Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

[GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [GRIMDARK] Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Discussion

Post by Scienza on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Moodyman90 wrote:Know what weapon I miss? Blackjack's original melee weapon, the nightstick. It didn't last long but her escape from the prison the other chapter when she picked up another one made me a bit happy.
Same goes for the shotgun. If I remember correctly, she hasn't used one in a while.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:31 pm

Scienza wrote:
Moodyman90 wrote:Know what weapon I miss? Blackjack's original melee weapon, the nightstick. It didn't last long but her escape from the prison the other chapter when she picked up another one made me a bit happy.
Same goes for the shotgun. If I remember correctly, she hasn't used one in a while.
Well, the best part about that was that it wasn't "the" shotgun: it was a running gag that she lost or broke them really quickly. But I guess that was kind of covered in the "used one in a while."
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:14 am

Called it on bj being the now to be preggers and not Glory! Called it called it called it! You thought I was just absent minded but noooo I knew all along deep in my mind! Dance puppets! Muhahahah. 

Erm, ahem, jolly good show, Somber.

Anyway I thought that was all fantastic. Boo needs to earn her cutie mark now and have her markmitzvah party since her special talent is fluency in Pokemon.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 264

Character List:
Name: Comma, Splice
Sex: Female
Species: Sentence fragment

Back to top Go down

Post by Vergil on Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:53 am

I have to closely monitor my Boo intake lest I get diabetes at this point.
Vergil
Mobius One

Brohoof! : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:00 am

Chapter 62b Commentary... with a special guest commenter:

Hi there! Today's commentary will be provided by our special guest, Lady Rainicorn!

좋은 하루! 나에게 장을 검토 할 수있는 기회를 주셔서 대단히 감사합니다!

난 당신만큼 내가 한으로 즐길 수 있기를 바랍니다! 지금 당장 시작하자--

...All right, that's enough of that. So, here we go, with the Unspoken Plan Guarantee in full effect. (He said, smirking because BJ's the one making the plans.)

“Yeah, I wasn’t expecting that either,” I said once we were clear, glad synthetic ears could handle the shriek.
Poor Boo! So, is this indicating the tower is pressurized to sea level, or is this some Bespin bullshit? (By which I mean the windstorm blowing through the central shaft.)

One down, a whole lot more to go.  The elevator was constantly carrying me closer to the targeting ranges of the turrets above, and I couldn’t take my time to pick them off at my leisure.
Don't you love those levels where you start an elevator, then you have to fight a fixed series of battles as enemies keep dropping onto the platform?

Yeah, me neither.

Boo cried out as one of the beams hit near her, the mere heat of its passage scoring her pale hide and peppering her with flecks of melted lift platform.
Wow, that may be the first time Boo's been hurt, like... ever.

Soon as I was through, the door, locks or no, slid closed once more.
Uh... does that mean as soon as she let go, the door sprung shut? Or is Lighthooves actively closing doors behind her?

Next time I saw Rover, I needed to find a way to make my legs interchangeable.
I agree! But then you end up with a weak point where they connect. Sigh.

It’d happened all the time in 99; some fillies would take it upon themselves to claim some corner of the utility or storage level and make a name for themselves.  In 99, we’d been the ‘Card Club’.
You know, there must have been some defining moment where BJ changed from a founding member of the Card Club into "that Security mare we let into our games." I imagine it must have been some incident where BJ had to shut down the game and report some serious misbehavior. She did the right thing, but from then on, everyone felt like they had to watch their behavior around her and couldn't relax.

“Chicancery?  What are you doing here?”
Hiding out, duh...

A moment later, with a plate of snack cakes balanced on her rump and one in her mouth, Boo followed after us.  She’d somehow been able to weaponize cute.
Oh, like that's news.

She’d been the one with an indifferent expression, but, as I looked closer, I saw that her brown eyes were completely clouded over.  “Mother, this is Blackjack.  She’s a cyberpony from the surface.”
Hm. So she didn't react because she's blind. That suggests that the one with the "this isn't good" expression is her second in command, who actually sees that her orders get carried out.

“Yes.  And your son, Legerdemain,” I said with as much gravity as I could put in my voice.  I sounded almost like Mom, actually.
I love it when she's able to pull off this kind of command presence.

“There’s a hoofful of survivors left.  It’s not nearly as nice as your stable is, but it is a standard Stable-Tec Stable.  You’d have to share it with a group calling themselves the Steel Rangers, but I have a feeling that you two would have a lot of offer each other.  They need ponies to run the stable and fix their weapons.  You need a place to stay and ponies with experience fighting the Wasteland.  The survivors there could show you all the ins and outs of the place, and you’d keep it alive.”
Ooh, sweet deal! And the 99 survivors will be like, "Holy crap, pegasi!"

Now the only trick is getting them off the tower...

She nodded and clicked her way to the door, talking in urgent and low tones.
It noted her PipBuck clicking as she walked earlier, too. I take it that means she lost part of her hoof to the flashbang as well.

“Be ready to extract the tower ponies in an hour.  I’ll find some way to clear them for you.”
Dis gon b gud. Somehow, this feels like the core of FoE to me. The moment after the plans have all been torpedoed and the heroes start playing it by ear and being awesome.

Never be afraid to capitalize on an opportunity just because it doesn't fit your original plan.

Without their augments matching their hide and with no hint of a seam or impression that the armor could come off, the transition from one to the other was a bit disturbing.
That's interesting. I wonder if the Steelpony augs just happened to match BJ's coat, or if those they made for Blackjack were enameled white and these are just following the same design.

“It’s somewhat depressing that that’s the tenth time that’s worked.”
100 Speech, baby!

He led me to a much smaller cafeteria where six bemused unicorns stood around a machine that looked like Triage’s medical booth on Buck, Rage, and maybe a little Hydra.
That is a beautiful description.

“Security.  We’re getting ready to evacuate the stable.  You’re not safe here anymore.”
I like how she doesn't have to specify who she's Security for. I wonder if these unicorns know who Security is, or (more likely, given they didn't recognize her from the augs) they'd assume "Tower Security".

Wings.  My eyes stared at the dozens of metal-feathered wings dangling from their rack, each with a red talisman in the center joint, and I felt my blood run cold.
Well, that wasn't the "alicorn Blackjack" I was expecting... And hey, already got the shoulder reinforcements to anchor them to.

Okay, just saying -- do not blow that thing up before Glory gets a chance. Or at least shove a wing or two in your saddlebags. Then you can ask her to marry you and give her an engagement wing!

When those hands pulled, nothing could stop me from seeing the bloody hide dangling from the steel fingers, because my eyelids were attached to it.
The hell is it doing? Wings don't go on your face!

The metal plate was being fixed to my face, covering my muzzle and head before being screwed in place.
Oh. Subdermal Armor implant? Or is it subdermal at all?

“Woah!  Foreign biological material detected!” one of the technicians shouted.
“Don’t worry.  The pod will flush it,” replied the other.
“It’s in her uterus,” the first snapped.  “Dear skies above, I think she’s pregnant!”
Holy crap. Well, at least we know it won't start messing with her for weeks yet.

I have no clue what this ‘Eclipse’ model is supposed to be.
Oh my. Huh. I guess the only question is whether Luna was in on this or not...

The mare in the mirror wasn’t me.  She was coated head to hoof in black armor.
Damn.

Damn.

Damn it. It couldn't just install the wings. No, it just had to go for the full Killer Cyborg package.

This is the Maiden of the Stars that Vitiosus was waiting for.

Well, now I'm positive we're gonna be cloning up a new body eventually...

I howled as I ripped the machine apart, and then, when there was nothing left of that horrid device to destroy, I sprayed and slashed and smashed my way through the rest of the room, pegasi and unicorns running for the exit or diving for cover.
Ungh... Glory could use a couple of those, you know... with Triage and Rover to make sure they only replace what needs replacing...

Essence is now 0.1.

“Bwackjack!”

Sweet Celestia, I'm only halfway through the chapter.

“I can only guess that your healing and repair talisman treated it like any other bit of shrapnel or bullet and digested it,” the mare answered, then sighed.
Oh. I... that actually makes a whole lot of sense. Well done.

“If we had the magic and a candidate, I’d suggest a surrogacy spell.  You should be fine for a few months, but when the foal starts pressing against your reinforcements, it’s going to get really uncomfortable for both of you.”
At least we have an obvious candidate available, unless fate was unkind enough to manage two foals in one night.

“Brilliant!  I never seen a distraction technique so well pulled off!  I mean, you were spinning on all three axes at once.  And the crying for your mommy?  Wonderful,” Chicanery said as he trotted up with his camera helmet back on.
If you can't be badass, just draw fire, I guess. BJ is intermittently good at both.

“Oh yeah.  No way I’m missing footage like this!  I plan to live through this, and when I do--” there was a flash of silver, and I sheathed my sword before I turned and trotted for the exit. “Wait, what--” he began.  Then the hat came apart and tumbled into his hooves.  “My footage...” he whimpered.  “Not cool.”
And there's the badassitude. XD

At the very least, though, I could protect her better.  In a few minutes, I had my operative armor on her and repaired to cover her.  The respirator hissed as she stared at me, and I imagined her baffled expression.
Oh god. That's... horrifying.

And adorable.

Horridorable.

Even moreso if you imagine a piece of plate metal duct-taped across the horn hole. Or would it be cuter with a hank of long, white mane poking out?

If she asks "Are you my mummy?" I'm throwing my computer across the room.

“If I can get what I need to make it work, sure.”  I sighed, looking up.  “At this rate, I might have to just cut one off a missile.”
So that's starting to sound like some of those letters are "balefire bomb"...

“She can talk?” Rampage goggled.  “Quick!  Say ‘booger’!  ‘Shit!’  ‘Harlot!’  ‘Batsuawa!’  ‘Trickle down economics!’  ‘Pink!’”
Thank you, Doctor Octopus.

“That’s because dying for you is actually easy,” she sulked.
Actually, considering she's done it twice and it hasn't taken yet...

Okay, fine, it's hypothetically easy.

“Yah mule.  Back to my ship.  We’ll need to paint it bright red to make it go faster.  Give it some extra guns.  And spikes.  It definitely needs some more spikes.”
Da red wunz go fasta!
More dakka!
Spikes 'n' blades!
WAAAGH!

My sword, hovering beside me, tumbled away to the green Core far below.  I saw it glitter for a moment in the sun, and then it was gone.
Good riddance, says I.

I lay in a proper dungeon.
Okay... if Psalm is done messing with BJ's mind and the Goddess is dead, who's left to give BJ their memories?!

The white moon on her chest plate flashed, then detached and in a burst of light transformed into a geometric, glowing white crystal the size of a pony’s eye.  “Do you know what this is?”
“That’s... that’s the EC-1101 megaspell matrix, your majesty.”
Ah. So this must be Echo, then.

Then, without further ado, I popped the bag over my mouth, hooked the drawstrings to my ears, and began to munch munch munch as I looked around.
Oh, Blackjack, never change.

I mean, personality-wise. I wouldn't mind dumping the armor and augs.

“Maybe...”  Rainbow Dash shook her head a little.  “You still don’t have any way to target it.”
“I’ll need a talisman from one of his missiles, or maybe we can yank one from a turret.”
Or you could use the one Steel Rain gave you.

Rainbow Dash sighed and gazed at the pictures by the desk.  “Welcome to the club.  We have crumbled cookies and spilt milk.”
That was really a tremendously clever line. I can't think of anything else to say.

While his back was to me, I flipped open my PipBuck and pushed a button.
This trick never gets old. Fooled You

You’re not the Princess… piece... thing on the board, you’re just a prawn too.  Or are those horsies?  Or maybe one of the castle thingies.
Bwahahahaha! Oh my god. And you were on such a roll, too...

And that was the point in which I threw the chair with all my strength right into his face.
WOOHOO!

"Command: snapped strings."
Oh, god. Here we go. Echo had better have kept out any untoward programming.

He reared up and brought his forehooves to my face… and then the ends of his hooves opened like flowers, three fingers and a thumb springing from each.
HAX! This is a great boss battle, by the way. I love that both of them have a goal other than "kill the other guy".

“How fireproof are you?” I countered, grinning at him.
Awesome, awesome, awesome. :D

“Fire prevention measures, activated,” the mechanical voice said, and instantly white blobs fell all over the factory with heavy ‘flumps’.  One landed right on top of the pair of us, chilling me instantly.  I poked my head out of the snowdrift and looked at him as the pristine white quickly stained black around the both of us.
Pegasi. Spike

“No,” I admitted.  “Probably not.”  Then I scooped up a load of snow between my hooves and packed it into a ball.  “But if the battle for the future of the Enclave and the Wasteland comes down to a snowball fight, nopony is going to believe it.”
Right up until you do something awesome and incredibly deadly with a snowball... I mean, you already brained a minotaur with a cake. What's left?

“I have a megaspell.”
Oh. That was more general in nature than I was expecting.

> Casting Megaspell: Implosion
I'm curious how BJ found out exactly what that spell was...
Still, great way to get rid of the virus.

As it passed through me, hooks of magic dug into every particle of my being... and we all started moving towards the center of the spell.  “Oh no.  No no no!” I shouted as I tried my best to flap away, ‘up’ when I seemed so much heavier to the new ‘down’.
Don't fly up, fly sideways to the gravity field! Orbit! ORBIT!

You know, that's the second megaspell this week. Lousy habit. I recommend against it.

And... and... for some reason I imagined someone was eating popcorn as they watched things unfold!
Discord, get out here and help!

I made out the name, Hurricane, across its bow.  As I lay there, only one thought passed through my mind before the ship struck.
Does that count as a boat?
Yes. Yes it does.

Hey, can BJ eat beam gun gem cartridges for power? Because I bet it has a ton of 'em on board.

Whew. Heck of a chapter. Heck of a brawl, too! And heck of a feels, in the middle there.

I also want to tell folks I finally got some what steady employment starting in January.
Woohoo! Glad to hear it, Somber!

Huh... well, I'm all done, but I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Editing:

“You were nothing less than a two-bit murderer,” I snarled at his image.
Shouldn't that be "nothing more"? Two-bit suggests something trivial.

Then he blew all right.
blew, all

Said either Neighvarro would kill you or you’d get killed by Neighvarro.
Aren't those the same thing?

A stable is meant to be an independent, self-sustaining.
An independent, self-sustaining what?

"Fighting is firmly forbidden."
This should probably be "strictly forbidden."

I told a deep breath and then sagged.
took

It is better to dare and die for something better than it is to live a life subscribed by another.
This should be "prescribed", unless I'm completely crazy. "Subscribed", in this context, means "pledged".

I need to check in and made some calls.
make

For a second, I worried she might be trying something, but my augmented hearing heard instructions being given for them to start preparing the population for evacuation.
Instead of "hearing heard" I'd say "hearing picked up".

She expressed doubt a moment, saying that wastelanders didn’t want to live and die in a metal hole in the ground under Steel Ranger supervision.
doubt for a moment

I was a little iffy on the how at the moment, admittedly, but I would figure something out.
"at the moment, admittedly" sounds awkward here. Switch it around to "I was admittedly a little iffy on how at the moment, but..."

Go round them up and get them to the loading dock in no more than groups of six.
...in groups of no more than six.

Problem is that I really don’t think we have enough time.
Problem is, I really don't...

If Neighvarro drags him down, he wants to go down bloody and to take as many of you as he can.
...and take as many of you with him as he can.

There’s an anesthetical field on, but all the others were fully unconscious for this.
anesthetic

But then I felt the tugging around my ears and cheeks, and it was all I could do to do nothing as I felt the rubbing that made me want to itch and scream all at once.
Don't you mean "scratch" instead of "itch"?

Now I just had to get the memories of being in the pod scourged from my memor--... nope.
Scoured.

Better to digress and not think about it for now.
I think you meant "regress".

“I’m Blackjack, and I’m giving you this one time to give up, get the hell out of here, and save me a lot of frigging annoyance!  Don’t make me come up there!  I mean it!”
"One chance"?

That lasted for all of a second when the Neighvarro pegasi stormed the catwalks in a blaze of gunfire...
all of a second until the Neighvarro pegasi

I could now see into the smoke filled structure; see the buildings within grotesquely elongated, holed, or melted.
smoke-filled

Thankfully she was no heavier than the rest of me.
Comma after "thankfully".

I could see the Tower and the other spires of the Core exposed completely beneath me; not even the slightest whiff of vapor obscured the luminous boulevards below.
Wisp of vapor.

Additional Edits:

Chapter 52:
“And I saw the orb in Miramare.  I saw what Brass did to you… what that… that…”  I clenched my jaw and then shouted,” that Cunt did to you!”
The open-quote after "shouted" is attached to the wrong word.
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 393

Back to top Go down

Post by O. Hinds on Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:58 am

SilentCarto wrote:
Chapter 62b Commentary... with a special guest commenter:

Hi there! Today's commentary will be provided by our special guest, Lady Rainicorn!

좋은 하루! 나에게 장을 검토 할 수있는 기회를 주셔서 대단히 감사합니다!

난 당신만큼 내가 한으로 즐길 수 있기를 바랍니다! 지금 당장 시작하자--

...All right, that's enough of that. So, here we go, with the Unspoken Plan Guarantee in full effect. (He said, smirking because BJ's the one making the plans.)

“Yeah, I wasn’t expecting that either,” I said once we were clear, glad synthetic ears could handle the shriek.
Poor Boo! So, is this indicating the tower is pressurized to sea level, or is this some Bespin bullshit? (By which I mean the windstorm blowing through the central shaft.)

One down, a whole lot more to go.  The elevator was constantly carrying me closer to the targeting ranges of the turrets above, and I couldn’t take my time to pick them off at my leisure.
Don't you love those levels where you start an elevator, then you have to fight a fixed series of battles as enemies keep dropping onto the platform?

Yeah, me neither.

Boo cried out as one of the beams hit near her, the mere heat of its passage scoring her pale hide and peppering her with flecks of melted lift platform.
Wow, that may be the first time Boo's been hurt, like... ever.

Soon as I was through, the door, locks or no, slid closed once more.
Uh... does that mean as soon as she let go, the door sprung shut? Or is Lighthooves actively closing doors behind her?

Next time I saw Rover, I needed to find a way to make my legs interchangeable.
I agree! But then you end up with a weak point where they connect. Sigh.

It’d happened all the time in 99; some fillies would take it upon themselves to claim some corner of the utility or storage level and make a name for themselves.  In 99, we’d been the ‘Card Club’.
You know, there must have been some defining moment where BJ changed from a founding member of the Card Club into "that Security mare we let into our games." I imagine it must have been some incident where BJ had to shut down the game and report some serious misbehavior. She did the right thing, but from then on, everyone felt like they had to watch their behavior around her and couldn't relax.

“Chicancery?  What are you doing here?”
Hiding out, duh...

A moment later, with a plate of snack cakes balanced on her rump and one in her mouth, Boo followed after us.  She’d somehow been able to weaponize cute.
Oh, like that's news.

She’d been the one with an indifferent expression, but, as I looked closer, I saw that her brown eyes were completely clouded over.  “Mother, this is Blackjack.  She’s a cyberpony from the surface.”
Hm. So she didn't react because she's blind. That suggests that the one with the "this isn't good" expression is her second in command, who actually sees that her orders get carried out.

“Yes.  And your son, Legerdemain,” I said with as much gravity as I could put in my voice.  I sounded almost like Mom, actually.
I love it when she's able to pull off this kind of command presence.

“There’s a hoofful of survivors left.  It’s not nearly as nice as your stable is, but it is a standard Stable-Tec Stable.  You’d have to share it with a group calling themselves the Steel Rangers, but I have a feeling that you two would have a lot of offer each other.  They need ponies to run the stable and fix their weapons.  You need a place to stay and ponies with experience fighting the Wasteland.  The survivors there could show you all the ins and outs of the place, and you’d keep it alive.”
Ooh, sweet deal! And the 99 survivors will be like, "Holy crap, pegasi!"

Now the only trick is getting them off the tower...

She nodded and clicked her way to the door, talking in urgent and low tones.
It noted her PipBuck clicking as she walked earlier, too. I take it that means she lost part of her hoof to the flashbang as well.

“Be ready to extract the tower ponies in an hour.  I’ll find some way to clear them for you.”
Dis gon b gud. Somehow, this feels like the core of FoE to me. The moment after the plans have all been torpedoed and the heroes start playing it by ear and being awesome.

Never be afraid to capitalize on an opportunity just because it doesn't fit your original plan.

Without their augments matching their hide and with no hint of a seam or impression that the armor could come off, the transition from one to the other was a bit disturbing.
That's interesting. I wonder if the Steelpony augs just happened to match BJ's coat, or if those they made for Blackjack were enameled white and these are just following the same design.

“It’s somewhat depressing that that’s the tenth time that’s worked.”
100 Speech, baby!

He led me to a much smaller cafeteria where six bemused unicorns stood around a machine that looked like Triage’s medical booth on Buck, Rage, and maybe a little Hydra.
That is a beautiful description.

“Security.  We’re getting ready to evacuate the stable.  You’re not safe here anymore.”
I like how she doesn't have to specify who she's Security for. I wonder if these unicorns know who Security is, or (more likely, given they didn't recognize her from the augs) they'd assume "Tower Security".

Wings.  My eyes stared at the dozens of metal-feathered wings dangling from their rack, each with a red talisman in the center joint, and I felt my blood run cold.
Well, that wasn't the "alicorn Blackjack" I was expecting... And hey, already got the shoulder reinforcements to anchor them to.

Okay, just saying -- do not blow that thing up before Glory gets a chance. Or at least shove a wing or two in your saddlebags. Then you can ask her to marry you and give her an engagement wing!

When those hands pulled, nothing could stop me from seeing the bloody hide dangling from the steel fingers, because my eyelids were attached to it.
The hell is it doing? Wings don't go on your face!

The metal plate was being fixed to my face, covering my muzzle and head before being screwed in place.
Oh. Subdermal Armor implant? Or is it subdermal at all?

“Woah!  Foreign biological material detected!” one of the technicians shouted.
“Don’t worry.  The pod will flush it,” replied the other.
“It’s in her uterus,” the first snapped.  “Dear skies above, I think she’s pregnant!”
Holy crap. Well, at least we know it won't start messing with her for weeks yet.

I have no clue what this ‘Eclipse’ model is supposed to be.
Oh my. Huh. I guess the only question is whether Luna was in on this or not...

The mare in the mirror wasn’t me.  She was coated head to hoof in black armor.
Damn.

Damn.

Damn it. It couldn't just install the wings. No, it just had to go for the full Killer Cyborg package.

This is the Maiden of the Stars that Vitiosus was waiting for.

Well, now I'm positive we're gonna be cloning up a new body eventually...

I howled as I ripped the machine apart, and then, when there was nothing left of that horrid device to destroy, I sprayed and slashed and smashed my way through the rest of the room, pegasi and unicorns running for the exit or diving for cover.
Ungh... Glory could use a couple of those, you know... with Triage and Rover to make sure they only replace what needs replacing...

Essence is now 0.1.

“Bwackjack!”

Sweet Celestia, I'm only halfway through the chapter.

“I can only guess that your healing and repair talisman treated it like any other bit of shrapnel or bullet and digested it,” the mare answered, then sighed.
Oh. I... that actually makes a whole lot of sense. Well done.

“If we had the magic and a candidate, I’d suggest a surrogacy spell.  You should be fine for a few months, but when the foal starts pressing against your reinforcements, it’s going to get really uncomfortable for both of you.”
At least we have an obvious candidate available, unless fate was unkind enough to manage two foals in one night.

“Brilliant!  I never seen a distraction technique so well pulled off!  I mean, you were spinning on all three axes at once.  And the crying for your mommy?  Wonderful,” Chicanery said as he trotted up with his camera helmet back on.
If you can't be badass, just draw fire, I guess. BJ is intermittently good at both.

“Oh yeah.  No way I’m missing footage like this!  I plan to live through this, and when I do--” there was a flash of silver, and I sheathed my sword before I turned and trotted for the exit. “Wait, what--” he began.  Then the hat came apart and tumbled into his hooves.  “My footage...” he whimpered.  “Not cool.”
And there's the badassitude. XD

At the very least, though, I could protect her better.  In a few minutes, I had my operative armor on her and repaired to cover her.  The respirator hissed as she stared at me, and I imagined her baffled expression.
Oh god. That's... horrifying.

And adorable.

Horridorable.

Even moreso if you imagine a piece of plate metal duct-taped across the horn hole. Or would it be cuter with a hank of long, white mane poking out?

If she asks "Are you my mummy?" I'm throwing my computer across the room.

“If I can get what I need to make it work, sure.”  I sighed, looking up.  “At this rate, I might have to just cut one off a missile.”
So that's starting to sound like some of those letters are "balefire bomb"...

“She can talk?” Rampage goggled.  “Quick!  Say ‘booger’!  ‘Shit!’  ‘Harlot!’  ‘Batsuawa!’  ‘Trickle down economics!’  ‘Pink!’”
Thank you, Doctor Octopus.

“That’s because dying for you is actually easy,” she sulked.
Actually, considering she's done it twice and it hasn't taken yet...

Okay, fine, it's hypothetically easy.

“Yah mule.  Back to my ship.  We’ll need to paint it bright red to make it go faster.  Give it some extra guns.  And spikes.  It definitely needs some more spikes.”
Da red wunz go fasta!
More dakka!
Spikes 'n' blades!
WAAAGH!

My sword, hovering beside me, tumbled away to the green Core far below.  I saw it glitter for a moment in the sun, and then it was gone.
Good riddance, says I.

I lay in a proper dungeon.
Okay... if Psalm is done messing with BJ's mind and the Goddess is dead, who's left to give BJ their memories?!

The white moon on her chest plate flashed, then detached and in a burst of light transformed into a geometric, glowing white crystal the size of a pony’s eye.  “Do you know what this is?”
“That’s... that’s the EC-1101 megaspell matrix, your majesty.”
Ah. So this must be Echo, then.

Then, without further ado, I popped the bag over my mouth, hooked the drawstrings to my ears, and began to munch munch munch as I looked around.
Oh, Blackjack, never change.

I mean, personality-wise. I wouldn't mind dumping the armor and augs.

“Maybe...”  Rainbow Dash shook her head a little.  “You still don’t have any way to target it.”
“I’ll need a talisman from one of his missiles, or maybe we can yank one from a turret.”
Or you could use the one Steel Rain gave you.

Rainbow Dash sighed and gazed at the pictures by the desk.  “Welcome to the club.  We have crumbled cookies and spilt milk.”
That was really a tremendously clever line. I can't think of anything else to say.

While his back was to me, I flipped open my PipBuck and pushed a button.
This trick never gets old. Fooled You

You’re not the Princess… piece... thing on the board, you’re just a prawn too.  Or are those horsies?  Or maybe one of the castle thingies.
Bwahahahaha! Oh my god. And you were on such a roll, too...

And that was the point in which I threw the chair with all my strength right into his face.
WOOHOO!

"Command: snapped strings."
Oh, god. Here we go. Echo had better have kept out any untoward programming.

He reared up and brought his forehooves to my face… and then the ends of his hooves opened like flowers, three fingers and a thumb springing from each.
HAX! This is a great boss battle, by the way. I love that both of them have a goal other than "kill the other guy".

“How fireproof are you?” I countered, grinning at him.
Awesome, awesome, awesome. :D

“Fire prevention measures, activated,” the mechanical voice said, and instantly white blobs fell all over the factory with heavy ‘flumps’.  One landed right on top of the pair of us, chilling me instantly.  I poked my head out of the snowdrift and looked at him as the pristine white quickly stained black around the both of us.
Pegasi. Spike

“No,” I admitted.  “Probably not.”  Then I scooped up a load of snow between my hooves and packed it into a ball.  “But if the battle for the future of the Enclave and the Wasteland comes down to a snowball fight, nopony is going to believe it.”
Right up until you do something awesome and incredibly deadly with a snowball... I mean, you already brained a minotaur with a cake. What's left?

“I have a megaspell.”
Oh. That was more general in nature than I was expecting.

> Casting Megaspell: Implosion
I'm curious how BJ found out exactly what that spell was...
Still, great way to get rid of the virus.

As it passed through me, hooks of magic dug into every particle of my being... and we all started moving towards the center of the spell.  “Oh no.  No no no!” I shouted as I tried my best to flap away, ‘up’ when I seemed so much heavier to the new ‘down’.
Don't fly up, fly sideways to the gravity field! Orbit! ORBIT!

You know, that's the second megaspell this week. Lousy habit. I recommend against it.

And... and... for some reason I imagined someone was eating popcorn as they watched things unfold!
Discord, get out here and help!

I made out the name, Hurricane, across its bow.  As I lay there, only one thought passed through my mind before the ship struck.
Does that count as a boat?
Yes. Yes it does.

Hey, can BJ eat beam gun gem cartridges for power? Because I bet it has a ton of 'em on board.

Whew. Heck of a chapter. Heck of a brawl, too! And heck of a feels, in the middle there.

I also want to tell folks I finally got some what steady employment starting in January.
Woohoo! Glad to hear it, Somber!

Huh... well, I'm all done, but I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Editing:

“You were nothing less than a two-bit murderer,” I snarled at his image.
Shouldn't that be "nothing more"? Two-bit suggests something trivial.

Then he blew all right.
blew, all

Said either Neighvarro would kill you or you’d get killed by Neighvarro.
Aren't those the same thing?

A stable is meant to be an independent, self-sustaining.
An independent, self-sustaining what?

"Fighting is firmly forbidden."
This should probably be "strictly forbidden."

I told a deep breath and then sagged.
took

It is better to dare and die for something better than it is to live a life subscribed by another.
This should be "prescribed", unless I'm completely crazy. "Subscribed", in this context, means "pledged".

I need to check in and made some calls.
make

For a second, I worried she might be trying something, but my augmented hearing heard instructions being given for them to start preparing the population for evacuation.
Instead of "hearing heard" I'd say "hearing picked up".

She expressed doubt a moment, saying that wastelanders didn’t want to live and die in a metal hole in the ground under Steel Ranger supervision.
doubt for a moment

I was a little iffy on the how at the moment, admittedly, but I would figure something out.
"at the moment, admittedly" sounds awkward here. Switch it around to "I was admittedly a little iffy on how at the moment, but..."

Go round them up and get them to the loading dock in no more than groups of six.
...in groups of no more than six.

Problem is that I really don’t think we have enough time.
Problem is, I really don't...

If Neighvarro drags him down, he wants to go down bloody and to take as many of you as he can.
...and take as many of you with him as he can.

There’s an anesthetical field on, but all the others were fully unconscious for this.
anesthetic

But then I felt the tugging around my ears and cheeks, and it was all I could do to do nothing as I felt the rubbing that made me want to itch and scream all at once.
Don't you mean "scratch" instead of "itch"?

Now I just had to get the memories of being in the pod scourged from my memor--... nope.
Scoured.

Better to digress and not think about it for now.
I think you meant "regress".

“I’m Blackjack, and I’m giving you this one time to give up, get the hell out of here, and save me a lot of frigging annoyance!  Don’t make me come up there!  I mean it!”
"One chance"?

That lasted for all of a second when the Neighvarro pegasi stormed the catwalks in a blaze of gunfire...
all of a second until the Neighvarro pegasi

I could now see into the smoke filled structure; see the buildings within grotesquely elongated, holed, or melted.
smoke-filled

Thankfully she was no heavier than the rest of me.
Comma after "thankfully".

I could see the Tower and the other spires of the Core exposed completely beneath me; not even the slightest whiff of vapor obscured the luminous boulevards below.
Wisp of vapor.

Additional Edits:

Chapter 52:
“And I saw the orb in Miramare.  I saw what Brass did to you… what that… that…”  I clenched my jaw and then shouted,” that Cunt did to you!”
The open-quote after "shouted" is attached to the wrong word.
Ah, thank you.

SilentCarto wrote:Scoured.
Why?

SilentCarto wrote:It noted her PipBuck clicking as she walked earlier, too. I take it that means she lost part of her hoof to the flashbang as well.
Oh? I just assumed that it was for echolocation.

SilentCarto wrote:Then you can ask her to marry you and give her an engagement wing!
:D

SilentCarto wrote:Or you could use the one Steel Rain gave you.
...What?
O. Hinds
Zebra Engineer

Brohoof! : 382

Character List:
Name: Ris Haends Aeronauticus
Sex: Male
Species: Zebra

Back to top Go down

Post by Adalbertus on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:23 am

It really annoys me that every time the new chapter pops up I want to post something relevant here or express my opinion and there's 10+ pages of comments already, that I really don't have the time or patience to read through. Then I feel like a stupid, lazy little kid and I louse all my courage to speak <_<
But yeah, that aside, and no, I did not read through those other posts, forgive me please, I should be working now anyway, here’s my  opinion:
Spoiler:

It was a really good chapter and it contained probably the saddest scene in the Enclave story arc (well, for me at least) - Blackjack's upgrades.

Her new form.... I'll be honest, I really don't like it. I mean, it's awesome, powerful and all that, but...well... metal legs, sexy, metal everything but her butt, not sexy. Also emotional anguish it causes her... not a fan, really. (Didn't stop me from sketching it though, if it was removable, it would be awesome)

There are probably many theories about Boo, so all I'll ask is - how will she survive being hit by a falling Raptor?

RIP space sword... why am I reminded of Sokka's sword from Avatar... coincident? =P

As for my thoughts regarding the future... (again, I didn't read the comments here, sorry for having an outdated and uninformed opinion, heel free to correct me) before this chapter (or two) I was pretty sure BJ might not get a happy ending and we know her story through some king of records... now she's pregnant and her foal will be a descendent of Twilight Sparkle. of course as it is now, said foal will have to be transplanted to a surrogate mother anyway, but there's no safe way to do it before what seems to be the final showdown with whatever Cognitum might be.

Ok, that's it for my thoughts about the chapter. I only wanted to add that I really enjoy this fanfic, probably more than the original FoE.
Adalbertus
Stallion/Mare

Brohoof! : 21

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

http://www.adalbertus.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver136 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:04 am

I was thinking about BJ's foal that's STILL IN HER AS SHE FALLS INTO THE CORE. Wouldn't enervation still be an issue for an unborn, non-cybernetic foal?

Also, on the topic of cyber alicorny-ness and Mary Sues. I thought the California thing was an interesting touch. It didn't make Blackjack a Mary Sue in any way, considering that she can't use her new powers without a massive power drain. Also, I couldn't help but wonder if the alicorn thing was Somber poking fun at the fact that BJ is Twilight's descendant since she became an alicorn in the show. I believe I remember BJ saying something along the lines of I felt closer to Twilight then I ever had before. But I've got a pretty crappy memory too so...
Silver136
Ursa Minor

Brohoof! : 24

Character List:
Name: Silver Shroud
Sex: Male
Species: Pegasus

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:26 am

Somber wrote:
Spoiler:
I know some people might think Blackjack's upgrades are a bit much.  Trust me.  I DO have a plan.
It hurt to read, but this has been telegraphed for a long time. I mean, of course they're a bit much. That's the point.

Congratulations on making us all feel for a fictional character before she even got in the machine.

Derpmind wrote:"I also found out that Kkat read Horizons up to chapter sixteen and said it was okay... wildly off canon from what she planned... but good." Last I heard she'd only gotten through chapter 4. *Winks, pokes universe* And while all those blogs Kkat's made about her headcanon are nice, I can't apologise for liking your worldbuilding way more.
Well, that's kinda the problem with headcanon, isn't it? Nobody knows about it but you.

Exodus Hero wrote:
Spoiler:
RIP super sword
You say that like Dawn isn't going to show up with it. Or it'll turn up right in front of BJ, sticking point-first into the concrete as if to taunt her that it's not that easy to get rid of.

Icy Shake wrote:“No, you’re making me horny, and I have stable to evacuate, a city to save, a marefriend to reunite with, and your brother to stop before tens of thousands die.  I do not have time for a quickie,” I said before pointing down the hall.

I love this, not least because it strongly echoes the fix made to chapter thirty four.
What fix is that?

Icy Shake wrote:There was doing better, trying harder, and not giving up, and then there was hacking off a perfectly good limb to make a pony a more efficient killing machine.

Am I the only one picking up shades of "Shadowrun"? Though I guess it's probably a common theme, and consistent in particular with the brain bots.
Oh, certainly. The new cyborgs have "cyberpsychosis" written all over them.

Icy Shake wrote:I hope that this wasn't the big scene where she had to decide if she was an executioner or not.
I don't think so. It's more that police sometimes have to shoot down someone who is making themselves a direct threat to innocents. An executioner decides that someone has to die for their crimes or for the greater good; this is simply defending people against someone who refuses to stop.

Downloaded Skill wrote:I knew this was coming the moment I read the chapter, so lets just get this out of the way now. First off let me say that yes, there are classic Mary Sue traits. Being an Alicorn and being powerful are probably two of the most common Mary Sue Traits in MLP fanfics. However simply having a few of these traits does not make you a Mary Sue. What makes you a Mary Sue is how those abilities and characteristics interact with the plot and other characters.
Hear hear!

OneMoreDaySK wrote:And then I realized that it's a space sword. Goodbye Space Sword.
Nooooooooo! Come back, Space Sword!

Last edited by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:27 am

Somber wrote:Forgive me for being rude, Kippershy, but you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
 Dash clapping 
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:33 am

What's the gestation period of a cartoon horse? Is the babydaddy more likely P-21 or Styg? Hmmmm (I know we're probably going with the former).
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Adalbertus on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:44 am

Caoimhe wrote:What's the gestation period of a cartoon horse? Is the babydaddy more likely P-21 or Styg? Hmmmm (I know we're probably going with the former).

Considering that BJ was "in season" during the little bit of gala fun, I'd say P-21 for sure.
Adalbertus
Stallion/Mare

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Caoimhe on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:12 am

Wasn't that just Glory? I thought it was heavily implied that it was mostly her. I know it's most likely P-21 but being Styg's could go along way to add more for BJ's mood during that arc.
Caoimhe
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Adalbertus on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:39 am

Caoimhe wrote:Wasn't that just Glory? I thought it was heavily implied that it was mostly her. I know it's most likely P-21 but being Styg's could go along way to add more for BJ's mood during that arc.

Both Blackjack and Glory got hit at the same time. Remember how Blackjack almost outright suggested a guicky with Lancer even while he had her tied up in her room? That was because she was in heat =P
Adalbertus
Stallion/Mare

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Evilgidgit on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:51 am

My brain is in siv mode again. Why was Marigold (Twilight's moon-landing cousin) under investigation following the space expedition?
Evilgidgit
Earth Pony

Brohoof! : 18

http://evilgidgit.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scienza on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Evilgidgit wrote:My brain is in siv mode again. Why was Marigold (Twilight's moon-landing cousin) under investigation following the space expedition?
She was secretly the surrogate for Twilight's child. So to the outside world, it's as if she suddenly revealed herself to be many months pregnant despite being cleared medically to go to the moon.
Scienza
Shipmistress

Brohoof! : 248

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DkutlaOsterhagen

Back to top Go down

Post by Moodyman90 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:19 pm

I wish I could give a proper answer but the best I can remember it had to deal with the controversy of if she even made it to space or not, let alone landing on the Moon, despite the abundance of moon rocks in the story.

Something along the lines of if Neil Armstrong and the others had been pegged for Commie sympathizers as well as accused of faking the Moon landing is the best parallel I can come up with given my horrible memory of that particular bit of info.

Scienza most likely hit the nail on the head with that one.
Moodyman90
Draconequus

Brohoof! : 163

Character List:
Name: Moody Blues/ Moodstone
Sex: Male/ Male
Species: Earth Pony/ Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derpmind on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Silver136 wrote:I was thinking about BJ's foal that's STILL IN HER AS SHE FALLS INTO THE CORE. Wouldn't enervation still be an issue for an unborn, non-cybernetic foal?

We know that whatever it is that protects BJ from enervation isn't her cybernetics, especially since Boo is also strangely immune too. So far it's probably Discord and/or the Stars that are doing it.
Derpmind
Mindmaster Extraordinaire

Brohoof! : 166

Back to top Go down

Post by Adalbertus on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:18 pm

or... Boo has no soul and cannot feel the soul-draining dead star beneath the city and Blackjack died already, twice, so that might have made her immune to the side effects of dieing. =P
Adalbertus
Stallion/Mare

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Evilgidgit wrote:My brain is in siv mode again. Why was Marigold (Twilight's moon-landing cousin) under investigation following the space expedition?

Since this was brought up I think surrogacy was brought up this chapter I haven't read it myself yet. I just had a discussion with someone who had. Who are they going to transfer the baby (I know it's not a baby yet just using baby for simplicity sake.) into? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it stated earlier in the story that the only chance the procedure had of working was transferring the baby to someone related to you? As far as I can tell only two people are related to BJ, Scotch Tape (Possibly. Through a limited gene pool.) and Grace who is incredibly distantly related.

Maybe if it's put into rampage it will keep regenerating until it finally makes it to term... But she doen't exactly have the best track record as a mother.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:34 pm

Silver136 wrote:BJ's foal that's STILL IN HER AS SHE FALLS INTO THE CORE.

Doesn't ennervation attack the soul? (Or magic or something.) Can't exactly damage a soul that hasn't come in yet. Not claiming to know when a soul comes in on magical horses (Or anything else) but it's just a fertilized egg at this point right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Adalbertus on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Last wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it stated earlier in the story that the only chance the procedure had of working was transferring the baby to someone related to you? As far as I can tell only two people are related to BJ, Scotch Tape (Possibly. Through a limited gene pool.) and Grace who is incredibly distantly related.

Best chance, but not exactly the only chance. Marigold was Twi's cousin, so she was a sure match, a perfect candidate for a quick surrogacy. For other mares you'd have to run tests for compatibility, but it's possible... if pony physiology works in any way similar to humans that is <_<

Last wrote:Doesn't ennervation attack the soul? (Or magic or something.) Can't exactly damage a soul that hasn't come in yet. Not claiming to know when a soul comes in on magical horses (Or anything else) but it's just a fertilized egg at this point right?

Well, it does prevent microbes from developing too. I mean, it liquefies bodies, but doesn't allow them to rot. I guess it's more of a life essence, but intelligent, magical ponies have much more of it then bacteria that decompose a corpse, that's why ponies tend to be affected stronger... so I guess a collection of cells inside Blackjack's heavy armored womb is safe for now.
As for Boo and Blackjack, like I said before, Blackjack died few times already, she might have developed some kind of resistance, especially after the last time. Boo... she's probably just incompatible with other pony life forces, being made out of Discord in a way.
Adalbertus
Stallion/Mare

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:24 pm

Adalbertus wrote:Best chance, but not exactly the only chance. Marigold was Twi's cousin, so she was a sure match, a perfect candidate for a quick surrogacy. For other mares you'd have to run tests for compatibility, but it's possible... if pony physiology works in any way similar to humans that is <_<

Well then there's only two ponies in the group who could carry it. Rampage who if the healing talisman doesn't extend to the devoping child would likely be an even more dangerous option than leaving it where it is or Boo. Pegasus are stated to be very different (My memory's crap but I think this was brought up pretty much everytime the raider disease was.) so I wouldn't imagine Glory would be any option.

Or maybe a nameless 99 survivor could take it.

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Somber wrote:You're right.  She could have simply yanked the wires out.  Ugh... Punishment is HARD!  Killing him because he's about to kill folks just doesn't work.  Maybe if I'd made it so BJ mercy killed him rather than let him suffer (after all, as a cyber pony he could stay like that for hours) rather than under the auspice of stopping him it might have been better.
Maybe she could have yanked the wires and just told him, "It's over"... but maybe the fact that she didn't is significant. Stabbing him rather than just leaving him broken and disabled for the megaspell to finish off seems like a statement, to me.

Last edited by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:33 pm

Somber wrote:I'm not a perfect writer.  Sometimes I do well.  Sometimes not.  What's aggrivating to me is the opinion by so many that the story starts great and becomes bad.  That bodes ill for me as a writer.  It means I got lucky to start, then lacked the skills to pull it off.  So I try my best to understand why the second half is seen as so inferior to the first.  The point you make about BJ's friends is DEFINITELY part of it though.
Endings are hard. It's relatively easy to set up a conflict, but resolving it and all the dangling threads in a satisfying way is probably the most difficult part of writing. It's good that you recognize where you stumbled -- that means you won't make the same mistakes next time. You'll "Do Better".
Lyra
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:59 pm

Icy Shake wrote:I think that this was probably the way to go, for a few reasons. First of all, frankly, the pain (and crippling) had been done, while she was dying of everything. So the alienation angle works better as something newer, while still building on the sense of otherness that was gradually building in the last several chapters leading to Black. Mostly, though, I think it just makes more sense from a character perspective, as she's worked through all kinds of physical pain for most of the story, but nearly been brought down by her emotional baggage. Beyond that, at times she's had a certain satisfaction from the pain she's gone through, because she hates herself and thinks she deserves for the universe to punish her; she doesn't get that from existential unease. Likewise, pain is something that (as you said) she shares with her friends, where what she ended up with is something that separates her from them. Moving on, pain wasn't needed as a limiting factor, because she met the limits of what cyberization could provide anyway, and though impressive and far beyond what normal flesh and blood could take, that wasn't exactly unreasonable. But beyond that, the cyborg being in constant pain is a pretty bad design flaw. Sure, it's fine for a prototype tested on someone you think is a piece of trash who deserves what he has coming to him, but it's not something you want for actual combat troops or if you're going to undergo the process yourself. For those situations, you'd probably want to work out the kinks first.
Luminous Lead wrote:One thing I really liked about Horizons was that the plot happened BECAUSE the characters were who they were, rather than the characters getting dragged around by the plot (main area I felt KKat's original was weak in).
I don't have much to add, but I felt that both these comments deserved reiteration.

swicked wrote:Harry Dresden already had the skull when the story began (honestly, I think it’s rather stupid... whenever he has to figure out how to solve a problem or what kind of magic or creature he’s dealing with, he asks the spirit in the skull and the skull tells him... sometimes on the stipulation that he be let out so he can harass women) and I think he rode the dinosaur in the first book. He got one of the swords from his friend for reasons, and I don’t know what the other sword is from because I haven’t read Dresden in a while.
Bob serves as, basically, an encyclopedia that provides a more interesting scene than cracking the books for a few hours.  And he rode the dinosaur in book 7, Dead Beat. And as for the swords, he doesn't even use them. He's just hanging on to them until they find their rightful wielders (or until said wielders are ready to accept them...)

swicked wrote:His story is about a fully-developed wizard dealing with magical problems. You never really see him grow into the powerhouse he already is when the story starts. His enemies are just as powerful, is all, and he has to use his wits.
This is the important part, and the part that I feel connects to BJ. He ends every book practically beaten to a pulp, and every increase in his power comes with its own cost in humanity or freedom. That's the core conceit of the Dresdenverse magic system, of course, but it's not hard to see the parallels with BJ drifting farther and farther from normal ponyhood.
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Evilgidgit wrote:It's a good name, swicked, though I already have images of Blackjack wielding it Kingdom Hearts style.

I'm not sure if it's a typo or not, but I was just re-reading Chapter 5 to look at Dr. Trottenheimer's diary - what is P.L.? I don't remember any projects beginning with L.
(Steelpony, Chimera, Eternity, Starfall, Redoubt, Partypooper, Horizons).
"Princess Luna."

Entry 3> Goldenblood came to me last night. I’ve no idea how he bypasses security. I’ve never seen him so… disturbed. For once, Goldenblood appeared quite at a loss, and he was truly desperate for my expertise. After Project Horizons and Project Starfall, haven’t I done enough? No. For him, for his faith in believing in me when none would… I owe him this. He swore it would never be used on Princess Luna or Princess Celestia. He said the most peculiar thing: ‘There are greater threats.’ I am uneasy, but I will do this for him. Fortunately, I’ve grown quite adept at keeping secrets from my loved ones; this would only worry them, and the less they know, the safer they’ll be from the Ministry of Morale.

Last edited by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Icy Shake on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:11 pm

SilentCarto wrote:
"HAX!" was kind of what I was thinking, too, since although it's likely that the thumb and finger technology already existed, the professor didn't think to include it for Blackjack, and presumably didn't for Steelpony in general. That said, it's not hard to imagine Lighthooves finding out how useful they are and wanting to add them, but it still leaves the question of how he got something that wasn't within the Steelpony specs, unless Steelpony included the related files for the sand dogs' augmentations.

SilentCarto wrote:

WOOHOO!
When I read this part of the chapter, I was disappointed that there weren't enough people around for the steel chair effect to occur.

SilentCarto wrote:
I really wanted to include something in my running thoughts, but couldn't put into words, something about the pie fight that never happened in Dr. Strangelove because Kubrick couldn't get the actors to take it seriously.

Adalbertus wrote:It really annoys me that every time the new chapter pops up I want to post something relevant here or express my opinion and there's 10+ pages of comments already, that I really don't have the time or patience to read through. Then I feel like a stupid, lazy little kid and I louse all my courage to speak <_<
But yeah, that aside, and no, I did not read through those other posts, forgive me please, I should be working now anyway, here’s my  opinion:
You should have been here when we were filling multiple pages per day, every day, regardless of if there was new content released. Of course, relevance was often pretty low.

Silver136 wrote:I was thinking about BJ's foal that's STILL IN HER AS SHE FALLS INTO THE CORE. Wouldn't enervation still be an issue for an unborn, non-cybernetic foal?
Independent of anything else (but not really helping with a "boat" falling on them), I think it's possible that the Harmony effect that reduces Enervation could apply between a mare and a zygote/embryo/fetus she's carrying. Granted, I have nothing to base this on.

SilentCarto wrote:
Icy Shake wrote:“No, you’re making me horny, and I have stable to evacuate, a city to save, a marefriend to reunite with, and your brother to stop before tens of thousands die.  I do not have time for a quickie,” I said before pointing down the hall.

I love this, not least because it strongly echoes the fix made to chapter thirty four.
What fix is that?

This (said by Blackjack)
Her ears fell…   “But I’m just not drunk enough to forget that I have a mare already.”
became this
“I’m sorry…”  Her ears fell…  “But I’m just not drunk enough to think this is a good time, with the surgery and mission and everything.”
and this (likewise)
“But I am drunk enough that she’ll probably forgive me one kiss.” I pointed out with a laugh as I walked
became this
“But I am drunk enough that one kiss seems okay,” I pointed out with a laugh as I walked to the door.

Adalbertus wrote:
Caoimhe wrote:Wasn't that just Glory? I thought it was heavily implied that it was mostly her. I know it's most likely P-21 but being Styg's could go along way to add more for BJ's mood during that arc.

Both Blackjack and Glory got hit at the same time. Remember how Blackjack almost outright suggested a guicky with Lancer even while he had her tied up in her room? That was because she was in heat =P
And don't forget how he accused her of ensorcelling him to make him want her sexually.
Icy Shake
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 308

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCarto on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:12 pm

O. Hinds wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:Scoured.
Why?
"Scourged" means "whipped" or "beaten". "Scoured" means "scrubbed" or "removed completely". Only the latter makes sense in this context.

O. Hinds wrote:
SilentCarto wrote:Or you could use the one Steel Rain gave you.
...What?
Oh, just thinking of that plastic doodad Steel Rain presented to her at the coronation. I was expecting Chekhov to fire that gun in this chapter.
SilentCarto
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Luminous Lead on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:20 pm

I've been taking an optics course in university, and one of the things we've been learning about is interference and diffraction.

If Enervation is some kind of radiation (it seems to vary with distance to the the source and travel incredibly fast), then depending on the factors (wavelength, source size, number of sources) it might actually be interfering with itself, or diffracting around certain areas, odd as that may seem.  This could account for the blind spots and safe zones, especially if there's a whole slew of transmitters around the area.

Last edited by Luminous Lead on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luminous Lead
Earth Pony

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Luminous%20Lead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 34 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top