll put other obligations on hold (think when she first met Pain Train, and her promise to Glory not to seek out trouble) or spend time/risk life and limb to investigate cases where a few may be in danger or are being harmed (think Fallen Arch) even when mere delay could cost many lives elsewhere. The prompting case was surrendering EC-1101 to Sanguine and letting him leave Chapel to try to keep Charity from bleeding out. So, when Blackjack sees the one missing, she (much less so in current chapters, notably not immediately ending slavery at the Society, and of course the megaspell plan in Thunderhead) leaves the herd to find the last and succeeding, tends to feel like shit because that's who she is and the universe likes fucking with her. Hey, everything breaks down somewhere, right?

Of course, there's also the narrower sense in which she refuses to act as an executioner, always* offering the chance for the defeated to do better, which is probably more directly in line with the meaning of the parable as spelled out in verse seven: "I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance."

So, there's the connection I see. Don't know that it's really a great one, but sometimes these links just form unbidden in the mind, and aren't the easiest to break.

*Modulo the bridge, maybe, unless you count Word of God. Things could, after all, change.

Oh, and as a fun New Year's thing, "Run, Shoot, Kill, and Cry" was listed as the #17 brony song of 2013 by Celestia Radio.
Icy Shake
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:57 am

Vergil wrote:Happy new year folks (and thanks for the update Hinds)!

Ch.45 "Look, I know how you forgive on the drop of a hat, but Psycho isn't a good pony." I could be mistaken, but shouldn't it be 'forgive at the drop of a hat'?

Also

"Just finding the damn place had taken me an hour of winding hallways, rooms turns into flophouses, and dead ends."
You're welcome, and, as always, thank you.
O. Hinds
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:13 pm

Icy Shake wrote:And I'm not sure if it's a good one.
Hm. Well, I do think the passage has rather the opposite meaning -- it basically conveys the same idea as the Prodigal Son.

Icy Shake wrote:*Modulo the bridge, maybe, unless you count Word of God. Things could, after all, change.
I'm giggling over the use of the phrase "Word fo God" after quoting scripture.

I think BJ's statement that "I'm not an executioner" still holds true. It's her ideal, and that doesn't mean she can't slip and fail once in a while under duress.
SilentCarto
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 32 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19 ... 32  Next