Welcome to Cloudsville. If you're new, don't forget to sign up and say hi in the Introduction forum.

Conviction Discussion thread

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Conviction Discussion thread

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:08 am

What? I don't... I wasn't implying there was something wrong with them. Just that's not the reaction I had.

I have no ida what's going on. Was I being an asshole?

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:07 am

This fic is over!
The author has decided to convert what he has and what he was going to write into an entirely original IP novel.
While I look forward to it, given it'll probably take year(s) to finish and he won't be posting any more chapters in the meantime, I only hope I am somehow made aware of when this awesome story is finally available for purchase. 
Until then it's hardly the first fic I've really liked that will not be putting out any more updates, so yeah. Time to look to the recommendations thread for more dark stories that aren't fallout or the vanilla universe plus a murderer.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 960

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:10 am

So no Solar Tyrant? This will be interesting to see how much he changes the roles. Will they still be the same species? Don't think Hasbro has domination over EP-Pegasi-Unicorn-Alicorns, but I guess parallels would be too close for comfort.

Main plot points I'm guessing stay the same:
Two sides of a war (NMM War), lost leader (Lulu) and best friend (can't remember her name of the top of my head at the moment), vengeance against enemies, assasination of generals (Conviction!EoH). And rediscovery of purpose possibly?
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Sex: Female
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboRed on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 pm

Where did you find out this info anyways?

------------------
Aonee wrote:
jacky2734 wrote:((Aonee, don't make me invent a way to punch you over the internet.))
((If you do, I will invent a Korean technique to block it with someone else's face. And, construct more pylons.))

CamoBadger wrote:((Wow, zebra incest is powerful shit))

Mister Frost's friend, "Darren" wrote:"I'm scared to break up with her, though. Her dad's an ex-marine; if I make her cry he'll club me over the head with a pillowcase full of doorknobs and Tom Clancy novels."

Sindri wrote:This is a thread for fans of a fanfiction of a fanfiction about murderous miniature pastel equines in a grimdark post-apocalyptic future.
If you wanted to stay anywhere near socially acceptable, you should have taken a left turn about three layers of WTF back.

RoboRed
Royal Alicorn

Brohoof! : 717

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by OneMoreDaySK on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:51 pm

Y1 wrote:
>> swicked

I'll making a blog explaining soon, but I've decided to re-write Conviction as an original novel.
OneMoreDaySK
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 56

Character List:
Name: Alouette
Species: Unicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:05 am

swicked wrote:>> Y1
Mmmk, so that'll be the end 'till it's published?
If so, thanks for everything you already put out. It's been a blast :pinkiesmile:
Y1 wrote:>> swicked
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
But yeah, that'll more or less be it until the novel is complete.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:49 pm

He's not going to continue any of his other stories, either.

Well, he'll rework them into new (non-MLP) stories, too. Some years later.

I liked Penumbra...
Valikdu
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 192

Character List:
Name: Ion Storm
Species: First One

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Oh? Did he finally make that blog post?
I don't think I'm following him anymore and didn't care for his other stories.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Well, Penumbra was great. While it lasted.
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:39 pm

He isn't? Damn, that sucks. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name: Azure Sunrise
Sex: female
Species: Hippogryph

Back to top Go down

Post by OBS.GS.§S on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:19 pm

After just beginning to read this Fic, I can already say that it is a shame that there will be no more chapters coming out. Though I am happy to hear that it will be coming out as a complete Novel, I am slightly saddened to hear it will not feature ponies, though I understand and support the author in pursuing their own original IP, perhaps it will be even better than this version! I wish them the best of luck, I can only imagine how exciting and breathtakingly difficult an endeavor it is to tackle not just writing a Novel, but one where the entire world is of their own creation.

That being said, I would like to share an idea I came up with of how Generosity and Kindness might manifest themselves in this universe.

Though as a disclaimer I have not read even half the Fic yet nor discussed it with anyone, so keep that in mind if the ideas are terrible.

Generosity:
Perhaps Generosity's power lies in amplification of some kind? In the show, the thing Rarity is most known for is making clothing. She has made dresses for the Mane 6 as well as an assorted inventory of other clothing and designs which I assume are sold to the average customer. Normally, ponies do not wear clothing, but they do on special occasions, most of the time to augment their appearance, and in other times to augment their body's ability to survive the harshness of nature as well as each other in the case of armor. Rarity in my eyes has an affinity for making others, better. In the context of this universe for combat capability, a bear of Generosity might have a knack for augmenting and empowering their allies, either through magic enhancements specific to the pony being enchanted, or through armor and weapons masterfully made. As for Rarity's powerful telekinesis, perhaps that could simply be a side effect of the “Amplification” attribute. A key difference however between this amplification and the element of Magic would be in the versatility, complexity, and scale the element of Magic could wield its power, much more intricate and far-reaching than a simple “power boost”. That is not to say that the element of Generosity is lesser though, since though the element of Magic may be strong on its own, Generosity can make its friends much stronger in a way that Magic cannot really compete with I think.

Kindness:
Much like Generosity, I believe Kindness would find it's power to be at its most powerful when used through others. I agree with Swicked that Mind Control is likely the main attribute of this element, the variety however, is in how this supernatural charisma can be applied beyond simply dominating another. A bearer of Kindness with any kind of ambition would likely find themselves in the seat of power, bending enemies to his or her will and bringing allies to fanaticism through looks and words alone. However, allies and domination aside, a bearer of this element could “fight” through a much more subtle means through misdirection and taking advantage of an enemy's feelings. I can hardly think of something more devious than making an enemy believe that they are in control of their actions, never suspecting that they were simply being manipulated by a pony they would never believe to be any more than a smiling face, let alone an element bearer.
OBS.GS.§S
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 5

Character List:
Name: Flashpoint
Species: Earth Pony

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomManta on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Just thought I'd give y'all a little bit of a heads up. I was (one of?) Conviction's main editors, and I keep fairly regular contact with y1. A bout a month or so back I convinced him to resurrect this fic, and lo and behold, a new chapter will be coming just as soon as I finish editing it.

Last edited by DoomManta on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total

DoomManta
Colt/Filly

Brohoof! : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:17 pm

DoomManta wrote:Just thought I'd give ya'll a little bit of a heads up. I was (one of?) Conviction's main editors, and I keep fairly regular contact with y1. A bout a month or so back I convinced him to resurrect this fic, and lo and behold, a new chapter will be coming just as soon as I finish editing it.
The actual ponyfic or the original IP? Either one would be awesome. Rainbow
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Brohoof! : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomManta on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Stringtheory wrote:
DoomManta wrote:Just thought I'd give ya'll a little bit of a heads up. I was (one of?) Conviction's main editors, and I keep fairly regular contact with y1. A bout a month or so back I convinced him to resurrect this fic, and lo and behold, a new chapter will be coming just as soon as I finish editing it.
Actual ponyfic. 

I always was of the opinion that reworking Conviction into an original story wasn't practical due to the background that it builds off. The damn thing already has a 40k word prologue, and that's without having to explain anything about this whole Luna/Celestia war thing.

DoomManta
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:21 pm

DoomManta wrote:
Stringtheory wrote:
Actual ponyfic. 

I always was of the opinion that reworking Conviction into an original story wasn't practical due to the background that it builds off. The damn thing already has a 40k word prologue, and that's without having to explain anything about this whole Luna/Celestia war thing.
Yeah, you'd probably need a prequel novel or two to properly flesh out the background, still would probably be a great read.
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:23 pm

Well, ain't that all kindsa sweetness.
Thanks a ton, DoomManta. Conviction was seriously my absolute favorite pony fic.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Frost on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:31 pm

Ain't that some shit. I'll be lookin' forward to it.
Frost
Crazed Gun-Toting 'Murican

Brohoof! : 502

Character List:
Name:
Sex:
Species:

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:12 pm

Quick question: How many places have you posted this announcement?
Just curious how many other places are talking about the fic.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guarddogjr on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Cool, I'm looking forward to the new chapter.
Guarddogjr
The Chicken Man

Brohoof! : 134

Character List:
Name: Azure Sunrise
Sex: female
Species: Hippogryph

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomManta on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:29 pm

swicked wrote:
Quick question: How many places have you posted this announcement?
Just curious how many other places are talking about the fic.

Last time I really looked (which admittedly was a while ago), this is the only discussion I found that wasn't in Conviction's comment section. So, nowhere else.

DoomManta
Colt/Filly

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:06 am

Hmmm... that's unfortunate. It's a good fic.
Hopefully you and Y1 will be willing to comment on here from time to time. I really don't care much for fimfic's comment system.
I like to do reading reviews sometimes and the lack of ability to collapse long comments into spoiler tags (plus the fact that the page width there's less than half what it is here, at least on my screen) makes the whole thing pretty cumbersome.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:16 am

swicked wrote:Hmmm... that's unfortunate. It's a good fic.
Hopefully you and Y1 will be willing to comment on here from time to time. I really don't care much for fimfic's comment system.
I like to do reading reviews sometimes and the lack of ability to collapse long comments into spoiler tags (plus the fact that the page width there's less than half what it is here, at least on my screen) makes the whole thing pretty cumbersome.
Well, it's miles light-years ahead of fanfiction.net in terms of design so I'm hardly complaining.
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:22 am

Well, I don't go there, so I can't say I care.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:24 am

swicked wrote:Well, I don't go there, so I can't say I care.
That's probably for the best.
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valikdu on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:43 am

Stringtheory wrote:
swicked wrote:Well, I don't go there, so I can't say I care.
That's probably for the best.

No real rating system. Hard to actually find good writing.
Valikdu
Alicorn

Character List:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Stringtheory wrote:Well, it's miles light-years ahead of fanfiction.net in terms of design so I'm hardly complaining.

FF vs FiMF:
Fanfiction.net's got a few good stories

I can honestly say that was my first My Little Pony Fanfiction that I ever read

Alas, it was the only one that managed to hold my interest; at least until I found FiMFiction

Although there are a few stories on FF.net that I recognize from FiMFiction; looks like most bronies have abandoned it though
-

As to Conviction itself...

I like it. The chapters are interesting enough to keep me reading, yet not long enough to make me have to pause halfway through and go do something else.

Rather brutal at points, but I'm rather used to that at this point.

Poor Song/Slight.

Hm...one thing that perked my ears up though was that she has "Light" in her name...

I wonder if she'll eventually warm up to Celestia.

Heh, doubt it, since she's more-or-less vowed to wipe out the Harmony Bearers for slaughtering her family.
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stringtheory on Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:
Stringtheory wrote:Well, it's miles light-years ahead of fanfiction.net in terms of design so I'm hardly complaining.

FF vs FiMF:
Fanfiction.net's got a few good stories

I can honestly say that was my first My Little Pony Fanfiction that I ever read

Alas, it was the only one that managed to hold my interest; at least until I found FiMFiction

Although there are a few stories on FF.net that I recognize from FiMFiction; looks like most bronies have abandoned it though
I too started out on fanfiction.net and I don't doubt there probably are good MLP fics on it still. However, my main criticism of it is one of design. Fimfic is a sleek web 2.0 design that gets updates fairly regularly, while fanfiction.net should be brought up on charges of Crimes Against UI Design.
Stringtheory
Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinylshadow on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Agreed...

Trivial griping:
Another website that got a major layout overhaul was fanart-central.net

Although it seemed like they lost everything in the transition because there were a few Pokemon fanfics that I had read that no longer exist...as well as an incestuous furry fic I found really interesting since it dealt with bullying remarkably well...
Granted, this was back in the early 2000s, so...
-

Really hope Song makes some friends; otherwise she's definitely going to die a gruesome death in rather short order...
Vinylshadow
Alicorn

Brohoof! : -8

Character List:
Name: Midnight Runner/Noon Walker
Sex: Mare/Stallion
Species: Pegasus

http://songbreeze741.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:13 pm

Vinylshadow wrote:Really hope Song makes some friends; otherwise she's definitely going to die a gruesome death in rather short order...
I haven't read this in a long while, but I really hope she doesn't make friends at all. At least, not anytime soon.
No one could care as much about her mission as she does and I don't want anyone to temper her. To try and give her a reason to think outside of that mission.
She isn't dark-enough yet. She has despaired and raged, but there isn't enough hate in her. I want her to become something explicitly unsettling. A real monster.
She gave mercy to that medic, But she eventually becomes a legend as something horrible. Even a glimmer of happiness should not come so easily in this tale.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by swicked on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:19 pm

At most, I wouldn't mind someone trying to be her friend, or maybe even Slight trying to be friendly, only to have that door broken across her face as the forces of the sun (maybe even an element-bearer) kill the person before her. Or maybe she could even betray them for the mission.
The world is lacking in stories where hate conquers love.

swicked
Royal Alicorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top